PDA

View Full Version : Don't play the Sims 2...

Heald
17th September 2004, 07:25 PM
...it's devilishly addictive.

I've just spent the last seven hours straight playing the copy of the Sims I received this morning, excluding the 40 minute installation time (bearing in mind this computer is only a year old).

Where did I go wrong? I promised myself I wouldn't go off on one of my gaming binges as before.

I broke my promise.

It was a basic family. A young couple with a toddler. Beware: toddlers are almost too cute. They sound like characters from Happy Tree Friends (minus the killing) and of course you cannot just stick them in a cot or in a high chair and hope they shut up. They won't.

The game kept warning me that there was only two days left until the toddler would mature to child status. It was then I realised it wasn't very long to teach the toddler how to walk, talk and crap (or go potty, depending on how conservative you are).

I just squeezed it in, and now he was a child, going off to school. The man was being promoted as a politician and the woman was a housewife that spent more time doing aerobics than actual housewivery (in the end, I just hired a maid).

There was one nice touch to the cooking system. If you have a servings-sized plate, the person who has cooked it doesn't just leave it for others to run towards like hounds. It locates dining chairs and the dining table and sets an individual place for each person awake in the house. Very useful, very effective, very realistic.

The making a friend system is improved too. No longer do you 'talk, joke, talk joke, talk, joke, compliment'. There are thousands of interactions.

Sooner or later, perhaps when the boy turned into a teenager, he succeeded the man as the main character. The father was now just the shmoe that brought in the cash. His son was now in the picture, holding parties, going to parties, going to the local pool and chilling with the local hooligans.

Then the blasted mother got pregnant. Although they had been wanting a pregnancy, it became a burden on me. The mother needed to eat, shit and wash more frequently, leaving less time for fun and sleep. She was more frustrated than I was. Luckily, the man's recent promotion earnt a nice few thousand simoleons for the baby.

The man came home one day, his energy bar almost nil. I was hasty to send him to bed. It was a Sunday (he works on Sundays, natch, but gets Wednesdays and Thursdays free), and his teenaged son had been partying all day, so he was sleeping in the evening, as was the wife, what with her pregnancy.

The problem was, the man had brought two female colleagues back, who made straight for the hot tub installed on the patio. At about midnight, the son and the mother stirred and decided to play with the remote control car. Her waters broke. Everyone gathered round. There was panic.

They were twins. One boy and one girl. I was shocked. This was a blessing and a curse. They wanted a baby, two babies = bad news. No sleep for anyone.

Soon, the teenager was playing with his new brother and sister, so I quickly bought two cribs and put them to sleep. And the father of the babies? Sound asleep, the lazy bastard.

I decided to log off there, and come tell you an important message:

When you buy this game, you will not get any homework done. I have an 800-word Shakespeare essay to write, and I don't intend to do it now. I'm f*cked, what with three kids, a mother recovering from pregnancy trauma (and will no doubt get the baby blues) and the once lively, now drab father who seems to do nothing but eat, sleep and go to work. But his wife still loves him somehow. Maybe it is because when he gets into bed, he snuggles up behind her and cuddles her as he goes to sleep. Oh, and the teenager is overweight, the fat bastard.

HavoX
17th September 2004, 07:43 PM
Maxis deserves a lot of credit... they've not only made Sims 2 the best thing on the PC since real life, but real contenders of the "Best-PC-Game-of-Year" honors.

it's a good thing that I don't have to do homework anymore for the rest of my life, though :P

PNT510
17th September 2004, 10:48 PM
Wow, that actually sounds like fun unlike the first game which got boring after an hour or 2. I heard there were alot of bugs with the game, have you encountered any?

Razola
18th September 2004, 12:15 AM
Now I'm very glad I didn't buy this. Sounds as crappy as the first. I realized how tedious it got just getting those bars to a satisfying level. For me, it was like Sim City with a Hunger and Shit bar. And less building.

Heald
18th September 2004, 05:26 AM
PNT510 - I haven't seen any bugs yet, it's all in working order for me.

And to back up Raz's point, if you didn't like the first game, you won't like this. However, what I didn't like about the first game was there was no progression after you had bought everything and got the highest promotion. Now they've removed that, this rules.

Gengachu
18th September 2004, 07:25 AM
It doesn't sound like too much of an improvement. Like Raz, I got bored after a couple hours, and Sim 2 sounds like it's the Sims with better graphics and more demanding people.

Kris
18th September 2004, 05:43 PM
Ive got a mac so I'm gonna have to wait a while for this to come out on it!!!

Everoy
18th September 2004, 08:42 PM
I can't wait to get this. I'm just upset that none of the Sims expansions work on it :(

Crystal Mew
18th September 2004, 09:20 PM
:lol: man oh man, it sounds like you have your hands full!
I liked the first sims...so of course I was going to buy sims2, which I did...only one problem....

