Thread: So, Mario...

Covfefe Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Default So, Mario...

Yeah this forum doesn't seem very active... but I figured I'd give the good people of TPM a shot, probably I'll get a reply or two.

So, this is gonna be kind of like Ayeun's post from a while back asking about Zelda...

But anyway, prepare to laugh, but I've actually never played a Mario game in my life. That's right, I was raised entirely on Sony consoles and their franchises, never a Nintendo one... well, okay, a couple handheld ones obviously, I mean I'm on a POKEMON forum here (though most of you who know me know that I was originally here because of the anime). But I've never had a NES, SNES, N64, Wii or any of the like (I am actually planning on buying a 3DS though once the Kingdom Hearts game for it arrives).

So I know I'm late into this, (but they say, it's never TOO late. ) but I was thinking of picking a few of them up. I mean, aside from it being something on my bucket list, not too long ago I was with some friends playing some N64 one and it felt like some of those old school 3D games I used to play in the PS1 era (some of which I have heard be compared to it).

So what I ask is... surely someone could recommend a good order to pick them up in? I imagine it's obviously not an ongoing story, just a series of games with iconic characters and gimmicks, so yeah.

A note though, I recall kurai saying in Ayeun's topic, asking the exact same thing about Zelda, that the old 2D ones are mostly good for the nostalgia factor which probably wouldn't be as effective for someone coming in now, and I'm guessing it's the same case for Mario... which is fine, I'm looking to start on N64 anyway, they seem to be on par with PS1 graphics which is perfect for me. Unless, for some reason you think it's essential to play the earlier ones for reasons other than nostalgia.

But also, another note, I'm looking into the big action-adventure/RPG ones, what with the coins and stars and the like, none of that "Kart" competitive stuff, as classic as they may be. Unless like I said for some reason you think it's essential that I check it out, probably won't.

So yeah... figured I'd give it a shot. I know this forum's not the most active, but... I value the opinions of you guys more than, like... GameFAGs or IGNoramuses. *shudders*
    In 20 years, YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook will merge together into one super big time-wasting site called YouTwitFace.

We're not going to Guam... are we?

2 hot to hold, 2 cold to fold Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Default Re: So, Mario...

I'm sure Blade and KOT will have a more concise list, but I will say that Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island are among the top tier of Mario games that must be played.

i Judge your entertainment!
    Entertaining quotes!
    From textsfromlastnight.com:

(518): I legitimately just tried to piss above my head. I got to my chest at highest. There's piss everywhere.

(801): I can't help but be optimistic. I'm like a ball of slutty sunshine.

Smoke and fire Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

o.o I could kiss you right now.

I have owned one Mario game and it was the only one of two games I had for Snes and that was Super Mario World or was it brothers. I think it was just grapical updated reincarnations of previous nes games. You could find getting a GBA would be happy as you could pick one up cheap and there are various gameboy and gba games for them. I've happened to sell a few this year and last. They'll have title likes Super Mario Brothers 3 with usually two games on one cartridge.

But the real reason I posted was that I'm basically in the same boat as you but slightly different. My experience with games is 32/64 games in 1 consoles, brick game. Some weird Atari computer thing and all we had was bug hunt and space invaders. Dos games. A few games for Windows that I never played. Then snes for a wee while (years after it came out but as mentioned had two games only) One of which I never played. And well pokemon that I only emulated until 2008 or something when I actually got a DS Lite.

I then sold that but instead of growing up I have essentially decided to have a second childhood. I've actually been selling Nintendo handhelds and games for the past year but never actually play them. So like you I never owned a NES, N64, GC, Wii. But then I haven't owned any Playstation or Xbox either and have never played a Gameboy/GBA/DS/3DS game outside pokemon. They might get switched on for a few minutes to test they work but that is it.

I'll be looking at Zelda as that is one of the series I want to play. Kirby too. Golden Sun looks nice as done Dragonquest. And Mario would be great too. Of course my record with pokemon games are terrible as well. So this topic came perfectly for me. As I'm going to start keeping a few handhelds and games and hopefully do consoles too (though I have literally no room here for that at moment and I'm not one for emulating things).

