PDA

View Full Version : hack//twilight - redemption for the hack series?

Last Exile
18th September 2004, 04:46 AM
I was given a copy of the first volume of hack//twilight manga by a friend. Admittedly, I only picked it up a few days ago after being given it in July.

But after I tried it, I'm glad I did. While hack//SIGN was just all talk and no action, hack//twilight definitely has action! Plus characters that are worthy of empathy and humour.

Here's the basic plot for this new one for those unfamiliar with anything after sign:

It is four years after the incident in 'The World'. Shugo, a 14-year old male middle school student, is convinced by his sister, Rena, to try playing in 'The World'. Turns out their characters are the legendary Kite and Black Rose, considered to be the strongest characters of all time! On top of that, early into their experience, the mysterious Aura appears to Shugo in the midst fo a battle and gives him the Twilight Bracelet, a powerful item that Kite was legendary for. It is clear Shugo and Rena will have a mjor part to play in what happens in 'The World' this time around. But with the friends they pick up on the way, they stand a good chance.

Here are the main players:

Shugo, Twin Blade. A bit of an airhead but he's honest and tries his heart out. Is victim to Rena's frequent outbursts but is always able to redeem himself. And he's got a thing for every female character he's met so far. Plus he beats up anyone who acts like a sleaze towards Rena.

Rena, Heavy Blade. Feisty, hard on Shugo but has a lot of sibling affection for him and wants to have a good experience as brother and sister. The brains and beauty behind the duo. She kind of likes Balmung.

Mireille, Spellcaster. Is quite capable with spells and she just LOVES rare items! Say those two words and she's off! Energetic and playful, she's fun to be around and someone you can rely on. Just don't get in her way of getting a rare item. She's not that fond of Balmung.

Ouka, Wolfcaster. This very strong player is able to shapeshift into a wolf at will. She's very powerful and can easily crush her opponents. You don't want to be in her bad books. She's good friends with Mireille and she thinks Shugo is kind of cute.

Hotaru, ??? Hotaru lives in the US but has started playing on the Japanese server. She's shy and doesn't like fighting. She likes cute things and she's very friendly. She likes Shugo the most out of the group.

Balmung, Administrator. He is responsible for organising special events in 'The World' and making sure things run smoothly in day-to-day activities. However, he's got some weird ways of thinking, which are usually targetted at Rena and Mireille. He knows Aura is up to something and that something major is happening in 'The World' again, so he keeps a close eye on Shugo and Rena at all times.

It's actually a pretty funny read. Using younger characters than hack//SIGN and more relaxed personalities, along with a decent amount of action for once, it's entertaining stuff. The author won a major award in conjuction for his efforts in designing this new saga in 'The World'. The drawings are kawaii and have a very risque touch.

Basically, don't write off the .hack series just yet. SIGN wasn't a good example of what 'The World' is capable of. hopefully hack//twilight will redeem this series.

Anyone else read it? (And just a quick note, don't get into a flame war about whether you love or hate tha whole .hack series again, please)

Fai D. Flowright
18th September 2004, 10:49 AM
I have also read this. I'm through the first Manga, as well as half of the second! I love it! It's just very intriguing! It helps to explain some of the things thay have happen in the past as well as add some new things to it as well.

I would like to add that, if you wish to take any part with .hack//Legend of Twilight, that you read the Manga, not the Anime re-creation of the Manga. Both stories start out the same, but at one point, they completely part from each other's plot. The anime plot takes a turn towards the games. The irritating and continuous search for one person, while the Manga keeps it's own original plot compared to the rest of the series. Personally, I would recommend the Manga of the anime, if anyone decides to try LoT.

EVme15
18th September 2004, 06:50 PM
I own the first two books (and really really annoyed at how long it's taking for them to bring out the third).

At first, when I saw the anime, I thought they'd be the same. Of course, then I missed like four episodes. When I can back I was lost (for a bit). They're different. Trust us...

It is honestly one of the better mangas I've read. A wonderful art style, good story, humor, Balmung *sigh*... oops, sidetracked there.

Do not judge it just by the chibi-like appearance of the characters. It's not a 'little kiddie' manga (by that, I don't mean inappropriate, but it's not akin to Barney or anything).

And I thank Zak for buying the first book for me!!! ^_^

Zak
18th September 2004, 07:18 PM
I started reading it and watching it as well. Along with CCC's advice, I'll just say this: aside from having seen Sign, it would be SO much easier and enjoyable after having played and beaten all four games. Then again, I'm kinda biased towards the games, after all, they're one thing that got me started in the .hack series (Yeah, played/beat them before watching Sign). Sign turned out a lot more horrible than I'd expected it to be... but still quite fun. Although I mainly like Twilight many times better, not due to the action, but due to the closeness to the games. The action's pretty good too, though.

~Zak

Razola
19th September 2004, 01:04 AM
Ar, it not be pleasin' to me tastes. A man shouldn't have such tastes for 'is kin. 'Specially 'is wee sis. It not be natural.

Last Exile
19th September 2004, 05:01 AM
Shugo seems far more into Hotaru, Ouka and Mireille than Rena. Shugo is simply defensive towards sleazes hitting on Rena. I mean, Komiyan III's goal is to see Rena in socks! If you were her brother, you'd want to protect Rena from a freak like that. They're closer than other siblings but they're not incestuous, no way. Shugo only gets nosebleeds over girls that aren't Rena. ;)

Roarkiller
21st September 2004, 08:17 AM
I own the first two books (and really really annoyed at how long it's taking for them to bring out the third).

The japanese version has been out for mths actually :D and it'll be out in english in my country soon (hopefully next mth, or early nov). Its the last vol btw, but a LOT thicker (trust me, i saw it already at Kinokuniya).

I first thought this was a discussion on the anime, which i didnt bother watching past the 2nd ep due to the extremely high-pitched and VERY irritating voices and attitude.

Yeah the manga's nice i guess, simple digestable humour. Its one of those mangas that u can juz pick up and read for a few good laughs, and the best thing is that its only 3 vols, so u dont have to be put on hold forever to read the whole story. Kinda like the novel u buy before boarding a plane.

Thunderchu
19th October 2004, 02:21 PM
I watched a few episodes of .hack//sign, and I think they were uh...boring...? @_@
I also watched a few episodes of .hack/twilight, and I love the animé!!The characters are so cute! ^^ I'm now downloading some more episodes on kazaa...:P (yes, I download episodes, cuz they don't show it on TV where I live...:s)

Razola
19th October 2004, 06:18 PM
'm now downloading some more episodes on kazaa...:P (yes, I download episodes, cuz they don't show it on TV where I live...:s)
NO

Last Exile
20th October 2004, 03:52 AM
Thunderchu, it is acutually illegal to say where you download stuff. So if you don't want yourself and the rest of us to get lynched, please refrain from future references to where you download. It is a rule that no person may post info referring to download sites.

So please don't do it again.

Toxicity
20th October 2004, 07:20 AM
I've only been able to pick up the first two parts of the manga, so I guess I'm lucky that I'm too forgetful to watch the animated version (well, actually it's because George Noory is on at that time). It's a bit better than .hack//Sign, and I have played the games so I know it takes place after that. It is indeed the cutest manga I've ever seen.

Roarkiller
20th October 2004, 09:49 AM
The characters in the anime were too irritating for me.

I read the last manga, and i agree with the artist; the 1st and last volume are WAY different. And oh, it may sound disappointing, but the ending is, well, disappointing. Horribly so.

Well, i guess the only redemption is it packs a lot of side stories. So much for a bumper issue.

In case u guys r wondering, my local distributer is Chuangyi (http://www.chuangyi.com.sg/english/index.htm).

Thunderchu
20th October 2004, 12:23 PM
Thunderchu, it is acutually illegal to say where you download stuff. So if you don't want yourself and the rest of us to get lynched, please refrain from future references to where you download. It is a rule that no person may post info referring to download sites.

So please don't do it again.
uh...lol...Sorry, I didn't know that.. ^^''' cuz on other forums they always talk about where they down episodes... @_@

Last Exile
20th October 2004, 10:06 PM
uh...lol...Sorry, I didn't know that.. ^^''' cuz on other forums they always talk about where they down episodes... @_@

Is cool, but here and at animenfo (the other place I ahng out), it ain't legal and can get everyone in the crapper, so we find it best to pass on such information in 'discrete' ways. ;)

Razola
20th October 2004, 10:38 PM
Actually, I was saying no because Kazaa is a spyware-ridden piece of shit.

Last Exile
21st October 2004, 04:54 AM
Of course it is!

Still, you can't talk about what you download on public forums. It's suicide! If you do that at animenfo, you're dead meat.

Thunderchu
21st October 2004, 11:43 AM
Of course it is!

Still, you can't talk about what you download on public forums. It's suicide! If you do that at animenfo, you're dead meat.
uh...Explain...? @_@''

Razola
21st October 2004, 01:19 PM
uh...Explain...? @_@''
Downloading episodes is, of course, stealing; naturally most sites don't want angry letters from the various productions companies.

Thunderchu
21st October 2004, 01:42 PM
Downloading episodes is, of course, stealing; naturally most sites don't want angry letters from the various productions companies.
oh I see, sorry I'm such a baka, but I'm blonde eh.. ^^'''

Roarkiller
22nd October 2004, 07:07 AM
oh I see, sorry I'm such a baka, but I'm blonde eh.. ^^'''

Stereotyping is groundless.

Btw, what happened to mirkx?

Last Exile
22nd October 2004, 08:15 PM
Is it gone?!

Doh ma. Better find out from my mates.

