PDA

View Full Version : Swampert, mixed sweeper or not?

Tenco
28th August 2004, 11:35 PM
OK, is swampert used better as a physical sweeper w/ a moveset like..

@chesto
Rest
Earthquake
BrickBreak
Curse

or a mixed sweeper

@?
IceBeam
Surf
E-quake
BrickBreak

Uses, and pros and cons would be nice, thanks, im trying to decide which one to use on my team, and ill base the rest of my team off what he is.

gomez
29th August 2004, 11:42 AM
Use whatever floats your boat; both sets look fine. The mixed set does inflict better damage to a variety of pokes while the physical sweeper just deals out good damage to some. Either way you go, it would be better to start off with a team and go from there. If you end up needing a special/physical user, go with that set. If you need a strong, physical attacker, use the Curse set.

Rabid_Cow
29th August 2004, 02:24 PM
It really doesn't matter too much IMO. I've seen both used effectively, and I've also seen both countered. Physi is ruined by Aeros and Skarms, while the Mixed doesn't get stopped too easily. The only thing that causes a problem with the mixed is the EV distribution. You pretty much have to go 152 Atk/Sp. Atk. and 6 HP.

The Physi also does more damage IMO against most pokes besides physical attack absorbers.

Just my 2 cents.

phaedrus
29th August 2004, 04:52 PM
I use a mix. Surf-IceBeam-Earthquake-Roar/Rest. That's what I use, and it works.

@Rabid: It's 129/129, not 152.

rinku
29th August 2004, 06:55 PM
I think rabid meant 252/252... otherwise he's 200 ev short.

The (slight) alternative to a true mixed sweeper is a physical or special sweeper with a STAB backup in the other category. Even from a Modest Swampert with no Attack EVs, that Earthquake is going to hurt if supereffective. (For the record, the range at L100 is 202-230 Attack in the previous example). Soaking off on Speed is probably the best option for a mixed sweeper Swampert though, since it only has a modest Speed to start with - Quiet or Brave would both be good personalities, with the moveset tailored to the one you get.

andyizcool
29th August 2004, 07:34 PM
Surf, Ice Beam, and Earthquake all on the same Moveset is a bit of a bad idea as they cover nearly all the same Pokemon Types. Maybe Ice Beam, Earthquake, Rest, and Roar could be your Mixed Swampert Moveset. That way you have in some good Pokemon Type coverage, a way of restoring your health, and a way of Phazing other Pokemon. I would only use a Chesto Berry on a Moveset like this too.

PKMN Master
29th August 2004, 08:08 PM
It can do a good semitank too... I remember I once tried something like Curse/Equake/Roar/Mirror Coat... it's quite limited, but could take out potential hazards; with enough HP and Spcl Def it can survive unstabbed HP grass pretty well, I dunno about something like stabbed Leaf Blade. But besides that, I think it can return heavy damage to spcl pogeys...

The mixed sweeper works well, it's a bit risky, since it'll be low on every other stat...

Tenco
29th August 2004, 10:28 PM
Thanks, think im going with the mixed.
What should the moveset be?

Surf-
IceBeam-
Earthquake-
Rest/Roar/brickbreak-for darks

??

Number1ChanseyFan
29th August 2004, 10:48 PM
Your moveset is pretty good for a mixed sweeper. I think that Rest would work best as the last move, although Roar would work if your team needs a pseudohazer.

rinku
30th August 2004, 01:44 AM
It doesn't need a Fighting move for Dark types. Most Darks are fragile anyway - it should be able to deal with them with the attacks it has. For the record they are:

Mightyena (Surf or EQ)
Shiftry (Ice Beam*)
Sableye (Surf or EQ)
Sharpedo (EQ)
Cacturne (Ice Beam*)
Crawdaunt (EQ)
Absol (Surf or EQ)
Umbreon (EQ)
Murkrow (Ice Beam*)
Sneasel (EQ*)
Houndoom (EQ*)
Tyranitar (EQ*)

(Those marked with * are supereffective)

Really the only one that you would not expect to quickly deal with with either a SE or a strong STAB attack is Umbreon, and Umbreon isn't a major threat to Swampert (unless it has HP Grass).

HienkyakuX
30th August 2004, 08:37 AM
[QUOTE="rinku"]
Sneasel (EQ*)
QUOTE]

Sneasel is ice type EQ is a normal to him.

Rudoku
30th August 2004, 10:42 AM
I think he means that Sneasel's defenses are low enough to be one-shotted by a STAB'ed Earthquake.

Rabid_Cow
30th August 2004, 03:59 PM
I think rabid meant 252/252... otherwise he's 200 ev short.

My bad. Yep, I meant 252.

rinku
30th August 2004, 06:08 PM
[QUOTE="rinku"]
Sneasel (EQ*)
QUOTE]

My bad. I'm always getting that wrong. Nonetheless EQ is the attack you'd use since both Surf & Ice Beam are not very effective and it has a low Defense. My main point stands.

Poryhedron
31st August 2004, 01:46 PM
My bad. I'm always getting that wrong. Nonetheless EQ is the attack you'd use since both Surf & Ice Beam are not very effective and it has a low Defense. My main point stands.
*cough*waterdealsstandarddamagetoice*cough* Not that I'm disagreeing with the use of Earthquake, mind you.

rinku
31st August 2004, 06:26 PM
I'm not doing very well with my type matching today am I? ;)