Thread: 2007 TPM D/P Monotype Challenge

Threaded View

Ultimate Virtual Pokémon Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Default Re: 2007 TPM D/P Monotype Challenge

Name: Rita
    Type: Ghost

Down I went into Team Galactic HQ. I navigated the route to the Galactic Key, grabbing all of the item balls and hidden items along the way and smacking around all of the Team Galactic goons. Using the key, I got into the main complex and worked my way around to Cyrus' office. Cyrus probably should have been tough, with two of his three pokémon Dark-type, but I was too high-level and too strategically move-equipped to balk at what he had to offer.
    I was a little wierded out at what he had to offer after the battle. The game's ultimate bad guy just gave me the Master Ball!? Oookay...after reading the reports on Cyrus' laptop in his office, I headed down to the secret lab, ground Commander Saturn into the floor and released the three Pokémon of the Lakes.
    With that place cleared out, I next Flew to Oreburgh and entered Mt. Coronet. The multiple paths going up the mountain were confusing enough that I had to write out a guide as I went, but eventually I reached Spear Pillar. Commander Jupiter's Skuntank proved a serious obstacle for me, especially with Corey playing at less than optimum. I lost both Shadow and Arcanum to it before Corey's Staraptor finally finished it. I was dreading taking on Cyrus again after that, until Corey healed my team after the battle. Then the three Spirit Pokémon shut down Palkia, and Cyrus and I met for a final showdown.
    Cyrus opened with Honchkrow; I, unfortunately, had Zephyr in the lead. I used up a turn switching to Shadow, and Honchkrow got in a Drill Peck that almost took Shadow down to half HP. Shadow's Brick Break did about the same to Honchkrow, and then Honchkrow used Dark Pulse and fainted Shadow. I cursed and sent in Arcanum. Cyrus used a Super Potion while I struck with Shadow Ball; Honchkrow came out of that turn with only a tiny bit fewer HP. Next turn, a second Shadow Ball nearly fainted Honchkrow, while Honchkrow's answering Drill Peck took Arcanum down to half. One more Shadow Ball took down Honchkrow.
    Cyrus sent out Weavile next. This would have been a great time to have Shadow conscious...in fact, I spent the turn using a Max Revive on Shadow. Weavile, strangely, opted for X-Scissor, a Bug-type move that was ineffective against Arcanum; this gave Arcanum a chance to peg Weavile with a Magical Leaf before fainting to a Night Slash. In went Shadow, and one Brick Break later, down went Weavile.
    Naturally, Cyrus followed Weavile with Crobat, a great pokémon to use Arcanum against. I gritted my teeth and stuck with Shadow. A Shadow Ball took Crobat down to half health, while Crobat made the monumentally stupid choice of using Cross Poison, which did next to nothing to Shadow. A second Shadow Ball polished off Crobat.
    Cyrus' final pokémon was a Gyarados. I crossed my fingers, stuck with Shadow and launched yet another Shadow Ball. A critical hit put Gyarados well in the red, while Gyarados' answering Aqua Tail took Shadow only a little past half. Cyrus used a Full Restore while Shadow Shadow Balled again. This time I didn't score a crit, leaving Gyarados with a little more than half health. The next turn, another Shadow Ball put Gyarados back in the red, and then I lucked out enormously when Gyarados opted for Ice Fang instead of another Aqua Tail. The Ice Fang hurt a lot, but barely failed to polish off Shadow. One more Shadow Ball ended the battle.
    Prof. Rowan and Lucas encouraged me to face Palkia and bring it back under control. I was not in any mood to fool around by this point, so I simply chucked Cyrus' Master Ball on Turn 1, and the Master of Space and Dimensions was brought under control. I picked up the Lustrous Orb for the heck of it, and then stepped into the nearby cave mouth and used Dig to wind up back in Route 207.

Team:

Zephyr L52
    Shadow Ball, Ominous Wind, Gust, Stockpile
    I'm hoping to get a better Flying attack for this guy. Unfortunately, it can't learn Aerial Ace, and I'm iffy about Fly in-battle.

Arcanum L53
    Shadow Ball, Magical Leaf, Psychic, Perish Song
    Pretty much just generic special sweeping. Perish Song for a trump card.

Shadow L53
    Shadow Punch, Dark Pulse, Shadow Ball, Brick Break
    With a FTG attack and the team's best physical Defense, this guy's my Anti-Dark personnel.

ARMY L23
    Rock Climb, Strength, Cut, Rock Smash
    A one-time battler, now retired to RMer status.

NAVY L8
    Dig, Flash, Surf, Tail Whip
    One more Water RM to go.

AIR FORCE L7
    Fly, Defog, Quick Attack, Tackle
    The obligatory Miniscule Bird That Somehow Supports My Weight.

Next: Nothing cheers up Gym Leaders like getting whupped, amirite!?
    Last edited by Poryhedron; 19th April 2008 at 03:45 AM.

Poryhedron's Monotype Challenges
    Winner of the 2007 Pokéhelper Unown Award! Glad I could be of help!
    Pokémon GO: Level 37, Team Mystic