Thread: Ask a TPMer

for all seasons Moderator

Arrow Ask a TPMer

ITT: Ever wondered anything about your fellow members? Here, you ask away. It's one part learning, one part sharing, all parts fun! General rules apply.

To start...

Heald... How is it pronounced? Is it like 'held', or is it like 'healed'?

And here's a more generalized one. All Canadian members... How are you feeling about the Vancouver riots?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
    Tony is gay for little Snorlax.

Watch my YouTube to support my drug habit

I Finnished last Moderator

Default Re: Ask a TPMer

DragoKnight, can you steal a question ITT and answer it even if it wasn't targetted at you?

If yes, then someone who has used handloom might know about Heald.

GRRRRR ARRRRGH

DK: I feel they're all a bunch of idiots who would have used any excuse to 'one-up' those other twits from 1994. I doubt it would have been any different if the Canucks had won, they just wanted to destroy something.

Magmar: Why do you have a Magnamite with human face in your sig?
    Whoot.
    *Dad talking about his filling.*
    PL: Did it fall out?
    Dad: Yeah! ****in' thing only lasted two days.
    PL: Huh.
    Dad. I can stick my tongue down in my hole--
    He just stops.
    *hilarity ensues*

Mom: We're one warped family.
    *through hiccups*
    PL: I didn't know you were that flexible!

Winner of five Awards in RPG, including Best Writer.
    Winner of 2009 Golden Pen for Most Original Fiction

PSN: River_in_Time
    XBOX tag: DameSquishdalot

The hair trigger is back! Moderator

DragoKnight: Honestly, I wasn't happy seeing the riots in Vancouver after the Canucks lost the Stanley Cup Final...what were those people thinking? The whole event made me think of my aunt who happens to live in Vancouver; thankfully she didn't get near the rioting.
    Knight of Time

Legend of Zelda fan for life.

Owner of the Zelda Unown Trophy (2011), the Gamer Unown Trophy (2012), the Hangman Trophy (2014), the Have you played this game? Unown Trophy (2015), and the Hard Worker Trophy (2019)

Discord Handle: Knight of Time#4253

Moderator of GGG since April 2, 2020

SW-2628-7394-6108 Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Someone here (may have been Jeff) posted a Pokemon with Human Faces thread and the Magnemite just reminded me of how I felt at the time about having to be at work in an hour... At least, that's what I recall. That, and one of my best friends knows nothing about Pokemon, but openly tells everyone with valor that her favorite pokemon is "Magmite", so I'm predisposed to calling a little extra attention to dear old magnemite lol.

Firepokemon: Why do you judge us but never show your true face to TPM? Granted we all do that to an extent, but it's been over 11 years, don't we all know each other on a slightly higher personal level than that?

Mikachu: What are you doing for your birthday
    winner of the (a)ncient (2009), (v)intage, (2009), (v)eteran award (2011), (e)veryone wins! (2011),
    (q)ueenly (2012), (y)ara sofia with Oslo (2012), (l)egalized (2014), (d)ream (2015), (a)ctive (2019), and (e)ighth generation unown awards! thanks TPM!

member since day 1

#OccupyMtMoon
    TPMNoVA12 ~ Hopes and Dreams ~ Team Birdo
    TPMUK12 ~ Drink the Pounds Away ~ Groceries

3DS Code: 3325-3072-6715
    GO Code: 1336-7550-2201
    You Are Awesome.

Cloyster Moderator

http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=20686

Drago, actually. And sadly the link doesn't work anymore.
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Facebook - YouTube - Miiverse
    Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS
    3DS: 3866 8018 5231 - AIM: IslanderJeff02
    Joined November 8, 2004 - Modded October 24, 2008

Dragon Tamer Administrator
    Administrator
    34.625 S, 58.50595 W (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

I usually just ask when I have a question, but... let's see...

Shadow_wolf, have you noticed anything unusual with the forum interface lately?

Roy Karrde, how is 'Karrde' pronounced? Is it like 'Card'?

Wolfsong, classy_cat18, lvl100mewtwo and *Murkrow, you are going to post your Dragon Games battles, aren't you?

Annual Unown Awards: Kind (2007), Friendly, Queen (2008), Dedicated (2009), She found Kevin! (2009),
    Everyone wins (2011), Tea, World traveler (2012), Busy, Patient (2013),
    Durga, Firefox, Twenty Thousand Hidden Posts (2014), Helpful (2015),
    Active, Discord, Letter, Unown Awards 2019 (2019).

Don't forget to visit the Dragon's Guild and Dragon Tamers site.
    ✭Ask me about AC/CC. Adopt a pokemon and Join!✭

The real Shonta Moderator

Gabi: Yes, there's no need to worry about that. *yawns*
    Random Quote:
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

My XBox Live gamertag is gleameyes26. Feel free to add me!

Vote for your favorite fanmade video game lyricshere!

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

Quote Originally Posted by DragoKnight View Post
    Heald... How is it pronounced? Is it like 'held', or is it like 'healed'?
    Aw damn it, I never even considered those options. I just looked at it years ago and instantly my mind locked onto 'HEE-alld.'

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

Rl #32:Enjoy The Little Things Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Gabi: To be honest, I can't say for sure. When I visit TPM, I just post at the topics I'm active, do a quick check-up of new threads, and leave the forum. But in my stops at TPM, I haven't noticed anything. Sometimes I feel like the forum takes too much time on loading, but I consider that to be a problem in my network connection (unless it has happened to others). Did you notice something out of the ordinary? I also believe that this question should be made to others.

I consider my questions to be dumb, but... here goes!

Lady Vulpix: How can I write this... have you felt like the forum has somehow degraded? (I don't know if that is the right word, but what I mean is... that the rules are being bypassed, the friendly environment is somehow disappearing... those kinds of things)

Blademaster: Either if you behave like a fun guy, or like a... well, the opposite, you come up with awesome jokes. How do you do it?

...but somehow, I also feel like you're looking for something you've lost (if that's the way to say it). Is this just my imagination? If it is, then don't mind me. (sorry if this sounds too personal, you don't have to answer if you don't want to)

Roy Karrde: I noticed that you like to discuss political issues and the like. Have you considered taking a politician career (no flaming or anything like it intended. just curiosity)

On a side note: I've always wondered if it will be good to create a thread in where we could evaluate the TPM members (like telling their pros and cons and giving advice on how to improve as members), but I've been afraid that it will turn into a flaming thread.

To all members who want to answer: Have you thought of an idea, or a thread that you would like to share, but haven't done it because of possible consequences?

Optimist award 2012.

“There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate.” (Linda Grayson)

Thank you everyone... for being so kind and for bringing out the best in me! You are definitely awesome! ^_^

~HOPES AND DREAMS~ Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Shadow Wolf: Yes, because I always have these unusual but fun ideas that are totally different from what TPM is used to (mainly talking about RPG) but sometimes I'm afraid to post them because it seems like things that aren't what people are used to tend to get shot down pretty quickly. And its disheartening to work really hard on something only to have it dismissed very quickly.

I'll ask some questions later after I've had time to rest from a long day/commute

.: Ben + Brandy :.
    .: September 14th 2012 :.

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf View Post
    Blademaster: Either if you behave like a fun guy, or like a... well, the opposite, you come up with awesome jokes. How do you do it?
    My mind moves faster than my mouth. Give me a keyboard and a few seconds to articulate my thoughts, and bam. Take the keyboard away and I'm a stuttering wreck that speaks maybe once every hour or so.

...but somehow, I also feel like you're looking for something you've lost (if that's the way to say it). Is this just my imagination?
    I'm looking for a lot, but they're mostly things I haven't ever had before.

With one exception... I had one precious something that is now gone... And I'd give anything to have her back. Even if things are different than they were, I'd be happy just to know she's still out there somewhere, alive and happy like I remember.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

2 hot to hold, 2 cold to fold Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

DK: WHERE ARE MY AUSSIE ULTIMATE TEAM PICTURES!?!?!

i Judge your entertainment!
    Entertaining quotes!
    From textsfromlastnight.com:

(518): I legitimately just tried to piss above my head. I got to my chest at highest. There's piss everywhere.

(801): I can't help but be optimistic. I'm like a ball of slutty sunshine.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Ooh! I love this thread!

Mikachu Yukitatsu, can you explain your avatar and signature? I've been wondering about it for awhile, and I always notice it when I'm on TPM!

Shadow Wolf- yes! I like your question posed to all. I have a couple of ideas for threads that I'd like to share, but as a TPM newbie, I also want to be respectful and not post every thing that comes to mind.

For instance, I've thought about making a post in fanfiction about doing a buddy writing system to edit each other's work to motivate each other to work on our writing and fix mistakes. Granted, I don't write fanfic- I write academic journal articles- but I'm always extremely appreciate of having someone read over my work for edits, and if I can reciprocate in any way, I'd like to be able to do so.

