Nova Myst
Divinity II, FF7 Advent Children (promise I will get to other FF music at some point XD)

Nova couldn’t believe his luck. Nothing seemed to be going his way. He now had to babysit a drunken Cid and Bellaevis, who on their own would be fine, but it was Cid in particular he was worried about. With nothing but his fists and beer goggles, the mechanic would surely fall into trouble.

“Bellaevis, watch Cid.”

“Oh, I shall!” She gazed up at him, looping her arm with his and petting it affectionately.

“No, not like that...” Nova sighed, but a little chuckle escaped at the end of it. “Keep bottom of the stage clear. I’m gonna get Alex.”

“Who?!”

Nova didn’t bother answering, it would take far too much time. He climbed up onto the wreckage, the twisted metal providing a makeshift ladder. He was pulling himself up when the first goblin attached itself to his foot. Holding on tighter, he kicked as hard as he cold, but the stubborn little thing wouldn’t budge. Fine, I’ll just keep climbing with you there.

He lost his grip as a sudden weight pulled him downwards. Another 4 or 5 goblins had formed a chain from the first one, sticking their fists in each others’ mouths. He gripped for dear life as he peered over his shoulder, catching sight of another large group of goblins making their way past Bellaevis and Cid, who seemed to be preoccupied by a few gorgonopsids. He really didn’t want to be the goblin’s supper.

Carefully, he let go with one hand, reaching down to take his sword from its scabbard. He was pretty sure his arm would just rip apart at the shoulder if he didn’t hurry up and get rid of them. His chest muscled strained, not ready for such a test of endurance. He flicked his blade to its full length, hooking it in the goblin’s O.

It frowned for a moment before the life was drained from it, the sword cutting through it like a steak knife cutting an onion ring. It let him go, all the others tumbling into a heap below him. He threw his blade up onto the stage above him and quickly climbed up.

Was he too late? Alex was nowhere to be seen. Only four gorgonopsids growling angrily at one spot. What was it Eden had told him? “Don’t get surrounded.”

She had to be underneath the wreckage, there was no other explanation. He picked up his sword and ran at them, throwing it straight into the back of one of the creature’s heads. He charged at them as the oversized wolf collapsed, pulling his sword free as he challenged the others.

“Alex?!” He called, blocking what would have been a nasty bite.

The songstress peeked out from her hiding place, somewhat relieved to see someone she vaguely knew. As another gorgon’s head rolled, he ran to her, offering his hand.

“W-what’s happening?”

“I honestly don’t know.” Nova was watching the creatures; they’d backed off slightly. “But we need to get going.”

She seemed to retreat further into her little hiding place. “They want to eat me...”

“Do you trust me?” Nova took his eye off the enemy and stared straight into hers. “No, wait, don’t answer that. Don’t even think about that. I’m gonna keep you safe, I promise.” She stared at his hand. “Live for the moment, Alex, or you might never get to again.”

Alex smiled at him, taking his hand and allowing him to pull her to her feet. It was only then that he took a look at his surroundings. There were more of them now, and what’s more they were surrounded.

“Run to the edge and jump off the stage when I tell you. My friends are waiting at the bottom; you can’t miss ‘em.”

“What if they chase me?”

“I’ll distract them.”

“Nova...”

“You’ll be alright. I’ll be right behind you.”

She nodded, waiting for her cue as he made the first move. He provided an ample distraction as well as human shield until he saw an opening for her. “Run!”

Alex sprinted to the edge, but stopped, he noticed. He didn’t take into account that the goblins might still be there. He hadn’t killed all the gorgonopsids yet, but he couldn’t just leave her there either. He gave up on the monsters, they could chase him if they wanted, he just needed to get her off the stage and away from the shore line.

He made himself a gap in the hellhounds and ran for it. She only glanced back at him about a second before he tackled her off the edge, pulling her close so he could be her human shield. They landed with a thud, sand getting just about everywhere possibly thinkable.

As he spotted Bellaevis out the corner of his eye, he thought she’d probably like to be in this situation with him, particularly with sand in unmentionable places. He cringed, brushing the image away.

“Are you alright?” Nova asked, waiting for Alex to get up before he could.