-------

Oh and as part of my second childhood I am so going to get the recently announced Samurai Pizza Cats coming subbed/old dub to DVD ^___^ sorry I wanted to add that to some post here and this seemed very appropriate.
    Last edited by firepokemon; 14th March 2012 at 10:22 PM.
    Registered March 24th 2000

Dude, you were the dumbass who was pissing us all with your "game", you've lied to us, spammed. (yes you have) and utterly annoyed us, you big, fat hypocrite.

Oh I miss you Calaveron

Jump, little Snorlax, jump! Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Like DL said, I'm sure someone will come along and provide an exhaustive list... but Super Mario RPG, Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy (as well as its sequel) are all terrific games by anyone's standards. Also, if you want a GBA title, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is worth picking up. Emulate it if nothing else. The dialogue and characterizations alone make it worthwhile, but the gameplay is also solid.

The real Shonta Moderator

You've never played Mario!? I've never played Halo! It's like we're equal! ^_^

I was raised on Nintendo. Because of limited budgets I could only have one console a generation and I almost always chose the Nintendo console. I was so tired of buying flops (Game Gear and Saturn) that I didn't bother with the Playstation or XBox. But I have favorites on that console too (old-school Crash Bandicoot ftw). So I'm sorta apathetic towards games that aren't on a Nintendo console with several notable exceptions. Enough exceptions to make me want a 360. Love X Box Live Arcade. But back to the supreme plumber.

You gotta experience the very first, available on the Wii's Virtual Console (or on emulators if you don't wanna pay). The first three Super Mario Bros. on the NES but be careful that there's the Nintendo Hard original SMB2 and then there's the Doki Doki Panic clone SMB2.

I love ALL his platformers but I have special love for SMB3, Super Mario World 1&2. Although the second SMW is more of a Yoshi game. But you gotta play Super Mario 64, the game that set the standard for 3D platforming. Super Mario Sunshine is...kinda forgettable, I loved it but not as much as the others and it's a bitch to get 100% completion on that game.

Both Super Mario Galaxy games. Play them. At least the first one. The second one is awesome too, since it has Yoshi.

If you're looking for RPGs then go get Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Developed by Square, with a great cast and memorable battles. Oh, and the Paper Mario games. I like them because of the unique art style.
    Last edited by classy_cat18; 14th March 2012 at 10:47 PM.
    Random Quote:
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

My XBox Live gamertag is gleameyes26. Feel free to add me!

Vote for your favorite fanmade video game lyricshere!

Hardcore Casual Gamer Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

If you want a game that represents classic Mario annoyance, frustration, and difficulty but still modern, I highly recommend Super Mario Sunshine. However, like classy said, it's not easy getting all 120 Shine Sprites in that game. Especially the infamous Yoshi one. Or if you want a game with more story and substance than just rescue the Princess, play any of the RPG Marios, especially The Thousand Year Door or Bowser's Inside Story.

Or... if you want to get technical about it... there's always the Super Smash Bros. series.

Covfefe Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by classy_cat18 View Post
    You've never played Mario!? I've never played Halo! It's like we're equal! ^_^
    Uh, not really, I've never played Halo either and I don't really ever intend to. As big as a title as it is, not everyone likes FPS games, myself for instance.

I was raised on Nintendo. Because of limited budgets I could only have one console a generation and I almost always chose the Nintendo console. I was so tired of buying flops (Game Gear and Saturn) that I didn't bother with the Playstation or XBox. But I have favorites on that console too (old-school Crash Bandicoot ftw). So I'm sorta apathetic towards games that aren't on a Nintendo console with several notable exceptions. Enough exceptions to make me want a 360. Love X Box Live Arcade. But back to the supreme plumber.