I'll think of more questions to ask
    ------------------------------
    http://rkivic.com

Thank you TPM Friends for the nice Award!
    Signature courtesy of Mikachu Yukitatsu

Administrator

In response to Louis's post: there's a reason why I asked you and only you, but I guess that change was either transparent to you (i.e. you haven't noticed) or null (i.e. it did not take effect). This may be weird, but could you please copy/paste the phrase that appears at the top-right corner of the screen, where your username is? Thanks in advance for helping me test a feature which no one will ever care about.

As for the quality of the posts degrading, I'm not sure. I've only noticed that kind of behavior in Misc and Mt. Moon, and as far as I can remember these two forums have always been that way.

Becky: ideas to promote activity are always welcome, please don't hold back. Unless you're afraid of letting people think that you're really Brian in disguise. And since this is ask a TPMer, I must ask: are you? I hope not, because pretending to be someone you're not is a nasty thing to do. If you were him, I'd much rather you came forward than keep trying to deceive us. But I'm going to assume you're not because I'd like to believe Brian is beyond that kind of behavior, although I'd really like to see him here again, even if it's just once a month or so.

Annual Unown Awards: Kind (2007), Friendly, Queen (2008), Dedicated (2009), She found Kevin! (2009),

I Finnished last Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Magmar View Post
    Mikachu: What are you doing for your birthday
    Read and reply to my birthday thread, and wish for more Finnish replies. Also other TPM stuff, probably. I'm feeling a bit down because some of my best friends can't come to our club house Mielikkitalo the exact day, but they'll come today and we'll play games and record a Haruhi dance video which I'm not going to put into internet, sorry. I'll also have a cake on Sunday and hopefully presents too.

To all members who want to answer: Have you thought of an idea, or a thread that you would like to share, but haven't done it because of possible consequences?
    Yeah, for example, a proposition for my 10-year TPM anniversary in September. I'm not going to post it, at least not yet, but will do if the people are interested enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    Mikachu Yukitatsu, can you explain your avatar and signature? I've been wondering about it for awhile, and I always notice it when I'm on TPM!
    My current avatar has Oddish with the flag of Finland, that's what you can see already, but in the flag of Finland, I have drawn Jutta Urpilainen, the chairwoman of Finland's second biggest political party SDP. I change my signature every month, but now it has Super Mario flying from an airplane much like Pasi Nurminen, the Finnish goaltender who fell off with the trophy in the airport after celebrating too heavily the IIHF 2011 Championship victory. I always draw both my avatar and my signature myself.

Master Trainer

Gabi:

A-Let's see... like this?

Bienvenido(a), Shadow Wolf.
    Entraste por última vez: Hoy a las 08:10 PM

BTW, I noticed now that it is in spanish, which makes me feel more comfortable browsing through the forum. Is this the change? (because if it is, I have to say is an awesome job Gabi, honestly)

B-I see... well, maybe it's me overreacting. Lately, I've been feeling pretty sensible over stuff... ^_^;

C-That question you made to Becky left me with my jaw on the floor. It's really brave from you to ask that. I wonder if I'm naive by saying that I didn't thought of asking that.

Blade: See what I mean, I'm over here laughing like an idiot after reading that comment of yours (just imagining you in mute mode without an ergonomic keyboard is too much for my imagination), jajajajajajaja

But... ah.... the never-ending story (the story of our special someone). A name comes to mind, but my mouth prefers to keep quiet on this one. I can only say that somehow, I regret asking the question, but at the same time, I feel kinda happy, because you shared this with me (somehow, it makes me feel like I'm not the only one going through problems in that topic and it also reminds me that I have friends here at TPM).

Asy: The fear of rejection... yeah, it can somehow frustrate people. But I don't think that should stop you from sharing your ideas. After all, everyone is different, and I'm sure someone will read it (even though they might be afraid to reply). IDK, try sharing your ideas with someone close to you first (a fellow RPG-TPMer). BTW I wanted to ask: That profile pic catches my attention. Also, I remember you having a sig of a kitty girl with her tail grabbed (or something like that). I really love that sig. Do you know where I could find it?

Becky: Well... I just thought that there might be new ideas out there, but we're just afraid to make them because of the fear of rejection. In any case, just like Gabi said, I think you should also go ahead with your ideas.

BTW, not that I don't trust you, but I'm also curious about what Gabi asks. I mean... how come he just doesn't connect through your computer? I'm feeling uneasy and curious about this now, but I prefer to speak than to keep it wandering inside my mind.

Mika: I think your birthday activity is really creative (though I've been lazy to write something over there, jajajajaja), so I'd probably look forward to what you're planning to do at your 10th anniversary.

My mind is tired, but I'll think of new questions by tomorrow.