:cry: my freakin computer is crap, and doesn't have enough memory, and the video card is too old :swear: I knew from the second I heard about sims2, which was way back in december..? that I would need a new computer, I just haven't saved enough for it. If you could make a few suggestions on a good computer to buy, I would appreciate it!!

but anyways, I think this game is better, because sims grow up. I got bored after awhile with the same sims, never getting old, or doing anything...but now they actually DIE!!! :yes: I am excited, I can't wait to play it either...hopefulyl by christmas :grumble:

Heald
19th September 2004, 04:25 AM
Okay, the only bug I've found so far is that the nanny tends to freeze all the time, requiring you to use the moveobjects on cheat to delete her and her van to get rid of her.

You don't really need the expansions. The only things missing as such are pets, vegetables and going on holiday. Oh, and making magic and being a superstar, but no one liked those expansions anyway.

Heald
19th September 2004, 03:06 PM
Hilariously, the teenager, who happens to be follwing the Popularity Aspiration, was so caught up in schoolwork and feeding babies that his social bar hit rock bottom, so a humanoid rabbit only he could see appeared to cheer him up. Yes, Donnie Darko came to his rescue. I tried to ignore him but eventually I had the teenager talk to his little brother and Donnie bounced out of the house through the roof. Typical.

I started a new family, two roommates fresh out of college, one going for riches, one going for knowledge and both are soaring through promotions in the Medical Profession.

Eventually I will make some kind of crazy family of mass murderers and lock them in the house Big Brother style (only being let out to dispose of garbage and collect the bills). We'll see how long that lasts. I'll cheat for money, after all this for your entertainment...mwahahaha.

Crystal Mew
19th September 2004, 03:39 PM
:lol: thats pretty funny...yeah I've been reading all of these peoples "sim stories" they sound interesting.

lol, in sims1 I had a "survivor" type game...moved 8 adults into this giant house, and whoever was the last one standing got it all....its funny.

MetalScyther
19th September 2004, 08:48 PM
:cry: my freakin computer is crap, and doesn't have enough memory, and the video card is too old :swear: I knew from the second I heard about sims2, which was way back in december..? that I would need a new computer, I just haven't saved enough for it. If you could make a few suggestions on a good computer to buy, I would appreciate it!!

I don't remember the name of the thread, but search the first few pages of the VG forum. Some dude wanted help for a computer and I suggested one that was like $300 and kicked a lot of ass.

Is Sims 2 really that demanding of a computer though? :S

Crystal Mew
19th September 2004, 11:54 PM
Unfortunately, yes it is. What a gimmick :mad2: you wouldn't beleive how many people needed to upgrade, or buy a new computer for this game

Razola
20th September 2004, 01:18 AM
Minimum Requirements:
If you have a T&L capable video card with at least 32 MB of video RAM then you need at least:

800 MHz processor or better
256 MB RAM if Windows XP, ME, 98 or 2000
At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space.
If that's high requirements, then you probably haven't upgraded since the original Sims came out. Which, given the bulk of the game's audience, is probably true.

Crystal Mew
20th September 2004, 09:12 PM
---^ yep, you are right, I have never upgraded anything!

that may be why I can't play sims2 now :sweat4:

Mitch's Bashamo
21st September 2004, 04:55 AM
Devilishly huh, OH SH!T, I can't let my sister get The Sims 2.

Starry Might
21st September 2004, 02:28 PM
If anybody is curious about how well their computer will run "The Sims 2" (or other games, for that matter), check out Microsoft's Windows XP Game Advisor (uses Java):

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/games/gameadvisor/default.mspx

Anyhoo, my Dad got "The Sims 2" last Friday night, and I'm lovin' it! :D I've already made several families (so far, they're all recreations of families I made in the original "Sims"). I wish it had more stuff, though (guess I'm spoiled by all the stuff that the "Sims" ultimately got thanks to Maxis downloads, user downloads, and of course, the myriad expansions packs :lol:). :notfunny: Also, I'm worried that the new "Aspiration" system might crimp my playing style...

I'm still lovin' it, though. ;)

P.S. - I have Aging off (BTW, if you want to turn it off in your game, press Control + Shift + C and type "Aging off" without quotes), 'cause while the Aging aspect sounds interesting, I personally don't want my Sims to grow old and die. :sweat4:

Razola
21st September 2004, 10:52 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/Razola/1337.png
And I'm running a mid-end system. So, as said before, if you can't run this game then you haven't upgraded in years.

