Thread: Final Fantasy [Begins]

Hybrid View

RPG Dyke's Bitch Moderator

Default Re: Final Fantasy [Begins]

Nova Myst

Today marked two very special celebrations: The Feast of Lights and the youngest Myst’s 19th birthday. If Eden had it her way, he would be spending both alone, cooped up in their house with nothing to do except watch the celebrations take place on their TV.

But of course, he had no intentions of staying in. He’d made it seem like he was well and truly suffering this morning, so he could be sure that Eden wouldn’t even think of checking back on him later. Alright, so he’d admit that he still had a few minor aches and pains, but it was not enough to stop him escaping today.

He was almost ready to go when he spotted two cards and a small box placed on the coffee table. He smiled to himself; maybe his sisters didn’t hate him as much as he thought.

The first was from Kara, the second from Eden, explaining how the gift was from the both of them, and that he should call Kara and say thank you. He dreaded that call. He hadn’t spoken to Kara since he’d been arrested. He was a little concerned that the box had managed to tip itself over in the time that he’d taken reading the cards...

“They’ve stuffed a tiny fiend in a box to spite me.” He picked up the box gingerly, untying the ribbon and noting the air holes in the lid. What stared back at him, though, was not a fiend’s eyes, but the bright blue eyes of a baby chocobo. He grinned, lifting it out of the box in cupped hands. “Well aren’t you a cutie?”

It chirped happily, hopping from foot to foot and flapping its wings. Couldn’t have asked for a better gift. Now he’d definitely have to call Kara.

He dug his hand into his pocket, hesitating before calling his sister. “Kara... Hi.”

“What have you done this time?”

Nova couldn’t help but chuckle to himself. Would his sisters ever believe he would call them for just an innocent chat? “I love how little faith you have in me.”

She was silent, obviously not as amused as he was by the predicament. Kara had no patients for people wasting her time, and he had the feeling he was unintentionally becoming one of them. But no matter how hard he worked, he would never gain her approval.

“Thank you for my card. I love the chocobo!” The little chick, who had perched on his shoulder, nuzzled against his cheek.

“It was Eden’s idea.”

“I thought as much.”

“She told you to call me, didn’t she?”

“Yeah...”

“Well, happy birthday. Hope you enjoy it.”

“Wait, Kara...” His urgency came off in his voice because although he was silent as he contemplated what to say to her, she didn’t hang up on him. “I’m sorry for leaving the dome. It was stupid, I know.” He waited for a response and got nothing. She was still there, he could hear her breathing. “I just wanted to go outside. To see what it’s really like. It really wasn’t my intention to disturb a Behemoth.” He waited again for a response. “Kara?”

“It’s hard to stay mad at you when you seem so sincere.”

“I hate it when you play games with me...”

His sister laughed, eradicating all the one sided tension Nova had created for himself. “So are you planning to break your house arrest today?”

“Totally. This is the first day I’ve felt well enough to leave the house. And it’s my birthday.”

“Eden won’t see it that way.”

“I know. I’m looking forward to the game of hide and seek.”

“Well, have fun. Take care.”

“Bye Kara.”

He left the house quickly, his new chocobo friend making itself comfy in a pocket on the inside of his jacket. He got on his bike and rode to the beach, making up for lost time. He told his friends he’d be there much earlier in the day than this, but he had to be sure Eden wasn’t coming back.

He parked as close as he could to the beach, spotting Markus just as he was about to hit the sand. He stopped dead in his tracks; a decision had to be made. Either sneak by, or just go and talk to him. What was the worst that could happen?

“Hey, Markus!” Nova grinned at him as he walked past, slapping him on the shoulder as he passed by. “Sssh, you didn’t see me.”

“Anyone would think you wanted to get caught.” Markus shook his head, chuckling to himself. Nova mock saluted him, continuing on his way.

The beach was packed with people anticipating the start of the parade. He struggled to weave in between children and their parents, trying desperately not to lose sight of them. He remembered the last time he’d come with his parents, sitting on his dad’s shoulders so that he could get a better view of the show. Some of the lights got so close he thought he could pluck them out the sky. That was 10 years ago now, but he remembered it as if it were yesterday.

