Final Fantasy
The Ashen Realm

~ 1 ~
The Parade of Lights

Ramblum was chosen over two centuries ago to host the Parade of Lights. It was originally done in Alexandria, but the ruthless screening process to even gain access to the event deterred many of the faithful, and Ultima ordered the many cities and towns of Eden to hold a competition: whoever could attract the most people and put on the greatest performance, shall be declared the winner and be the new destination.

Ramblum won, they sanctioned help from the fal’Cie and were able to incorporate brilliant magic and technology displays that filled the all the streets with shows. Eventually the parade itself came, marching down the main street towards the beach. Originally, it was meant to celebrate Lindzei and her triumph over the first Humbaba.

Now, two centuries later, the Parade of Lights is a major tourist attraction. Ramblum is a cunning and beautiful mix of human and fal’Cie technology, with the inner city being of humanity’s making, while the houses and scenery towards the beach are the slender, beautiful designs of the fal’Cie.

- + -

Eden hadn’t been to the parade in years, though she often watched it from home in Alexandria. She had always been working– off hunting some rogue fiend or criminal in far off towns or even outside the shield. This time though, Kara had ordered her to take time off, even if it was just a day, to enjoy the show.

Eden hadn’t agreed; Kara had then changed the order to a patrol, forcing the huntress to go.

So here Eden was, patrolling the bustling streets in the dusk. Even with her sheer determination to do her job though, she found it incredibly difficult to ignore the performers that had made their way from the edge of Ramblum to the crowded main road near the beach. They were colourful: all different shades of reds, blues, purples and golds, twirling ribbons that were enchanted to sparkle and fade through the rainbow as they spun. They leapt higher than any normal human could, and wore white and black masks depicting sorrow and joy.

Behind them were tamed beasts: acrobatic riders that jumped between chocobos and horses. The chocobos themselves had their feathers dyed in different, dizzying yet pretty patterns, and they moved with the resounding music.

There was an explosion in the sky and everyone looked up. Blue energy shot outwards, turning into laces of light that changed to white, yellow and pink. Like snow, tiny stars fell from the display, making everything shine and sparkle.

“They really go all out…” Eden murmured to herself, moving past a large crowd and towards the beach opening. The sun was hiding now, and the gorgeous mix of red, orange, pink and purple spawned over the sea and Ramblum’s beach.

Soon enough the stars would come out, and the real show would begin: a fireworks display that could probably be seen by Humbaba himself, through the thunderstorms and ash of the bay of Cosmos.

“Never been to a show before?”

Eden turned her head, looking to the left with a analytical expression. Markus stood a few feet from her, arms crossed in his uniform. She let a frown dawn her face, but then turned her attention back to the growing crowd near the water, if they got rowdy, she’d have to step in.

“Are you on duty?” She finally asked as he took a few steps closer and turned to join her in scanning the area.

“Officially? No.” He offered a smirk, and she just rolled her eyes at him.

“You came to see the fireworks?”

“Yep.” His smirk turned to a smile, and laughed. “I haven’t seen them in two years, I missed the atmosphere.”

“Tch,” she crossed her own arms, shifting her weight as he relaxed. “It’s too crowded; the atmosphere is of people choking on alcohol, magi-leaf and any other combination of stimulant…”

A child ran past her, bumping up against the huntress who let out a grunt and watched the kid keeping going. They disappeared into the crowd, and the huntress just looked away, obviously displeased.

“You were ordered to guard the Parade of Lights?”

“No.” Eden replied quickly, walking away. She could hear his heavy footsteps behind her.

“So, why are you guarding the festival?”

“Kara wanted me to have a day off.” The huntress offered that as an explanation. “I refused, so she ordered me to guard the parade instead.”

“Do you ever take a day off?”

She thought back to the day where she arrested Nova and his pathetic little friends. She had never been so stressed in her life, trying with all her might to keep it quiet that the youngest member of the Myst family had gotten himself arrested and quarantined due to venturing outside, through a crack in the shielding. She had taken three days off, not nearly long enough but it’s all her mind would afford her.

It was easier to work through the stress then sit at home and dwell on it.

“No.” She replied, not seemingly bothered with the arrangement. “We need gil to live.”

“You’re sister to the Matriarch; I think you have enough money.”