You gotta experience the very first, available on the Wii's Virtual Console (or on emulators if you don't wanna pay). The first three Super Mario Bros. on the NES but be careful that there's the Nintendo Hard original SMB2 and then there's the Doki Doki Panic clone SMB2.

I love ALL his platformers but I have special love for SMB3, Super Mario World 1&2. Although the second SMW is more of a Yoshi game. But you gotta play Super Mario 64, the game that set the standard for 3D platforming. Super Mario Sunshine is...kinda forgettable, I loved it but not as much as the others and it's a bitch to get 100% completion on that game.

Both Super Mario Galaxy games. Play them. At least the first one. The second one is awesome too, since it has Yoshi.

If you're looking for RPGs then go get Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Developed by Square, with a great cast and memorable battles. Oh, and the Paper Mario games. I like them because of the unique art style.
    Mhm, thanks for that input.

Also about emulating, to those who mentioned it... I'm not too sure talking about those on this public forum is okay (yes, I am aware of my position but I don't really go in this section often to know for sure, I'll ask) but I'd be a little quiet about that if I were you, I purposely avoided mentioning it for that reason. But that will most likely be a last resort option anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DivineAll
    If you want a game that represents classic Mario annoyance, frustration, and difficulty but still modern, I highly recommend Super Mario Sunshine. However, like classy said, it's not easy getting all 120 Shine Sprites in that game. Especially the infamous Yoshi one. Or if you want a game with more story and substance than just rescue the Princess, play any of the RPG Marios, especially The Thousand Year Door or Bowser's Inside Story.
    There's nothing I like more than a game that drives me crazy getting 100% completion. I'm usually a completionist with things like that and I've played many games where I can say that's been the case, which do have "infamous" challenges that are a bitch... really for all I know it's possible that I've done it in a game where it's even harder than in this Sunshine one... but if and when I do end up getting that game I'll gladly give a report.

Or... if you want to get technical about it... there's always the Super Smash Bros. series.
    Uh huh... but you did see the last part of my post, did you not?
    In 20 years, YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook will merge together into one super big time-wasting site called YouTwitFace.

The cult of personality..... Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

In regards to the Mario series you've got to at least play the original. Without that game you can't really get a good sense for how far the series has come over the years. As far as the notable games in the series go these are the ones that absolutely must be played:

Super Mario Brothers 3 (NES)
    Super Mario World (SNES)
    Super Mario 64 (N64)

SMB3 added several of the things that would eventually become trademarks of the series. It's surprisingly long for an NES game if you're going for 100% completion (which in this case is clearing every level on a single playthrough). SMW is even longer with 96 levels if my memory is correct. As for Mario 64 I strongly believe to this day that it's the game all 3D platformers are compared to.

For the games past 64 you'll need to ask others since the last Mario game I played was Sunshine which I myself didn't care for.
    TPM's self proclaimed firearms expert, former RPG mod, occassional smartass and all around enigmatic wonder ^_~
    3DS Friend Code: 3196 4256 7846
    XBL: Enigma1985 NYJ
    Steam: enigmaticwonder
    FF.net: https://www.fanfiction.net/~enigmaticwonder85

Stay your blade from the flesh of an innocent.
    Hide in plain sight.
    Never compromise the Brotherhood.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    -The Assassin's Creed

Veteran Trainer

I was so tired of buying flops (Game Gear and Saturn)
    Lies >.>

Entertaining quotes!

(518): I legitimately just tried to piss above my head. I got to my chest at highest. There's piss everywhere.

I Finnished last Moderator

I had some Sega-fanatics as friends when I was at school and now I actually would want a Saturn or Dreamcast or preferably both as additions to my console collection. To remind me of that era.

