Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 TPM RBY Monotype Challenge

Banned

Default 2004 TPM RBY Monotype Challenge

Poryhedron is right about Tentacruel, but pass on Golbat and take Gengar.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

oh snap. poison has to be the best monotype in the game then...

gengar/tentacruel/venusaur or victreebel/nidoking/arbok/muk

damn, that is a NICE team. ok, im restarting. screw my grass team.
    Burning in water, drowning in flame

Misanthropic Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I did a poison team last mono team I did.

Beedrill/Venusaur/Weezing/Nidoking/Arbok/Venomoth

Banned

I just finished my normal team last night. I used

Clefable-Thunderbolt, Psychic, Fire Blast, Sing
    Raticate-Hyper Fang, Super Fang, Dig, Bubblebeam
    Fearow-Drill Peck, Double-Edge, Mirror Move, Growl
    Porygon-Tri-Attack, Ice Beam, Sharpen, Recover
    Snorlax-Body Slam, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Seismic Toss

I'm planned out my psychic team this morning and came up with Kadabra, Jynx, Starmie, Hypno, and Exeggutor (no Kazam due to my laziness with trading). I should get started on it later today. It blows that I'm not using my Gold to get the elemental punches and other moves that help out, but oh well, I can do without them. I'll try to limit my use of Missingno. for moves, but Psychic is needed on this team three times (maybe two if I use something else on Starmie).

I'm thinking about using ground after completing my psychic team, but I might go with ice.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

ok, i just got my 2nd badge. This is what i have for my poison monoteam:

Ivysaur ~ Level 21
    -Tackle
    -Growl
    -Leech Seed
    -Vine Whip

Nidorino ~ Level 21
    -Leer
    -Tackle
    -Horn Attack
    -Poison Sting

Beedrill ~ Level 21
    -Poison Sting
    -Twineedle
    -Fury Attack
    -Focus Energy

so, the team is going well so far. i plan on adding a tentacool eventually. and a grimer. but for the 6th, I'm not sure. Ekans/Arbok is not available to me. I MIGHT go with zubat/golbat. haha. it would be fun. i think 3 level 21s by the 2nd gym is pretty good, right? i dunno, i don't usually play the gameboy game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Pikachu
    i think 3 level 21s by the 2nd gym is pretty good, right?
    Hah, thats hella good. Mine are usually at 18 or 19 by the time I am at Misty's gym.

I took her on yesterday with a 18 Kadabra (19 by the time I got to Starmie). She tore Kadabra a new one three times before I finally beat her. I now have Kadabra, Jynx, Slowpoke (no Staryu/mie cause I used him on water mono), and a Hypno at Fuchsia. I just need to catch an Exeggcute to complete my team. And I am going to be doing my teams from now on with no Missingno. help. Its a little harder but its not bad.

Edit: I decided not to use Exeggutor cause it took way too long to level it up and I had no Psychic to give it (Mega Drain alone doesn't cut it). I used

Kadabra-Psychic, Seismic Toss, Thunder Wave, Recover
    Hypno-Dream Eater, Tri-Attack, Submission, Hypnosis
    Mr.Mime-Thunderbolt, Confusion, Reflect, Light Screen
    Jynx-Ice Beam, Psychic, Bubblebeam, Lovely Kiss
    Slowbro-Surf, Earthquake, Fire Blast, Body Slam

I distributed TM's and made sure each had a decent moveset. Double-Edge was used on an Exeggcute and Psychic on Jynx, so Mr.Mime/Hypno were left with the leftovers. They worked good enough to let me beat the Elite Four and Mewtwo at L49-51 tho. I clocked in my psychic team at 12:33, five to ten minutes longer than what I should have (Mewtwo is just so much fun to mess with).

I am now starting a poison themed team. I am going by the order the types are in on the dex (grass/poison, water, fire/flying, bug, etc.) so poison is the next one. I have so far completed grass, water, normal, and psychic. I planned out the team and movesets last night, so all I have to do is get started.

Banned

I started Yellow and was going to do an electric team but you don't get a second electric pokemon for a long time... So I thought why don't we make it the 2004 monopokemon challange. I've restarted blue with caterpie as my starter because if butterfree can do this, any pokemon can!

Ultimate Virtual Pokémon Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Ah, yes, the Single Fighter Challenge. Get through the game with one, count'em, one, pokémon who actually battles, and then a handful of HMers who never see combat unless they need to level-evolve in order to use a given HM. Actually, scratch that, I have a list of good RBY HMers somewhere that don't need to levelup...yeah, just take Squirtle as your Starter, catch a Spearow in Route 4 and trade it for Dux the Farfetch'd, and catch a Drowzee in Route 11. That gives you access to all five HMs and Dig, and you get each of the HMers before you have the HMs...too bad it's only good in RB because you can't get Farfetch'd that early in Yellow. Yellow...best answer I have is to catch a Pidgey and a Sandshrew, and teach Flash to Pikachu and Surf to Squirtle. Sandshrew can have Cut, Dig and Strength all at once. Abra's Teleport might also come in handy as an outside-of-battle move.