He snapped out of his little daze when a coin collided with the side of his head.

“Oi, Spanner-cock!” Cid yelled at him, causing a few wary parents to glare at him. “Stop standing there all misty eyed-” Nova cringed at the awful pun, and was glad Eden wasn’t there to hear it. “-and start drinking. You’ve got some catchin’ up to do.”

“Can’t.” He pulled his bike keys from his pocket as he joined them, jingling them. “Driving.”

“That ain’t stopped ya before.”

“But Cid, I’m trying to be a good boy!”

“Aye, wouldn’t want ya getting arrested again.”

“Speaking of which...” Kite appeared at his side. “What happened to Tai and Talon?”

“Still in quarantine, last I heard.” Nova shrugged, as if it were nothing. Kite would be hard to convince, but Cid was apparently too drunk to care.

“Why aren’t you still there with the others?”

“Nothing wrong with me, I’m all clear!” Nova gave the thumbs up. “Except for that scratch I got from the Behemoth, still healing.”

“It was quite a big gash, if I remember.”

“Nah, just a scratch.”

“A scratch that made you pass out due to blood loss. And got you rushed to hospital cos they thought you were gonna bleed to death.”

“I don’t remember that...”

Kite almost looked smug. “You wouldn’t. Probably don’t remember you got rescued by a girl, either?”

Nova would have made some kind of witty response if it weren’t for the fact he’d just spotted that very same girl talking to Markus. By talking to, he meant threatening, by the looks of things.

Then he watched her scan the beach. She was looking for him, he could tell by pure rage in her expression. Shit...

“I gotta go for a bit, got some other people to see, but I’ll be back later!” He pushed past Cid, who swore loudly at him, heading further down the beach to the shoreline. What was he gonna do when he got there? He had nowhere to run, or hide. Maybe if he jumped in the water he could swim to freedom?

Except that plan was faltered when he bumped straight into Bellaevis, one of Eden’s oldest friends. Bugger...

“Don’t I know you from somewhere?” She frowned, eyeing him up.

“No, I’m quite sure you don’t.” He attempted to sidestep her, but she followed his footsteps.

“But you strikingly resemble someone I know... Who is that person?”

“No one!”

“Eden!”

He turned around just in time to see Eden grab his collar and drag him away. Although he wanted to wriggle free, he didn’t dare, instead he tried to dig his heels in the sand.

“I didn’t do anything!”

Sorry if played people wrong. TAG. Zzzzzzzzz.

X-rated since April 2012!

Weasel Overlord says:
    JIZZ EVERYWHERE

Crystal Tears: Shut. Up.
    Or i will hog tie you
    and ram you
    with my train

GRRRRR ARRRRGH

Adair Stroud ~-Sticks and Stones

“Do you ever feeel like a paper baag, drifting through the wiiiind, wanting to start agaain…”

If Adair had one unequivocal true love, it was for music. His voice was readily remarkable (he even had others conclude the same, a delightful day), he was shamelessly giddy on a fiddle (not that shame ever had time-shares in his day), and could groove any shuffle called a dance (and a multitude of moves that were not). Tunes twittered in his head all the time. They told tales twisted, titillating or talented; sometimes all three.

Today Odile and her crew were practicing for one of their most important performances of the year. They even got to show this one publically, which wasn’t always the case. Not that Adair ever got to watch the private ones either… but he could daydream. The clothing for this concert was gauzy and hinted at interesting things anyway.

“…the liiight and leeeeeet it shiiiine. Just ooooooown toniiiiight, on the Paaraaaade of Liiights!”

The singer, Caylin was half decent; she had the right energy, though she was just slightly flat. Not enough for the average party goer to truly notice, but the three standing before her were not average party goers. No indecorous images intended; at least not for poor Alex on the left or Odile in the middle. Adair on the right… he always intended indecorousness.

Although the knowledge of the mistake did not show on Odile’s face, Adair knew she would call Caylin on it after. The third person, Alex, was just as musically talented as Adair and Odile, if not more so. In fact the only reason she was standing anywhere near these personages of disreputable morals, was because she had been summoned by the Fal’cie. Odile couldn’t even claim that honour.

