PDA

View Full Version : [YGO] Traps - Discussion

Yoh Asakura
4th September 2004, 06:51 AM
DTZ is kinda the reason why I made this. As we all know, Cyclone/Mystical Space Typhoon has been restricted to 1 per deck, which means Traps are going to make a comeback.

So what are the traps that are usually used? People only use 5 or 6, and they are:

Apostles of Harmony/Waboku
[Normal Trap]
Until end of turn, all damage from opponent's monsters is negated.

Destruction Ring/Ring Of Destruction
[Normal Trap]
Destroy 1 face-up Monster on the Field. Do damage to each player equal to the attack strength of that Monster.

Cry Of The Living Dead/Call Of The Haunted
[Permanent Trap]
Choose 1 monster card in your Graveyard and Special Summon it to the Field in attack mode. If this card leaves play, destroy the targeted monster. When the targeted monster is destroyed, destroy this card.

Tidal Wave/Torrential Tribute
[Normal Trap]
You may activate this card when a monster is Summoned (including Reverse Summon and Special Summon). Destroy all monsters on the Field.

With Mirror Force & Imperial Decree/Order and being the other 2. I'm sure you're thinking "So what? Everything else is crap!", which is partly true. There are a few traps that are making a comeback though, and they are mostly annoying ones at that. From what I have seen, the traps coming back are:

Magic Cylinder
[Normal Trap]
Negate the attack of 1 of your opponent's Monsters and do damage to your opponent equal to the attack strength of that Monster.

Old trap that was used a LOT even before anything was banned. Now it's back and it's more deadly then ever. Thankfully for few people who duel Japanese we have the new Trap negation monsters from the latest set, so this isn't that big of a problem.

Forced Ejection Machine/Compulsory Evacuation Device
[Normal Trap]
Return 1 Monster on the Field to its owner's hand.

I use this card a lot. It's in my Chaos Soldier Warrior deck. I dump Exe Makky with a Foolish Burial or a Painful/Distressing Choice then activate this from hand to clean the field and summon Chaos Soildier.

And surprisingly, Dark Curse/Curse Of Darkness is making a huge comeback because of Scape Goat abuse. Some people are running 3 Goats! is there a need!?

Dark Curse/Curse Of Darkness
[Permanent Trap]
When a Magic card is activated, its controller receives 1000 damage for each card activated.

That's about all I've seen come back in the Trap world, with the odd Imperial Command (Negate RV Effects) floating around. Has anybody seen anything different? If so please do mention it.

DarkTemplarZ
4th September 2004, 12:57 PM
How about all those permenant m/t's that were nothing more than Cyclone food?
(Translations from Edo's)

PH-37
CALL OF THE CORPSES
Permanent Magic
If you have no Monsters on the Field, you can Special Summon 1
Undead Sub-Type Monster from your hand. You can use this effect
only once per turn.

MA-35
SECOND CHANCE
Permanent Magic
While this card is on the Field, once during a turn, if a coin is
flipped, you can negate that flip and force it to be flipped
again.

SC-12
LIFE ABSORBER
Type: Permanent Trap
During your Standby Phase, gain Life Points equal half the amount
of Life Points you paid during your previous turn.

SC-48
DRAGON RAGE
Type: Permanent Trap
When any of your Dragon Sub-Type Monsters on your Field attacks a
monster in defense mode with a lower defense strength that the
attacking monster's attack strength, do Battle Damage to your
opponent equal to the difference.

SM-18
CURSED MASK
Type: Equipment Magic
Effect: The equipped monster cannot attack. During its
controller's Standby Phase, do 500 damage to him or her.

301-35
BLACK SNAKE SICKNESS
Permanent Magic
During your Standby Phase, do 200 damage to each player. During
the second and following Standby Phases, the damage is doubled.

LN-42
DARK CORRIDOR
Permanent Magic
Each play can only attack with 1 monster during his or her Battle
Phase.

302-028
FRONT LINE BASE
Permanent Magic
Once during your Main Phase, you can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or
lower Union Monster from your hand. You can use this effect only
once per turn.

306-040
BOUNDARY OF THE TWILIGHT ZONE
Permanent Magic
As long as you do not have a Magic card in your Cemetery, each
player does not enter the Battle Phase.

With Cyclone down to one and Feather Sweep gone, these cards could stay on the field for a long time. Imagine the possibilities; Final Countdown decks w/ Boundary of the Twilight Zone and Dark Corridor would have incredibly annoying stall power, Black Snake Sickness was always a very underrated card, in just five turns it does a total of 7800 lifepoints of damage, and with Cyclone down to one it can last that long sometimes. Dragon decks with built in trample w/ Dragon Rage, wow.