By the way, I can say two things from experience. First, the challenge in a Single-Fighter Game is not being able to take down a team of six with only one pokémon, because that one pokémon gets ALL of the EXP and quickly becomes an unstoppable powerhouse. The real challenge is getting through the Elite Four and the Champion without running out of PP. Don't bother with a tank or toxistaller moveset; you need attack PP and lots of it.
    Second, elemental weaknesses can be depressing. If you've never done the Single-Fighter Challenge before, you might want to try it first with a pokémon that can nullify or otherwise handle weaknesses. A recovery move is also useful. I've completed the Single-Fighter Challenge in all three generations with a Porygon. Conversion/Conversion2 + Recover = nice. It can certainly be done without these things if you're good enough, though. For example, I've beaten Blue version with just a Rattata...hint: Raticate can use the Ice Beam TM.

/added later/ yeah, looking back I see I've already mentioned the Single-Fighter Challenge in this topic. Oh well. It's a fun challenge regardless.

Poryhedron's Monotype Challenges
    Winner of the 2007 Pokéhelper Unown Award! Glad I could be of help!
    Pokémon GO: Level 37, Team Mystic

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Weaknesses may be depressing, but I can tell you something that's worse. There's nothing more annoying than having your level 40 Venusaur take five shots to kill Gastlys that Confuse Ray and Lick-Paralyze you. ~_~ If it's your first time playing this way, pick something that can kill about every type properly...

[COLOR=silver][B]Guardian Lune

[COLOR=gold]
    All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring;
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
    The crownless again shall be king.

Banned

Just get a decently-fast Grass-type that knows Sleep Powder (Victreebell/Vileplume would be my choice, since they both get it at a low-enough level) and you shouldn't have much trouble beating Gastlys or those annoying Rockets at all. Razor Leaf and Leech Seed can punch through them well enough once they're asleep.

Oh, and someone should try Bug-type some time.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Butterfree would be a nice choice for a single fighter Bug type. Of course, if you have the Red Version like me, you may be stuck for hours looking for that Caterpie (Metapod is no good), but whatever. Butterfree is one of the earliest available Bug types in the game, and it's better than Beedrill because it has things like Psychic as options. Plus, it gets a load of awesome Powder attacks. Its lack of Poison type could get irritating, as well as its many inconvenient weaknesses, but it's still a better option that Beedrill, which doesn't get very many different types of moves that would have decent attacking power behind them. The only Special attack Beedrill has is Mega Drain, and its Special power is really bad...

[COLOR=gold]

Banned

I'm just restarting and a bit torn between ground and water...

Ground types I'd have to wait till Geodude, and would have trouble on Misty, seeing as even Water gun would KO 'em...

But Water, I'd be stuck with Squirtle/Gyarados until I get the Good rod...

I'm probably gonna choose water, but I'm still a bit torn...

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Nidoran M/Nidoran F evolve into good Ground types too (you get them at Viridian), and they won't be OHKOed by Misty. In the long run Ground is more fun because Water types can kill everything easily if you spread out the TMs right.

[COLOR=gold]

Banned

Already chose water and I'm loving it. I HAD Blastoise but the game bugged out on me so I'm back to lvl 33...Although not bad for just over a days worth of progress..

EDIT - And Waters not "easy" either. It's enough of a challenge piggybacking Magikarp for alot of the time...I'll probably try Poison or maybe be a real jerk and choose Ghost..heh...

Hmm. I'll probably end up choosing Fire...REAL challenge right there. I wouldn't recommend it though. It's really tough seeing as how Charmander is your ONLY option until you get Vulpix...

So yeah, I really don't recommend trying it.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Fire wasn't bad... Charizard can hold his own for a long, long time. The only problem is when you get into those caves where Graveler Selfdestructs... Or Charizard gets poisoned or something. I got through Fire fine, but it's Grass that I don't like. Magikarp I've piggybacked so many times it's really not a problem. It just takes a lot of patience. Once it gets to Gyarados, though... Early game, you've got it made. Every time I raise a Magikarp in a new game I keep trying not to use it so much over the other team members. It's hard to resist, though. Gyarados kills so many things so fast.

[COLOR=gold]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard04621
    Fire wasn't bad... Charizard can hold his own for a long, long time. The only problem is when you get into those caves where Graveler Selfdestructs... Or Charizard gets poisoned or something. I got through Fire fine, but it's Grass that I don't like. Magikarp I've piggybacked so many times it's really not a problem. It just takes a lot of patience. Once it gets to Gyarados, though... Early game, you've got it made. Every time I raise a Magikarp in a new game I keep trying not to use it so much over the other team members. It's hard to resist, though. Gyarados kills so many things so fast.
    How is grass that bad? I'd imagine it'd be FAR easier than fire.

Which, I might add, I find hard to accept Fire was "easier" than grass.

Banned

I was thinking of trading a low level ice from my gold version to blue cause you really don't find an ice type till you each Celadon (trading Poliwhirl for a Jynx). That seems to be the only way to use an ice team without going thru a big portion of the game without one member being ice.

