PDA

View Full Version : That's so fake!

mr_pikachu
30th August 2004, 03:38 PM
Okay, this poll is about Fakemon. If anyone doesn't know, a Fakemon is like a Pokemon, but it's one that the writer creates specifically for his/her fic. It may be used again by the same writer or others, but the fact is that it is not one of the Pokemon that has been released.

So, what are your opinions about the usage of Fakemon? Have you ever used one before? Have you seen a particularly good example of one? Share with us!

Personally, I don't like Fakemon all that much, unless they're done really, really well. That's not to say I haven't done some myself (I think I had two in WDAMO), but I try to stay away from them. Of course, if the writer does an absolutely superb job of permanently implanting the Fakemon's picture in my head, then I'm impressed. Sadly, I have not yet had that happen with any Fakemon by any writer. But there's still hope! :lol:

Chris 2.1
30th August 2004, 04:11 PM
Hmm I used one Fakemon. Starvous. An evolution of Staryu with a Thunderstone. I'll try and find the sprite I made....*rummage*

In Monica's Army nd Monica's Revolution, the areas had variations of Pokemon. These creatures had evolved beyond Pokeball control and were pretty much all fakemon, or Pokemon in the Pokemon World with various changes.

Guess I can't find my Starvous pic. Shame. *cough*

Goten Shy
30th August 2004, 05:11 PM
I was planning (and maybe still am) to do a Fakemon fic. I held a contest for the Pokemon to be made and it was a legandary pokemon quest but my not cause that is an over dont type of fic.

Anyway, If there are well written and have interesting characters with an original plot if would read on. But if it was a Fakemon pokemomn league fic then no way!

Would pokemon fusion (like all 3 original eevee dogs) be classed as fake and a turn off?

Blackjack Gabbiani
31st August 2004, 04:42 AM
I have a Fakemon, a parrot type called Makaw. It's big (like 4 feet tall) and can't fly very well, and mainly uses sound-based attacks in addition to things like Bite and Crunch (ever been bit by a parrot? Yeeeeeeah...)

I haven't used it in any fics, though, save for my MySTings...

Goten Shy
31st August 2004, 04:45 AM
It would also depend on the fake Pokemon itself. It it was just a preevolved form of grimer and was a small purple blob wth no creativity in it that would be bad. On the same level, if it was to creartive and unreal (yea so pokemomn is not real, but no like fire water and grass types).

mistysakura
31st August 2004, 04:53 AM
In my opinion, quality of fic with Fakemon = quality of fic without Fakemon. Except obviously it takes quite a bit of work to paint a picture of a Fakeon in words. But mainly I don't see a problem, because it's not like having Fakemon affects the plot or the characters or anything.

I think that Fakemon should be original though. Not saying that you shouldn't have evolutions/pre-evolutions of existing Pokemon, but at least there should be something new about them.

The only Fakemon that annoys me and affects my attitude about the fic is a fusion of two or more Pokemon, especially legendaries. (That's my opinion on your question, Goten.)

Goten Shy
31st August 2004, 05:09 AM
Fiar enough, its just that a did make a few fusion sprites, i dont oen of pinser and herracross, all 3 eevee dogs and 2 others but i lost them. Lol, but its still fun though to do them XD

What about Fakemon web cartoons or something? Do people still find them annoying, casue they can see the pokemon so they can imagine to story better.

PS100
31st August 2004, 11:36 AM
Personally, I don't really care. A pokemon's a pokemon, so who cares if it's fake. Now, if they just create it without a description or it's something completely stupid/unoriginal(stupid=swan evolved form of Farfetch'd, unoriginal=new Eevee evolution), then I don't like it so much. But it certainly wouldn't turn me away from the fic, if it's written well enough.

PS

dratinihaunter13
31st August 2004, 11:41 AM
Fakemon turn me off from a fic because I know they are harder to pull off, and I've seen writers here struggle with them. Of course, it is possible to make a good fakemon fic as most any writing tactic is possible if the style is good. Then I'll be interested ;).

Iveechan
31st August 2004, 06:55 PM
"Fakemon are kind of a turn-off for me, but if they're done very well, I'll stay with the fanfic."

There ya go. There's one (so far) in my fic. It seems unoriginal, a female Hitmon, but she gets a bigger role later on. If I ever write that much.

Dragonfree
2nd September 2004, 01:30 PM
I like Fakémon, but only if they're properly described. If I have no idea what it looks like, I end up picturing an existing Pokémon. If it's described carefully, good. If there's a picture, even better. I don't think they make a fic better or worse, though. When I started The Quest for the Legends, I made up a whole load of stupid fakes. In the revisions I started tweaking them and even eliminating some of the stupidest, but unfortunately I still have three of them left because they became important to the plot before I started wiping out the worst ones. Meh, now one of them has a proper story and is very well explained, so it's not stupid anymore, but the other two... *shudderes* Well, I did my best making them a tiny bit less stupid. :-/ There's no way to make them properly, though.

Orion
28th October 2004, 01:18 PM
For me, Fakemon are good. Of course, if done really lousy, they're bad, but I like to see something new that expands the Pokémon universe in some form or way. Also, it makes up for a change on the regular flow of events in Fics. I don't know, but I like when a made-up Poké pops up, as I'm expectant of what will become of it, and I like to see how will the author conduct his/her creation and make it trascend in the story.

And well, if a Fic takes part on Regions that aren't the already-known ones (Kanto, Johto, etc.) or a region that's totally lacking on Pokémon (Orre.), the made-up Pokés are a must! It's not like seeing Charizards or Magcargos in Regions filled with snow! Also, a new region should have new stuff, as in the games. Oh well, that's my opinion. They expand the story a bit, and if done well, they're great.

Dragonfree
28th October 2004, 02:27 PM
I've seen a ton of newbie fics with Mr. Joe going to Professor Tree's lab and picking Flamie the Fire-type while his girlfriend picks Floris the Grass-type and his meanie rival picks Hydrosan the Water-type, with no description on any of them at all. I end up picturing a Growlithe, a Roselia and a Starmie (don't ask why it's them, I just tend to picture them for starters that aren't described for some reason). That's just bad, at least.

Dark Sage
3rd November 2004, 02:41 PM
I've used three Fakemon so far in "Pokemonese", not counting Gestalt: Adaboombam (the fourth form of the Abra family), Voidsphere (used by a Gym leader named Quartermain), and Silverhorns (a Steel/Dark used by another Gym Leader). I only use these made-up pokemon sparringly, because if I did so too often, it would become old.

Frankly, each time one debuted, I got good reviews, so I think they went over well.

- Venusaur

ChicRocketJames
15th November 2004, 10:54 AM
A creative, well-described Fakemon can be a satisfying addition to any fic. There's also no bigger turn-off than a poorly conceived addition to the Eevee family, or a legendary Pokemon that's an obvious ripoff of the ones already populating the Pokeverse. So it just depends on how it's handled, pretty much like everything else in a fic. Personally I've used two Fakemon: one in a short story and another which has made a brief, barely-mentioned appearance in Tangled Web, and which will feature again later.

ladyumbra
17th November 2004, 06:49 PM
Fakemon need to be practicle (wellas practicle as pokemon get) and have a point. if your creatign new guys just for the hell of it theres no real reason to do so theres over 350 pokemon to work with as it is and some of them rarely get recognised . i suppose new regions require new pokemon but still there should be a limit if you have completly new pokemon with a completly new regionand gym your goign to have to sell it too me realy really well.

PancaKe
21st November 2004, 11:47 PM
I wish i had chosen the last option on the poll.

Note to self: read all options before choosing.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
26th November 2004, 03:08 PM
I'm a beginner writer and I use fakemon. I'm not going to imply allot of them, but something like starters, etc... It's a new region. A made up region, and therefore I think Fakemon are nessecary. IMO

LightNinetales
28th November 2004, 11:49 AM
Fakemon are kind of a turn-off for me, but if they're done very well, I'll stay with the fanfic.

I took that option. i have myself two Fakemon(two Eeveelutions, a sad one and a happier one). I'll put them into a fanfic, but they will be the main characters, and the fanfic will be entirely focused on their feelings, so...

Of course, if I see a fanfic with really good Fakemon, I'll appreciate the fanfic as much as I'll appreciate the same fanfic without Fakemon.

Mew Trainer Rose
2nd December 2004, 04:44 PM
The opinion that the presence of fakemon neither encourages or discourages a reader (as long as they are well done) seems to be a popular one. In any case, that's my opinion. A good description, explanation and the like is certainly a must, and I often find it interetsing to see what creative ideas for pokemon people come up with.

Dinner
12th January 2005, 12:23 AM
Lmao, I don't know whether to consider Kuraitenshi a fakemon or not. She's a Ditto in the form of an alien species. o_o Anyway, I voted that "if it's done well, I'll read it."