Starry Might
22nd September 2004, 02:17 PM
And I'm running a mid-end system. So, as said before, if you can't run this game then you haven't upgraded in years.
WOW! My Dad got that same result (I think) when he did the Windows XP Game Advisor with "The Sims 2" on his computer, too! :oh: (What a coincidence! :D)

Heald
22nd September 2004, 05:49 PM
Don't believe that thing. My computer is fairly high end but it coughs and splutters just loading up the neighbourhood (and this is with all the scaleables turned way down). Seriously, if you buy it, expecting frustratingly long loading times and 5 seconds freezes everytime you do something like phone someone or place a large section of floor. Here is a more accurate image:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/HealdPK/sismgullible.jpg

Razola
23rd September 2004, 01:49 AM
Sounds like you need to tone down the graphics settings. The meter says you CAN play it, but it doesn't mean it can be played with the resolution and details maxed out.

Thy
23rd September 2004, 08:20 AM
I love the Sims 2. I did have to buy a new computer though, but now my cpmputer can accually play new games. I may seem like a 3D Sims 1, but the Wants/Fears thing makes it so much harder when you have a large family. I started with one guy who just got married and it took me so more time to fall in love with her than in the Sims 1. Mainly, you can't do Talk, Talk, Talk, Friendly Hug, Talk, Peck Kiss, ... but there are so much more interactions that can get you to fall in love. Plus they got rid of ;!;! for the money cheat put added: motherlode which gets you 50,000 simoleans for people who like to cheat. I wish there was a quick way to design items out of the game, the design tool is nice, but they don't always fit everthing. I still like it and it's a great game. 9.5/10

chris edit: spoiler-blacked cheat

Heald
23rd September 2004, 12:53 PM
...and this is with all the scaleables turned way down...
Sounds like you need to tone down the graphics settings. The meter says you CAN play it, but it doesn't mean it can be played with the resolution and details maxed out.

Razola
23rd September 2004, 03:26 PM
Give me your computer specs. Note that this is EA we're talking about, and the Sim games are known for running like crap.

Heald
23rd September 2004, 04:10 PM
Windows XP
120GB Hard Drive
512MB DDR RAM
Pentium 4
nVidia Geforce 4MX

Razola
23rd September 2004, 11:53 PM
Windows XP
120GB Hard Drive
512MB DDR RAM
Pentium 4
nVidia Geforce 4MX
That is your problem. Your card sucks complete and utter ass. Don't let the 4 fool you: that puppy is about as strong as the Geforce 2.

kainashi
24th September 2004, 12:17 AM
That is your problem. Your card sucks complete and utter ass. Don't let the 4 fool you: that puppy is about as strong as the Geforce 2.it's a geforce 2 but with directx 8.1 support! :monocle:

Razola
24th September 2004, 01:30 AM
it's a geforce 2 but with directx 8.1 support! :monocle:
In other words: Upgrade your card, Heald.

Heald
24th September 2004, 10:10 AM
I would but cards are so damned expensive, and unfortunately I'm commited to too much crap to even think about getting a job. My English course is driving me f*cking mental.

PNT510
24th September 2004, 10:22 AM
Don't claim your PC is fairly high end then.

Heald
24th September 2004, 05:28 PM
Considering it is only my graphics card that is mid end, the rest being high end, I think the phrase 'fairly high end' is accurate.

kainashi
24th September 2004, 05:37 PM
your specs are hardly high end by todays standards. :monocle:

Heald
24th September 2004, 07:04 PM
By the way, what is it with you and monacle smileys?

Crystal Mew
25th September 2004, 12:03 AM
I'll be woman enough to say that my computer sucks ass and so does my video card :dance:

and that is also why I can't play sims2, which sucks. meh, but I have already said that :mad2:

I might be getting a job, so....thats good I guess.

Yoh Asakura
25th September 2004, 03:01 AM
I'm sure it's not as bad as mine. (P3, Win98, 500 mhz, 192 SDRAM, 40GB HDD, Voodoo2)

MetalScyther
25th September 2004, 03:41 AM
woman

computer

video card

does not compute

MetalScyther
25th September 2004, 04:16 AM
ATI Radeon 9600SE 128MB is like 60-70 bucks dude, that will run Sims 2 fine. In all honesty, I can't believe that Sims 2 needs a good graphics card to run well. That is shocking :x

Anyway, doesn't GF4MX have DX 7.1? I could almost swear I read about that when they came out years ago.

MY COMPUTER IS THE BEST IT IS A BLAZING 1.67 GIGAHERTZ

Razola
26th September 2004, 01:21 AM
does not compute
Her computer hasn't been updated in years...she plays the Sims...I'm starting to understand.

Chris 2.1
30th September 2004, 03:47 PM
I got the Sims2! I thought I'd give you a little diary of what's been going on in Pleasentview so far...

I decided to start small. The Corporate Family consisted of a Father, Mother, Elderly man and baby. Heck, I wanted to experiment.

Grandad just mulled around the house most the time. He didn't like most the paintings. He sat in an armchair and watched tv while the Mother got herself a job in the Science career, boosting her aspiration meter. Now we had earned enough aspiration points to buy a money tree! water it, and it grows money for you.

