We FanFic writers and readers must have read some books. Or you don't actually have to read the entire book through. You can start from the beginning, read one page, then get bored and leave the book! Also, you can browse the book and pick up a passage, maybe because the title of the chapter arose your attention. There are also crazy people who start from the back cover, and this is not a racist reference

So here you can post book quotes that you like, book quotes that made you laugh, book quotes that confused you, book quotes that made you cry, book quotes that blew your mind, you name it. You can also discuss these quotes.

These books can be novels, of whichever genre you want, they can be study books, non-fiction, dictionaries, whatever. Just make sure you first post the name and the author of the book and the the number of the chapter of the book from which you picked the quote, for those who want to avoid spoilers. Or if the book doesn't have chapters, just indicate somehow where you read it.

About books in different languages, you must post the English translation, either a trusted rendition OR your own translation, but in the latter case you might want to present the passage in its original language, too.

I'll start.

Nikolai Gogol, Dead Souls, Translated by C. J. Hogarth, Part I Chapter V

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai Gogol
Upon this Theodulia Ivanovna requested her guest to be seated, and accompanied the invitation with the kind of bow usually employed only by actresses who are playing the role of queens. Next, she took a seat upon the sofa, drew around her her merino gown, and sat thereafter without moving an eyelid or an eyebrow. As for Chichikov, he glanced upwards, and once more caught sight of Kanaris with his fat thighs and interminable moustache, and of Bobelina and the blackbird. For fully five minutes all present preserved a complete silence — the only sound audible being that of the blackbird’s beak against the wooden floor of the cage as the creature fished for grains of corn. Meanwhile Chichikov again surveyed the room, and saw that everything in it was massive and clumsy in the highest degree; as also that everything was curiously in keeping with the master of the house. For example, in one corner of the apartment there stood a hazelwood bureau with a bulging body on four grotesque legs — the perfect image of a bear. Also, the tables and the chairs were of the same ponderous, unrestful order, and every single article in the room appeared to be saying either, “I, too, am a Sobakevitch,” or “I am exactly like Sobakevitch.”
In case someone's wondering, I copypasted the quote from eBooks@Adelaide. It's sometimes really easy to search texts from the interent. Just Google some words or sentences and you should find it there.