“I don’t take her money.” Eden’s reply was cool and even, a sign to her old friend to drop the topic of her sister. “Nova doesn’t have a job, we need money.”

“Yeah… about him…”

Eden paused and turned to face Markus. He looked a little nervous, watching her warily as she glared at him. She was analyzing his expression, carefully picking up on the telling signs.

“Where is he?”

“What? I never said-“

Where Markus?”

“He’s down at the water, with some friends?” Eden briskly pushed past him, only stopping when Markus snatched her wrist. “Eden, he’s just having a little fun.”

She tore her wrist from him, irritated. She caught herself before she said something stupid though, and changed her sentence. “… Enjoy the fireworks.”

Eden slipped into the crowd, heading to the shore and the loud, booming music to find her damned brother.

‘Should’ve left him to rot in jail…’

- + -

Alex had never been to Ramblum before, nor had she seen so many happy people. She found the entire thing enjoyable, mingling in the crowd – no one knowing she was the girl from Aeithon. She had waited near the beach for the parade to arrive, as word was it, that’s where the show really begun. She wasn’t disappointed. Fal’Cie magic and technology went wild in the streets, making the sky gleam and stars fall around the on lookers.

One of the performers neared her, dancing about the petit girl before presenting her with a wilted rose. Alex took it curiously, unable to hide her confused frown at the present. She looked back at the sorrow-masked dancer, whose mask flickered and switched to joy.

With a way of his hand, the rose sparkled and was alive, it’s glimmering blue pedals catching the parade’s lights.

“Thank you.” Alex chimed, and watched the performer run off, bounding up onto a chocobo with ease.

From there, everything began to spread out, and Alex found herself carried off in the swarm. The performers broke into the crowd, acting as magicians, illusionists, and other such things for all that would watch. Those on horseback strutted around like fabled l’Cie knights, altering their costume’s appearance with a flick, now becoming armored soldiers.

Images of legendary eidolons danced in the sky, battling each other but none really coming out on top.

“If only the elders could see this…” Alex muttered in amazement, eyes widening as the projection of carbuncle flew down to her, kissing her nose before hurrying off towards the stars.

She paused when she heard a few people talking.

“Apparently they have the girl from Aiethon singing.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, Ultima wanted her here, apparently.”

“Oh wow, I can’t wait to hear her!”

Alex blushed and hurried towards the shoreline. She had completely forgotten about her performance. Moving at a pace that was unwise in the chaos of the crowd, it was no surprise when the songstress slammed into another person. Though she distinctly noted that whoever she had hit hadn’t budged an inch, she was now on the ground, with the sand cushioning her crash.

He was tall and built something Alex wasn’t used to seeing. Most men in her village were lanky and lean, and somewhat short. Or they were old, either way, there was no one to compare to him. She gawked at him for a second longer then she should’ve, before reality hit her.

“Oh I’m so sorry!” She gulped, clumsily getting to her feet before he could offered her a hand.

“Hey, I… are you okay?”

“Hm?” She looked up at him as she brushed herself off. “Oh, yeah, I’m fine.” She could feel blush crawling across her cheeks. “I um, I’m really sorry! I didn’t see you… I mean your tall and big but I’m… just uhh.. blind..” She frowned at her own apology. “I have to go.”

“I’ll come along,” he offered, stepping up beside her. “Make sure you don’t bump into anyone else.”

Still blushing, Alex darted her eyes away and smiled nervously. A chuckle escaped her. “Thanks…”

“So what’s your name?” He asked as they began to move.

“Alex.”

“I’m Markus.”

She noted the uniform. “Are you part of the Core?”

He nodded. “Yep.”

“Are you on duty?”

“Nope,” his reply was upbeat and chime-y. She smiled her blush fading. “You here to see the parade?”

“Oh um…” Alex shrugged, looking a little sheepishly. “I’m performing, actually.”

“Really?”

She nodded.

“What are you performing?”

She smiled as they reached the shoreline. “You’ll see.”

Markus gave her a suspicious stare, but otherwise accepted the answer. “A surprise eh?” He shrugged, glancing at someone who accidently bumped into him. “Alright, sound’s fun.”

Alex smiled. “I’ll see you around!” With that she hurried off towards the center stage.

- + -

Here’s the link to the original topic, have fun during the parade! :3