Thread: Hockey, anyone?

Not-So-Cool Trainer Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Default Hockey, anyone?

Just saw an amazing save and figured I'd post here. Anyone following the Stanley Cup Playoffs? I love watching hockey, about the same as (American) (college) football and tennis. My usual quip is that I'd trade an awful St. Louis Cardinals game for a Blues Cup.

I'm rooting for the Blues to finally get that Cup. They're mid-way through their first game in a best-of-seven series with the Minnesota Wild. The Blues' goalie has been insane two periods in.

But I know I'm missing some good stories. What team do you want to win? Who's doing superhuman hockey stuff that I should watch? And, in the spirit of hockey, which teams do you just want to heckin' eff off?
    As long as I'm singin',
    Then the world's alright,
    Ev'rything's swingin',
    Long as I'm singin' my song...
    dA|FB|Twitter|Steam|Wiki

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Re: Hockey, anyone?

As the unashamed fan of all teams Chicago (at least, for three of the big four sports), let's keep that Blackhawks Dynasty rolling~! After finally having the impossible happen in baseball, it'd be wonderful to keep that winning spirit going with another Cup.

Hilarious play of the night came from Game 1 of Sharks vs. Oilers (which ended in OT with the Sharks winning 3-2), one of the Oilers leaves the penalty box and goes straight into a breakaway...only to have his stick break when he tries to take the shot on goal. Quote the TV commentators: "How do you get a broken stick in the penalty box!?"

I really can't think of any teams I'd want to get lost in the playoffs, though after getting completely shut out of the playoffs last year, it would be nice to see a Canadian team make a run (I think I'd be pretty amused to see Toronto go far).
    The one and only Pokemaster Ash
    Pokémon Master, and a bunch of other otaku-ish things...

Former ASB Veteran Trainer
    Owner of every Pokémon

Fanboy of Sabrina (Pokémon), Mistral & Mireille (.hack//), and probably quite a few others I've forgotten at the moment ^_^;

I Finnished last Moderator

It's exciting to see which teams drop and when because that always means certain reinforcements to our National Hockey Team in this year's World Cup in France and Germany. I heard Winnipeg's Patrik Laine isn't coming anyway though.

Modding GD for 20+ years Moderator

I follow the results if nothing else. I really hope Chicago won't win! Or Anaheim.
    Austrian ViceMaster Alex

Winner of the 2014 UnownN award.
    Winner of the 2015 UnownW award.

Nifty darn comics

Contact me on Steam, userhandle: avma
    Follow me on Twitter: ClarityFV

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Ugh, fuck. What the hell happened to the Blackhawks? They were so dominant in the regular season (second best regular season in franchise history), favored to win the Stanley Cup even over league-leading Washington and defending champs Pittsburgh.....and they just completely run out of gas and get swept by the Nashville Predators.

Welp, fuck the Central Division now, since the only teams the Preds can face right now are either the St.Louis Blues or Minnesota Wild and I don't want either of them going anywhere either. Go...whoever comes out of Pacific or the Eastern Conference, destroy these jerks

(...I wouldn't mind seeing San Jose vs. Montreal or Toronto for the Cup Final. Sharks are a friend's favorite team, and it's been a while since Canada got anywhere close, especially Toronto).

Cool Trainer

Can't say I'm sorry to see the Hawks go. My favorite stat of the series is the number of times Chelsea Dagger got to play (that would be zero). Still, at least you have f three recent Cups to console you.

Meanwhile the last Blues game was wonky. Our goalie was behind the net for the first goal, the lines were changing for the second, and Tarasenko's best shot whacked a teammate in the ankle. Hoping for a better time making Minnesotans sad tomorrow night.
    As long as I'm singin',
    Ev'rything's swingin',
    dA|FB|Twitter|Steam|Wiki

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

HEINZ KETCHUP

official ketchup of the NHL

it has to be heinz

This Finnish article predicts that the World Championship Final will be between Canada and Sweden, and Sweden would win.

This event taking place in Germany and France, and France playing versus my country on Sunday, I just wonder if the French have enough interest on ice hockey, since they'll have the presidential election on the same day...

for all seasons Moderator

Sweden over Canada?

Nah bruh.

Nah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
    Tony is gay for little Snorlax.

Watch my YouTube to support my drug habit

Yeah, it shows how my fellow Finns depend too much on themselves and neighbors, as we almost lost to Belarus.

Cool Trainer

And did lose to France.

Full disclosure, the Blues are also eliminated and, while I hope the Perds do well, I'm going to be numb to hockey for a little while.

So hey, who's excited for Roland Garros?
    As long as I'm singin',
    Ev'rything's swingin',
    dA|FB|Twitter|Steam|Wiki

Yep, that was humiliation. Like our worst team ever. Why is Marjamäki our coach?

For Mother Russia!

But won today. Now will only have to beat and we'll see in the finals! I must take it back what I have said about Lauri Marjamäki, he's still young, but he's really calm and our team has grown up a lot during this Championship.

The hair trigger is back! Moderator

Pittsburgh has repeated as the NHL's Stanley Cup Champion.

For the first time since the Detroit Red Wings won the Cup in 1997 and 1998, we have a repeating champion (and it's the first repeating champion in the Salary Cup Era too).

Nashville was great in the playoffs, and I'm pretty sure they exceeded a lot of expectations. But, Sidney Crosby and the Penguins were hungry to repeat as champs, so it was a well-deserved victory for them.
    Knight of Time

Legend of Zelda fan for life.

Owner of the Zelda Unown Trophy (2011), the Gamer Unown Trophy (2012), the Hangman Trophy (2014), the Have you played this game? Unown Trophy (2015), and the Hard Worker Trophy (2019)

Discord Handle: Knight of Time#4253

Moderator of GGG since April 2, 2020

Cool Trainer

I was rooting for Nashville at the end there, but the Penguins are a well-oiled machine. I feel for the fans, who booed commissioner Bettman during the Cup presentation; can't say I wouldn't have done the same.
    As long as I'm singin',
    Ev'rything's swingin',
    dA|FB|Twitter|Steam|Wiki

for all seasons Moderator

So we've got the Patriots as the reigning champs in the NFL, the Warriors likely about to become the champs in NBA, and now the Penguins retaining their title in the NHL...

Thank god for the Cubbies. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
    Tony is gay for little Snorlax.

Watch my YouTube to support my drug habit