Thread: Final Fantasy [Begins]

Hybrid View

The real Shonta Moderator

Default Re: Final Fantasy [Begins]

Kite Rowe

My plan for the Festival of Lights was usually to stay out of the way of everyone and watch the fireworks display somewhere high and out of reach. There was always a problem with pickpockets because of the noise and large crowds. I stayed out of the way, because I wanted to keep what little money I had with me.

But Nova had somehow found a way to get out of house arrest early (which was probably not allowed) and told us that he’d meet me and the others at the beach to watch the fireworks. It had been two weeks since he had escaped from the dome. I remembered watching a girl run through that same crack, and him collapsing only a minute after they got back inside.

“It’s what he deserves for running out there like a fool,” I had commented which earned me a punch in the arm from our boss. The bruise was present the two weeks I waited for Nova to get out. During that time I had contemplated getting him a… get-well present.

Nova ran away in a panic (not something I was used to seeing from him), leaving me with Cid. “Now what crawled up his pants?” the drunken man slurred while looking in his empty bottle.

I shrugged. There were many things about Nova I didn’t know about. “I’ll take my leave now,” I informed Cid.

“What happened to us celebrating together?” the man complained.

“I have no intention of getting drunk with you. I’ll wake up with a hangover and a black eye.”

“You always were a wet blanket.” I rolled my eyes. “You’re gonna chase after him again, aintcha?”

I stiffened at his smirk. “No.”

“You seemed too eager to get here tonight.”

Please be quiet.” I escaped into the crowd before he could say another word.

I fingered the little present I had chosen for Nova, a wind-up metal Chocobo that walked around. I had found it at the scrapyard, and I spent two weeks fixing it up. I can’t give it to him. But it’s such a small, childish trinket. He won’t think much about it. He might just laugh at it.

“That a gift for your sweetie?” and old female voice said near my ear. I turned my head to her jewelry stand. “You should get something much prettier than that for her on this precious night.”

I scoffed, even though I noticed a pretty blue jewel orb hanging over my head. It sparkled prettily like a starry sky. “Jewelry isn’t really… her style,” I sneered, not believing I had to pause to make sure I had the correct pronoun in.

What if it is?

“My love life and preference in gifts is none of your business anyway,” I added before rushing away.

Maybe next year I could afford something like that. I laughed at myself. Nothing but a lovesick puppy. I needed a distraction—

“Fruit tarts,” I mumbled with a grin as I caught the scent.

Time to pig out.
    Last edited by classy_cat18; 15th February 2012 at 05:24 PM.
    Random Quote:
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

My XBox Live gamertag is gleameyes26. Feel free to add me!

Vote for your favorite fanmade video game lyricshere!

RPG Dyke's Bitch Moderator

Nova Myst
    Tifa’s Theme (Piano version), FFVII Advent Children

“You’re a life saver.” Nova rested his elbows on the bar, his head in his hands. He was tired already, to be honest he probably should take Eden’s offer (if you could call it that) of going home, but he was determined to see the whole of the Festival of Lights all the way through. He hadn’t missed it once since he could remember, he wasn’t gonna start now. “Thanks, Bellaevis.”

“Cheer up, chuck.” She elbowed him in the ribs, in the same sharp manner as she had done previously. He turned to look at her, greeted by a mischievous grin. “Y’know, you can have lots of fun on just one drink if you pick a particularly strong one.”

Nova chuckled, straightening up. “Not drinking today. I don’t think it would be wise.” He summoned the bar tender to them. “Whatever the lady’s having.”

She ordered and Nova frowned when two cocktails appeared, but paid for them both anyway. Bellaevis stirred the pink liquid with an assortment of berries speared by a cocktail stick before taking a sip, the umbrella hitting her cheek as she tipped it back.

She pushed the drink towards him. “Oh come on, boy! You don’t strike me as the kind to turn down a good time. Last I remember of you, Eden and I had to search for you cos you’d gone missing. We found you on the other side of town, riding a full grown chocobo, with its owner running along behind you.”

