PDA

View Full Version : remember when the pokeballs used to grow?

houndoom5
12th February 2003, 12:50 PM
I remember in the indigo season of pokemon pokeballs (when you pull them out) would be small then the trainer would push a button and it would be bigger... but then they just stoped showing this alltogether...why?

BenRG
12th February 2003, 01:42 PM
Actually, they haven't stopped showing this. I remember seeing Ash's six Pokéballs in their intermediate 'transport' size on his belt in the third movie. The infamous publicity poster for Advance Generation shows Haruka holding a minimised standard-type Pokéball, obviously ready to maximise and throw it.

They just don't bother show every little bit of action in the animé, I suppose. I guess that they need to cut some unneccessary sequences out to fit the show into its 25-minute slot. :)

Hanada Tattsu
12th February 2003, 10:28 PM
Well, in the early season, they wanted to show fans how the Pokeballs and stuff worked, so they would have Ash, Misty, etc. actually enlarge their Pokeballs.

Now, after 6 seasons, I don't think the producers and animators think that we need to see everything being done close up.

ILikePokemonP
13th February 2003, 04:31 AM
Does anyone think it's strange that one of the only times there was a trainer using a green pokeball (great or ultra I forget :confused: ) was right in the first episode? Maybe great and ultra balls are too expensive :D

BenRG
13th February 2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by ILikePokemon:P
Does anyone think it's strange that one of the only times there was a trainer using a green pokeball (great or ultra I forget :confused: ) was right in the first episode?I think that this is another case where the producers and animators have either forgotten or can't be bothered to maintain continuity. The various types of Pokéball have different colour schemes. However, you rarely see the characters use them. The only exception to that rule I can remember is Totodile's Lure Ball. We always see that ball's unique colour scheme.

Ash's Tauros were all caught in Safari Balls, which are leaf green and white with a black 'S' over the recall lens/button. Yet, when Tauros joined Ash for the Orange League Challenge, it arrived in a standard red-and-white Pokéball. Similarly, Brock caught his Pineco in a Fast Ball, which is red and white with two yellow thunderbolts running along the sides. Yet, when we later see Brock use Pineco, he is in a standard Pokéball. Ash must have caught Snorlax with a Great- or Ultra-Ball, given the difficulty that he was having catching the big bear. However, it was painted as a standard Pokéball.

***SPOILER ALERT!***

~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~

In Houen, Ash captures a Tailow with his Fast Ball. Again, when he uses Tailow in battle, it is in a standard-type Pokéball.

~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~

***SPOILER ENDS!***

The only conclusion that I can reach is that the Powers That Be have no real interest in long-term continuity. They aren't going to push themselves beyond the very minimum effort they require to keep the animé going. :(

SygmaXE
13th February 2003, 02:16 PM
I never realised that beefore! Thank you! :)

But then again, when Satoshi catches a Totodile in the Lure Ball, every time he sends Totodile out, it's still a Lure Ball.

Hanada Tattsu
13th February 2003, 06:09 PM
Well, as for Tauros, in the "Showdown at the Poke-Coral" episode, all of Tauros' Pokeballs are green and white.

And I too have seen Totodile and even Pineco being released in their Lure Ball/Heavy Balls on a few conditions. Yet, for the most part, they are in their traditional Pokeballs.

BTW, Misty gets Corsola in a Lure Ball, and I've never seen it in its Lure Ball, also.

Lopoke
13th February 2003, 06:56 PM
One thing they stopped showing very early is the "recall phase". In the very first episodes, when a trainer recalled his/her pokémon, the ball itself opened to let the "red light" in. Now we just see a red light beam and the pokémon desappearing.

About non-standard pokéballs: don't forget Park Balls and Lake Balls used in "The bug stops here" and "Hook, line and stinker" episodes.

ForeverXero
13th February 2003, 07:00 PM
I remember seeing Whitney throw a Friend Ball in a commercial of Poke'mon: Johto League Champions (The same commercial, they called it a Stun Ball.) What episode was that?

Hanada Tattsu
13th February 2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by ForeverXero
I remember seeing Whitney throw a Friend Ball in a commercial of Poke'mon: Johto League Champions (The same commercial, they called it a Stun Ball.) What episode was that?

Oh yeah, the infamous Pokeball mistake? I remember that.

That commerical clip was from the two Whitney Gym Battle episodes, specifically "A Goldenrod Oppurtunity" and "A Dairy Tale Ending". I think the Friend Ball contained Clefairy, but I may be wrong.

JazzJazz
13th February 2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu
And I too have seen Totodile and even Pineco being released in their Lure Ball/Heavy Balls on a few conditions.

You mean pineco's fast ball...

AKA Pokemon Fan
14th February 2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by BenRG Ash must have caught Snorlax with a Great- or Ultra-Ball, given the difficulty that he was having catching the big bear. However, it was painted as a standard Pokéball.
I doubt this as Great and Ultra Balls have never been seen or mentioned in the anime AFAIK. It is possible to catch a Snorlax in the game with a normal Pokeball, and given Snorlax was both falling asleep and being hit with a Thunder Attack before Ash threw it I think its reasonable that the normal ball worked.

***SPOILER ALERT!***

~*~*~*~

In Houen, Ash captures a Tailow with his Fast Ball. Again, when he uses Tailow in battle, it is in a standard-type Pokéball.[/quote]
Is it really confirmed that he used the Fast Ball? People were predicting he would since Taillow becomes one of the fastest Pokemon in the game, but I haven't seen anyone say if they actually saw it.

Interestingly, its been said that the beach ball the Pokemon play with in the episode where Cyndaquil. Chicorita, Totodile and Meowth get trapped in a cave, is patterned after a Master Ball. Probably just a little in joke by the animators like showing a statue of Teddiursa in that "Ancient City of Pokemopolis" episode back in KANTO.:yes:

Pokemon Neo
14th February 2003, 01:45 AM
Yeah,it's been awhile since I've seen a pokeball "grow".I like the sound effect it makes when it grows to normal size.Come to think of it,I think the Anime should win some type of award for sound because a lot of the sound effects they came up with in the series were very innovative.The "red beam" sound,the "pokemon release" sound,the sound where the pokemon struggles inside the pokeball,the sound where the pokeball confirms a pokemon has been caught,etc.They were all quite original.

Originally posted by AKA Pokemon Fan

Interestingly, its been said that the beach ball the Pokemon play with in the episode where Cyndaquil. Chicorita, Totodile and Meowth get trapped in a cave, is patterned after a Master Ball. Probably just a little in joke by the animators like showing a statue of Teddiursa in that "Ancient City of Pokemopolis" episode back in KANTO.:yes:

Ha! Good observation! But that's not the only one.:D In the episode where Ash and Co. meet up with Oak at the Ruins of Alph,they enter a laboratory where there was an artifact that was a small staue of Nendooru! It's cool when stuff like that happens.

AKA Pokemon Fan
14th February 2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Pokemon Neo
Ha! Good observation! But that's not the only one.:D In the episode where Ash and Co. meet up with Oak at the Ruins of Alph,they enter a laboratory where there was an artifact that was a small staue of Nendooru! It's cool when stuff like that happens.
Wow! I hadn't noticed that one. I'll have to look for it on my recordings some time. That episode aired in Japan such a long while ago and its been quite some time since it was dubbed so I wonder how many others noticed it. I'd certainly never heard it spoken of, but then not many talk about the Teddiursa statue either.

The Rusted One
15th February 2003, 01:35 AM
Someone before mentioned that in the first episode, a green pokéball was thrown - that was the one that released Onix, wasn't it? Well, anyway, did anyone notice that Onix's trainer was the infamous Bruno of the Elite Four? A bit off topic, but as everyone is talking inconsistencies, I thought I'd mention a little detail that could be counted as more of a consistency than not.

This also shows that the Elite Four are battled, even though I was a bit skeptical as the Indigo competion seemed to end too quickly for the Elite Four to be included.

Lopoke
15th February 2003, 03:47 AM
Hmmm... I recall the trainer in the first ep. being hidden in shadow. However, it is true that at the beginning of "To master the onixpected" there's a battle on the TV with Bruno.

BenRG
15th February 2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by The Rusted One
This also shows that the Elite Four are battled, even though I was a bit skeptical as the Indigo competion seemed to end too quickly for the Elite Four to be included. I don't think that the Elite Four challenge is the same competition as the Kanto League. The League seems to be an all-comers competition, while, as I understand it, only certain Trainers can challenge the Elite Four.

AKA Pokemon Fan
15th February 2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Lopoke
Hmmm... I recall the trainer in the first ep. being hidden in shadow. However, it is true that at the beginning of "To master the onixpected" there's a battle on the TV with Bruno.
Given the opponent is using a very strong Gengar I've always assumed that the trainer battling Bruno was Agatha. It was probably some special publicity match, "Elite Four member vs. Elite Four Member."

And as far as I can see the Elite Four and whatever other Elite trainers there are out there trainer at a level beyond any of the trainers in the stadium leagues Ash has participated in, and don't compete in those leagues, it simply wouldn't be fair to the other trainers. From what has been shown, the Elite Four, like Mewtwo, are much stronger in the anime than in the game. Their strength is viewed as almost "god-like" by the rest of the world, which is shown again in the episode that aired today where Lance was referred to as "invincible."

The Rusted One
15th February 2003, 09:15 PM
Hmmm, yeah...but I recall Bruno saying to Ash, or vice-versa, that he looks forward to battling him in the Pokémon League; that is, of course, from memory, so it may be inaccurate.

Also, why is it that Lorelei was called Prima in the animé? It isn't as though they didn't know she was from the Elite Four - Misty says in a later episode that Prima of the Elite Four said such-and-such - so what reason was there for the name change?

Pokemon Neo
16th February 2003, 12:03 AM

Also, why is it that Lorelei was called Prima in the animé? It isn't as though they didn't know she was from the Elite Four - Misty says in a later episode that Prima of the Elite Four said such-and-such - so what reason was there for the name change?

Yeah,I've always wondered that myself.The name change did seem unnecessary.But did someone actually say she was a member of the Elite Four?I haven't seen that episode in ages.

If no one actually said she was part of the Elite Four,I've always believed Prima was a pseudonym that Lorelei used to protect herself.Think about it,if you walk around town with everybody knowing your one of the Elite Four,you'd be hassled by trainers everyday.You can see why Elite Four members might be strongly urged to make an alias for themselves.That is,if they plan to live/visit in a populated area.Bruno looks like he spends most of his time in the wilderness so he may not need one.Lance himself doesn't look like a people person either.

But eh,it's probably going to end up as another unnecessary name change.-_-;

Thy
16th February 2003, 08:20 AM
I never remember seeing a Pokeball open when a Pokemon is recalled. The only time I've seen it happen was is an intro or something. I think it was in Season 1. :confused:

What Elite 4 members haven't we seen.

Brono and the Onix
Agatha and the HootHoot
Lance and Lage Rage
Lorelei-?
Koga at his gym
Karen-?

2 never seen and probably never will. :no: Those 2 were my favorite. :(

Hanada Tattsu
16th February 2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by *Thyzisen*
I never remember seeing a Pokeball open when a Pokemon is recalled. The only time I've seen it happen was is an intro or something. I think it was in Season 1. :confused:

What Elite 4 members haven't we seen.

Brono and the Onix
Agatha and the HootHoot
Lance and Lage Rage
Lorelei-?
Koga at his gym
Karen-?

2 never seen and probably never will. :no: Those 2 were my favorite. :(

First of all, you missed Will from the Jouto Elite 4.

Secondly, I hate it when people say that the old woman from the early Kanto episode "The Ghost of Maiden's Peak" and the early Jouto episode "Illusion Confusion" is Agatha. It's not her. Trust me.

And we already have seen Lorelei, except her name was changed to Prima.

Anyway, we haven't seen Karen and Will.

The Rusted One
16th February 2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Pokemon Neo
Yeah,I've always wondered that myself.The name change did seem unnecessary.But did someone actually say she was a member of the Elite Four?I haven't seen that episode in ages.

If no one actually said she was part of the Elite Four,I've always believed Prima was a pseudonym that Lorelei used to protect herself.Think about it,if you walk around town with everybody knowing your one of the Elite Four,you'd be hassled by trainers everyday.You can see why Elite Four members might be strongly urged to make an alias for themselves.That is,if they plan to live/visit in a populated area.Bruno looks like he spends most of his time in the wilderness so he may not need one.Lance himself doesn't look like a people person either.

But eh,it's probably going to end up as another unnecessary name change.-_-;

Yeah, good point, and I did think along those lines for a while, but I can definitely remember Misty saying "Prima of the Elite Four..." - if only I could remember which episode and what she finished saying...it was the usual rubbish about trusting your pokémon, etc., that we've heard so many times that it hurts. No, really, I hear it and convulse with pain. Truly.

ILikePokemonP
17th February 2003, 12:34 AM

...if only I could remember which episodeIts called: "The Mandarin Island Miss Match" (orange islands). She doesn't say anything about the elite four in the first few minutes when they meet here but she might have said it later on. I'll check later :yes:

The Rusted One
17th February 2003, 12:41 AM
Oh yeah, I know which episode Prima/Lorelei is in, but I can't remember which episode Misty later says "Prima of the Elite Four says..."...I can definitely say she said that at some point, because I thought at the time, "oh, so she's Lorelei with a name change...why change the name?" And since then, it's stuck in my head. Weird thing is, if you play the Pokémon board game, and you see her trainer card, she's called "Lorelei", not "Prima". So she has the correct name there...

ILikePokemonP
17th February 2003, 12:48 AM
Maybe its just another dubbing mistake and they can't change it so everyone get's confused :rolleyes:

Can you remember anything that happens in that episode? Just one little thing then we can work out the name :yes:

The Rusted One
17th February 2003, 02:54 AM
It would have been an Orange Islands episode, I'm sure...and it contains Misty talking to someone (not Ash) about what Prima of the Elite Four had told them about respecting pokémon, blah blah blah. So really, it could be ANY episode after the original one...yeah. I'm pretty sure it isn't before "Charizard Chills", and I don't think it would be after "The Stun Spore Detour"...so it's anywhere within those six episodes...I'm pretty sure, anyway. It may, however, be in "Enter the Dragonite"...I really cannot remember anything about the episode itself, except perhaps it is in one of the episodes where Ash is in an important battle...so in short, no clue at all. It's one of those "trainer-pokémon bond" things, though, so that may help.

ILikePokemonP
17th February 2003, 05:56 AM

...sure, anyway. It may, however, be in "Enter the Dragonite"...I really cannot remember anything about the episode itself...Seems the most likely to me, I'll have to check some time.

*Remembers he said he'd do another episode guide 2 weeks ago*

*Tries to look busy while sleeping*

Chris 2.1
17th February 2003, 08:58 AM
the episode where Misty refers to Prima is in the Johto Journeys, as i saw it last week in the morning. I think it was 'Grin to win'. Does anybody watch Pokemon on sky1 in the mornings as well? Do they remember it?

Hanada Tattsu
17th February 2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by ShinyMarill
the episode where Misty refers to Prima is in the Johto Journeys, as i saw it last week in the morning. I think it was 'Grin to win'. Does anybody watch Pokemon on sky1 in the mornings as well? Do they remember it?

I don't watch or have Sky 1, as I live in Los Angeles, in the USA, but I have that eppie with the Sunflora on tape, and I remember
Misty saying that "Prima of the Elite 4 says to trust your Pokemon..." and all that junk. She might have reffered to it another time before in the Orange Islands, but I don't know of it.

AKA Pokemon Fan
17th February 2003, 01:25 PM
It would have been an Orange Islands episode, I'm sure...and it contains Misty talking to someone (not Ash) about what Prima of the Elite Four had told them about respecting pokémon, blah blah blah. So really, it could be ANY episode after the original one...yeah. I'm pretty sure it isn't before "Charizard Chills", and I don't think it would be after "The Stun Spore Detour"...so it's anywhere within those six episodes...I'm pretty sure, anyway. It may, however, be in "Enter the Dragonite"...I really cannot remember anything about the episode itself, except perhaps it is in one of the episodes where Ash is in an important battle...so in short, no clue at all. It's one of those "trainer-pokémon bond" things, though, so that may help.
Do not fear! For the Great Quote Rememberer is here!

I am quite certain that quote about Prima comes from "Wired for Battle." The trainers are impressed with Ash and Heracross's prowess as they watch the battle and Misty comments that Prima of the Elite Four told them (something along these lines) that true trainers share their hearts with their Pokemon.

As for the episode, I don't know why they changed Lorelai's name or made it appear as though she wasn't an Elite 4 member. It wasn't like that in the original AFAIK. In the dub the closest they come to saying she's an Elite 4 member (besides calling her one of the strongest, most legendary trainers on the planet) is in Team Rocket's motto where James refers to her as "Miss Elite." :)

As for those new GSC Elite 4 members, they have enver been mentioned and thus likely don't exist in the anime. After all, you'd think that when Aya came back for an episode she would have mentioned at some point that her big brother had become an Elite Four member.:yes: