Thread: Hayao Miyazaki Announces Retirement

SW-2628-7394-6108 Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Note Hayao Miyazaki Announces Retirement

Sad panda is sad.

http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/Hay...direction.html

Today brings us some rather major breaking news, as it's being reported that Studio Ghibli's world-renowned director Hayao Miyazaki is to step down from directing any further feature films at the age of 72, making his current work Kaze Tachinu his last film in such a role.

There's little requirement to expound upon Mr. Miyazaki's legacy - a simple look through Studio Ghibli's back catalogue, or his work prior to that on the likes of Future Boy Conan and Lupin III movie The Castle of Cagliostro, gives you an idea of the huge worldwide influence and popularity of his work.

The news, revealed in a press conference at the Venice International Film Festival, seems to suggest that Hayao Miyazaki will continue in some role at Studio Ghibli, in a supervisory capacity or possibly even directing short films and the like, but this marks an interesting line in the sand for the studio of which he is such a huge part, and no doubt all eyes will be firmly trained upon Ghibli to see how it proceeds over the coming years. This also isn't the first time that Miyazaki has announced his retirement, so it also remains to be seen as to whether it will be a permanent move on this occasion.
    What is your favorite Miyazaki film? Thoughts?

(Mine will always be Castle in the Sky <3 <3 <3)
    winner of the (a)ncient (2009), (v)intage, (2009), (v)eteran award (2011), (e)veryone wins! (2011),
    (q)ueenly (2012), (y)ara sofia with Oslo (2012), (l)egalized (2014), (d)ream (2015), (a)ctive (2019), and (e)ighth generation unown awards! thanks TPM!

member since day 1

#OccupyMtMoon
    TPMNoVA12 ~ Hopes and Dreams ~ Team Birdo
    TPMUK12 ~ Drink the Pounds Away ~ Groceries

3DS Code: 3325-3072-6715
    GO Code: 1336-7550-2201
    You Are Awesome.

I Finnished last Moderator

Default Re: Hayao Miyazaki Announces Retirement

My Neighbor Totoro (となりのトトロ) was the first anime movie I ever watched. Later, I watched Spirited Away (千と千尋の神隠し) and The Cat Returns (猫の恩返し), great movies too. Children-friendly enough to be shown on daytime in our television.

Does it look like I care? Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Like for reals Spirited Away and Ponyo were the best in my opinion. I was lucky enough to find a post on Tumblr with a link to some of his films, I reblogged it so I have something to do today.
    The link to my tumblr if you want to watch the movies So if you need something to do this labor day watch those ^_^
    *Will probably be yelled at because this might count as advertising*

Are you ready for this?
    Vs Seeker
    Adventure, another Pokemon Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Heald View Post
    I'm sorry, you're confusing me with someone who gives a shit.

Jump, little Snorlax, jump! Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald_Gen.3 View Post
    Like for reals Spirited Away and Ponyo were the best in my opinion.
    Agreed!

Yeah, this news broke my heart a little. It's always a disappointment when something hits a golden age and then gradually loses whatever it was that made it spectacular (Pixar post-TS3? or is it still too early to call?), but Miyazaki somehow steered clear of this trend. I admire his wish to go out on a creative high note so even though I'm bummed I still respect his decision.
    Last edited by Oslo; 3rd September 2013 at 02:02 AM.

Cheesecake! Moderator

Kiki's Delivery Service, Ponyo and Princess Mononoke.

All timeless films.
    Why Linux is better.

Can't live without IRC.

Happy 10 Year Anniversary Mikachu: