PDA

View Full Version : making smaller pictures?

GirlRepellant
26th August 2004, 07:00 PM
Is there a way in Windows XP to make a picture a smaller size (in storage space, not actual size, although if I need to do that, that's cool)?
My pictures take up 1 MB of space, and for posting online that's a bit much for multiple pictures. Thanks.

abunaidesu
26th August 2004, 07:02 PM
change the image format?

GirlRepellant
26th August 2004, 07:07 PM
But how would I do that (on existing pictures, not on new pictures I'm adding to my comp)?

Water Pokemon Master
26th August 2004, 07:09 PM
You can compress all your files in Windows XP, and the files themselves won't become lower quality or anything like that. To compress a file, all you have to do is right click it, go to Properties, click Advanced, then checkmark "Compress contents to save disk space."

Prodigy
26th August 2004, 07:11 PM
Open them up in MS Paint and select Save As --> Save As Type. Jpegs compress pretty well but if you have pictures with solid colors that you don't want messed with, just so they look nice or so you can edit them later, jpegs will screw that up.. png files maintain bitmap colors with good compression but they're not nearly as common so some things might not be able to handle them.. I'm pretty sure you can't send them over an AIM direct IM transfer, for example. Don't use bitmaps unless you have plenty of hard drive space.

fat man with a monkey
26th August 2004, 07:14 PM
"I'm pretty sure you can't send them over an AIM direct IM transfer, for example" last time I checked you couldn't. All that a png is, is a gif file in a non copyrighted format. Pretty much. I prefer using Jpeg anyways.

Quote tags are for women!