PDA

View Full Version : Fable

Razola
15th September 2004, 11:25 PM
Why isn't there a thread on this already? You'd all better be busy playing it.

I'm a good archer with two wives and a love of leather.

Heald
16th September 2004, 12:36 PM
Unfortunately, I do not have the child's toy that is required to play Fable on.

MetalScyther
16th September 2004, 03:30 PM
How open-ended is this game? If it doesn't have decent length, or isn't worth playing through a few times, then I won't buy it.

Spending 50 dollars on a video game = not cool.

Is it really as vast as they hyped it?

Razola
16th September 2004, 03:49 PM
If you just blax through the game, it's about 9-10 hours. But if you take the time to get a wife, buy property, open demon doors, etc., it's a lot longer. The game has a Sims/Animal Crossing quality to it, but with a clear purpose in terms of missions.

PNT510
16th September 2004, 05:02 PM
How open-ended is this game?
Somewhat open ended, the game has a central plot, but you can do tons of side quests, take out villages, buy and rent property, become a merchant of sorts, so the game feels more open ended than it really is
If it doesn't have decent length, or isn't worth playing through a few times, then I won't buy it.
The game isn't too long, I am about 18 hours into and am coming close to beating up, but I am gonna play through with another character or 2 at least, plus you can keep playing with your old characters after you beat the game.

Spending 50 dollars on a video game = not cool.
I'm use to it, doesn't bother me much.
Is it really as vast as they hyped it?
Not as good as they hyped it, but I'd say its one of the better games so far this year.

Heald
16th September 2004, 05:06 PM
So what do you actually do in Fable? Wives and leather? Sounds like a kinky version of Harvest Moon...

PNT510
16th September 2004, 06:22 PM
It an action RPG(closer to an adventure game than the traditional RPG) where you are trying to solve the mystery of your parents death. You train to become a hero and after that is complete you are free to do what you will, wanna get married? Check. Kill the merchant you though ripped you off? Check. Run around in your underwear? Check! Get drunk and attack helpless chickens? Check! It also has 3 skill types, Magic, Physical, and Skill. Use magic and you get more magic EXP to spend on spells and whatnot, Use Bows and arrows for skill and Melee fighting for physical. You also gain general EXP for killing enemies, which can be spent on anything.

All and all Fable is a great adventure game that makes you feel like you really are the character, but not as groundbreaking or as epic as the hype wanted us to think it was

Gengachu
16th September 2004, 07:20 PM
Man, I need an X-Box. This game sounds incredible.

Razola
16th September 2004, 11:47 PM
While the game is shorter than most RPGs, you can easily double it since you're going to create another character of the opposite alignment after your first. Some side quests are split into good and evil. For example, a mission involves either protecting or raiding a farm. You can only do one, so you'll to wait until later to do it.

I'm tracking down various clothing items. Due to a stat that increases natural defense, the game emphasises less on getting armor for it's defense stat but rather how it looks. Gives you a lot of choice in looks. Wanna be a gay cross-dressing wizard? Go right on ahead (yes, you can woo several men in the game and eventually wed them). Want to be a warrior that sneaks into women's houses at night to murder them? Be my guest.

If you focus on just beating the game, you're missing the point. Running around and playing the character you want is the goal of this game. While most RPGs put you in a set role with minor customizing that is defined by set role, your character in Fable slowly evolves into a role. My roommate has a beefy warrior decked out in chainmal, while my character is a slim archer who doesn't wear a shirt.

And the scarring system is amazing. My roommate has an extremely thick scar on his left cheek with smaller ones coming off it. Meanwhile my character has several thin scars that go across the whole face. Show you the difference between a melee warrior and an archer.

PNT510
17th September 2004, 01:07 AM
Man did the arena ****ing rule or what? Not only did it have some of the more fun/difficult battles in the game, but I am now rich as hell.

Razola
17th September 2004, 01:24 AM
Man did the arena ****ing rule or what? Not only did it have some of the more fun/difficult battles in the game, but I am now rich as hell.
Oh God, yes. I was able to buy a nice little place in Knothole Glade to rent out. The Rock Trolls, however, are very difficult for an archer (and while crossbows are slightly more powerful, suck compared to old-fashioned bows). I was glad Whisper distracted one, because it's hard to dodge two waves of rocks and then be able to line up a good shot.

Also, the folks by the arena are very easy to impress with trophies. Eleven people, all on one straight-a-way. You can rack up thousands of renown easy.

EDIT: Several places are offering Fable for about 10 bucks cheaper. I heard Fry's had it for $39.97, but it will take you a bit longer to get it. And there's always EBay.

Last Exile
17th September 2004, 10:11 AM
So basically it's Harvest Moon meets Warcraft 3 meets Final Fantasy.

Gee, I already own the first two and I am never going to have anything to do with Final Fantasy. Hmmm, I wonder what I should do?

Conclusions:

1. DOA Extreme Beach Volleyball is still the only reason to get an Xbox.
2. Wait for The Legend of Zelda and Metroid Prime 2 to come out, both of which will own everything, especially the Legend of Zelda.
3. If this is the Xbox's attempt to dilute the tyrannical rule of Final Fantasy, nice try but no dice.

Razola
17th September 2004, 12:14 PM
Uh....try Animal Crossing meets Zelda.

1. DOA Extreme Beach Volleyball is still the only reason to get an Xbox.
You are the ONLY person who has ever stated this. The rest either say A) Halo 1 or 2 or B) List titles on Live.

You're not secretly a pervert or anything are ya, Exile?

3. If this is the Xbox's attempt to dilute the tyrannical rule of Final Fantasy, nice try but no dice.
It's really nothing like Final Fantasy barring the fact you increase skills with experience.

PNT510
17th September 2004, 04:04 PM
No, the game is basicly Zelda with roleplaying.

Last Exile
18th September 2004, 04:17 AM
I simply can't afford to get an Xbox and the list of games available is nowhere near appealing enough to warrant one. All my friends own either PS2s or Cubes. Plus the only RPG anyone even cares about in Australia is Final Fantasy. No other one ever sells. As for Halo, people got sick of it quickly. Counterstrike for its mega linkup ability on PC and larger online capability gets much more play here. Basically Aussies play either that or Battlefield for a mutliplayer shooter. If neither of them, the'yre all playing Warcraft 3, Final Fantasy or Soul Calibur II.

Maybe Fable will sell well here, but I don't know anyone that would have it. That aside, I'll just wait for the Legend of Zelda.

Actually, I can rustle up a lot of people who have that view on the Xbox. Australia has a large Asian population so they instantly shun it. The PS2 dominates everything here. The other 2 don't feature too much.