Nova grinned, perhaps looking a tad embarrassed. “I was eleven...”

“Aye, you were. I think I remember yer sister askin’ why a chocobo? Do ya remember what ya said?” Bellaevis leaned a little closer.

“No, but I have a feeling it’s gonna be rather incriminating...”

“You said ‘Cos I’m too small to ride a motorbike’.” She snickered.

“I have one of my own now.” He mused, finally giving in to the rather girly cocktail in front of him. It was sweet, fruity and extremely alcoholic. “And a chocobo...”

“A chocobo?! Where’d you keep the thing?”

“In my pocket.”

“You sure you’re not drunk already?”

He shook his head laughing, opening his jacket to reveal the unnamed chocobo sleeping soundly in the inner pocket. Bellaevis cooed and the chocobo stirred, yawning and blinking at the sudden influx of light. She hopped onto the bar, tottering towards their drinks, eyeing up the berries.

“Well, it’s been a pleasure to catch up with you, Bellaevis.” Nova began, feeding all but one of his berries to his chick, and leaving about a quarter of his drink still in the glass. He glanced over at his sister to find that she was with Markus again. He popped the remaining berry in the glass, much to the bird’s dismay. “You should catch up with Eden sometime. It’s been a while, hasn’t it?”

“Too long...” Bellaevis sighed, before frowning at his drink. “Won’t you stay to finish that?”

“Well, the thing is, if I finish my one drink, I’ll have to go home...” He smirked, scooping up his chocobo.

“Ooooooh! I see!” She grinned, giving him an exaggerated wink. “Well, I suppose you had better be going.”

“I’ll see you later.” He waved as he walked away, weaving himself into the crowd.

His plan was simple. He would let Markus continue to attempt to woo his sister (as much as the idea made him cringe) as it provided an ample distraction so that he had enough time to find somewhere to hide for long enough that the firework display will start. Then Eden would have no choice but to let him stay until the end.

“Nova!”

He turned to the sound of his name. Shit, it’s Kite! Not now! As he turned to get away, he bumped into a girl who seemed in just as much of a hurry as he was. She stumbled, but he caught hold of her arm before she could fall.

“S-sorry!” They both blurted out. Nova chuckled whilst she looked terrified.

Nova was surprised that she spoke first. “I’m such a clutz...” She glanced around nervously, avoiding eye contact. “Lindzei help me, you’re the fifthteenth person I’ve ran into.” He was about to tell her not to worry, but she bowed her head in way of apology. “Sorry again, but I have to run. I perform soon!”

She moved around him, hurrying towards the stage. He watched her go, considering using the back stage area as a hiding place. It would be perfect! No one would ever expect to find him there. That and he could try and see this girl again... She didn’t look like she was from around here, he wanted to know more. With Kite still calling his name, Nova pushed through the crowd towards the stage.

“No unauthorised access beyond this point, sir. Please vacate the area, the parade is over there.” The Eden Defence Core man stood firm, blocking his path.

Nova glanced at him as he fished in his pocket for his ID badge. He recognised the guy, probably trained with him. “It’s okay, sir, I am here as Ultima’s Representative’s...” He paused for a moment. “... Representative. I’m here to inspect the stage and to make sure everything’s running smoothly and according to plan.”

The guard seemed flustered as he handed back his ID to him. “I apologise, Mr Myst, please go on through.”

It didn’t take long to find her. He simply kept walking until he found the wings of the stage and there she was, waiting patiently for her turn. As casually as he could, he walked up to her and stood beside her.

“Hello again!” Nova chuckled as she jumped a little. “Sorry to startle you, but I just couldn’t let you go like that.”

“W-why did you come back h-here?” She shifted uncomfortably. Why did he make her so nervous?

“I could tell you that I’m Ultima’s Representative’s Representative, but that’s just the line I used to get past the Defence Core guy outside.” Nova smiled as he caught the smallest of giggles escaping her. “Really, I’m hiding from my sister.”

