Thread: Replace the Battery in your Game Cartridge! **56k warning**

Hybrid View

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Default Re: Replace the Battery in your Game Cartridge! **56k warning**

Hi

is there anyone how lives in nsw in australia who i could get to solder my games as i have 3 games and they have all died and i couldn't do any of the stuff that you need to. i would pay for postage and send the equipment too. i would also put a good word out about you.

Hi Swinubisdabest, I live in the USA, though I don't think you need to be very experienced in soldering to replace a battery in a GSC cartridge. You could do it yourself, saving the trouble of sending your game to someone. If you get a battery that already has tabs attached, it should be a quick replacement. (You can purchase them from Digi-Key. http://www.digikey.com/ Search for part # P223-ND)

You just need to hold the iron so that its tip touches the lump of solder that holds the battery tab to the board. When you see the solder melt, you can use some pliers to pull the tab out of the molten solder.

When you want to put the new battery in, just lay it so that its tabs are resting on the solder pads (Make sure that the positive and negative polarities of the battery match up with the plus and minus symbols on the circuit card). When you hold the soldering iron to the end of the tab, the solder will melt and form to the tab. If you need to add solder, just touch some to the tab, and it will melt. When you see that the molten solder contains the end of the tab, and is touching the contact on the board, just remove the soldering iron and the connection will harden.

If you have access to a soldering iron, and can hold it steady without touching any other parts of the circuit card, you should not have any problems replacing the battery on your own. If you are worried about messing up, just practice soldering things together, or find a friend who could do it.
    Last edited by Master Kirby; 22nd March 2007 at 03:59 PM.
    Have an old pokemon cartridge laying around collecting dust?

Join the Pokemon RBY Speedrun
    or
    GSC Speed Completion Challenge

How fast can you beat the game?

If your game can't save anymore, replace it's battery!

The King of Games Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Master Kirby, I think this is great guide for people to replace their batteries. Its really easy and seems very simple to do. i'm thinking i might do it should my battery ever die. thankfully, as of now, they're still alive and kicking. but yea, this is a great guide and i recommend that anyone with the tools should do this is they want to replace their batteries

~The Italian Stallion
    SupremeChampion
    To Be The Best, You've Got To Beat The Best
    Create your own destiny, and never fear failure...
    Proud Member of the Public Beatin' Club! HIZZAH!
    Up Here