Quote Originally Posted by Chris 2.1 View Post
And we're a community, not a panel of critics I remember when I wrote a trainer fic (From Rookie To Champion: The Indigo Road) it was completely slated by a certain mod from Perth

But I'd like to think I've come leaps and bounds since then. Perhaps it's a testament to my writing now that I can't bear to read any old fics.
Oh man *cringe* I shudder to think what I would have been like as a reviewer way back then. Probably completely tactless? Sorry if I slated your work. Or maybe I'm not sorry, since you have become a genuinely awesome writer (and published journo) following that tough criticism? Okay, I obviously can't use my past bluntness to take credit for your talent, but you get what I mean, maybe the advice helped. I definitely hope it was ultimately helpful and not too harsh, since that was the end goal.

... and I definitely do the same when I look back at my past writing, especially pre-LTL stuff like Pokemon: Kohtu. I don't even have any copies of that anymore, I don't think, but I remember it well and it was basic. Granted, I was twelve. Incidentally, I'm pretty sure it was criticised quite sharply when I first posted it, and I ended up working hard instead at my alternate story, Lisa the Legend, and put everything I had into lifting my game. So maybe that's where I get my credo from that firm but fair criticism is crucial for a writer, as I found it worked on me and made me work harder to improve myself.