PDA

View Full Version : Nidoran Breeding

andyizcool
13th September 2004, 12:14 PM
I'm currently breeding my Ditto with a Nidoran Female on Pokemon Sapphire because I want to try and complete my National Pokedex. The problem is when I've been hatching Eggs and I keep getting a Nidoran Male. Out of about ten Eggs I've hatched recently only one of them has been a Nidoran Female. Am I do something wrong here or is this the way the game was programmed? Thanks for any help.

Rudoku
13th September 2004, 01:13 PM
It's a magical thing called luck. I hatched a bunch of Wooper eggs and only one was female

andyizcool
13th September 2004, 01:16 PM
I just thought Nidoran Male and Nidoran Female were different Species. Odd how one is 100% Male and the other is 100% Female but when it comes to breeding it's 50-50% chance of getting either.

Poryhedron
13th September 2004, 03:25 PM
Yeah, Volbeat and Illumise work the same way. I've had Volbeat hatch out of eggs that Illumise laid. I wonder if Tauros can hatch out of Miltank eggs?

Dark Sage
13th September 2004, 03:40 PM
I don't think Tauros can hatch out of Miltank eggs, but then, I might be wrong...

If it's possible, I'd assume you'd have to mate an actual Tauros with the Miltank...

If anybody wants to try, they're welcome to...

- Venusaur

andyizcool
13th September 2004, 03:48 PM
If it's possible, I'd assume you'd have to mate an actual Tauros with the Miltank...
Maybe not if you think about it. I was breeding Nidoran Female with Ditto and getting a Nidoran Male sometimes. Some Pokemon need to be tested in breeding like the Plusle and Minun argument that was made a while ago.

Chris 2.1
13th September 2004, 03:57 PM
I doubt it. If you look at it logically, you get a Pokemon. The male looks like Volbeat, is red and etc, while the female is like Illumise. It's common for species in real life to be different genderwise for breeding purposes and stuff, so with these three species (Firefly line, Cattle and Nido things) there are just male and female variations of the general species. Just as with a female human, there is a chance a male or female could be born from her.

I guess you have to think of Volbeat and Illumise as the same species.

A query, though: Volbeat and Illumise have different bred-on moves, don't they? If the male is passing a move on, one that only Illumise can learn, does that mean you'll either can A) a normal Volbeat or b) an Illumise with ? Or does it up the odds of having an Illumise since the baby HAS to have as a move?

rinku
13th September 2004, 05:39 PM
A query, though: Volbeat and Illumise have different bred-on moves, don't they? If the male is passing a move on, one that only Illumise can learn, does that mean you'll either can A) a normal Volbeat or b) an Illumise with ? Or does it up the odds of having an Illumise since the baby HAS to have as a move?

As far as I'm aware the chance of a baby for the gender linked species remains 50/50, which is determined when the gender ID is generated; then the L5 moves would be calculated. I have to admit, I haven't tested this yet.

I just checked the message for breeding a Volbeat & Illumise (both caught by me) - the daycare man says "they don't seem to like each other", which means they are treated as different species as far as breeding rate is concerned (if they were treated as one species for this purposes the message would be "they appear to care for each other"). Of course, many people will be breeding with a traded opposite and will be getting higher breeding rates as a consequence.

I'd assume the same rule applies to the Nidorans (can't test that yet).

Dark Sage
13th September 2004, 06:56 PM
First of all, male/female is 50/50 in MOST cases. With some of the rarer pokemon (like the starters, Eevee, Lapras, and others), you only get a female 12.5% of the time, which is the same chance for getting a female when you get it normally.

Also, when you breed two species from the same game, if they are compatable, you'll likely get the message, "They don't seem to like each other." You'll get an egg, but it will take a while. Two things can make them like each other more:

If both pokemon are the same species (or species chain)

If the pokemon originally came from different games (i.e., you got one from trading).

This will make it much faster.

- Venusaur

rinku
13th September 2004, 08:32 PM
First of all, male/female is 50/50 in MOST cases.

But in the case of the two sets of gender-linked species (i.e. Volbeat/Illumise and the Nido* clan) it happens to be 50/50. That's all I was talking about.

Edit:
@andyizcool: To (finally) answer the original query - yeah, it's pure luck that you only got 1 in 10 females. Odds are only 1 in 1024 of that happening, so it's not spectacularly unlikely. You'd expect a run of that order several times before you saw a shiny, for example.

Chris 2.1
14th September 2004, 12:54 PM
Remember, Granbull are also 75% Female.

andyizcool
14th September 2004, 01:18 PM
Remember, Granbull are also 75% Female.
I'm going to have this problem breeding Male Cleffa because they're a 75% chance of being Female. I just like having all the possible Pokemon I can as Males in my Boxes on Pokemon Sapphire. I have no Moon Stones either yet so I'll have to go out looking for some Solrock to Thief off.

Mitch's Bashamo
15th September 2004, 02:40 AM
You do mean Lunatone right? Unless a Clefairy can evolve with a Sun Stone now. j/k