Then to Mario. SMB3 was, I believe, the second videogame I ever played, and it was way better than the first videogame I ever played, Aladdin (on NES as well) and I still say SMB3 when someone asks what my favourite videogame is. I had to wait for 1997 to start playing videogames in daily basics, and borrowing a friend's N64 soon blew my mind with Super Mario 64. I sucked at videogames back there, even more than today, but I still loved them and even after we bought Playstation, I longed for N64. I also was against of my substitute family buying PS2 instead of GameCube but I soon bought my own one secretly together with Super Mario SunShine which was a big disappointment though. Also in 2002 or something we finally got an old N64 with Super Mario 64. But our NES was showing signs of death as the games became glitchy and stuff, and that's why I bought Game Boy Advance and the SMB3 remake, to enjoy my favourite videogame once again. It wasn't the same as with a big screen TV though.

After leaving Haapavesi, I had to start collecting videogames completely of my own, not from zero fortunately. There was no way I could play Super Mario 64 anymore unless I'd buy the remake for DS and that I did. Next up was something called Nintendo Wii and Super Mario Galaxy I bought for the positive stuff I heard about them mainly at TPM, and wasn't disappointed. I also bought an N64 with Pokemon Stadium. In 2010 I finally found an N64 from a flea market together with nothing other than the original SUPER MARIO 64 and it was like my dream finally came true and that's why I now have two functioning Nintendo 64s! Then I bought Super Mario Galaxy 2 which I still have yet to finish and finally Super Mario All-Stars Collector's Pack so now I can play my dear SMB3 in a big screen again! I also have Super Mario 3D land but although it resembles SMB3 strangely, it isn't the same.

I am ashamed of one thing about Mario and it's that I have never played Super Mario World. I also have something for/against Yoshi, I never learnt to like the poor green guy as much as I should. There's still a lot to learn for me in the world of Mario, I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    There's nothing I like more than a game that drives me crazy getting 100% completion.
    In that case, definitely get Super Mario Galaxy 2. Grandmaster Galaxy. That's all I need to say.
    Random Quote:

Veteran Trainer

I never finished super mario galaxy 2...that last galaxy pissed me off really really bad.

Entertaining quotes!

Master Trainer

What about spinoffs i.e. Mario Party, Mario Kart, Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario, Mario tennis etc?

Dude, you were the dumbass who was pissing us all with your "game", you've lied to us, spammed. (yes you have) and utterly annoyed us, you big, fat hypocrite.

Oh I miss you Calaveron

Quote Originally Posted by firepokemon View Post
    What about spinoffs i.e. Mario Party, Mario Kart, Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario, Mario tennis etc?
    He said no "kart" stuff in his first post. I'm guessing the sport games are out of the question as well.
    Random Quote:

Master Trainer

He said no "kart" stuff in his first post. I'm guessing the sport games are out of the question as well.
    LOL actually I was just hijacking Zak's post hoping someone would answer.

Oh I miss you Calaveron

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

The Mario & Luigi series as well as Paper Mario aren't what I'd call 'spinoffs.'

That being said, I am not inclined to type a huge fucking post about this, believe it or not, so I'll keep it brief:

Play SMB1 for novelty's sake. Respect the roots.
    Play SMB: Lost Levels (Don't start with me about the name.) if you want to get your ass reamed by a Mario game.
    Play SMB3 because it is utterly iconic.
    Play SMW and Yoshi's Island because YOSHI, FUCKER.
    Play SMRPG because it's full of so many minigames and fun Easter eggs and tidbits while still being faithful to both Mario and RPG fans, and then play its spiritual sequel, Paper Mario.
    Play SM64 for the same reason as SMB3.
    Play SMG because it is absolutely beautiful.
    Play SMG2 for the same reasons as SMG and SMB:LL.
    Play any of their sequels if you liked the first ones.
    Play the spinoffs if you like racing, sports, and/or minigames.
    If you like certain characters, give their games a spin. Luigi, Donkey Kong, Wario, Peach, and even Toad have their own games spanning many consoles and a few genres.
    And whatever you do, DON'T play Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time. We don't discuss that game.

That is all.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

The hair trigger is back! Moderator

Like others have said here, I strongly recommend trying Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island...there's another game I can mention here you can try called Yoshi's Safari (where Mario and Yoshi go on a quest from Princess Peach to this place called Jewelry Land where its 12 precious gems are plundered, and its two rulers, King Fret and his son Prince Pine are kidnapped by Bowser), but since it's hard to find the accessories required for playing it (the main accessory for this game is the Super Scope), if you don't mind playing games on an emulator, you should try this one out too (you have to shoot your enemies). It's a fun game to play if you like shoot-em-ups, as it does have some elements of those kind of games.
    Knight of Time

Legend of Zelda fan for life.

Owner of the Zelda Unown Trophy (2011), the Gamer Unown Trophy (2012), the Hangman Trophy (2014), the Have you played this game? Unown Trophy (2015), and the Hard Worker Trophy (2019)

Discord Handle: Knight of Time#4253

Moderator of GGG since April 2, 2020

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

By all means, play Partners in Time, TPM'ers. It's hilarity that's gone insane! Then, play Bowser's Inside story if you want to see a great series made even better!
    The Hero of Hyrule.

Veteran Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Heracross View Post
    Then, play Bowser's Inside story if you want to see a great series hit its peak after plummeting into a 20-mile crater!
    Fixed.

...Alright, alright, to be honest, PiT isn't BAD. There's really no such thing as a BAD Mario game that's

A) been made by Nintendo and
    B) lauded as a triple-AAA Mario title and not just Mario Sports Party Go-Kart Flight Simulation Cooking XXX.

However, what PiT IS is, for a game falling into those 2 categories, pretty underwhelming. It has received mixed reviews for many reasons including uninteresting characters, frustrating bosses (The final boss can take a half an hour due not to challenge, but to long-ass attacks and a FUCKTON of HP.), a sub-par soundtrack, and FUBAR'd controls because you're trying to control 4 characters at once.

Now that's not to say it's on the level of Big Rigs, Ninjabread Man, Superman 64, or any of those other infamous 'games.' PiT has its positives: Like the other M&L games, there's humor to be found everywhere, and the story is, for a Mario game, pretty damn cool and intricate, bringing stable(ish)-loop time travel and a fucking ALIEN INVASION to the Mushroom Kingdom. The levels are also a mixed bag: Some, like Yoob's belly and Star Hill (not the same one from SMRPG, by the by), are pretty fun and interesting, but others - again, especially the final one - just drag on for far too long and the game suffers from it.

To put it simply, PiT is basically the SMB2 (U.S.)/SMS of the Mario & Luigi series: It's the second installment in a series, which meant it was time to try some new shit, and while many people liked change, not all of it was good. So what we get in the end is a somewhat disjointed game from the others, as well as the lowest point of the trilogy. Maybe a 6/10.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

You get a 6/10, Blade. Not only that, but I tend to not trust biased reviews who are only intent on seeing the bad, and not the good, much like you are doing now. It's an attempt to smear a good game by labeling it with many trivial things, in your post, not one of the things you mentioned is bad in Partners in Time. Partners in Time ia great example of example of innovation, and for it's time, is also a hilarious game.
    Last edited by Link; 3rd April 2012 at 08:37 AM.
    The Hero of Hyrule.

Covfefe Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Generally whenever a large cult crowd from a fanbase says to "avoid" a game, I'm inclined to do the opposite anyway. And usually that's a good choice, I enjoyed FFX-2 a lot. Same with movies.

Veteran Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Heracross View Post
    You get a 6/10, Blade.
    That's nice. You get a 1/10 for not knowing the difference between facts ("PiT has received the lowest reviews of the M&L trilogy.") and opinions ("I like this game which makes me right and you wrong lolratingyourpost."), as well as the rest of your useless post discarded, because if you won't pretend to respect a well-constructed and generally fair recap, then why should I pretend to respect your few lines of vacuous tripe?

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

for all seasons Moderator

Happy Re: So, Mario...

Quote Originally Posted by Blademaster View Post
    uninteresting characters, frustrating bosses (The final boss can take a half an hour due not to challenge, but to long-ass attacks and a FUCKTON of HP.), a sub-par soundtrack, and FUBAR'd controls because you're trying to control 4 characters at once.
    Like the other M&L games, there's humor to be found everywhere, and the story is, for a Mario game, pretty damn cool and intricate, bringing stable(ish)-loop time travel and a fucking ALIEN INVASION to the Mushroom Kingdom.
    The levels are also a mixed bag: Some, like Yoob's belly and Star Hill (not the same one from SMRPG, by the by), are pretty fun and interesting, but others - again, especially the final one - just drag on for far too long and the game suffers from it.
    To put it simply, PiT is basically the SMB2 (U.S.)/SMS of the Mario & Luigi series: It's the second installment in a series, which meant it was time to try some new shit, and while many people liked change, not all of it was good. So what we get in the end is a somewhat disjointed game from the others, as well as the lowest point of the trilogy. Maybe a 6/10.
    Heracross, this is what we call a review. Do you see how it highlights the good and bad aspects of the game? I've put it into quote form to help condense it for you.

As of this point, your counter-argument of 'these things are invalid' is, ironically, invalid. You also claim that you have just looked at a 'biased review', whereas your lofty, faultless opinion of PiT is the one that appears biased.

In my opinion, PiT was a massive disappointment. I'm allowed to say this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
    Tony is gay for little Snorlax.

Watch my YouTube to support my drug habit

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

In the above 2 posts, Blademaster and DragoKnight raise some good and bad points. In the first place, you're allowed to say whatever you want, opinions and all. However, when it comes to stating your opinions in a derogatory way and posting stuff that even a little bit of Metacritic reading will do, you'll notice the metric score of PiT is *NOT* generated by a low score in the average, conra what Blademaster has said. Alien invasions are good in a game, such as in Earthbound, but when Blade says stuff like "PiT has received average to low scores, he is simply stating what he believes to be the case.

Metacritic is a site of respect. I respect them a lot more than the two above. You see, when you get into reviews for games, they differ widely in genre and opinions. I have seen the two above try to downplay the significance of the review process in games before. The PiT, is fun. It utilizes the touch screen functionality very well, it is a fun game in its battle mechanics, and its story is top notch. I also notice in it that you can get to fight a Bowser imitation.

Modojo sums up my thoughts even better than the two above:

Originally posted by Modojo

"Dad is great! Bring us the chocolate cake!"

Ah, yes. I desire someone, or something, bring me the chocolate cake. That, or a copy of Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time. Why? Because the game is awesome. Damn awesome. Better than chocolate cake awesome. Take the past iterations of the "Mario RPG" series (Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Superstar Saga, Paper Mario 2: Thousand Year Door) and roll them into one delicious portable game package is what Nintendo has done with Partners in Time, and it makes the game a must-have for anyone who has a Nintendo DS. No exceptions.

The game opens with things being all fine and dandy in the Mushroom Kingdom until Professor E. Gadd busts out his time machine. Sending Princess Peach back in time only to find it return in shambles and with no sign of the Princess, Mario and Luigi don't play around or waste any time - they're all over it like Toad's vest. Almost immediately, the game has players travelling back in to to face one of their most formidable challenges ever: taking care of their infant selves. There is some jazz involving some aliens and a young and bratty version of Bowser, but those events are a treat that should be left unspoken about until one actually plays the game. No spoilers here, fools! Overall, though, the story is not your typical fare for a Mario & Luigi adventure, but that's what makes it so sweet.

Partners In Time is set up like your traditional RPG in concept only. You move around a map, encountering monsters, leveling up, and discovering items and power ups. What makes it different in the classic sense is that there is an enourmous emphasis on action-oriented elements and more "twitch-reliant" (the good twitch - not bad) aspects. The game is heavy on plot and story as well, but all of it good. More on this later, though. Distilled, Partners In Time takes some of the most sucessful and polished attributes of gaming and crams it all into one firmly pressed patty. Mmmm. With mustard on top.

The combat system is deep and gratifying. Let's break it down a bit for those who may be unfamiliar: though Partners In Time is set up like your typical RPG - as in taking turns between each character getting their action - during combat you have the opporunity to use various action commands. Consistently time-based, these are specific button presses at the particular times that will benefit your attack in someway, or allow you to dodge enemy assaults. Pulling off a umping attack? Hit a button right before landing on the enemy to do a greater deal of damage. Rolling attack from an enemy? Hit the jump button right before impact and you'll dodge the incoming. Unlike traditional RPGs where attacks deal damage based on behind-the-scenes statistics and random rolls, Partners In Time leaves all of the control for how much damage you inflict and recieve in the hands of the player. It's an incredibly gratifying design, and after you really start to get the hang of how all of the various enemies behave and how your attacks and counter-attacks affect them, you just feel so damn empowered. This is what a videogame is all about.

Players are treated not only to an incredibly deep and dynamic battle system, but to an amazing set of well-designed puzzles out of battle. Since the cast of the game features Mario and Luigi as well as their toddler selves, you're often splitting up into two groups to progress through many portions of the game. This is done marvelously with the DS' two screens. Even better is that it allows you to switch back and forth in real-time during these split ups, and is actually required to complete some of the games more intricate puzzles.

The dual screen integration shines in this title like few other DS games before it. You use no stylus - both screens are for gameplay, interface, and cinematic purposes. It's actually an amazing testament to the design team; you hear so many complaints about half-assed touch screen implementation in other DS games, but here Alphadream ditched all that jazz. What you have with Partners In Time is a no-nonsense title on some unique hardware that knows exactly where its strength's lie.

One of the biggest problems with Partners in Time is that the game throws a lot to learn at you, and very quickly. People who played Superstar Saga will probably find this a bit familiar - it had a pretty steep learning curve as wll. Early on in the game, so much information about button combinations and the abilities of Mario & Luigi, and their baby counterparts, are spat at the player so quickly it can really make one's head spin. It could easily frustrate the more impatient gamer (myself being one of them), and sometimes feels like something you have to actually plow through in order to get to the more gratifying portions of the game.

What has set the Mario RPG series of games apart from most titles is the care and personality put into the games' writing. Much like a bare-bones action movie that satisfies well enough on its own, what with people getting shot in the face and all, Partners In Time is chock full of hilarious dialogue unseen in most videogames. As far as comics and general shennanigans go, I'm a tough nut to crack, but Partners In Time had me laughing out loud. Characters, places, exchanges - everything just has such a quirky human feel to it that everything comes across naturally and unforced. It's like the writers sat down and said "Ok, this stuff is all completely ridiculous and unconventional. But so what - it's funny. Let's put it in the game." That's commendable, and that alone makes the game a true gem.

Ok, I should stop gushing. I mean, one could almost see Nintendo's hand up my ass as I ramble on and about why this game is so incredible, but who cares. This is an incredibly well done piece. If you own a Nintendo DS, there is no excuse for not checking out Partners In Time. That's not a guarantee that it's a game for everyone, but rather a big fat A+ for Alphadream when it comes to Advanced Game Design. This game is the cream of the portable gaming crop, and you'll be really hard-ressed not to be taken in by at least one of it's plentiful charms.

Score:

What's Hot: Laugh-out-loud funny dialogue wrapped around virtually flawless gameplay.

What's Not: Information overload early on means there is a lot to keep track of and provides for a steep learning curve.
    Last edited by Link; 4th April 2012 at 07:21 AM.
    The Hero of Hyrule.

Veteran Trainer

Again, that's nice. Fuck what Metacritic says. Actually, don't fuck it: Even they have Superstar Saga and BIS scoring 90's while PiT lags behind with an 86. A far too generous score for the game in my opinion, as I inferred when I gave it "Maybe a 6/10." That's MY rating, and whether or not you agree with it, or how I stated that fact, means fuck-all to me right now.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe