Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Brock black?

Banned

Default Is Brock black?

Originally posted by Dr_Omicron
    But that's only my guess. For all we know, he could be Egyptian, which means he IS black.
    No, it would actually mean that he'd be Middle-Eastern/Mediterranean, and be of the same stock as the people of the Mediterranean themselves; that would make him very closely related to Caucasians, but not the European Caucasian we normally think of.

Banned

Default Is Brock black?

Yes, but Brock does indeed look Greek, or some other country in the Balkans, like Albania or Bulgaria; well, maybe not Bulgaria, but he does look Albanian.

Default Is Brock black?

Maybe Brock is an African, or of its origins. Many Africans are Black, except for a minority of the African population.
    But if Brock is an African, or of African origin, which part of Africa would he have come from?

Default Is Brock black?

Another suggestion: Brock is an Indian (In this case, Indians, as in India, and not the Red Indians). The skin colour of many Indians is Black, leading me to this conclusion.
    In several Indian movies (My sis looooves watching them, even we're from a Chinese family), I saw several characters which have the same skin colour as Brock!
    8)

Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Default Is Brock black?

i think brock has black in him. i mean, look at his hair.
    "Strong pokémon, weak pokémon. That is the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites." -Elite Four Karen

4Kids, I hate you for ruining 2 of my favorate shows

Default Is Brock black?

Originally posted by Sunkern336
    Another suggestion: Brock is an Indian (In this case, Indians, as in India, and not the Red Indians). The skin colour of many Indians is Black, leading me to this conclusion.
    In several Indian movies (My sis looooves watching them, even we're from a Chinese family), I saw several characters which have the same skin colour as Brock!
    8)
    I am a decendant of India-Indians, and, I guess I could see where you're going. Though, I would say that Brock is more of an Osakan-Japanese, since they live and work in the sun, their skin tends to be darker, and their eye openings tend to be a bit smaller than, say, a Tokyan-Japanese.
    [SIZE=1]Super Hyper Mega Ninja Pokémon World Character Randomizer!

It's ANIMation + MELEE. No "Anime" or "Lee".
    Support watching cartoons in their original languages and formats -- like Japanese Pokémon, and English Transformers Beast Wars; not the other way around!
    Pokémon Ruby Cart - Play Time as of August 3, 2004: 999:59+
    Pokémon LeafGreen Cart - Play Time as of June 7, 2005: 177:01
    Pokémon Diamond Cart - Play Time as of November 21, 2005: 00:00
    GAME FREAK, HAL Labs, Capcom, Genius Sonority, Sega, and Nintendo forever!
    Thanks to Filb for the PHP script, and for hosting my sig!

TPM's Statistician Honorary ModeratorMaster Trainer
    Master Trainer
    (Donator)

Default Is Brock black?

Ash: Asian
    Brock Asian
    Misty: White
    Gary: white

I don't think there are
    Blacks or Hispanics in Pokemon.
    Please it not supposed to be offensive
    In Japan it is mostly Asians and some White people :O!
    homeofmew
    (homeofmew#1337)

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Default Is Brock black?

Originally posted by Rei_Zero
    I'm chinese and my hair is naturally brown-black with some strands being reddish brown.

EDIT:I'm using myself to point out the possible diversity of asians...)
    i'm chinese and I have jet black hair, hardly ever see chinese people with reddish hair nowadays lol

But i would guess that brock stays out in the sun too much, hence the smaller peepers and a darker skin tone
    For terrible Pokésex: 2148-4736-7219

Default Is Brock black?

I can't help but wonder about the case of Tracey. (As if you didn't see that coming... ) It seems the animators didn't give him any eye color, but I assume they're brown. Seeing as he reigns from a tropical region, what ethnicity shall we assume he is? Do we still consider him Asian, Japanese, Caucasian, or etc.?

Just curious.

Banned

Default Is Brock black?

Originally posted by Azure Pathos-Sketchit
    I can't help but wonder about the case of Tracey. (As if you didn't see that coming... ) It seems the animators didn't give him any eye color, but I assume they're brown. Seeing as he reigns from a tropical region, what ethnicity shall we assume he is? Do we still consider him Asian, Japanese, Caucasian, or etc.?