I've completed grass, psychic, water, normal, ground, and poison, and am planning on doing fire later. I just bought Castlevania: SOTN and am now playing that relentlessly. I won't get back to my GBC until I am done with csotn, or until I get bored with it.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Fire gives you Charizard at an extremely high level... It's like the single fighter challenge for a bit, and then you can pick up others later. It's really not that bad. Grass is horrible when you run into Poison types, which are abundant. Ivysaur vs. Zubat has to be the most irritating thing besides battling a Confuse Ray Lick-Paralyzing Gastly with Razor Leaf. Fire simply has more offensive power typewise, in my opinion. Besides, I have always been a big fan of fire and a critic of grass. The only plus I see on a Grass team side is the various powders. Otherwise, a Fire challenge would be much easier. It's not hard to beat a level 28 Pidgeotto with a level 42 Charizard...

As for the Ice challenge, yeah, you're out of luck. The problem with obtaining Ice types is that they show up so much later in the game. Lapras is a lovely one to find in Silph, and then you get hit by a ton in Seafoam Islands. Takes forever, though. You could make a compromise and use Squirtle until you get to Jynx, since Water is close kin to Ice, but other than that, I'm not sure how to solve that problem besides using cheating devices... If you'd stand putting up with the annoying disobedience you start getting without a badge at (level 11 I think it is), you can do the trade thing, but that whole disobedience thing could make you or break you.

[COLOR=gold]

Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

Im gonna try this out with a flying mono-type team.
    I was thinking:

Charizard
    Butterfree
    Gyarados
    Dodrio
    *Need sugestion for fifth slot*
    *Need sugestion for last slot*

I'm sorry but i need help with the last two members. I will not have Beedrill or Fearow coz i don't like them

Ultimate Virtual Pokémon Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

It takes a while to get, but consider a Dragonite for your final party; it's your best bet against Electric attacks. Zapdos can take them as well, but Zapdos tends to lose against pure Electrics because both of its types are offensively weak and it doesn't get many Normal attacks. Sadly, RBY doesn't offer any solutions to Flying-types' Rock weakness, although Articuno might be able to beat Rock/Ground-types with a speedy Ice Beam.

Poryhedron's Monotype Challenges
    Winner of the 2007 Pokéhelper Unown Award! Glad I could be of help!
    Pokémon GO: Level 37, Team Mystic

Banned

At last, a excuse to dig out my Pokemon Blue and replay it!

I decided to go Poison, and started off with Bulbasaur. I went up to the next city and caught both Nidorans in the grass near the town. I went up to the forest to catch a weedle. I didn't realize how uncommon weedles were...its been an hour and I still can't find one! *cries* I even found a pikachu and two kakunas (I refuse to catch the kakunas.. I'm goign to have enough trouble piggybacking teh Zubat in Mt. moon... and I always catch weedles).

Well... i hope i find a weedle soon, or I'm going to lose interest in this soon...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IceFlash78
    At last, a excuse to dig out my Pokemon Blue and replay it!
    Exactly what I thought. I was planning on doing all of the types possible, but I just ended up doing six of them. About the third type in you start to lose interest (atleast thats what happened with me). After a while everything seems too repetitive. Also, if you choose the right type, after a while the trainers aren't even challenges. I was battling L32 pokes with my L43 psychics. The only real challenges are in the gyms when you reach the leader and you have a type disadvantage. Then the challenging hard part is trying to beat the Elite Four with a team of L50's (or is it just me? I always took them on at or below L50).

Anyways, I'm going to pull out my Gold and try the monotype thing there, or create a team with pokes I have never used before. Either way, my Blue is gonna collect dust for a few months.

Banned

Just completed Water-mastery, and am now moving onto Fire(<.<;; AKA "Single-Pokemon till Celadon" challenge...)

Banned

Well, considering I lack a version of RBY these days, I decided to use my Crystal Game instead. I'm doing a poison Monotype and am not doing too badly. I'm considering the challenge complete when I beat Red on Mt. Silver

Team:
    Arbok
    Golbat
    Gengar
    Tentacruel
    Weepinbell
    Ariados

Progress:
    Currently just finished Radio Tower.
    Summary of Gyms so far:
    Falkner:
    Absolute hell. The pokemon I had were either weak to flyers (Beedrill, Bellsprout, Spinarak) or had moves that did almost no damage to flyers (Zubat-Leech Life). Had to spend at least two hours training up to pass it. Beedrill with harden saved the day though. ^_^

Bugsy:
    Reasonably easy. Just smacked my way through with the pathetic poison sting most of the pokemon had. >.<

Whitney:
    Not too bad. Ekans had headbutt, which helped. Sleep powder from Weepinbell was a lifesaver.

Morty:
    Slaughtered by Ekans and Zubat with bite. ^_^

Chuck:
    Easy, due to a lot of fighting resistance on the team. Chuck's superior levels were dangerous, but Haunter saved the day with Curse!

Jasmine:
    Reasonably difficult, as I lacked fire moves to take down the steelies. Haunter and Ariados with Night Shade cut through while weepinbell slept them. ^_^.

Pryce:
    A long, tough battle. Golbat was knocked out early due to type weaknesses and weepinbell too. Tentacool and Gengar did the meat of the damage, with Arbok supporting.

I know Clair's going to be a headache, but still, with Gengar immune to the ever so evil ingame hyper beam, I should be OK.

^_^

I'm considering dumping Ariados for a Nidoking, as it's doing the least work on my team, plus I could use another pokemon with elemental power, as Gengar has now taken up the role as Special attacker with All the element punches.

PS. I'm aware this is the RBY board, but the GSC board doesn't have a monotype challenge last I checked.

Banned

>_<;; Unfortunetly, my GBA SP battery has finally died so I'm gonna have to put the Fire-type challenge on hold.

Banned

Woohoo! I've beaten the 1337 four. I'm now moseying my way to Kanto. I have to say, mystery gift has been helpful, giving me tons of free revives and such.

Go poison team, go!

Now, I can get a bunch more Poison types. Muk anyone?

Banned

Muk is awesome as a Poison type. Every non-monotype game I always think of using it, then remember it'd be a real pain to just drop my almost-completed team.

My my, I sure did lose out when I was away, huh? =b

Well, I guess I should give it a go too, probably with water since they're so diverse and engimatic, normal, since they work well with anything, or poison, since there's too damn many of them. Or something else altogether. I'll go post again when I get started.

Speaking of which, this reminds me of another challenge, although it'll look like a stroll compared to the Single-Fighter challenge - the Tri-Starter Challenge. I don't want to get off topic with this, so I'll post this idea in a new thread prolly later today or some other day.
    AYE ESS BEE

Shamshir/Wario/Joann/Mr. Larpus/Giant Enemy Crab (Xanthius)
    Meliadoul/Shizuka/Roy/Pit/Taina
    Celice/Anita/Asmodeus/Ferdinand
    Elekid

Work It Harder Make It Better
    Do It Faster, Makes Us stronger
    More Than Ever Hour After
    Our Work Is Never Over

Alright! It's underway! I honestly doubt anybody will ever read this, since activity is a bit in a lull in the R/B/Y, but I'm posting this for its sake anyway. =b

Anywho, I'm starting a Mono-Normal team now, simply because they're extremely diverse and have a multidude of characteristics that make them useful and unique. So far, under my player handle Bob, my current status is...

Player Bob

1. Pidgey (Lv4) - Gust
    2. Rattata (Lv3) - Tackle/Sand Attack

Lame, but bleh. =b I'll go eventually pick up a Spearow and train that well too. I'll give another update after Petwer.

-Chris R.
    AYE ESS BEE

Elekid

Our Work Is Never Over

UPDATE: I've just completed Brock's Gym...and barely under 3 hours! Rawr. =b Anywho, here's my status so far.

Player Bob
    Badges: Boulder Badge
    Time: 2:46, Day 3

Pokémon:
    1. Pidgey (Lv.14) - Gust/Sand-Attack/Quick Attack
    2. Rattata (Lv.14) - Hyper Fang/Tail Whip/Quick Attack/Tackle
    3. Spearow (Lv. 15) - Peck/Fury Attack/Leer/Growl

Still not much in the way of diversity (especially with one TM, and a poor one at that), but at least its much better than where I've started! XD

Anywho, the battle against Brock was a pain. That stupid Geodude keeps using Defense Curl to make its defense so high, that my attacks only ended up doing 1-2 points of damage (not like they were going to do much in the first place), and still got in to hit for 6-8 points of damage, even with all six Sand-Attacks. I eventually switched to Spearow and Growled it to death, then Pecked away for what little damage I was doing. XD
    Onix was mucho easier though. Bide screams out for to pack on dehabilitator moves, yet don't do 0 HP while the poor beast sits like a log, while my Spearow kept Growling and Leering with all its might. Even then, it was still hard work. Regardless, teh badge is mineth - and I didn't even have to use Rattata and its Hyper Fang either. XD

Anywho, that's that. I'm gonna go continue on to the Moon Mountain and maybe snatch a Clefairy while I'm at it. Oh Misty and her Bubblebeaming Starmie is gonna be a pain. X_X

-Chris R.
    AYE ESS BEE

Elekid

Our Work Is Never Over

UPDATE: Here's my status so far, after a suprisingly easy Misty. XD

Player Bob
    Badges: Boulder, Cascade
    Play Time: 5:43

Pokémon
    1. Pidgeotto (Lv.23) - Gust/Sand-Attack/Quick Attack/Whirlwind
    2. Raticate (Lv. 22) - Hyper Fang/Tail Whip/Quick Attack/Tackle
    3. Fearow (Lv. 22) - Peck/Fury Attack/Leer/Growl
    4. Clefairy (Lv. 23) - Mega Punch/Water Gun/Doubleslap/Sing

Progress:

When we last left our normal-type hero Bob, he was struggling along Brock's Rock(/Ground) Pokémon at Pewter City. Now, things are beginning to look up for him.

The trainers along Route 3 were a hassle, not because they were hard, but because Bob's Pokémon did not have great defense, nor much type advantages over the opposing monsters, save for Flying moves. Rattata's Hyper Fang took care of many, though.

It was almost the same story back in Mount Moon as well, but less harsh due to the rigorous training of his Pokémon, as well as the aquiring of a neat rare Normal type, Clefairy. Clefairy was a strong Pokémon indeed, growing at an alarming rate, as well as arming itself with Mega Punch (almost as good as Rattata/Raticate's Hyper Fang) and Water Gun (useful against Rock and Fire types) from the various TMs that lie scattered amongst the floor.

By about the fifth hour, our hero Bob and his monsters exited the Moon Mountain and headed eastard onto Cerulean City, knowing there was no turning back for quite some time due to a cleverly-placed ledge right near the end of the route.

