Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [GYM] MLG vs. Oslol: Disco Demolition! [Ref: More of rossy!]

It's like Rossy, but more! Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Default Re: [GYM] MLG vs. Oslol: Disco Demolition! [Ref: More of rossy!]

Round 8

Arena
    COMBAT DISCO: A large modern disco with a multicolored floor, tables and chairs on one side near a bar. Off to one side is the DJ table, with powerful speakers on both sides.
    MUSIC: Heavy Metal - Both Pokemon have the ability Heavy Metal. Steel on!

Team of Gym Leader Oslo (OXX)
    [Puff the Magic][M]
    100% HP
    100% EN
    *Heavy Metal*
    *N/A*
    Red-Hot Rhydon Plushie (Substitute (40%) + Fire Blast) ~ Focus Blast

Team of Challenger MLG (OXX)
    [Yui][F]
    20% HP
    76% EN
    *Heavy Metal*
    *N/A*
    Focus Punch ~ Faint Attack + Ice Fang

We begin this round with the Gym Leader sending out his final Pokemon, Puff the Magic Hydreigon. Puff creates a very large substitute, the biggest one can make, fashioning it into the shape of a Rhydon, but Puff would make you think otherwise. As a side, he fires a star of fire at Yui, which misses her completely. Well that's multitasking for ya. Yui breathes a sigh of relief and leaps at the sub, smashing it into the face, giving it a lot of damage. But not enough to take it down, I see.
    : -40% health, -29% energy
    [
    Sub: 20% HP]
    : -
    0% health, -11% energy
    [N/A]

Puff goes on the continued offensive and creates a brown ball of focused energy. As he fires it, Yui melts into the shadows, just catching her on the side. The sub then takes another licking, but it's still standing...just.
    : -0% health, -9% energy
    [
    Sub: 6% HP]
    : -
    8% health, -13% energy
    [N/A]

Team of Gym Leader Oslo (OXX)
    [Puff the Magic][M]
    60% HP
    62% EN
    *Heavy Metal*
    *Substitute: 6% HP *

Team of Challenger MLG (OXX)
    [Yui][F]
    12% HP
    52% EN
    *Heavy Metal*
    *N/A*

End Notes
    Well that was a...fairly normal round.
    Challenger MLG to issue attacks.
    Last edited by Rossymore; 7th April 2012 at 12:00 PM.

Jump, little Snorlax, jump! Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Uhhhh.

Well, it should be sort of intuitively obvious that I wasn't asking Puff to breathe fire on his own Substitute, right? I don't think there can be a whole lot of question about that.

Also, you didn't ref Substitute properly.

Substitute:-NRM-The user fashions a body double out of materials from its Malletspace Account and animates it with its own life force. This body double will suffer the brunt of any attacks an opponent makes until it falls apart, since Substitute also allows the user to mentally implant a misperception in all opponents that the Substitute is the actual pokémon it was built by. The opposing trainer cannot successfully order their pokémon to hit the “real” pokémon because their pokémon has a mental block against realizing that Substitute has been used. While the user of Substitute is not immune to harm, affected pokémon can only harm the user by sheer accident, since they cannot deliberately aim at it. However, non-intelligent sources of damage, such as arena damage and effects that cover the entire arena will hit both the user and the Substitute at full damage if the user and Sub wander into the affected area. Making a Substitute is even worse than normal, for instance, if the arena is being flooded with lava and everything is getting burned. The Substitute takes full damage from the lava and the creator takes full damage as well. When made, the Substitute can be charged with a varying amount of life energy from the creator. However, in the heat of battle the user will NOT be able to understand precise numerical requests, so realistic trainers should keep their requests phrased appropriately vaguely, such as “big Sub,” “regular Sub,” “as small a Sub as you can make,” or the like. The amount of energy actually put into the Sub is partially random, as is the amount of health the Substitute actually has. These values will be close to each other, but the actual health may be slightly higher or slower than the energy put in, depending on various random factors up to the ruling of the referee.
    Additional parameters for Substitute can be found here.
    And let's not even get into the fact that a Focus Punch doing 60 damage is absolutely ridiculous. That's twice as high as what it should be.

Elite Trainer

When you make the substitute the shape of a Rhydon, can you really fool a Pokemon to fall for that. If you were using a Rhydon, then Mawile would have been fooled, but you're stretching my suspension of disbelief here.

Also, Puff used 40 HP to make the sub, which is the biggest you can make it, due to the usual DC, so if the Sub is broken in one round, then you've exceeded it. Focus Punch did 20, due to super effective damage.

And the combo was named Red-Hot Rhydon Plushie, so Puff breathed fire on his own Sub to make it red-hot, so it would damage it a little bit, but not so much due to not very effective damage.

Master Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymore View Post
    When you make the substitute the shape of a Rhydon, can you really fool a Pokemon to fall for that. If you were using a Rhydon, then Mawile would have been fooled, but you're stretching my suspension of disbelief here.
    I was referencing how Substitutes in the games look like Rhydons. And besides, it's an illusion implanted into the Pokemon's mind. Read the Movelist entry. Substitutes are often made of garbage and random shit littered around the arena, so it doesn't matter whether it's a Rhydon plush or whatever. It works.

Also, Puff used 40 HP to make the sub, which is the biggest you can make it, due to the usual DC, so if the Sub is broken in one round, then you've exceeded it. Focus Punch did 20, due to super effective damage.
    Gym battles don't have damage caps.

And the combo was named Red-Hot Rhydon Plushie, so Puff breathed fire on his own Sub to make it red-hot, so it would damage it a little bit, but not so much due to not very effective damage.
    It's a colourful name I pulled out of my ass. There's a difference between the name I slap on a combo and the actual command itself, which is the part in brackets. Unless I specifically said "use Fire Blast on your Substitute" then there's no reason a Pokemon would ever do that. Ever. One last time: ever.
    Last edited by Oslo; 3rd April 2012 at 01:06 PM.

2 hot to hold, 2 cold to fold Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

O_o? Why you mad Oslo?
    Aaaaaanyway, lemme review this one.
    1. The redhot substitute idea was described a little awkwardly.
    2. Nonetheless, Sub implementation in the mind of if the foe does not change even if the user targets it. Ima hafta edit sub with some better terms to help with gen 5 permutations.
    3. Dc's affect damage dealt. Therefore, a limit on substitutes needs to be established in a match with no dc's, otherwise that's a wall of cheesefest blocking. Rossy's 40 hpmax is a good place to create a dc absent match limit on subs.
    4. The 60 dmg makes sense, 40 for sub and 20 for Fp...does fgt resist drg? Can't remember right now.

i Judge your entertainment!
    Entertaining quotes!
    From textsfromlastnight.com:

(518): I legitimately just tried to piss above my head. I got to my chest at highest. There's piss everywhere.

(801): I can't help but be optimistic. I'm like a ball of slutty sunshine.

Veteran Trainer

Ill add more comments when im at a comp, but Imo ..you coulda made a substitute outta fire....somehow.

Entertaining quotes!

(518): I legitimately just tried to piss above my head. I got to my chest at highest. There's piss everywhere.

Master Trainer

Lol, Oslo not mad. Oslo just been watching too much RuPaul's Drag Race and felt a little diva.

Yeah, I wasn't taking issue with the 40 HP Substitute (since it's up to Rossy to cap subs wherever he wants) and I also don't have a problem with the 60 HP damage (because I didn't initially realize part of that was due to Substitute, durrh). Fire Blasting one's own Substitute when that wasn't part of the explicit commands and then Yui being able to ignore the Substitute despite the Movelist just felt off.

And yeah, I really don't like those weird Gen V changes to Substitute, especially because the parameters about what support moves do/don't work seem so friggin' arbitrary. *snaps fingers in GameFreak's directions*

(Also, I don't know what you mean about making the Substitute out of fire? The Fire Blast was intended for Yui, not the Sub.)

Usertitle ftw Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

From a male, nigga please

Elite Trainer

Alright, the round has been edited, although Fire Blast missed and the Sub is nearly gone. Apologies for interpreting your orders incorrectly, Oslo.

Master Trainer

Apologies for interpreting your orders incorrectly, Oslo.
    Lol, now that I've had a few days I'm looking back on them and they weren't as transparent as they should have been, so no worries. It was probably my bad.

Also, I find it hard to take issue with someone who uses purple as the main colour for their reffings on account of how purple is objectively the best colour. [/fact]

Elite Trainer

Well purple is my favorite colour and the darker colours are easier on my eyes and the ASB uses a purple colour scheme, so I like typing in 'Dark Orchid'.

Also, MLG, you're up.

Usertitle ftw Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Aight, I dun want Yui to get scorched over again. The sub and high health of dragon make it a bit hard for Yui to take a win here, so we'll forfeit. Eight rounds, wow, that's fast!

Return!

*beams Yui*

Master Trainer

Alright, fair enough. When I first saw Yui I freaked out 'cause I expected you to pull a Pain Split. Eek.

Until we meet again.

Veteran Trainer

o.O Oslo pulled a win? Ho snap >.> ...Oslo taking us by storm. In fact..

That leaves me to challenge him for the Mod-Squad. >D

...But that'll wait for another day. Let him have a breather...

Entertaining quotes!

Master Trainer

Lol, I don't think I've gotten over our last battle. You pulled off an epic come-from-behind play which I've come to realize is kind of your signature: your recent battle with Mew, the cancelled Gym battle with Chaos, the beginning of your Gym match with Papabopp last summer... among others.

But either way, I'll take you on for sure.

Veteran Trainer

I honestly don't even try for those, they just come and then its fanfare XD. But I'm not ready for your Gym yet. Its too awesome. I gotta clear my head before I focus in.

That and teh Bulls/Knicks game is on...

Entertaining quotes!