Yoh Asakura
4th September 2004, 01:08 PM
I was gonna do Magic tommorow as one really big topic but oh well lol =]

Dark-San
4th September 2004, 10:32 PM
Lolz~ It is quite funny that the much experienced YY left out Sixth Sense. You have to remember that with the restriction of Cyclone to 1, Mirage of Nightmare hav really become useless. So therefore Sixth Sense has become much of a stapled trap card.

Magic Drain? The only decent magic denial since the banning of Imperial Decree. Trust me, you will need at least one magic drain in your deck.

RDS-JP051
HEAVENLY PUNISHMENT
Counter Trap
Discard 1 card from your hand. Negate the activation and effect
of an Effect Monster, and destroy that Monster.
SUPER RARE / ULTIMATE RARE
*Thanks Edo for your translation*

This is one card you guys should really considered playing. Monsters like EX Virus, Magical Scientist, Fiber Jar etc... are doomed!

jesschow12
4th September 2004, 10:40 PM
meng: well i don know whether really want to pay heaven punishment or not ,havent tried out yet

well i also have a useful trap ,to me it is useful but dunno whats your opinion

the trap from 306 which can force everyone to change their face up monster's position,tat cause alot of damage to the goats :)

Yoh Asakura
5th September 2004, 02:54 AM
Lolz~ It is quite funny that the much experienced YY left out Sixth Sense. You have to remember that with the restriction of Cyclone to 1, Mirage of Nightmare hav really become useless. So therefore Sixth Sense has become much of a stapled trap card.

Magic Drain? The only decent magic denial since the banning of Imperial Decree. Trust me, you will need at least one magic drain in your deck.

RDS-JP051
HEAVENLY PUNISHMENT
Counter Trap
Discard 1 card from your hand. Negate the activation and effect
of an Effect Monster, and destroy that Monster.
SUPER RARE / ULTIMATE RARE
*Thanks Edo for your translation*

This is one card you guys should really considered playing. Monsters like EX Virus, Magical Scientist, Fiber Jar etc... are doomed!

I wrote this when I woke up, so I've forgotton a few others like Torture Wheel and Sacrifice-Sealing Mask. I've only mentioned what I've seen at tournies, and SS was a no show... so I guess I just forgot about it =|

As for HP, I've only used it when CED was around. As for M/t negatio nI've always perfered to use Judgement of Anubis, but that's only M/t. That & Mag Drain are the only negators arn't they? o0; apart from Eight Mag Absorbers.

Jess, do you mean Final Assault Order? It's from 30..4 I think. Lemme check ~.~

Final Assault Order
[Permanent Trap]
While this card is on the Field, all Monsters on the Field change to attack mode, and while face-up, cannot change their modes.

Dark-San
5th September 2004, 07:47 AM
Lolz~ I guess you really woke up then... Yupz CED is banned but Heavenly Punishment still possess lots of kicks. I just use the trap against Dark Magician of Chaos, Magical Scientist, Tribe Infecting Virus and also Lv 4 Swordsman in today's duels. Lucky me I guess as this trap keeps coming at the most crucial times.

Jess you should really try out Heavenly Punishment. Anyway for the trap you mention, I don't find any use in it. Sure it does do harm to decks with Scapegoat. However it wouldn't do any use against those decks without Scapegoat.

Yoh Asakura
5th September 2004, 08:13 AM
The only thing I dislike about it is the discard factor, I rearly have anything in hand that I want to discard, then again it's rare I have anything in hand at all.

Explosive Armor & Judgement of Anubis are also some other traps I've seen. You're all jealous, you just wish you had a memory like me ^_~ lol If I remember more i'll post.

Dark-San
5th September 2004, 08:45 AM
Now you're talking, you 'Walking Yu Gi Oh Card list' ! :lol: Heavenly Punishment does wonders to me. *Drops Dark Magician of Chaos and revives it with Early Burial* lolz~

Yoh Asakura
5th September 2004, 09:06 AM
I prefer dropping Chaos Soldier then bringing it back to hand with Ressy warrior then summoning it with something else ;P

I used to sideboard Heavy Punish in some of my decks just because of the Chaos Drag. Ex Vir thankfully has never hurt me too bad, and the Rv mons I usually manage to hit with an Emmy. Scientist on the other hand, that's screwed me over a few times lol I might start running 1.