Hearing rumors of a vicious Water/Psychic type used by the Gym Leader at Lv. 21, armed with a base Special stat of 100 and base Speed of 115, with a powerful STAB Water move that deals 60, our hero Bob decides to train up more by Nugget Bridge and Routes 24 and 25, facing many challenging opponents on his way, but thanks to his evolved Normals that he trained all the back around Viridian (Pidgeotto, Raticate, Fearow), they were no match.

At concluding Route 25, he met the Pokémaniac Bill, who for some reason, turned himself into a Rhydon (Or a Nidorino, or something, whatever that sprite looks like). With the help of our friend Bob, he reverted the poor guy to his original state. Bob's reward - a neat S.S. Ticket for the S.S. Anne our friend Bob will be exploring later on.

After training a bit more in Routes 4/24/25, Bob became confident and decided to tackle the Gym head on now.

Within the Gym, the trainers and their monsters were more of an annoyance than a burden. They resulted in Bob spending $600 dollars worth of Potions for no reason altogether!

Then came the real challenge - Misty herself. Bob decided to start things easy, so he sent my only non-evolved Poké - Clefairy - out first. Misty's Staryu followed suit.

The first battle was quite easy, mainly because Clefairy's Sing was able to sleep Staryu on the first go, and deal 75% damage to Staryu with just one Mega Punch. Then came the dreaded Starmie, who would usually demolish everything and anything with Bubblebeam, which expected to happen, but instead, all Clefairy got was...a mere Tackle that only scratched it (is a she?). It happened again when Clefairy tried Singing - and successful - again. From there on, Bob's Clefairy Mega Punched the Starmie to death, and in return, received the Cascade Badge. Now he could use traded Pokémon now! ^_^

Well, that is all for the mysterious and wonderful tales of Bob, the normal-type trainer. What will happen when he boards the S.S. Anne? What about the third Gym? When and will he receive Meowth (Bob's playing the Red version BTW)? You'll find out next time, and next time, you'll find out! ^^

-Chris R.
    AYE ESS BEE

Elekid

Our Work Is Never Over

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

wow, those are actually semi-interesting. good job, keep it up!

UPDATE: Mwuahahahaha...my team is kicking arse and taking names. Here's what's up so far.

Player Bob
    Badges: Boulder, Cascade, Thunder
    Play Time: 9:02, Day 9

Pokémon:
    Pidgeotto -Lv. 27- - Gust/Sand-Attack/Quick Attack/Whirlwind
    Raticate -Lv. 28- - Hyper Fang/Tail Whip/Quick Attack/Tackle
    Fearow -Lv. 28- - Peck/Fury Attack/Leer/Mirror Move
    Meowth (Samus)* -Lv. 28- - Bite/Screech/Pay Day/Bubblebeam
    Clefairy -Lv. 29- - Mega Punch/Water Gun/Minimize/Rest

* = Denotes a traded Pokémon

Progress
    When we last left our hero of the story, Bob the normal-type trainer, he managed to defeat Misty, the Gym Leader with much surprise and ease, earning our hero the second badge, as well as the ability to wield traded Monsters Lv.30 and lower at will. Now, armed with the S.S. Ticket and the Second Badge, our hero makes way towards Vermillion.

The trainers of Route 6 weren't much to discuss, they were just...there. Interesting to note that they seemed really weak compared to the rigor training for Cerculean's Gym.

Then came Vermillion City, where many neat things were around, including the Bike Voucher and the S.S. Anne, the luxury cruise liner of R/B/G/Y. But first...was very important! Bob got a trade! Yay! He traded a Nidoran (M) Bob caught for no apparent reason back over near Viridian for a Meowth! ^_^ He's planning to give it Slash, a very GOOD move for Meowth/Persian, as well as Bubblebeam, for no other reason but filler. At least it's good for something against Rock/Ground pogeys.

After some beefing up his new Meowth at Route 4, our hero of the story wanted to go on a cruise, so he did on the infamous S.S. Anne. It'd be a cool cruise if only the poor captain wasn't so seasick (that's not a good trait for a sea captian IMHO).

The trainers were again, not much to discuss, save for one word - critical mania (ok, that's two words, just shut up, ok?). Tentacools, Shellders, Growlithes, Pikarats, and even stuff as slow as Machop were dealing critical damage that usually dealed 50% damage or higher, even without critical moves such as Karate Chop. Scary huh? At least Blue (or Green, Gary, or Shigeru, or whoever the name of the rival in these games are) was comparily pathetic, as his team was swept with Bob's Raticate and its amazing Hyper Fang, while Blue and his team watched in horror as they couldn't do anything. XD

Eventually, our friend meets with the captain for the first (and last) time as he gave him a lil' massage and received the HM01 - a lame battle move that at least is useful on the field. Bob was gonna go to the Pokémon Center to heal up and hang out on the cruise liner as it sets sail, but the stoopid ship sets off without him. So much for a ticket. Whee.