Optimist award 2012.

“There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate.” (Linda Grayson)

Thank you everyone... for being so kind and for bringing out the best in me! You are definitely awesome! ^_^

Administrator

Yes, Louis, that's the change. It's been that way for a while now. There are lots of phrases which haven't been translated yet, but I've translated the most commonly seen ones.

Competitive Sleeper Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

I always thought Heald was pronounced like "healed'

HEALD: Are you ever going to pop in here and answer that question?! Dx

Quote Originally Posted by Mikachu Yukitatsu View Post
    DragoKnight, can you steal a question ITT and answer it even if it wasn't targetted at you?
    Hey, why not? If y'all have an opinion on a question, feel free to weigh in. We don't have an authoritarian stance here! Hopefully the intended recipient responds as well, but an interloping answer is better than none at all!

A thread can do one of three things: it can thrive with positive activity and become a staple of the forum, it can be ignored and die off, or it can degenerate into crap. The thing is, in my mind, the possibility of the first happening outweighs the drawbacks of the latter two.

I have been desperately seeking activity for ages now, and only recently chose to kick it up a notch and go thread-posting crazy. Some of them are garnering interest, others have already dried up. The thing is, that's ok, because unless people are willing to go out on a limb and post new threads, we're not going to get any activity.

Should a flame war emerge, so be it. It's the job of the moderators to prevent that from happening, and we're more than willing to do that. We haven't really had much to monitor for a while now, so we're pretty quick about responding to any negative activity as it happens.

Take risks. Post threads. Live with the consequences, and be glad that you did your part to keep TPM alive.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkestLight View Post
    DK: WHERE ARE MY AUSSIE ULTIMATE TEAM PICTURES!?!?!
    Which pictures?! I am mighty unaware of which pictures these be!!

SW-2628-7394-6108 Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

@Becky: Many times, I've created threads and never posted them. I've said, "Nah this is stupid" and exited out.
    winner of the (a)ncient (2009), (v)intage, (2009), (v)eteran award (2011), (e)veryone wins! (2011),
    (q)ueenly (2012), (y)ara sofia with Oslo (2012), (l)egalized (2014), (d)ream (2015), (a)ctive (2019), and (e)ighth generation unown awards! thanks TPM!

member since day 1

#OccupyMtMoon
    TPMNoVA12 ~ Hopes and Dreams ~ Team Birdo
    TPMUK12 ~ Drink the Pounds Away ~ Groceries

3DS Code: 3325-3072-6715
    GO Code: 1336-7550-2201
    You Are Awesome.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Woah, woah, woah. I'm not Brian. I'm posting the following links purely to provide evidence that I am a girl, that I'm not Brian, and that I have a separate identity. Facebook is probably the easiest way to tell:

My Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/rebeccaivic
    My Flickr page, with photos of Brian and myself: http://www-us.flickr.com/photos/97494163@N00/
    My academic web site (which, incidentally, should show some similarities in terms of the way I write and what I post: http://rebeccaivic.com/

(I'll post more later- but I wanted to make sure I addressed this as soon as I saw it.)

As an aside- if anyone needs further proof that I'm not Brian, I can do a video chat via Skype with any of you.
    Last edited by Lady Vulpix; 18th June 2011 at 04:27 PM.

Administrator

I'm sorry, Becky, it's just that the whole situation was so weird! I can see that you're not Brian now, and I'm glad to know he's OK. Nice pictures, by the way. Thanks for sharing them!

Cloyster Moderator

Oh my God! Do you know what this means? We finally know what he looks like!

He kinda looks like my brother-in-law.
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS

Administrator

Yes, I didn't want to bring attention to that in case it offended someone, but I was also stunned by the revelation, after all these years, of Brian's true face. I'm glad he finally trusts us enough to let us see what he looks like.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

No worries. I know it must be odd that I've been actively on here while Brian's been away. I was so surprised by the question. It's just something that would not occur to me.

I guess since this is the 'Ask a TPMer' thread, feel free to ask me any additional questions too!

Mikachu- thanks for the explanation! That's cool that you put all that work into your avatar and signature. It's neat.

Master Trainer

Gabi: I can say many things right now, but I'll just put it in a few words... YOU'RE AMAZING!!!!!

Becky: I also apologize to you. I guess imagination and curiosity runs a lot, and the question was full of both. Thanks for sharing this, honestly.

BTW, in those pics, Brian reminds me a bit on John Travolta on the movie Grease (no offense intended).

But speaking seriously, thought he was always like an older brother to me, and with this, I can surely say that he's like my big brother now. Glad to know he's doing happy and well. Take care of him, alright!?

Jeff: I always noticed that you're an active member of the forum, and have helped a lot with it. Have you considered to apply for a Supermod?

Optimist award 2012.

Cloyster Moderator

Oh, after looking at those pics again, I guess that wasn't him that looks like my brother-in-law. Must be somebody else.

@Shadow Wolf. There really isn't a process for applying for positions. In fact, IIRC, there used to be a saying around here: those who ask to be mods are the least likely to become mods, or something like that. Aside from the occasional mod election, I feel like that's still how it works. Positions are filled by the staff as needed, or as I like to put it, they kidnap you in the middle of the night, put a modstick in your hand, and send you on your way. I'm sure it's the same for supermods.

GRRRRR ARRRRGH

DragoKnight: I think I remember reading somewhere once you had dual Canadian/Australian citizenship. I've wondered for a while, were you born here and moved to Australia? Or did you live/work here for a few years before moving back?

DarkestLight: What is your avatar of exactly? It looks like a figure of some sort, but I can't tell what ^^'.
    Whoot.
    *Dad talking about his filling.*
    PL: Did it fall out?
    Dad: Yeah! ****in' thing only lasted two days.
    PL: Huh.
    Dad. I can stick my tongue down in my hole--
    He just stops.
    *hilarity ensues*

Mom: We're one warped family.
    *through hiccups*
    PL: I didn't know you were that flexible!

Winner of five Awards in RPG, including Best Writer.
    Winner of 2009 Golden Pen for Most Original Fiction

PSN: River_in_Time
    XBOX tag: DameSquishdalot

~HOPES AND DREAMS~ Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Asy: The fear of rejection... yeah, it can somehow frustrate people. But I don't think that should stop you from sharing your ideas. After all, everyone is different, and I'm sure someone will read it (even though they might be afraid to reply). IDK, try sharing your ideas with someone close to you first (a fellow RPG-TPMer). BTW I wanted to ask: That profile pic catches my attention. Also, I remember you having a sig of a kitty girl with her tail grabbed (or something like that). I really love that sig. Do you know where I could find it?
    I've shared my ideas privately with some people, but the problem is for them to work I need at least 4 motivated and interested people that want to see the idea through the long haul, and thats a hard thing to find in RPG sometimes x.x Also, lately I don't have time to do much in RPG so I really can't be starting anything new myself ^-^() maybe one day I'll be able to BTW, you should check out rpg if you like to write, it should be fun, and after all Fanfic and RPG aren't mortal enemies, right?!!! hehe

As for my profile pic, thank you! I found it on the net, can't remember where now. And as for the sig:

Its from an anime called Utaware Rumuno, which also was a Japanese game originally, I have 25 eps burned on a cd if you're interested

Here's a bonus Vintage Asi sig:

.: Ben + Brandy :.
    .: September 14th 2012 :.

Master Trainer

Jeff: Jajajajaja, you could make a fanfiction (short story) about that.

Asy: You know? I can't count the times I wanted to try something in forums but haven't due to being afraid (hence the question I asked everyone). AC/CC... RPG... ASB... Fanfic... even in my GGG (which I spend 75% of my time), I have thought of posting on others games but haven't.

I guess I should stop being the chicken already...

Oh, and awesome! Those two pics are surely going into my HD. As for the series... if they're on CD, then sending them to Puerto Rico will cost. Plus right now, I don't own a computer (this one's rented... I hate having borrowed stuff [since I get overly protective of things that aren't mine], but Dad was the one who rented this, so I can't do much). If I get a new computer, then I'll think about adding a new anime to my favorites list.

I'll think of some questions later.

Optimist award 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Pichu Luver View Post
    DragoKnight: I think I remember reading somewhere once you had dual Canadian/Australian citizenship. I've wondered for a while, were you born here and moved to Australia? Or did you live/work here for a few years before moving back?
    I was born in Australia, and lived in Canada from the age of 3 to about 9. My mom is Canadian, while my dad is Australian. I've been back in Australia since 1997. I'm a true dual-citizen, and proud of it. The only problem is, because of this, I don't particularly fit in with either nationality. Among Australians I'm the Canadian guy, and when I visit Canada I'm the Australian guy.

Having two home countries mired in such different climates also helps my support for international sport, too. In the summer Olympics, Australia does well. In the winter Olympics, Canada does well. If the two nations are playing off against one another, it's win/win.

Also having two entirely disjointed and disconnected periods of life as I've had in a relatively short span of time, it also means that I can just as easily pack up and move on to somewhere else.