PDA

View Full Version : GANTZ - A very 'Raz' like anime, perhaps?!

Last Exile
2nd September 2004, 12:29 AM
Modern life - it has few values anymore. Expensive costs, anger at random people, less moral and ethical values, war and poverty everywhere, pollution wreaking its fury on the air, water and earth. Then, suddenly, in an instant - you're dead.

Or are you?!

Welcome to GANTZ. Kei and Katou, are two male high school friends. Kei is a nihilist to the point he makes Raz look completely warm and lovable, he looks down on everyone and he can't stop getting a hard-on whenever girls are around him (The first 3 minutes of the 1st episode are classic!). Katou is a coward at heart but hides it by acting tough and bullying those that threaten his friends and weaker people. When a drunk falls onto a train line, they rescue him but get killed in the process. They're dead...

Or maybe not. They wake up in Tokyo Tower with a bunch of other people that just died. A black 8-ball like machine, GANTZ, tells them that 'it' controls their lives now and that they will do its bidding. Their lives are dependent on completing missions that involve hunting and killing aliens. Very few are lucky to survive...

It's a damn bizarre series, but its full-on, in-your-face attitude, loaded with enough fights, gore and nudity to feed you for five years, is just damn insatiable. Kei is one of the most unusual heroes ever. He's a jerk, but you can't help but understand why and root for his cause. Kishimoto, the teen female suicider, acts as the big-proportioned, irresistable love interest for both guys, which is bound to cause even more conflict. And the mix of thrash guitars and hip-hop vocals in the opening theme and a mix of heavy and soft pieces in the episodes make a nice soundtrack well worth tracking down.

Now don't get me wrong, it isn't all senseless killing. There are a lot of themes about modern life that get a say in this crazy saga (mentioned a few above). And the characters do have hearts (well, some). It's the frankness of GANTZ that makes it so damn addictive.

With the impending release of the uncensored version available on DVD only, it's bound to be even better on that format. However, one imagines that this series is more tuned in for guys than girls. However, the girls I've seen that watched this anime seemed to have no problem with it. And one thing is fopr sure - it would seem crazy to think Raz couldn't possibly like a series that is so like him. (Note to Raz - get hodl of it while you still can).

Roarkiller
2nd September 2004, 06:08 AM
I hope its as good as u say. Last recommendation (Elfen Lied) u gave has a good story, but the hentai is simply... despicable. Seriously, i dont know what else to say about its extent.

Riachu64
2nd September 2004, 07:43 PM
Gantz is like the violence fest from hell... urk... so graphic. -read the manga- Ok story though... I liked it, cept for the nudity bits. =\

Razola
3rd September 2004, 03:20 AM
Sounds like Grade-A fanservice shit.

EDIT: I don't like mindless gore and T&A. I want some style, damn it. See FLCL as a prime example. And Last Exile for an aerial demonstration.

EDIT2: Nilhilists are morons.

EDIT3: I will, however, still download it if I have time. Though it's now competing with Champloo for downloading time. A fight that will be hard to win.

Little_Pikachu
3rd September 2004, 09:36 AM
I've seen the first few episodes, it's ok, if a little weird. I wasn't too taken with it though. I liked the dog :)