Although somewhat bitter about that mishap, Bob had to focus on his main goal - to serve as the pixelated hero to beat all 8 gyms, beat the (un)Elite 4, and the super-rigged Mewtwo! Why? Simple - the programming wouldn't allow heroes to take vacations. Sucks for video game characters, huh? =b

So, our hero, with the new HM, managed to cut down those annoying skinny trees that block off all the cool stuff early on. From there, our hero navigated the bizzare mechanisims of the gym, managing to get the dual-switches on the first try, allowing him to reach Lt. Surge, who is interestingly dubbed the 'Lighting American.' (This is interesting since the Pokémon games seem to take place in Japan, or at least a variation of it somehow)

Fearow and Pidgeotto were at risk for this match, even though there were overleveled (at least in my opinion), so I sent out my Clefairy and its new Minimize ability! After the 6th Minimize fell, Surge's Pogeys fell helpless, as their attacks flew all over the place, including the ultra-powerful Thunderbolt, while our fairy friend was as tiny as a wasp. Through Mega Punch clobbering after Mega Punch clobbering, our hero was victorious once more, and received the Badge of Thunder, giving his Pokémon extra speed (do the badges really increase stats? O_o) as well as the neat ability, HM02 Fly, to be used anytime, anywhere.

Our hero, knowing the most direct road to Celdon, which is north from Saffron, then west by Route 8, also knew that there was no way to access it due to a road block for some reason unbeknownst to our pixelated friend, although rumors sprout of Team Rocket lurking around in those parts. Bob then decided to head via by Lavender town, then take the Underground Route there to Celadon, and so he did.

Too bad a big, fat, sleeping Pokémon was blocking the road!

So, our hero Bob had no other choice left - to take Route 9 through Cerulean City, and Route 10, with the infamous Rock Tunnel, home to many annoying beasts and not-so-dark layout.

Our hero breezed though Route 9 with ease, although the Hikers gave a bit of a problem with their arbitrary Machops with the Rock/Ground monsters, dealing severe damage to Clefairy and Meowth, the only ones with Water moves to beat down the Defense-clad Rock(/Ground) types. What's even more frightening is the abnormal pace our meowing monster was growing at. The Badge of Cascade only allows traded monsters of Lv. 30 and below to obey to the user. Meowth is at already Lv. 28! Looks like it won't see much action for a while.

How will our hero Bob fare in the Tunnel of Rocks? Will he be able to tame his krazee kat Meowth before its too late? Why does he have to go such a long way for just ONE Badge? Will I run out of things to say? Find out next time, as the poster must make his leave! More will come on its way!

-Chris R.
    AYE ESS BEE

Elekid

Our Work Is Never Over

UPDATE: Yowza...I didn't update this in a while huh? O_O

Player Bob
    Badges: Boulder, Cascade, Thunder, Rainbow, Soul
    Play Time: 15:58

Pokémon

1. Chansey (Budgie) -Lv. 27- Thunderbolt/Thunder Wave/Sing/Softboiled
    2. Snorlax (Munchy) -Lv. 37- Headbutt/Amnesia/Rest/Body Slam
    3. Dodrio (Dodo) -Lv. 38- Drill Peck/Growl/Fury Attack/Peck
    4. Persian (Samus)* -Lv. 39- Bite/Screech/Pay Day/Bubblebeam
    5. Clefable (Fairypuff) -Lv. 38- Psychic/Ice Beam/Minimize/Rest

* = Denotes a traded Pokémon

Progress

When we last left our hero Bob, he was somewhere in the middle of nowhereland, stuck in the not-so-infinite-depths-yet-really-dark-anyway caverns of Rock Tunnel. The wild Pokémon were annoying to our misfortunate heroes, and the trainers were a pain, dealing considerable amounts of damage to Bob's low defense monsters (Raticate, Fearow, Pidegotto, and to some extents, Clefairy). The huge amounts of Rock(/Ground) types in the cave begged for Bob to use his Meowth, but he feared it would be 'Loafing Around.' Some bad. =\

Regardless, he made it out in one piece. The same couldn't be said for his monsters, as they were banged up pretty badly. O_O

Thankfully, a Pocket Monster Center was nearby, allowing Bob to heal his monsters 'back to fighting fit!' (kinda cathy, don'cha think? ^_~). Bob decided to take a stroll into Pokémon, hoping he could catch a Normal or two (BTW, this is Bob's first time into the Pokémon world. Pretty late huh? =b).

After hours of searching, Bob search was to no avail, until he came across his rival, Shig(eru)(G)ar(y)(B)lue, or Shigarlue man! (Corny huh? =) He was beaten easily though, although Bob came a across a Gyarados...with Hydro Pump! Seriously...level 20 something - and with Hydro Pump? Come on!

The next part of this wonderful tale will come very soon. Wow...imagine what I have to type up. X_X

-Chris R.
    AYE ESS BEE

Elekid

Our Work Is Never Over

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

I actually did try this challenge, but I forgot to ever post about it. I'm doing it with Normal types. And I konw I'm not the best with movesets.

Current Team:

Chansey » Level 49 » Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Reflect, Light Screen
    Tauros » Level 50 » Double Edge, Earthquake, Double Team, Rest
    Snorlax » Level 49 » Surf, Amnesia, Rest, Body Slam
    Dodrio » Level 50 » Tri Attack, Drill Peck, Double Team, Agility
    Wigglytuff » Level 50 » Body Slam, Thunder Wave, Substitute, Rest
    Kangaskhan » Level 51 » Body Slam, Rock Slide, Toxic, Counter

I'm currently at the Indigo Plateau, training up to battle The Elite Four. I'll update this rather brief post when I get the time - I'll tell you about how I got through the game and who I used. Right now I don't have the time though...

