PDA

View Full Version : Mime, good or bad...

Rabid_Cow
17th September 2004, 11:10 PM
In past Pokemon games I really haven't found any real reason to use Mr. Mime. BUT seeing as I started with Charmander, but deposited him because of EV's and his Blast Burn move. I found trading that level 8 Abra for this Mime was one of the best things I have ever done. He has been absolutelly awesome for in-game, but my question doesn't have to do with tournament or serious play.

In FRLG he is able to learn Magical Leaf at level 22, and seeing as he was traded it's not hard to get him to that level. He was crucial to me gettin through all of Rock Tunnel (and all those durn Hikers with Geodudes) plus he learned Flash. With his Soundproof ability he doesn't get hit by Sing, Growl, Snore (Snorlax wasn't hard to catch at all b/c of this and Substitute btw...), Supersonic and other sound related moves, he lets the stupid AI waste crucial turns. Plus his Substitute can protect him from any special condition, which is great against the Gym Leaders that thrive on that fact. He just absolutelly shredded Erika's pokes (half psn), Koga's are all psn (+ Toxic = no good against sub), Team Rocket hasn't posed any threat at all (Game Corner, Silph Co., and Pokemon Tower) w/his Psybeam/turned into Psychic. Because I started with Charmander my Rival's Squirtle (Evo's) haven't been a problem at all.

I just can't believe how quickly this Pokemon has turned from one of my last choices for an in-game team to the automatic must have for any play-thru of the game. He doesn't even require any TM's to be good. I've even kept Flash on him, and I'm cruisin along fine with: <>Psychic<>Substitute<>Magical Leaf<>Flash<>

What do you think?

andyizcool
18th September 2004, 03:28 AM
That sounds pretty good and seeing as you chose Charmander as your Starter Green will be using Blastoise at the end and your Mr Mime has Magical Leaf. Maybe I'll use this Mr Mime when I get Pokemon LG on 1st October because you've made it sound very good by moves it learns naturally. Having Flash on there is also a good idea because I always have to find a different slave Pokemon just to have HM Flash on most my games.

rinku
19th September 2004, 07:07 PM
He's definitely had a makeover...

Yeah, I agree that he's good value. Also has more value early on as many of his moves are TMs or Move Tutor moves you only get later (Substitute, Light Screen, Reflect etc) on most other types. Can also Baton Pass a Substitute, which is useful.

FireBlast
20th September 2004, 05:10 AM
Yeah, I guess he's pretty cool for in-game usage... But he could be easily defeated in tournaments etc by using physical moves (you can only use substitute so many times..), yeah of course there's always switching out but Mr. Mime's physical weaknesses are insane. Crappy HP+crappy defense = :\

andyizcool
20th September 2004, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I guess he's pretty cool for in-game usage... But he could be easily defeated in tournaments etc by using physical moves (you can only use substitute so many times..), yeah of course there's always switching out but Mr. Mime's physical weaknesses are insane. Crappy HP+crappy defense = :\
That sort of explain Alakazam but look how Standard it is and how many people use it. Maybe Mr Mime will get the Elemental Punchs on Pokemon Emerald so it can be like Alakazam with Calm Mind. Sounds a good idea for in game and maybe later Pokemon Emerald Move Tutors will hopefully improve it more.

Rabid_Cow
20th September 2004, 07:53 PM
I really don't know what to say about him w/those punches. He could be used more in serious play now that I think about it. I think that I'll bring this topic back up in a few weeks when those of you in the UK have had a chance to get your hands on it. (or those that just don't have it) From the looks of my pole it appears that it's not that you don't care, it's you just don't have it yet.

Powarun
21st September 2004, 10:39 PM
I noticed that Mr. Mime was doing me pretty well too, my only problem was using him too much, early on in the game and he began turning evil and disobeying me. I replaced him with a Porygon, just because I was frustrated with the clown for disobeying my commands versus Giovanni the first time.

Imhere4u2die
21st September 2004, 10:47 PM
What is the blast burn move? Also, in Seribii.net, it says charizard has heat wave, which he doesn't. Is it an egg move?

rinku
22nd September 2004, 12:18 AM
You can get the move relearner in FRLG to teach it, as with any move on its level up list it's high enough level for. You'll never get it through actual level up as it "learns" the move prior to the level it evolves to Charizard. Same as Medicham's Fire Punch.

Poryhedron
22nd September 2004, 05:54 PM
Blast Burn is a Fire-type version of Hyper Beam. There's also a Grass-type version called Frenzy Plant and a Water-type version called Hydro Cannon. These moves can only be learned by the fully-evolved FRLG starter that matches their type, from a Move Tutor on one of the Islands.

Dark Sage
24th September 2004, 06:25 PM
Mr. Mime has definately improved from the days of R/B/Y and G/S/C. If you give him a decent moveset, he isn't half bad for a Psychic pokemon. It learns a lot of useless moves (like Role Play and Trick) but on the other hand, it learns a few useful ones (like Psychic, Magical Leaf, and Substitute). What's more, Soundproof can be a powerful Ability in certain situations, and Mr. Mime's Special Attack is pretty good. Its Special Defence is through the roof. Its Defense is nothing to scream about, but it is better than an Alakazam. He isn't the best Psychic, but he isn't the worst either.

After all, Sabrina uses one, so there must be something good about this clown.

- Venusaur

IcyLapras
24th September 2004, 08:04 PM
Ive been using him for breeding stuff on other pokemon... I was planning on using a Hypno w/ Rest (Insomnia ability), but Mr.Mime is alright. If used right he could be used well..

Silent Dragonfly
25th September 2004, 03:10 AM
Rest doesn't work if you have Insomnia, No sleep = no restoring HP.

andyizcool
25th September 2004, 04:22 AM
The only way you'll get your Hypno to Rest and restoring HP is if you teach it Skill Swap. That way you can use Skill Swap on anything and gain their Ability thus getting rid of Insomnia so you can use Rest.

rinku
26th September 2004, 06:09 PM
Rest + Early Bird is the combo you're thinking of. A Xatu trick.

andyizcool
27th September 2004, 11:57 AM
Rest + Early Bird is the combo you're thinking of. A Xatu trick.
That trick works best on Kangaskhan because she can sweep and recover HP quickly with Early Bird Rest. She also has good Defences and 404 HP will make a Substitute where moves like Night Shade/Seismic Toss will take two hits to get rid of it.

rinku
27th September 2004, 05:11 PM
Yep. Kangaskhan is indeed worthwhile, though as a Normal type it doesn't have to worry about Night Shade at all.