Just curious.
    Tracey was created because American test groups voiced confusion over Brock's eyes. Because Pokemon had not yet come to the U.S., and the U.S. is a BIG market, a new character was conceived to take Brock's place.

That's right. Tracey was conceived with the U.S. in mind. That means that his very appearance was created with the intention of pleasing U.S. audiences, or in other words, creating a U.S. character.

If he's Asian, then he's Asian-American. Tracey may have been drawn in Japan, but he was born in the U.S.A.

Banned

Default Is Brock black?

Don't know if this was already mentioned, but it just came to mind: Didn't Lt. Surge say he was American? I know for sure that he served in the army, and either that doesn't make sense. They had a war in the pokemon world?

Banned

Default Is Brock black?

I'd say anime characters are a race of their own and Brock is one of the darker skinned ones. Either that or while Ash & Misty are busy playing around in the shade he's busy taking care of the 'mon in the sun. Lazy twerps.

And in reference to an earlier post, yeah it's mostly Japanese and a few white people in the land of Nippon but Bob Sapp is so huge he counts as twenty African guys in Japan. That's something.

Default Is Brock black?

Haha, Bob Sapp. That guy is probably one of the coolest people I've seen in a while. The expressions on his face sometimes are just golden.

In my opinion, Tracey seems to be from Hawaii, since he has a laid-back persona, and he wears green and pink, which are colours usually associated with Hawaiian-type shirts. So, what nationality are the people from Hawaii? I think they're a mix of Asian and Aboriginal, right?

Support watching cartoons in their original languages and formats -- like Japanese Pokémon, and English Transformers Beast Wars; not the other way around!

Banned

Default Is Brock black?

Originally posted by Animelee
    In my opinion, Tracey seems to be from Hawaii, since he has a laid-back persona, and he wears green and pink, which are colours usually associated with Hawaiian-type shirts. So, what nationality are the people from Hawaii? I think they're a mix of Asian and Aboriginal, right?
    Are you ready for this? The nationality of people from Hawaii is...Hawaiian. It's true!

You know what's funny? I always thought of Tracey as Hawaiian, except I never really thought about it. It just seemed to fit him, but I don't know why.

Oh wait. Swear to God the reason just came to me as I was typing that. It's cause he's from the Orange Islands! Sp'luh.

Banned

Default Is Brock black?

Wouldn't people in Hawaii count as Polynesian (the original inhabitants, I mean)? Regardless, Tracey is supposed to come from an island, rather than a mainland, so any Westernised island in the Pacific would be the best comparison, I think...

Default Is Brock black?

I'm one to always be studying the origins of people, and such, but I forgot what "color" the Polynesian people come under. Instead of offending someone by guessing, I'll just wait for a smart person to come fill me in on what "race" the Polynesian people are.

Banned

Default Is Brock black?

"Polynesian" basically is the race, much the same as people in Europe are Caucasian, those in Asia are "Mongoloid", or perhaps more simply, Asian, and those in Africa Negroid.

Tracey, I think, just to say something relevant, would be Caucasian, and not Polynesian; or perhaps he has a mixed descent, though that's not suggested at all...?

Banned

Default Is Brock black?

Polynesian people are the native inhabitants of the islands scattered throughout the Pacific, and parts of South East Asia.

They look like any tropical people: dark, tanned. Not as dark as Indians though.

Native Hawaiians are Polynesian. Lilo (of Lilo & Stitch) is quite certainly a native Hawaiian.

Polynesians are the stereotypical island inhabitants.

To call Mongoloids Asian would be an overgeneralisation. What about the Arabic peoples in the Middle East? The Indians in the South? The Malays in the South East? The Phillipinos (I suppose they're a mix of Hispanic and the aboriginal race) in the East?

Yes... Forgot about the Australian Aborigines... Those people are very dark - almost African in complexion. Must be the effect of living in the desert.

Banned

Default Is Brock black?

Um, I don't think Brock is black he's just a little tanned thats all ^-^;;;;

Banned

Default Is Brock black?

Originally posted by Zhen Lin
    The Phillipinos (I suppose they're a mix of Hispanic and the aboriginal race) in the East?
    That's Filipinos. The Filipinos were conquered and 'nationalized' by a variety of people, first the Spanish, then the Japanese, then the US.