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Okay I'm going to do this using the only first generation pokemon game I still have. yellow version. I don't know which type to use though. Any ideas. Also i think the rules should include having a team of 6 with level totals of at least 500. That way making a very good team too. It's not much of a challenge the way it is now.
    Pokemon Pearl FC: 3479 9091 3139

Note: Hmmm...you should go for a Poison, Normal, or Water mono to start out, since they have various varied types and have good Pokémon at various points of the game. As far as making a team with stat totals to 500 or more, that would take the challenge out even further, since that would limit the number of usable monsters to high-stat beasts. I would suggest that you could set level caps so that your monsters don't end up too powerful. That could serve to be a better challenge IMHO, but anything is fine.

Oh yes, time to continue Bob's mis-adventures as the Normal Type Trainer! ^^;

Progess (cont.)

After the mess with his evil rival, with a name so long we'd rather not get into it, our hero Bob heads westward towards Celedon after his monsters get spooked by the unidentified blobs of ghosts (Imagine if you put a Mewtwo in there w/o the Silph Scope - that proves Mewtwo IS indeed afraid of something! ).

At Celedon, there are many wonderful and mysterious things to do and see, or to see and do if you prefer. There's the ever-so-wonderful rigged casino, Eevee which gets elemental evolutions completely irrelated to the current quest, a hotel with a ghost PC, another sleeping fatso blocking Cycling Road, and a brat that gives away free TMs!

But of course - first things first! The Gym Badge of Rainbows! Otherwise we'd end up with a krazee kat (AKA Meowth).

The Pokémon were resonably easy, as a result of Fearow with its Peck, and the newly trained Doduo with the Peck - of Drilling! XD Eventually it became Dodrio, and swept the entire Gym with ease. Fourth Badge received. (Simple as that. ^_^ Now Meowth can grow even more! (Without going nutso)

Our hero Bob decided to go to the casino to go wander around aimlessly, even fully aware that the slots are screwed up. Now why would a Rocket be doing in a place like this? Battle! ^_^ Our hero Bob chased the ill-fated Rocket downstairs, and begain to kick arse and take names. It had to come back a second time, since there was too much loot to take (it wasn't going to make up for the lost Pokébucks though ;_.

Finally, our hero faces off against Giovanni, the big cheese himself. His Onix and Rhyhorn weren't so tuff compared to Meowth and its Bubblebeam, but his Kangaskhan was a wholely different story. His Comet Punch was bad alright, but...Critical Hits? Come on! X_X Meowth nearly fainted on multiple occasions, that Clefable had to eventually take the lead. With its newly learnt Ice Beam, as well as the Minimize-Rest combo, it finally was take down. He sure gave away loads of money - as well as the extremely (semi-)useful Silph Scope which would be at least good to get past that annoying Marowak.

-More on the way-
    AYE ESS BEE

Elekid

Our Work Is Never Over

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Those were intresting have you stopped playing it or something. it has been a while.
    Pokemon Pearl FC: 3479 9091 3139

Banned

Alright, time to recap on between Pallet to Rock Tunnel XD

Name: Edge
    Starter: Bulbasaur
    Reasoning: Edge from FF2 was a Ninja
    Rival: Rubicnt(Rubicant didn't fit)
    Starter: Charmander
    Reasoning: Edges big rival.

Pallet to Pewter:
    Picked up Bulbasaur and such. Got to Viridian and made a beeline for Nidoran male AND female. Leveled up my Pokemon, got Venusaur, and rushed through to Brock.

Rock Tunnel to Cerulean:
    Leveled up Nidoran male and female to Nidorino and Nidorina. Shortly afterwards, evolved them both into Nidoking and Nidoqueen. Caught a Zubat and began training it. Got to Cerulean, beat Gary, etc. and took out Misty with relative ease.

Vermillion to Lavender:
    Still here right now. Zubat evolved, and I finished up the S.S. Anne, using Bellsprout as my HM-slave for Cut. Took out Surge with, obviously, no trouble at all. Nidoking and Queen took apart the gym(I only searched like 4 cans and went in ). Pretty much a cut and dry win. More on when I get to/through Rock Tunnel and get to Erika.

Plan on adding Venomoth soon, and probably dropping Nidoking once I can get another Body Slam TM from Yellow.

Wow...people actually read this? O_o Well, I apologize, but this is really a huge bit to type up (so much I had to halt the challenge altogether). Bear with me as I try to finish this part up!

Progress (cont.)

Our normal-type hero defiant Bob continues his journey to be the Pokémon unMaster of the wonderful world of R/B/Y. After beating that annoying Marowak with a clever Bubblebeam from Meowth, Bob's monsters stomped the Rocket Grunts with ease with his Pokémon superior levels, although the Poison Monsters gave Bob and Pokémon a severe hernia with their infamous Confuse Ray and Smog attacks.

And the point of all this unrelated mess? Simple - the PokéFlute given my Mr. Fuji which allows Bob to save not-so valuable money on Awakenings, wake up annoying sleeping monsters, and...not much else. Oh well.

With this miraculous contraption, Bob managed to awaken the almighty Snorlax (why couldn't he capture it already and get it overwith?) at Route 12, and it was quite in a grumpy rage indeed, with a powerful Headbutt that caused much mayhem to Bob's Pokémon, despite them all being stronger levelwise. After a tense battle of stat messing and Rest manipulation, since Bob doesn't have any sleepers, Snorlax was finally caught and made as part of Bob's own. Onward to Fushia by Silence Bridge and the road afterwards! (Routes 12, 13, 14, and 15)

Training the mighty Snorlax was a hassle, as it only had 15 PP for direct attacks (Headbutt), so Bob had to end up using Ether after Ether (he only used 2 Ethers BTW). He had to end up putting it away at the end of the lineup at Lv. 32. Whee. >.> The rest of the monsters had a good workout, Raticate and Dodrio especially, as their attacks came in useful and sweeping many of the trainers' teams along the way. Meowth evolved by accident at Lv. 40 in Persian. An accident because Bob originally perceived for Persian to learn Slash at Lv. 44 and felt suspicious that Meowth wasn't learning anything useful for a while. It turned out the opposite - Meowth learns the attack at the Lv. 44...and Persian learns at Lv. 50+! :eek: :eek :eek:

Nevertheless, Bob's monsters ended up to be very powerful, all over Lv. 35 at least, with the exception of Snorlax, which was at a mere Lv. 32. Nevertheless, fight for the next Gym Badge! >D

Bob's monsters (which was now Snorlax, Clefable, Dodrio, and Persian; Raticate was put away), managed to get the better of the trainers in Koga's Gym, but not without a fight. The trainer's monsters packed a considerable punch with dangerous moves such as Psychic and Slash, to annoyers, such as Poison Gas and Sand-Attack. Training Snorlax was much a hassle due to this, but...it learned Body Slam in the process! Needless to say that the walls didn't stand a chance. :b

The fight with Koga was tough, due to the high-defense nature of the Pokémon he had, as well as the Koffings and Weezings knowing Explosion. The newly trained Snorlax managed to crush the competition, with Clefable ready with its Minimize-Rest combo and many healing Lemonades supporting. Finally, the Badge of Souls was finally his!

After the fight with the Poison-type Ninja Master, Bob wanted to complete his Normal-type team as well as obtaining the much (semi-)useful HMs of Surf and Strength to complete his game and at least do something interesting for once, such as actually making an effort to play the more modern Pokémon games for instance.

And there no better place than the Safari Zone.

'For just $500, you can catch all the Pokémon in the Park,' says the ad. What it turned out to be was a scam of some sorts, driving players mad with the crapshoot of Throw Bait, Throw Rock, and Throw Ball. The only problem with this is that it'd was foolfull, rather than foolproof, as Pokémon run for no apparent reason, and there's no type of strategy of some sort to actually catching anything worthy. In fact, Bob would be better off throwing Safari Balls left and right and be lucky that he caught something (actually he was - he manage to swipe a Chansey with one Safari Ball in the Safari Zone without fail on the first try. Lucky huh? =b).

Even though our hero defiant Bob managed to clean out various odd items of various sorts, including the semi-valuable HM03 (at least for this type of challenge for the fomer one) and the Gold Teeth useful for even-less valuable HM04, he still was upset about the hectic mess of capturing monsters this way, and not even with using Pokémon! (imagine if a Rock was thrown at a real Rhyhorn, and how that'd play out. X_X)

So, he had to use the backdoor method - the Seafoam Islands Monster Catching Trick (or the Cinnibar Shore Catching Trick if you prefer). (1)

After a long voyage of sea, more sea, sea trainers, and annoying Tentacool to boot, our favorite hero defiant got on his pet Goldeen (how you get your body weight on something so small like that?) and Surfed up and down, down and up, so much, that he fell asleep on the seashore. =b

And what's this...a Tauros! A real one to boot and its Tackle was enough to do some considerable damage for a Lv. 26 monster, even to Lv. 30-40 monsters! Woohoo! This one's his!

Tauros' moveset wasn't that bright however, and its level (as well as Chansey) were pretty low compared to the current status of the challenge, so they had much training to do, until they hit the mid - Lv. 30 range, which was pretty neat. They also learned some really neat moves, such as Softboiled, Thunder Wave, and Body Slam. Koolness. ^_^

So now, after going uphill by Cycling Road (Routes 16, 17 and 18), and building up his Chansey and Tauros (which was a hassle, as they were quite strong, especially the Fighting Types), and capturing the Cycling Road Snorlax for novelty reasons, Bob continues his adventure by freeing the city of Saffron from the Rocket Team (do they really make Rockets?) and by heading onward and facing Sabrina, the master of the annoying metagame monsters of R/B/Y - Psychic.

Dut, dut, duh! *Cheesy dramatic thunderclap, and then curtain falls*

(1) - I only used this trick because catching monsters by Safari Zone rules well...suck. The Safari Zone only plays out essentially as a hit-and-miss game of luck and tediousness, especially for extremely rare beasts such as Kangaskhan and Tauros. Will this trick be legal to use in this challenge?

-Chris R.
    AYE ESS BEE

Elekid

Our Work Is Never Over