PDA

View Full Version : A Moveset for a Mixed Charizard

Crazy
11th September 2004, 08:36 AM
I have a level 26 Charmeleon and I want a good moveset when it evolves. All help is appreciated. I want it to be a Physical/Special Charizard.

andyizcool
11th September 2004, 08:49 AM
Charizard may have more Special Attack than Attack but it just rules in the Physical Sweeper department. Fire Blast is stuck on the Physical Sweeper Moveset because it gets STAB and has Blaze Trait making it more powerful when it's weak. Don't forgot those Physical Tanks that'll try and stop you so you need a Special Attack in there too.

Charizard@Liechi Berry/Salac Berry
Fire Blast
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Swords Dance/Dragon Dance

Crazy
11th September 2004, 04:33 PM
Ok I now have a Charizard and I will have most of the suggested moves. Is Dragon Dance a egg move? If so I am screwed. My Charizard is a male. Though would it be ok to replace Fire Blast with Flamethrower? Oh my Charizard has a Serious nature so would another moveset be better for a "neutral" Charizard?

Rudoku
11th September 2004, 04:43 PM
There are Dittos in this game for that purpose. You may as well do that, since that Charizard is already screwed up.

Crazy
11th September 2004, 04:45 PM
Where can I find a Ditto? Plus I have been searching,but I haven't found a EV list for FR.

andyizcool
11th September 2004, 05:04 PM
Though would it be ok to replace Fire Blast with Flamethrower? Oh my Charizard has a Serious nature so would another moveset be better for a "neutral" Charizard?
Always have more powerful Special Attacks on Physical Sweepers because they only have a Special Attack as an extra really. So on the Physical Sweeper Charizard you could have Fire Blast or Overheat whatever you prefer when battling.

Trainer_Sophia
11th September 2004, 05:13 PM
There is that two-turn move, Burn Blast, or something that Charizard could learn...

andyizcool
11th September 2004, 05:24 PM
There is that two-turn move, Burn Blast, or something that Charizard could learn...
Those Elemental Beam moves from Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green are pointless because a Tank could just switch and take little damage. After that you must miss a turn leaving them to destroy or leave a big amount of damage in you. Overheat may greatly reduce your Special Attack after using it but you don't miss a turn where you could be OHKO'd by anything.

Crazy
14th September 2004, 07:44 PM
HAHAHHAHA! I have just hatched a Charmander with a Adamant Nature. It will be a physical one. OH and even with the minus in Sp.Atk Fire Blast will still do good damage right? Oh and should I put 252 EVs in Atk and Sp.Atk? If so then where could I find a EV list.

rinku
14th September 2004, 08:19 PM
Those Elemental Beam moves from Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green are pointless because a Tank could just switch and take little damage. After that you must miss a turn leaving them to destroy or leave a big amount of damage in you. Overheat may greatly reduce your Special Attack after using it but you don't miss a turn where you could be OHKO'd by anything.

andy, you DO realise that they work like Hyper Beam? I don't understand your comment about a Tank switching - you wouldn't use the move vs something that could take it. Unlike Hyper Beam there are targets that are vulnerable to it, which makes these moves very powerful in the right spot.

I reckon it's a valid option as a *backup* move. Many people will prefer Fire Blast or Overheat, but Blast Burn is much more powerful and accurate than the former and sufficiently more powerful than the latter (with different bad side effects) to make it a contender.

Edit: Just realised another reason for these moves - the starters all have a Special Ability that boosts their signature attack type when their HP is low. Just the situation when you're likely to get one last shot. Total power is going to be something like <SP.ATK> x 1.5 (STAB) x 1.5 x 150. That's enough to even dent something x2 resistant to the attack type (and forget anything which is vulnerable...).

Also... the FRLG starters tend to have limited options in Special Attack moves (apart from Wartortle who gets both Water & Ice). A Special Attacking Charizard might do well with both Flamethrower and Blast Burn.

rinku
14th September 2004, 08:28 PM
HAHAHHAHA! I have just hatched a Charmander with a Adamant Nature. It will be a physical one. OH and even with the minus in Sp.Atk Fire Blast will still do good damage right? Oh and should I put 252 EVs in Atk and Sp.Atk? If so then where could I find a EV list.

Probably a waste to put EVs in Special Attack - you'll likely get more out of Speed or defenses. If it doesn't already have Dragon Dance bred onto it, *definitely* sink the points into Speed.

Your weaknesses are to Water, Electric and Rock (x4), while resistant to Fire, Grass (x1/4), Fighting, Ground (immune), Bug (x1/4) and Steel. You might want to shore up Defense as it's probably more likely that it will be attacked by physical attacks if the target does not have Water, Electric or Rock as it nominally has a lower Defense than Special Defense.

Crazy
15th September 2004, 06:02 PM
CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME A LIST OF EVS PLEASE? I can't put that many in if I don't know what F/R pokemon give me. Oh and I took your advice Rinku. I have a lot of EVs in attack and spread the remaining among speed,hp,and defense.I have to put vitamins in but when I reach the limit of 100 I will not be able to put in anymore until I get that list.