Dad started to teach the kid how to use the toilet, walk and talk. This worked like a skill point, but much slower. The meter took ages to complete, but it did eventually. Mum got a promotion straight away, and Grandad started calling some young girls over.

Soon, after Dad got a job and the kid grew up, the house was expanded so that the kid could have a nicer room, and Gramps could have his own room. Mum got a promotion and was soon becoming a sucessful scientist, while Dad got a job as a dishwasher.

And then, on his day off, Dad had himself a nice lie in. The kid was playin with Alexander Goth, who I personally hate, while Mum rustled up some dinner for the family. Meanwhile, Gramps was testing the Hot Tub with a lady he met just yesterday....

It's really good. The wants and fears meters are interesting, and there a lot of items to keep you occupied. The attention to detail is good, and I like the 3D Camera. Cut scenes are nice, like when your teens have their first kiss, or adults get ditched at the alter, or your sim gets abducted by Aliens. The music at the start is nice, and the other two neighborhoods seem fresh and exciting.

It may be very select as to which computer it installs on, but hey, I love it.

Razola
30th September 2004, 03:59 PM
It may be very select as to which computer it installs on, but hey, I love it.
For Sims fans: yes. For people who regularly play PC games: no.

shazza
1st October 2004, 05:50 AM
300mhz
128ram
4gb hard drive

Hopefully getting a new computer soon. :swear:

RedStarWarrior
1st October 2004, 06:11 AM
http://www.iphq.net/~scott/1x1pix.gif
My computer is better than yours! :P I definately have to keep up with technology in order to play all these new games that are coming out.

RedStarWarrior
1st October 2004, 06:16 AM
http://www.iphq.net/~scott/scale.png
My computer is better than yours! :P I definately have to keep up with technology in order to play all these new games that are coming out.

Chris
4th October 2004, 01:33 PM
I've been playing this for about a week, and I'm also suffering from don't-want-to-do-work syndrome. :confused:

Good things: 3D camera (seriously, they should have had this ready for The Sims 1), trillions of different paths for the gameplay to follow, tons of extra house content (blue sofa + blue carpet started to get repetitive in TS1), bigger neighbourhoods, infinite storeys in buildings. That last one is particularly good, since I've successfully created a mansion with 20 floors. 8)

Bad things: Slow loading times on machines close to/just above the minimum spec barrier, unsupportive of older graphics cards. That's about it really.

Good things, but not necessarily to me: Aging, Wants/Fears, Aspiration all give the game infinitely more depth/playability, but sometimes it's overkill; it's too difficult to keep track of all of them all at once. And that's just with 3 people in the household; I'd hate to think what happens when there's 4 or more.

It beats TS1 into the ground, though. :monocle:

By the way, what is it with you and monacle smileys?

http://forums.somethingawful.com

HavoX
4th October 2004, 02:59 PM
http://forums.somethingawful.com

10 BUCKS?

I'm NOT going to pay 10 bucks for a forum account at SA http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Honushi/smilies/grumpy.gif

Razola
4th October 2004, 04:27 PM
10 BUCKS?

I'm NOT going to pay 10 bucks for a forum account at SA http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Honushi/smilies/grumpy.gif
That's why it costs ten bucks.

Chris
4th October 2004, 04:41 PM
10 BUCKS?

lowtax's plan is working perfectly

kainashi
4th October 2004, 04:46 PM
That's why it costs ten bucks.exactly. 8)

it's well worth the $10, anyways. :love2:

Kris
11th October 2004, 03:05 PM
O.K my sim had a best friend of the opposite sex when they were kids. my sim is now a teenager but she hasnt chaged into one. will she? as id love them to become a couple. is this possible? help!!

Thy
11th October 2004, 03:47 PM
Is the friend a member of another family in the neighborhood? If it is, then you need to play that family to make them age. It was creepy when Romeo became an elder and his son William was hitting on teen Juliet. I don't know what to do if it's a townie or a school-friend. I don't think they age.

Heald
11th October 2004, 03:56 PM
Why can I invite only two people to a party? Screenshots showed about twenty people at a party on the website...

Then again, EA's screenshots are about as reliable as the Iraq WMD Dossier...

Thy
11th October 2004, 04:48 PM
Have you met more than two people? I've heard some other people complaining about only two people two so I'm not sure. Just go onto the computer and chat with people. Easy "meet someone new" want as well. Parties are not the same as "throw party" in House Party. If that doesn't work go to The Sims Bug Report website (http://thesims2.ea.com/community/qa_form.php) and enter your problem so they can fix it in the patch coming up. Also, EA cheats with their screens. I'm pretty sure that you can have two parties at once. That would be 16 people. Or they could make an 8 member family household and control everything since you're using house members.