“Your sister? Is she really that scary?” She fiddled with her bracelets.

“Not all the time. I’m not supposed to be here, that’s all.”

“You’re not a pick pocket, are you?” Her eyes narrowed. “I was warned about pick pockets...”

“No, I’m not, don’t worry.” He tried to give her a reassuring smile, but it didn’t seem to be working. “You’re not from around here, are you?”

“N-no... This is my first visit to Ramblum.”

“Well,” Nova peered around the pillar, gesturing out at the city. “Welcome to Ramblum! My favourite city.”

The girl tucked her hair behind her ear as she peered around, obviously trying to ignore the large crowd that has assembled, watching the performers dance across the stage and through the air. The light made her white-blonde hair look all sorts of different colours.

“Is the Festival of Light always like this?” She asked, not taking her gaze from the show in front of her.

“I guess. They always try to outdo the previous years by making it bigger and better. Normally they succeed.”

“Oh...” She seemed a little disheartened.

Nova carefully placed a hand on her shoulder. “Don’t worry about it! I’m sure you’ll stun everyone!”

She couldn’t help but blush. “You think so?”

“Alex!” They both turned to the sound of the stage director’s voice. “You’re on in five.”

“Well then, Alex, I’ll leave you to it.” Nova stretched and moved away, smiling. “Good luck! Although I’m sure you don’t need it.”

“Wait!” She took hold of his arm. “What’s your name?”

“Nova.”

“Good luck with your sister, Nova.” Alex beamed at him. “Although I’m sure you’ll be fine, too!”

Nova made sure to tell the guard on his way past that everything was satisfactory and that he was doing a fine job. It was getting dark now, and the lights became more prominent in the sky. He was greeted by Kite, who had apparently been stood outside the entire time he’d been hiding back stage.

“How’d you get in there?” Kite frowned, following him as he pushed his way through the crowd to get a better view of the stage.

“Blagged my way in, as usual.” Nova wasn’t in the mood for twenty questions. He wanted to see Alex perform...

He stopped somewhere in the middle of the audience, with enough people at a similar height that it would be hard to spot him. Kite stood by his side, his hands in his pockets, seeming a little more on edge than usual. Nervous, even. That wasn’t like him at all. He was glad to have him there though; he hated seeing the fireworks on his own.

If Eden wasn’t so mad at him, he would have made every effort to be there with her right now. But knowing that she was probably still here was comfort enough for him. Now there was only one person missing.

He pulled out his phone, quickly sending a text to his other sister whilst Kite was distracted by some kids trampling on his toes.

[Wish you were here. x]
    Last edited by ChobiChibi; 24th February 2012 at 07:06 PM.

X-rated since April 2012!

Weasel Overlord says:
    JIZZ EVERYWHERE

Crystal Tears: Shut. Up.
    Or i will hog tie you
    and ram you
    with my train

♥ <(^o^)> ♥ Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Eden gently plucked the gift from its box, holding it in the air between the two, letting the lights of the festival catch it and make it glimmer in all shades. She couldn’t help but think it was awful fancy for gift in tradition’s name, but she wasn’t complaining. It was gorgeous, and she didn’t want to spoil the moment by saying something that might come across as ungrateful.

“Can you help me…?” She unclipped the clasp on the chain and held it up. “Put it on?” Eden clarified, seeing Markus’s somewhat confused expression.

Markus nodded, stepping around and behind her. She held her hair out of the way as he took the necklace and did it up again, then stepped back in front of her. She looked down at it, admiring its shine for a moment before her attention went back to Markus.

Eden turned her attention back to the bar, where her brother should’ve been sitting.

He wasn’t.

“Lindzei damn him... I’ll be back later, enjoy the parade.” She offered Markus no explanation, but he could’ve guessed as to what she was looking for again.

The Huntress frowned; she wasn’t at all surprised by Nova’s disappearance. Instead she walked over with a scowl, and leaned against the bar next to her old friend. Bellaevis glanced at her, offering her nothing but a knowing smile.

“Ello.” She grinned, and it didn’t falter when the Huntress just glared. “Oh, come on, he’s just havin’ some fun.”

“I should arrest you.” Eden ordered herself a drink.

“Me?” Her friend feigned hurt. “For what? I kept an eye on him… and you’re drinking on the job.”

The huntress snorted. “Around you, I have to.”

“Aye, that’s the spirit!” Bellaevis chuckled, ignoring the sullen look she got from Eden. “You’re too hard up in my opinion.”

“Yes, you’ve told me before.” Eden stared into her drink in thought, her frown softening. “Am I to hard on him?”

Bellaevis blinked at her. “Nova? Bah, he’s fine.”

“He’s breaking the law.” She countered before downing the rest of her drink. “He’s always breaking the law.”

“So?” The bard didn’t seem so concerned. “What’s wrong with that?”

“I’m terrified he’ll end up like you.”

“Oi!” Bellaevis’s frown turned into a scowl as she prepared a whole string of comebacks. But the smirk on Eden’s face made the bard think twice. “Oh, aren’t you clever, you see if you’re so sharp when I sing about ya. Won’t be so smirk-happy then.”
    “That would require me having tales worth telling.” Eden shrugged as she spoke, pushing herself off the bar.

“Oh that’s right, you’re a bore.” Bellaevis chimed happily. “You’re safe until you turn interestin’.”

“Lindzei help me on that day,” Eden offered have a smile at the thought. “Want to have another drink after the fireworks?”

“Sure! You buyin’?”

Eden rolled her eyes and walked away. “Maybe – if you behave.”

The fireworks marked a celebration of all things holy. They were the chosen method to create brilliant light, just as Lindzei did thousands of years ago. They were enchanted explosives that would form into great battles of old and some that would spread out and dance around the onlookers, while others simply lit up the starry night sky.

It was a great spectacle, designed to be large enough for Ultima to watch from her sky-fortress. Eden wasn’t sure if anyone actually did watch from Alexandria, most if they wanted to see it, would travel to Everest before taking a train to Ramblum. Others would simply watch from the comfort of their own homes, their televisions displaying the brilliant show.

The beach had grown dark; with other the performers and their act lighting up the sands now. In about a minute the fireworks would begin, but Eden didn’t really care at the moment.

She had found her brother, and promptly stepped up beside him. He didn’t even notice until she cleared her throat, and he looked over, nearly jumping. Eden noted the other standing on the other side of him; he looked like a ditch-crawler. Someone like that would’ve been kicked out from Alexandria in an instant.

She hid her disapproval of his friends and gave him a coolly neutral look. “Can I speak to you?”

Nova looked back at his friend. “I’ll uhh, be right back…”

“Are you in trouble?” His friend questioned.

“No-“

Yes.” Eden spoke over him, silencing her brother. “He is. Please excuse us.”

A good distance away from Nova’s friend, Eden’s cool-tone changed. “One drink, Nova.” She hissed, “I said one drink, not to toddle off at your leisure and wait for the show to start.”

“I technically didn’t finish my-“

“Shut up.”

“Yes ma’am…” His eyes hit the ground; slowly they flicked back to hers. “Come on, I promise I’ll stay in the house for the rest of my sentence, just… please let me watch the fireworks?”

“You’re promises are about as valuable as fool’s gold.” Eden shot back. Nova didn’t look at her, just stared away silently. She wasn’t sure if he was faking his hurt or it was genuine, but it was getting to her. “… Fal’Cie curse you, fine.” He immediately perked up, smiling at her. “But I swear to Ultima Nova, if you break your house arrest one more time I’m going to let you rot in jail for a month.”

The first firework’s explosion erupted over them, making the sky sparkle gold. She had forgotten how close they were to the shore, and thus they were nearly right under the show.

Another went off, silencing everyone as the songstress’s voice echoed over the beach. Through fal’Cie manipulation the fireworks’ explosions didn’t sound nearly as loud and booming, and the girl’s song was carried over probably the entire town.

The show was spectacular, with the fight of the eidolons and fiends going along perfectly with the song. The voice that the songstress could pump out of her was amazing, even if it was amplified by the technology scattered all through the city for this day, it was stunning.

Light gathered around her, spinning in elegant wisps of colour, while old l’Cie knights projections appeared at her side, baring the mark of Lindzei proudly on their armored chests. The two siblings watched in silence, slowly moving closer to the stage, the show dazzling them.

The song ended, and silence fell over the crowd.

The wind picked up, sand racing up off the ground, forcing people back and trapping those inside. Eden watched her brother take a step back, as gold traces of energy began to spin around in the funnel. The crowd immediately began cheering as the energy expanded, blocking out the view of those inside.

But Eden noted the performers; they were looking at each other confused.

This was not a part of the show.

“Nova,” she caught his attention as she brought out her dual blades. “Get ready.”

“For what?” Nova looked at her, his voice full of uncertainty as he unsheathed his blade. “This isn’t part of the show?”

“No.” Eden’s skin tingled as the magic continued to grow, gold laces spawning white dust trails and arcs of blue lightning.

In a split second the energy collapsed in on itself, sucking in those trapped in the funnel. The orb it formed flashed white, as bright as the sun, blinding everyone near it before it exploded outwards. A shockwave of magic and sand sent most of the crowd careening backwards.

Eden landed on her foot soundly, though her brother could say the same. He bit the ground next to her, causing her to haul him to his feet. Nova grumbled thanks, shielding his eyes from the wind and sand as another shockwave tore outwards.

Chaos erupted, people were rushing past them, crying out things that didn’t make sense.

“Run!”

“Fiends!”

“Lindzei help us!”

Eden hurried forward, nimbly making her way through the crowd until she froze.

The stage was in ruins, the energy blast had damaged a support pillar and then with everyone beginning to run, too much weight had been placed on the left side. What remained was a crumpled left-side with a pile of people on top of each other trying to get away.

“Timdhya dnil!”

The roar of the beast caught Eden’s attention. Towering above the rest was a behemoth, with long red banners spawning from the back of its head. Its thick hide was a deep purple, with black veins running throughout and its chest revealed muscle on top of muscle. Clutched in its right hand was a rather nasty looking blade, and its massive jaws had many yellow, razor sharp teeth.

The monsters around it were not nearly as large as their commander, but they were none the less mean and possessed strength. Two took notice of Eden, with their dog-like bodies and strange mouths that had teeth that seemed far too large for its face. Their fur was tan with white underbellies, and paws equip with claws that were near the size of daggers.

They snarled and leapt, the first finding itself impaled on both of Eden’s blades. It yelped and was tossed to the side like garbage, which caused the other one to slow and circle. It charged soon after, going for the huntress’s legs but instead was greeted with one of the woman’s swords thrust through its head.

It twitched, and slumped.

“Dni wecc yw Lindzei nem syli! Errunucedi dni fihlur!”

Nova ran up beside her, his own sword now stained with monster blood. “What the hell are they?”

“They’re called Gorgonopsids.” Eden informed him, readying herself. “Don’t get surrounded.”

“And them?” He gestured to a few small, green-skinned creatures heading into the city.

“Goblins…”

There was a scream from the stage, and that’s all the excuse Nova needed. He took off towards the sound.

“No! Nova!” She went to follow but found herself cut off by numerous gorgons. “Oh for the love of Lindzei…”

They snarled, perhaps recognizing the Goddess’s name.

“Need help?”

Both Eden and the group of fiends looked over at Markus as he approached.

“No,” Eden countered, frowning a bit.

“Of course not.” He smirked, bringing up his fists. “Shall we?”

The huntress spun her weapons, smirking at the beasts. “Let’s go.”

- + -

Gorgonopsid, Goblin, and Feral Behemoth.

Don’t go pissing off the behemoth! You might die! XD Have fun tagging each other and surviving for a bit!

Alex sung ‘For the Heart I Once Had’ by Nightwish, for those of you wondering~