Little Alex, currently unaware she was starting to bob to the music, was to perform for the Parade of Lights. In an official capacity, not like Odile’s beach-side concert they were currently practicing. Odile had been told in no uncertain terms that as they were the closet airship to her little village of Mah’hubre, they were picking her up and bringing her to Ramblum.

Odile had NOT been pleased, though she was plenty gracious to whatever official had ordered it. Alex however, when they had lowered their gangplank, expecting some hide-away performer with a ridiculous amount of ‘needed’ possessions, had completely dissolved any ill feelings the group had been feeling. She was the kindest little sprite they had ever come across, and she was perfectly reasonable with her one bag of luggage.

“… only kneeeew what the future hoolds. After a hurricaaane comes a rainboow…”

Adair stole another glace at Alex, she was definitely bobbing now. She was enjoying the music, even though she would have been mortified to do anything as undignified as dance. Alas for her sensibilities, Adair was undignified personified.

With a grin and wink at Odile he made a gallant twist behind her back and swept Alex into his arms.

She squeaked, and made vague protesting motions with her arms and free hand, but as Adair had literally swept her off her feet in a rousing, spinning, country dance, there wasn’t a lot she could do. It really was the most unfortunate of airships she was on, considering her proper principles. Before Adair had snatched her up, it had possibly been the first time she had not been tomato red since bordering the ship.

“Just oooown toooniiiiight, for the Paaraaaade of Lights!”

“Sir Stroud! I-I mean Mr.—”

Adair laughed outright, “Sir Stroud, I’ve never heard that outside indecent company.” Adair hadn’t thought it possible, but Alex got redder. He chuckled, “Luv, calm down. I don’t bite and you wanted to spin. No lies now.”

Alex didn’t say anything, which was probably the only response she was capable off that did not involve protestation.

As the song switched to a slightly slower bit, she stopped feeling so stiff and Adair put her back down, though on his feet, and led her around in a dance any provincial bumpkin would know. He could tell she knew the steps even though she was blushing furiously. So he took a quick moment between steps and poked her in the side.

She made s pip at a note Adair was pretty sure only birds could normally reach, but she smiled a touch at his grin.

The last few courses she was unbent enough for Adair to let her off his feet and it was a proper dance around the floor. She was smiling and much less embarrassed at the end. Odile stepped forward to the performers and went over how they could make their final touches to the performance.

“Thank you S—Adair. That was um… fun.”

He laughed, “So unsure? I am wounded. Word was I could whirl women around wonderfully.”

“No-no. You can! I’m just—this ship—you all… You’re all so…”

“Indecent?”

“No! You’re all very decent (Adair suspected she didn’t know what he meant), but… doesn’t anyone ever get embarrassed?”

Adair suspected this was possibly the closest she would ever get to the topic about what everyone on the ship did for a living. Adair was slightly safer in that he was the pilot, but Adair was sure he’d said some terribly improper things (in Alex’s view) since she’d come on.

“Over what darlin’? Everyone here chose this. It’s good money, nice clothes and sometimes even fun.”

He didn’t quite hear what she said, but she looked kind of mortified, and was mumbling something about elders. Adair was about to note being elder they would know about amorous entertainment, when Odile finished critiquing the previous singer. Dale stepped forward and Adair, quirking a smile, said instead, “Fair maiden I think Dale is about to strain your sensibilities past standing. Shall we see to your shipping?”

“Shipping? But I only have one bag. What—“ She turned to look at Dale as the song started.

“Walk in the room, leaving the suun in disgrace… Shining so briight, makes me forget time and spaaace… Yeah…”

Adair had to hold back his laughter as her face went from a nearly normal shade, to white, to red faster than a firework. Dale was only looking at her (and to be fair Odile) in a certain way, but it was clear she didn’t know how to react.

“Uh. Yes-yes. Shipping. Luggage.”

She fled.

Adair shook his head and sent a greatly amused look in Odile’s direction. “You are an evil woman.”

“The wider world exists Adair. I’m just educating her with the beginners textbook.” She did not appear the least remorseful and in fact had an amused glint in her eye.

He smirked and crossed his arms, “Fair lady a textbook on your wily ways? My love for a copy.”

She quirked her head and smirked back, “Well my walking thesaurus songs DO have words. Not just melodies and… intentions.”

“Ah, intentions. Indelibly indeterminable femme-fetale focuses. Songs surely source such… suspiciously silly significances from foolish female fondness’s.”

“Adair I have ten people in my employ, seven of which would weep for a moment to make you morn.” She gave him a look. “If the number is all ten, surprise would not be my emotion.”

He gave her a sweeping bow, “Pride instead?”

Laughing, he was already running out of the cargo hold/stage when she threw the lyric book at him. Dale broke line, and Adair could hear Odile snap at him as he choked back a laugh. The clip of her heel on the fake-wood steel floor made him hurry his steps up the open wood stairs to the rooms.

The grin of course never left his face. Odile needed her nose quirked now and again, and her courtiers and courtesans surely wouldn’t be the ones to do it. Odile was their mentor, boss and protector. Many had never had it so good until she took them in.

“Alex?” he called as he entered the hallway. It was a very oddly designed ship, the centre belly held a square-ish cargo hold, with the rectangular living quarters extending equally overtop it. From there the cockpit led up a level and then a very long nose with communications and some firing capabilities there as well. When travelling like now, the three ‘legs’ it parked on were extended parallel to the ship. It had more stabilizing wings on top, and a very long tail off the back rooms for more, albeit smaller storage. It had numerous other projective spikes that looked decorative, but were actually small guns. The Sealark looked like a delicate, leafy sea dragon; however it was anything but defenceless.

Adair did not get any response, but headed to one of the four smallest rooms at the back. Each of these rooms held two bunks, and Alex was in the room designated to her, double-checking her pack. She didn’t look up when Adair leaned against the doorframe. Her frown only deepened as she dug around her packs.

“Don’t worry luv, I got her back for her little stunt.”

She smiled briefly at him, closed her pack again and sat on the bunk. She looked pensive and then blurted out her question, “Is EVERYONE,” she made vague ‘greater world’ motions with her hand, “like you all?”

“Only the interesting ones,” Alex gave him a look all teenage girls have perfected, “Now, now pouting does indelicate things to your features. No, you just happened to land a passage on probably the most scandalizing ship in leagues.”

“Oh. Well,” She had a look people have when their ‘scrounging up their courage’, but in actuality are probably only terrifying themselves more, “guess I’ll just have to get used to the wider world. Do you think Odile actually DOES have a textbook?”

“Her diary.” Adair grinned, and Alex coughed out a small laugh, “I suggest you never read that on pain of being flailed.”

“Indeed.” said Odile from behind Adair.

~-~-~-~-~

Odile Gallagher ~-Stereo Love

Odile gave Adair a resounding smack on his forehead with the lyric book before he could squirrel away. He yelped and looked very put out.

“That’s for the comment, my non-existent diary and something you’re bound to do in the future to infuriate me.” She put an emphasis on the non-existent because it was true, she didn’t have one. She would not be as stupid to in this profession. If she found any of her pupils with one, unless they were very, very clever with their wording (or it was from before they joined her crew) she burned it.

“Why do you make the truth hurt so much?” he tried his puppy-dog look on her. They’d known each other too long for it too have any effect any longer.

“Because a boy’s memory is in his backside, but your forehead presented itself.”

He just huffed and glared at her. His mock irritation was not helped by the growing red mark in the centre of his forehead. Odile did care for Adair, though only in a sisterly way. They’d tried the other route long enough ago for both to know any repeat was a bad idea, and to be okay with that. Now he just set about affectionately bothering her, and she had someone to smack thoughtfully.

“Alas Alex my peacock of a pilot has to go do his job now, we’re approaching Ramblum.”

I’m the pilot and the war—” A chiming ring and the flashing of the blue light above the door signalled the ship needed its pilot back.

“—ning light... Nevermind. Back to work.” Adair looked vaguely miffed to be thwarted by an automated message.

Odile just smiled as he back out of the room and walked quickly up to the cockpit.

“Can I watch? I’ve never seen someone fly a ship.” Alex looked both hopeful and slightly nervous. Odile had the feeling she was the cause of the nervousness. If only she knew she had more to fear from Adair then her. Adair would lead her to far more embarrassing situations then Odile ever would.

“Just don’t inflate his ego too much.” she said with a smile, “The view coming into to Ramblum should be quite nice too.”

Alex smiled before she skittered out of the room. Odile watched her go with a fond smile. The girl was 18 but she reminded Odile so much of an innocent kid. The Command could not have picked a worse ship to protect her sensibilities, except if they had gone for the more ruffian types. That said Odile was glad they had picked her up and Odile saw images of her own childhood flicker through her mind.

With a quick shake of her head Odile turned to go back to the small cargo hold. “Right, back to work.”

------

They crew had just finished the second to last song Odile had wanted to practice when she felt the ship very lightly touch down. Adair could be a fickle fool, but he could fly an airship with a fine touch. Knowing that Adair and Alex were about to come down to the cargo hold to exit she smirked and signaled for Karenika and Jakoa to start.

“It’s a new generaation… Mr. Worldwide! Of paaarty people…”

When Alex and Adair appeared (Alex in assumedly her performance outfit) with a small bag of what she needed in town, Odile had already lowered the gangplank. There was no one on the beach yet, they were all getting spots in the streets for the parade. Nika and Jake were perfect anyway. When Alex saw them, the little they were wearing, and their immediate attention on her, she squeaked, dropped her bag and covered her eyes.

Adair just shook his head at Odile, grabbed Alex’s bag, and hoisted the girl over his shoulder.

“Dance the night away. Grab somebody, drink a little more...”

“ADAIR!” In her shock her eyes came open again. She was looking back over Adair’s shoulder and saw how Nika had come off the stage and was slowly walking toward her. She squeaked and covered her eyes again. Odile heard Adair’s laugh, though not what he said to her. As they disappeared down the ramp, Odile expected that to be the last image she would have of Alex until after the festivities were over, and she came back for her ride home. Her bouncing up and down over Adair’s back, face beet red, and her hands firmly plastered to her eyes.

Nika grinned and bounced back up to the stage. Odile smiled and nodded to them, “Ah, youth.”

------

The parade was in full swing and her performers had gathered a large crowd of dancers before the airship. The small stage could be extended outward from the cargo hold, and her crew were singing away only a few feet above the revellers. They wouldn’t make any money off this in particular, but they may get call backs later for parties. Besides there was plenty of officials in attendance who they would get money off of later.

“You going to come and see the sprite sing?”

Adair had come up beside Odile in her place on the landing above the cargo hold. Odile considered this. She hadn’t planned too, but there really wasn’t any reason for her to be here right now.

“Sure, when the official songs start, this group will move off anyway. Caylin can lock up.” Adair nodded and walked back up into the living area. There was another exit to the ship at the back where the extra storage was. It was a spiralling staircase that dropped down only when needed. Odile signalled to Caylin and she jogged up to her.

“I’m off to see our guest sing. Lock up when the crowd moves on, and then you all can do what you please until a half hour before moonrise.”

“Yes Miss.” She bobbed a courtesy and Odile followed in Adair’s wake. When she landed beside him in the sand the two of then wandered their way down the beach towards the main stage where Alex was to sing.

I'm sorry for taking so long ¬¬''' Feel free to chat with 'em XD
    Whoot.
    *Dad talking about his filling.*
    PL: Did it fall out?
    Dad: Yeah! ****in' thing only lasted two days.
    PL: Huh.
    Dad. I can stick my tongue down in my hole--
    He just stops.
    *hilarity ensues*

Mom: We're one warped family.
    *through hiccups*
    PL: I didn't know you were that flexible!

Winner of five Awards in RPG, including Best Writer.
    Winner of 2009 Golden Pen for Most Original Fiction

PSN: River_in_Time
    XBOX tag: DameSquishdalot

exit stage Crowley Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Bellaevis
    :: children of the revolution ::

Bellaevis looked up at the display from her prone position on the sand. It was comfortable down there, and she had hardly any sand in her bits, which made a nice change, and if she was honest, she didn't really fancy getting up at all.

That could have been the alcohol talking.

Either way. Sand had no right to be so comfortable, especially not when she nearly got trampled over the head by some over-excited kiddies.

“Hey,” she called lazily, rolling into a more upright position. “Watch where you're going.” She sat up and looked around, espying a large group of rowdy-looking guys propping up the bar. Looked like a good time, so she picked herself up, grabbed Bellwyrm, slung it over her shoulder and sauntered in their direction.

That was, right up until she walked face first into a man. “Ow,” she said. They proceeded to do that awkward thing where he tried to escape and she didn't let him, and then, suddenly, she figured out precisely why she recognised the guy.

“You're Eden's little brother!” She grinned, thumping her fist into her palm. “I knew I recognised you from somewhere! Wow, you've grown up, haven't you. You're like a beanstalk or something.”

She looked up at him, one eyebrow raised. He sure got attractive in that time, that was for sure. Grinning widely, she elbowed him right in the ribs. “So come on then, you gonna introduce me to your friends or what? Get me a drink and I won't mention seeing you to your sister, eh?” She turned just in time to see Eden grab Nova by the collar. “Oh well, that saves me some time thinking up an excuse.”

Bellaevis waved. “Hey Eden, s'up? Don't take him away, will you? It's my fault he's here, ain't it Nova? I made him promise to buy me a drink.” She sighed exaggeratedly. “Sorry. You can blame me, if you want.”

this is hell
    we have a little something called integrity

Weasel Overlord says:
    spanner cock?

A serious brain-f*** Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Markus
    ~~~~~~

It had been two years since Markus had set foot in Ramblum. His last visit had been a reward for his promotion within the Corps and he had convinced himself not to attend the year before. Looking back he wasn’t sure what his reasoning had been; holidays tended to revolve around Eden’s dispatches, as a way of resolving his need to keep up with her level of ability, but he wasn’t sure she had been his reason for staying. His decision to go this year hadn’t hinged on her. She had been distracted with family business and he had made the decision to take this time for himself. He had always enjoyed the fireworks before and, he guiltily admitted, Ramblum had a much freer market for magi-leaf than Alexandria.

He hadn’t expected to bump into Eden. Festivals had never struck him as the type of affair she had any interest in; so it came as no surprise that she had been encouraged there under the orders of her sister. Whilst a part of him was sad to see her go, the rest of him was torn by relief and determination. She knew nothing of his attachment to magi-leaf and he never would have been able to purchase a stash with the huntress hovering nearby; but it was not that which caused the greatest upheaval of his emotions. Over the years, the Parade of Lights had taken on another, more commercial aspect, one that was either embraced or discarded by its attendees. Men who attended the festival were expected to buy a gift for the lady of their affection and either reinforce those feelings or confess them. With Eden elsewhere, Markus would have had an excuse to avoid the consumerist tradition but now that she was here…

The soldier sighed and made his way towards the many booths centralised in a section of Ramblum. Here, wooden stalls stood draped in colourful cloths, their owners beckoning to the various couples that passed by them. Markus strolled through the rows, glancing at the various wares on display from the backs of crowds. Wherever he stepped people moved from his path and he felt the looks being thrown in his direction. It was the reason he chose to wear his uniform despite being off duty. So much less trouble for him to deal with.

But what the heck do I get her? In truth, he knew very little about Eden. Most of what he knew of her had been drawn from brief conversations between bouts and the little she had been willing to reveal about herself during their Academy years. She wasn’t the kind of person who talked about personal things; wants, desires, he had no idea what these would be and no idea what type of gift she would appreciate.

He wandered up and down the merchant stalls at least a dozen times before allowing himself to be drawn over to one vendor with a display of sparkling jewellery.

“Greetings good Sir, a happy Fol to you.”

Markus smirked at his use of the unpopular abbreviation. “And to you.”

“Looking for a gift for a special someone?”

“I suppose.”

“A bracelet for the lady?” He presented a tray of bracelets and Markus shook it his head.

“I don’t think so.”

“You’re right. Too inferior.” He put the tray aside and offered up a pillow of rings. Again, Markus shook his head. They continued this way for several minutes, the merchant presenting and Markus dismissing. He wasn’t trying to be rude, but nothing he saw seemed worthy of Eden. “A special woman this is indeed,” said the merchant, discarding an elaborately designed ring. “Perhaps this,” he pulled out a box and flicked open the lid, “will be what you’re looking for.”

Markus peered inside. In the box sat a necklace. A thin silver chain comprised of what appeared to be woven strands circled the centre of the box. From the chain hung a simple pendant, a twisting cocoon-like diamond of silver, and in its centre, like a butterfly breaking out from its slumber, was a ruby. The blood eye glinted once and Markus met the merchant’s gaze. “I’ll take it.”

The necklace was moved into a gift box and adorned with a bright ribbon. It took an exchange of a month’s of Markus’ wages but he had it at last, a gift worthy of Eden’s possession. A gift worthy of confession, the merchant had said, but Markus had no intention of taking such bold action. The gift was simply bought in order to keep with tradition. Sure, that sounded like an excuse Eden would accept.

He tucked the gift into his pocket and took off in search of one of the city’s many magi-leaf vendors. It didn’t take long. The vast crowds drawn by the festival often convinced dealers to abandon their otherwise secretive haunts and venture inside the boundaries of acceptable society. He scared the dealer into a discount and tucked his newly-acquired stash into one of his satchels before heading off in search of Eden.

But it wasn’t Eden he found. No, instead he found himself in the company of the lithe Alex. Man that he was, he couldn’t resist escorting her to the shoreline. She left him there, with only the cryptic message that she was performing.

“Well, that was different. Now I’ve just got to find -”

“Honestly, I haven’t done anything!”

He stopped. “I know that voice.” He turned and sure enough there was Nova, heels dug into the sand, desperately trying to resist the iron grip of his sister. “Convenient.” He wandered over.

“Sorry. You can blame me, if you want.”

Markus didn’t know the speaker but it was clear from the looks on both of the Myst’s faces that they did. “Hey.”

Nova looked at him and the boy’s eyes narrowed. “Traitor!”

“Sorry Nova, your sister just knows how to read me.”

“You probably told her because you hoped she would let you fu-” His sentence was cut off as Eden threw him back. He stumbled but managed to keep his footing.

“One drink. Then I’m taking you back home.”

Nova scurried off and the nameless woman followed, shooting a quick thanks in Eden’s direction.

Eden let out something that sounded like a cross between a grunt and a sigh and took a few steps inland.

Markus followed. “I’m guessing you don’t want to talk about it.”

“Well observed Captain know-it-all.” She stopped and sighed. “I’m tense.”

It wasn’t an apology but he accepted it all the same. “You’re allowed to be.”

“Thanks for your permission.”

“I didn’t mean it-”

“I know, Markus. You don’t have to explain.”

He stood at her side and waited for her to speak again. As the silence dragged on he began to fiddle with the box in his pocket. He wanted to give it to her but it didn’t seem like the right time. In this state she was just as likely to smack it out his hands and call him an idiot for even thinking she would be interested in such a gift. He couldn’t take that. And yet, if he didn’t do it now…

“Eden?”

“What is it, Markus?” She wasn’t looking at him.

He took the gift from his pocket and stepped up beside her. “I uh…I got you a little something. Tradition and all.” He held the box out in front of her and tried not to focus too much on her expression, for fear that it might break his shaken resolve completely.

She took the box from him and unwrapped the gift. There was a moment of silence, one that caught his breath and held it so tightly he thought he would faint before she said anything.

“Markus…”

“I didn’t know what to get but it’s tradition so I just got you something and if you don’t like it then I understand and you can just throw it away or stick it in a drawer somewhere I just thought maybe it’d be nice to give you a gift so-”

“I like it.”

He looked at her and saw the smile on her face; that rare beautiful smile. He would shatter the heavens to keep that smile from fading. “Well…good. Like I said, it’s just for tradition’s sake. And it’s sort of an apology for not really getting you anything for you birthday. So don’t…um…don’t think too much into it.”

“Thank you, Markus.”

He looked away so she wouldn’t see the blush coming on to his face. “You’re welcome.”
    WANTED:

One signature.
    Experience preferred although training will be provided.
    Witty slogans only, please.

Imooto-deshi says:
    "BEEEE A ROUGE TOMATO"