PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Video Game Facts

.hacker
29th August 2004, 09:11 PM
If you know of any interesting trivia relating to video games, post here.

Trivia question: Did you know that Ms. Pac-Man started out as an illegal modified Pac-Man arcade game, in which college students were responsible for. In fact, Atari sued them for infringement and actually paid the students to make more of these Ms. Pac-Man games!

abunaidesu
29th August 2004, 09:19 PM
wow thats so amazing, i didnt know that :scared:

classy_cat18
29th August 2004, 09:28 PM
Lemme take a crack at this.

The people of Square named Final Fantasy so because if it didn't sell it would be their final game.

RedStarWarrior
30th August 2004, 01:17 AM
*moving to VG...where it belongs*

Craig
30th August 2004, 02:44 AM
Super Mario Brothers 2 in America for the NES was really a game called Doki Doki Panic which was altered to have a Mario Bros motif. This is why it's so different from the other Mario games. The reason it's different is because the REAL Super Mario Bros 2, which was released in Japan, was considered to be too difficult for the US markets. It is available for play as the "Lost Levels" on Super Mario All-Stars for SNES now.

Razola
30th August 2004, 03:03 AM
Mario has a mustache because it was easier to do than a face back when making Donkey Kong.

Mario was originally a Carpenter. He would take up plumbing in Mario Bros. (NOT Super Mario Bros.). He was also an anti-hero (Donkey Kong kidnapped his girl because Mario mistreated him).

Luigi was created in 1983 because Mario Bros. was two-player and they needed a another character.

Sonic was originally going to be a rabbit so his ears could fly behind him, giving the illusion of speed. But later he was changed to a hedgehog.

Until Final Fantasy X-2, the main FF series only shared three things: Moogles, Chocobos, and each game had a character named Cid (though the characters were only related in name). X-2 is the first sequel to any of the main FF games. Originally it was thought that FF7 would have this honor when Advent children was annouced (but wasn't revealed as a movie).

Wasted Slots: both the SNES and N64 have slots underneath. The SNES was for the ill-fated SNES-CD, whie the N64 had a slot for a Disk Drive, which did poorly in Japan. The Gamecube has two slots underneath, both which have uses (Modem and Game Boy Player).

Conker was originally a child-oriented character like Banjo or Mario. Check out both Diddy King Racing on N64 and Conker's Quest on GBC. It was the constant complaining about over-cuteness and parallels to Banjo-Kazooie that made Rare constantly delayed the game until it finally become the M rated classic it is today.

Speaking of Rare, they have, ironically, made more games for Nintendo than for Microsoft. Both Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge, and Sabrewulf were on GBA, whereas the X-Box only got Grabbed by the Ghoulies.

Gengachu
30th August 2004, 04:38 PM
Mario was named after Nintendo of America's landlord.

The makers of King Kong sued Nintendo over Donkey Kong, and lost.

Atari sued Nintendo over Donkey Kong and lost.

During the NES days, Konami also released games as Ultra and Acclaim also released games as LJN.

Atari made their own NES cartridges and games under the Name Tengen. Nintendo sued and won.

Metal Gear had a password with the "F word" in it.

.hacker
30th August 2004, 05:38 PM
Here's an unusual fact.

During the days of the SNES, Nintendo contacted Sony about making a cd add-on for the SNES. The two companies agreed on the project. However, after some intitial plans, Nintendo dropped Sony from the project. What was the name of this cd add-on? The Playstation. Sony then decided to take its Playstation design and to make their own game system, which kept the original name.

Gengachu
30th August 2004, 07:40 PM
Yes, and then Nintendo hired Phillips to make the unsucessful CD-I.

There was also an add on called the BS-Sattelaview which you could download games on. There were only a few games on it though. A remake of Zelda, F-Zero 2, and Radical Dreamers, which is a book game that was considered a "sequel" to Chrono Trigger, but Chrono Cross replaced it. I think they're may have been a few others, too, but I don't remember their names.

Adz44
31st August 2004, 01:40 PM
Rare, who made games such as Goldenye and Banjo-Kazooie for the N64, started off as Ultimate: Play The Game. Atic-Atac and Jet-Pac were two of the classics they made for the ZX Spectrum (played both. Nice little games) . Not sure if their old games are known outside the UK. I'm guessing they aren't.

Oh yeah, and Nintendo started off making cards in the 19th century, but I'm sure everyone knows that by now...lol

Razola
31st August 2004, 03:19 PM
Developers got no respect during the early 80s. Credits for games were not allowed to appear in the game or on the box due to fears of talent being bought by the competition. So some developers would sneak in their names when working on games. Starting with "Adventure", these were the first easter eggs in games.

Heald
31st August 2004, 07:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/HealdPK/ohshitno.jpg

I know Raz will get this, but if any of you don't, then shame on you all.

Sarcastic Assassin
31st August 2004, 07:40 PM
Until Final Fantasy X-2, the main FF series only shared three things: Moogles, Chocobos, and each game had a character named Cid (though the characters were only related in name). X-2 is the first sequel to any of the main FF games. Originally it was thought that FF7 would have this honor when Advent children was annouced (but wasn't revealed as a movie).

FFX-2 was also a piece of garbage.

Whatever happened to the add-on to Pokemon Crystal, released only in Japan, that let you play other people through your cell phone?

There was an add-on for the Sega Genesis (called Sega Channel) that let you download games to your Sega through a special TV channel. As I understand it, it worked in a similar fashion to Infinium's Phantom (http://www.phantom.net). There was another add-on for Genesis (I think it was called ModemX... I don't remember its exact name) that let you play games over your phone line. It never became popular.

There was a Linux development kit (http://www.us.playstation.com/peripherals.aspx?id=SCPH-97047) released for PS2 that recently stopped selling in North America.

Some movie theaters (http://hjnews.townnews.com/articles/2004/08/16/news/news02.txt) are giving you the ability to play Halo on the big screen.

Gengachu
31st August 2004, 09:26 PM
Rare, who made games such as Goldenye and Banjo-Kazooie for the N64, started off as Ultimate: Play The Game. Atic-Atac and Jet-Pac were two of the classics they made for the ZX Spectrum (played both. Nice little games) . Not sure if their old games are known outside the UK. I'm guessing they aren't.

Oh yeah, and Nintendo started off making cards in the 19th century, but I'm sure everyone knows that by now...lol

Jetpac was in Donkey Kong 64, and it is fun. I didn't know what it originated on, though, and I've only heard of Atic-Atac.

Pokemaster Ash
2nd September 2004, 12:23 AM
The ever popular Mega Man series almost never made it off the ground. After creating the original Rockman game, creator Keiji Inafune and his staff knew they had something great on their hands. However Capcom almost wouldn't listen to their idea for Rockman 2. After some persuading, they were allowed to make the game as long as they finished the one they were assigned on time (a baseball game).

Rockman/Mega Man X5 was actually supposed to be the end of the X series, but Capcom went behind Keiji Inafune's back (more or less) and make X6 while Inafune made Rockman/Mega Man Zero. The two groups have come to a compromise as of late, using Rockman/Mega Man X8 and Rockman/Mega Man Zero 3 to close some of the plotholes left behind by this move.

Our beloved crimson Hunter, Zero, was originally not supposed to be revived after X1 (or X5, for that matter, but nevermind). He was originally supposed to just die, allowing X to have the drive to defeat Sigma he needed. However many Rockman fans, and Keiji Inafune himself, didn't like this idea and Zero was revived. (Keiji Inafune has remarked in recent interviews that Zero is one of his favorite characters too)

Wily has a pet bird named Reggae. He only appears in one or two games (most notably for Mega Man fans in Mega Man 7 when you get a password wrong). Unknown where he is in...pretty much every game aside from those.

All I can think of right now. I know a lot of Rockman/Mega Man stuff.

Strider
7th September 2004, 09:17 PM
Supposedly, Zero at first was going to be Mega Man X's protagonist as the redesigned Mega Man, but it was thought to be too different. Consequently, he was made into the secondary character, with the X we all know then being created and used as the main hero.

Of all the Dragonball games for the Famicom that were released in Japan, the very first one did make it state side for the NES as "Dragon Power". Needless to say, it was pretty much butchered. Goku was made into an actual monkey, censoring ran rampant, and since Dragonball was not too well known in the U.S.at the time, many artistic liberties were taken on the developer's part.

All I can think up of at the moment.

Adz44
8th September 2004, 03:47 PM
Sega is short for Service Games. It was one of their original names before they entered the gaming market (their first was 'Service' something...lol). Originally, it was an American company and they made amusement machines for the men out on duty in the Navy. In the late 70's/early 80's, a Japanese man took over and it wasn't long before Sega ventured into making consoles and games.

Sorry if my information is a bit patchy. That's all I can remember about that at the moment.

Metallix
8th September 2004, 10:34 PM
Dr. Eggman/Robotnik was originally designed to be a mascot for Sega before the designers came up with Sonic.

The Japanese version of the original Sonic the Hedgehog contains several graphic effects not found in the original. The level select is also in the correct order. (And another later version fixed the double-spike-death glitch)

Zangief from Street Fighter is believed to be gay.

Pac-Man was originally called "Puck-Man", but was changed when someone pointed out that vandals could scrape away at the P on the cabinet.

Mitsurugi from the Soul Edge/Calibur series is replaced by a character called Arthur in some countries where samurai weapons/imagery are illegal.

One of the Scottish teams in FIFA 96 and 97 had a player who had been retired for 18 years!

Donkey Kong was originally a Popeye game, but was changed Nintendo ran into problems with the license. (Think about it tho, Donkey Kong, Mario and the Hammer are substitutes for Bluto, Popeye and Spinach)

Dan Hibiki from the Street Fighter Alpha series is a parody on the Art of Fighting characters Ryo and Robert.

The original release of the Getaway featured a mission where you had to murder a BT employee and steal his van. BT naturally complained about this and all reference to the company was edited out of the game. (Even the phoneboxes were edited to remove the logo)

Somewhere in Grand Theft Auto 3, there's a statue with a traffic cone on it's head. This is possibly a reference to the strange Glasgow tradition of putting traffic cones on the heads of statues. (Especially the Duke of Wellington statue outside the Modern Art Museum)

The character of Cool J in Shenmue 2 was changed to Cool Z for the Western version.

Originally, Ren from Shenmue 2 was named Ryu, but was changed after it was decided that Ryu was too common.

PNT510
9th September 2004, 12:19 AM
Metallix i have a little further explination on Pac-Man being called Puck Man first. They're weren't so much afraid that someone would take off the P as they were they someone would take off part of the P so it would look like F uck-Man

Gengachu
9th September 2004, 08:25 PM
Nintendo actually did release a Popeye arcade game, which is somewhat similar to Donkey Kong, but not exactly. I haven't played it in at least 10 years, though. I have a rom of the NES version on my computer.

Metallix
11th September 2004, 06:48 PM
PNT: Thats what I said. XD

And yeah, I know the Popeye game you mean, I believe it was released at least a year after Donkey Kong.

PNT510
11th September 2004, 09:59 PM
PNT: Thats what I said. XD

And yeah, I know the Popeye game you mean, I believe it was released at least a year after Donkey Kong.
You just mentioned they could scrap off P, not why it was bad.

Metallix
12th September 2004, 07:13 PM
You just mentioned they could scrap off P, not why it was bad.

Well, it would have been a bit obvious wouldn't it? ^_^;;

Gengachu
12th September 2004, 10:04 PM
I thought it was pretty obvious, too.

PNT510
12th September 2004, 11:19 PM
My brother who was reading over my shoulder at the time said "What's wrong with scraping off the P, then it says 'uck-man'" So I thought I would add some clarifaction

Adz44
14th September 2004, 12:34 PM
The character Noob Saibot, who first appeared in Mortal Kombat II, is made up of the surnames of two men who worked on MK. They were just reversed ('Noob' - Ed Boon and 'Saibot' - John Tobias).

Blackjack Gabbiani
20th September 2004, 01:54 AM

FF7 is going to have two more games off it--Before Crisis (about the Turks), and...um...geez, they just announced it, it's going to center around Vincent.

Speaking of FF--in FFIX, there's a reference to one of the characters from VI. When you're walking around the main continent, check the name of the field near the first Chocobo Forest. It's called King Ed Plains, after King Edgar of Figaro.

EDIT--the Vincent game is called Dirge of Cerebus.

Razola
20th September 2004, 02:03 AM
Whatever happened to the add-on to Pokemon Crystal, released only in Japan, that let you play other people through your cell phone?
Cell phones are isanely popular in Japan, and back in 2000/2001 not nearly as popular in the US. Rather than delay it, NoA decided to just drop the feature.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
20th September 2004, 05:08 AM
Yes, and then Nintendo hired Phillips to make the unsucessful CD-I.

That's not correct, Nintendo didn't hire Philips to make the CD-I. Here's what happened:

In early 1991 Nintendo planned to add a CD-ROM drive to its SNES console. Nintendo worked out a contract with Philips to provide this CD drive. Philips was at the same time developing their CD-I format. As part of the deal Nintendo granted Philips the right to use some of its own brand characters in Philips games (ending in 3 mediocre Zelda and 1 Mario game).

When Nintendo planned to announce the new CD-ROM drive on the ’91 C.E.S. Sony approached Nintendo, reminding them of a still valid contract from 1988. Thus the deal between Nintendo and Philips fell through and Nintendo and Sony presented the Playstation CD extension. This Playstation had nothing to do with Sony’s own gaming console being released a few years later, except its name. PSX stands for PlayStation Extended, being its original development title.

Nintendo had a problem with part of the contract with Sony though as Sony had all rights on the games for the Playstation drive. Thus Nintendo again agreed on a contract with Philips. But there was no escaping from the contract with Sony either, as they were the ones providing Nintendo with the sound chips for their SNES console.

Nintendo wanted to keep control of the games released at all costs. Sony threatened to sue Nintendo for breaking the contract. Nintendo was able to calm down Sony though, only to flatten them with the news of having an exclusive cooperation with Philips on the ’92 C.E.S. Supposedly in order not to harm the Japanese economy Sony withheld their right to sue Nintendo, Nintendo though managed to wiggle their way out of some parts of the Sony contract and continued their work with Philips.

The cooperation didn’t last long though when Nintendo finally buried their plans for the CD extension altogether. Reason for this was partially a special graphics chips developed for the gaming cartridges which enhanced the graphical possibilities. The CD drive was in the need of further development to beat this new chip. What the final reasons for Nintendo were to cancel the project altogether though remains unknown.

Popeye

Nintendo's Popeye game was the first game to be directed by Nintendo's mastermind Shigeru Miyamoto.

Thomas33
20th September 2004, 03:44 PM
Mario was created by an italian guy who worked for nintendo, his name was mario and looked just like the character, they did this because he didn't want any money for the licence

Gengachu
20th September 2004, 07:11 PM
No, the name Mario came from Nintendo of America's landlord. Whoever told you that Mario was created by an Italian guy named Mario is wrong.

Tainted
20th September 2004, 09:19 PM
Mario was created by an italian guy who worked for nintendo, his name was mario and looked just like the character, they did this because he didn't want any money for the licence

No ****ing comment.

Adieu,
Zak Hunter

Thomas33
21st September 2004, 02:44 AM
I've read it in a gaming magazine

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
21st September 2004, 06:23 AM
I've heard both of those Mario versions before where the one with the look-a-like Mario guy is the older one I suppose, I've read that in a german gaming mag a good 10 years ago.

Adz44
21st September 2004, 03:52 PM
Donkey Kong's got his name due to Shigeru Miyamoto's slight misunderstanding with the English language. Kong came from 'King Kong', but Donkey was meant to imply that the character was crazy, silly or a bit mad. Miyamoto didn't realise it was also a name of an animal. Now, I can't guarantee this story is true, but it's what I've heard.