Adair Stroud ~-Sticks and Stones

“Do you ever feeel like a paper baag, drifting through the wiiiind, wanting to start agaain…”

If Adair had one unequivocal true love, it was for music. His voice was readily remarkable (he even had others conclude the same, a delightful day), he was shamelessly giddy on a fiddle (not that shame ever had time-shares in his day), and could groove any shuffle called a dance (and a multitude of moves that were not). Tunes twittered in his head all the time. They told tales twisted, titillating or talented; sometimes all three.

Today Odile and her crew were practicing for one of their most important performances of the year. They even got to show this one publically, which wasn’t always the case. Not that Adair ever got to watch the private ones either… but he could daydream. The clothing for this concert was gauzy and hinted at interesting things anyway.

“…the liiight and leeeeeet it shiiiine. Just ooooooown toniiiiight, on the Paaraaaade of Liiights!”

The singer, Caylin was half decent; she had the right energy, though she was just slightly flat. Not enough for the average party goer to truly notice, but the three standing before her were not average party goers. No indecorous images intended; at least not for poor Alex on the left or Odile in the middle. Adair on the right… he always intended indecorousness.

Although the knowledge of the mistake did not show on Odile’s face, Adair knew she would call Caylin on it after. The third person, Alex, was just as musically talented as Adair and Odile, if not more so. In fact the only reason she was standing anywhere near these personages of disreputable morals, was because she had been summoned by the Fal’cie. Odile couldn’t even claim that honour.

Little Alex, currently unaware she was starting to bob to the music, was to perform for the Parade of Lights. In an official capacity, not like Odile’s beach-side concert they were currently practicing. Odile had been told in no uncertain terms that as they were the closet airship to her little village of Mah’hubre, they were picking her up and bringing her to Ramblum.

Odile had NOT been pleased, though she was plenty gracious to whatever official had ordered it. Alex however, when they had lowered their gangplank, expecting some hide-away performer with a ridiculous amount of ‘needed’ possessions, had completely dissolved any ill feelings the group had been feeling. She was the kindest little sprite they had ever come across, and she was perfectly reasonable with her one bag of luggage.

“… only kneeeew what the future hoolds. After a hurricaaane comes a rainboow…”

Adair stole another glace at Alex, she was definitely bobbing now. She was enjoying the music, even though she would have been mortified to do anything as undignified as dance. Alas for her sensibilities, Adair was undignified personified.

With a grin and wink at Odile he made a gallant twist behind her back and swept Alex into his arms.

She squeaked, and made vague protesting motions with her arms and free hand, but as Adair had literally swept her off her feet in a rousing, spinning, country dance, there wasn’t a lot she could do. It really was the most unfortunate of airships she was on, considering her proper principles. Before Adair had snatched her up, it had possibly been the first time she had not been tomato red since bordering the ship.

“Just oooown toooniiiiight, for the Paaraaaade of Lights!”

“Sir Stroud! I-I mean Mr.—”

Adair laughed outright, “Sir Stroud, I’ve never heard that outside indecent company.” Adair hadn’t thought it possible, but Alex got redder. He chuckled, “Luv, calm down. I don’t bite and you wanted to spin. No lies now.”

Alex didn’t say anything, which was probably the only response she was capable off that did not involve protestation.

As the song switched to a slightly slower bit, she stopped feeling so stiff and Adair put her back down, though on his feet, and led her around in a dance any provincial bumpkin would know. He could tell she knew the steps even though she was blushing furiously. So he took a quick moment between steps and poked her in the side.

She made s pip at a note Adair was pretty sure only birds could normally reach, but she smiled a touch at his grin.

The last few courses she was unbent enough for Adair to let her off his feet and it was a proper dance around the floor. She was smiling and much less embarrassed at the end. Odile stepped forward to the performers and went over how they could make their final touches to the performance.

“Thank you S—Adair. That was um… fun.”

He laughed, “So unsure? I am wounded. Word was I could whirl women around wonderfully.”

“No-no. You can! I’m just—this ship—you all… You’re all so…”

“Indecent?”

“No! You’re all very decent (Adair suspected she didn’t know what he meant), but… doesn’t anyone ever get embarrassed?”

Adair suspected this was possibly the closest she would ever get to the topic about what everyone on the ship did for a living. Adair was slightly safer in that he was the pilot, but Adair was sure he’d said some terribly improper things (in Alex’s view) since she’d come on.

“Over what darlin’? Everyone here chose this. It’s good money, nice clothes and sometimes even fun.”

He didn’t quite hear what she said, but she looked kind of mortified, and was mumbling something about elders. Adair was about to note being elder they would know about amorous entertainment, when Odile finished critiquing the previous singer. Dale stepped forward and Adair, quirking a smile, said instead, “Fair maiden I think Dale is about to strain your sensibilities past standing. Shall we see to your shipping?”

“Shipping? But I only have one bag. What—“ She turned to look at Dale as the song started.

“Walk in the room, leaving the suun in disgrace… Shining so briight, makes me forget time and spaaace… Yeah…”

Adair had to hold back his laughter as her face went from a nearly normal shade, to white, to red faster than a firework. Dale was only looking at her (and to be fair Odile) in a certain way, but it was clear she didn’t know how to react.

“Uh. Yes-yes. Shipping. Luggage.”

She fled.

Adair shook his head and sent a greatly amused look in Odile’s direction. “You are an evil woman.”

“The wider world exists Adair. I’m just educating her with the beginners textbook.” She did not appear the least remorseful and in fact had an amused glint in her eye.

He smirked and crossed his arms, “Fair lady a textbook on your wily ways? My love for a copy.”

She quirked her head and smirked back, “Well my walking thesaurus songs DO have words. Not just melodies and… intentions.”

“Ah, intentions. Indelibly indeterminable femme-fetale focuses. Songs surely source such… suspiciously silly significances from foolish female fondness’s.”

“Adair I have ten people in my employ, seven of which would weep for a moment to make you morn.” She gave him a look. “If the number is all ten, surprise would not be my emotion.”

He gave her a sweeping bow, “Pride instead?”

Laughing, he was already running out of the cargo hold/stage when she threw the lyric book at him. Dale broke line, and Adair could hear Odile snap at him as he choked back a laugh. The clip of her heel on the fake-wood steel floor made him hurry his steps up the open wood stairs to the rooms.

The grin of course never left his face. Odile needed her nose quirked now and again, and her courtiers and courtesans surely wouldn’t be the ones to do it. Odile was their mentor, boss and protector. Many had never had it so good until she took them in.

“Alex?” he called as he entered the hallway. It was a very oddly designed ship, the centre belly held a square-ish cargo hold, with the rectangular living quarters extending equally overtop it. From there the cockpit led up a level and then a very long nose with communications and some firing capabilities there as well. When travelling like now, the three ‘legs’ it parked on were extended parallel to the ship. It had more stabilizing wings on top, and a very long tail off the back rooms for more, albeit smaller storage. It had numerous other projective spikes that looked decorative, but were actually small guns. The Sealark looked like a delicate, leafy sea dragon; however it was anything but defenceless.

Adair did not get any response, but headed to one of the four smallest rooms at the back. Each of these rooms held two bunks, and Alex was in the room designated to her, double-checking her pack. She didn’t look up when Adair leaned against the doorframe. Her frown only deepened as she dug around her packs.

“Don’t worry luv, I got her back for her little stunt.”

She smiled briefly at him, closed her pack again and sat on the bunk. She looked pensive and then blurted out her question, “Is EVERYONE,” she made vague ‘greater world’ motions with her hand, “like you all?”

“Only the interesting ones,” Alex gave him a look all teenage girls have perfected, “Now, now pouting does indelicate things to your features. No, you just happened to land a passage on probably the most scandalizing ship in leagues.”

“Oh. Well,” She had a look people have when their ‘scrounging up their courage’, but in actuality are probably only terrifying themselves more, “guess I’ll just have to get used to the wider world. Do you think Odile actually DOES have a textbook?”

“Her diary.” Adair grinned, and Alex coughed out a small laugh, “I suggest you never read that on pain of being flailed.”

“Indeed.” said Odile from behind Adair.

~-~-~-~-~

Odile Gallagher ~-Stereo Love

Odile gave Adair a resounding smack on his forehead with the lyric book before he could squirrel away. He yelped and looked very put out.

“That’s for the comment, my non-existent diary and something you’re bound to do in the future to infuriate me.” She put an emphasis on the non-existent because it was true, she didn’t have one. She would not be as stupid to in this profession. If she found any of her pupils with one, unless they were very, very clever with their wording (or it was from before they joined her crew) she burned it.

“Why do you make the truth hurt so much?” he tried his puppy-dog look on her. They’d known each other too long for it too have any effect any longer.

“Because a boy’s memory is in his backside, but your forehead presented itself.”

He just huffed and glared at her. His mock irritation was not helped by the growing red mark in the centre of his forehead. Odile did care for Adair, though only in a sisterly way. They’d tried the other route long enough ago for both to know any repeat was a bad idea, and to be okay with that. Now he just set about affectionately bothering her, and she had someone to smack thoughtfully.

“Alas Alex my peacock of a pilot has to go do his job now, we’re approaching Ramblum.”

I’m the pilot and the war—” A chiming ring and the flashing of the blue light above the door signalled the ship needed its pilot back.

“—ning light... Nevermind. Back to work.” Adair looked vaguely miffed to be thwarted by an automated message.

Odile just smiled as he back out of the room and walked quickly up to the cockpit.

“Can I watch? I’ve never seen someone fly a ship.” Alex looked both hopeful and slightly nervous. Odile had the feeling she was the cause of the nervousness. If only she knew she had more to fear from Adair then her. Adair would lead her to far more embarrassing situations then Odile ever would.

“Just don’t inflate his ego too much.” she said with a smile, “The view coming into to Ramblum should be quite nice too.”

Alex smiled before she skittered out of the room. Odile watched her go with a fond smile. The girl was 18 but she reminded Odile so much of an innocent kid. The Command could not have picked a worse ship to protect her sensibilities, except if they had gone for the more ruffian types. That said Odile was glad they had picked her up and Odile saw images of her own childhood flicker through her mind.

With a quick shake of her head Odile turned to go back to the small cargo hold. “Right, back to work.”

------

They crew had just finished the second to last song Odile had wanted to practice when she felt the ship very lightly touch down. Adair could be a fickle fool, but he could fly an airship with a fine touch. Knowing that Adair and Alex were about to come down to the cargo hold to exit she smirked and signaled for Karenika and Jakoa to start.

“It’s a new generaation… Mr. Worldwide! Of paaarty people…”

When Alex and Adair appeared (Alex in assumedly her performance outfit) with a small bag of what she needed in town, Odile had already lowered the gangplank. There was no one on the beach yet, they were all getting spots in the streets for the parade. Nika and Jake were perfect anyway. When Alex saw them, the little they were wearing, and their immediate attention on her, she squeaked, dropped her bag and covered her eyes.

Adair just shook his head at Odile, grabbed Alex’s bag, and hoisted the girl over his shoulder.

“Dance the night away. Grab somebody, drink a little more...”

“ADAIR!” In her shock her eyes came open again. She was looking back over Adair’s shoulder and saw how Nika had come off the stage and was slowly walking toward her. She squeaked and covered her eyes again. Odile heard Adair’s laugh, though not what he said to her. As they disappeared down the ramp, Odile expected that to be the last image she would have of Alex until after the festivities were over, and she came back for her ride home. Her bouncing up and down over Adair’s back, face beet red, and her hands firmly plastered to her eyes.

Nika grinned and bounced back up to the stage. Odile smiled and nodded to them, “Ah, youth.”

------

The parade was in full swing and her performers had gathered a large crowd of dancers before the airship. The small stage could be extended outward from the cargo hold, and her crew were singing away only a few feet above the revellers. They wouldn’t make any money off this in particular, but they may get call backs later for parties. Besides there was plenty of officials in attendance who they would get money off of later.

“You going to come and see the sprite sing?”

Adair had come up beside Odile in her place on the landing above the cargo hold. Odile considered this. She hadn’t planned too, but there really wasn’t any reason for her to be here right now.

“Sure, when the official songs start, this group will move off anyway. Caylin can lock up.” Adair nodded and walked back up into the living area. There was another exit to the ship at the back where the extra storage was. It was a spiralling staircase that dropped down only when needed. Odile signalled to Caylin and she jogged up to her.

“I’m off to see our guest sing. Lock up when the crowd moves on, and then you all can do what you please until a half hour before moonrise.”

“Yes Miss.” She bobbed a courtesy and Odile followed in Adair’s wake. When she landed beside him in the sand the two of then wandered their way down the beach towards the main stage where Alex was to sing.

I'm sorry for taking so long ¬¬''' Feel free to chat with 'em XD