Lorelei
13th November 2004, 02:07 PM
I got the first volume as a present from the leader of our school's anime club. I read it, and fell in love. Next day, I went and bought volume 2. Now I'm eagerly anticipating the third =) Wow. Very nice series. My first .hack series, actually.

EVme15
13th November 2004, 06:56 PM
Third is out, and within it is the 'official' .hack timeline.

.hack//SIGN
.hack//LIMINALITY
.hack//LEGEND OF TWILIGHT
(I think .hack//DUSK is a different version of TWILIGHT's story, but I'm not sure.)

Basically, I really like how it wraps everything up. This is supposedly the 'final' chapter of the .hack saga, and I'm glad they end it on a happy note.

Lorelei
13th November 2004, 10:47 PM
I think Dusk and Twilite are the same, except for minor things. The only thing I saw new was Ouka's outfit was more covering (but still skimpy) XD. I actually have a poster with all the Twilite chars on it... but it says Dusk on the label on the back 0_o;; So I'm clueless

Zak
14th November 2004, 06:46 PM
Third is out, and within it is the 'official' .hack timeline.

.hack//SIGN
.hack//LIMINALITY
.hack//LEGEND OF TWILIGHT
(I think .hack//DUSK is a different version of TWILIGHT's story, but I'm not sure.)

Basically, I really like how it wraps everything up. This is supposedly the 'final' chapter of the .hack saga, and I'm glad they end it on a happy note.

Wait... last chapter of .hack ANYTHING? Meaning the thing I heard about it new set of games isn't true?! I sure as hell hope "SUPPOSEDLY" is a keyword (no pun intended)... and sorry, guess I should take the game discussion outa here.

Last Exile
15th November 2004, 01:01 AM
I expected more action from the last volume, but it was still good. Beats mosts that I've read.

Roarkiller
15th November 2004, 01:47 AM
I expected more action from the last volume, but it was still good. Beats mosts that I've read.

It was crappy. 1st volume was a hell lot better.

Dusk and twilight is the same actually. The japanese title is ".hack//Tasogare no Udewa Densetsu", and tasogare can translate to either dusk or twilight. However, "dusk" here does not exactly refer to the opposite of daybreak. Full translation is ".hack//Legend of the Twilight Bracelet", hence ppl just shorten it to hack//twilight. But like i said, it can translate to dusk as well, so some ppl call it hack//dusk.

And so ends the little trivia explanation.

Fai D. Flowright
15th November 2004, 02:30 AM
Very true, RK, but I must disagree with your saying that Dusk and LotTB are the same (as well as others who have said the same). While, yes, the characters are the same and the two start out on the same note, they both take a total 180 from each other in the episode with the Haunted Mansion. In the anime (.hack//DUSK), at this point, Rena is DDed by a monster created to destroy Shugo by a group of hackers. From that point on, throughout most of the rest of DUSK, Shugo and the rest of the team are in search of Rena and a way to get her back. But LotTB is much different.

.hack//Legend of the Twilight Bracelet (the Manga version), the monster in the Mansion is DDed by Shugo and all members of the party survive. There is also a new character (that isn't included in the anime) that is introduced. Zelfie, the daughter of Aura, becomes a big part of the story. Rather than just Rena being at the threat of deletion, all of the crew is for being in relation to a "bug," aka. Zelfie.

As you can see, there are MANY differences in the plot between the two, so can't exactly directly compare the 2 of them together.....

But I would also like to add that, although DUSK/LotTB are END of the series, SIGN is not the start of it all.... There were 2 series of books that (so far) have only been released in Japan: AI Busters is the first novel series but the other's name escapes me at the time. But they both relate to events BEFORE SIGN takes place. AI Busters talks about a player that becomes entwined in the events of The World before it became The World; during Fragment, if you will. He receives abilities like that of Tsukasa's and runs across a stray AI that is the precursor to Aura.

And, besides the name, not much is known (or at least, that I know) about the second novel series. It is also unknown as to whether these 2 novel series will be released in America at all, but, for all I can tell, these 2 series will reveal many of the questions that weren't been answered in the rest of the Project (ex. the Epitaph of Twilight and its deletion, the transition from Fragment to The World, questions behind Morgana and Aura, and how Harold and Emma (definitively) relate to the entire situation).

That is all I can say for now, as I am tired and running off of the little consciousness that I have.

I hope I've helped clear up so questions and differences here....

Murgatroyd
25th November 2004, 12:54 AM
But I would also like to add that, although DUSK/LotTB are END of the series, SIGN is not the start of it all.... There were 2 series of books that (so far) have only been released in Japan: AI Busters is the first novel series but the other's name escapes me at the time. But they both relate to events BEFORE SIGN takes place. AI Busters talks about a player that becomes entwined in the events of The World before it became The World; during Fragment, if you will. He receives abilities like that of Tsukasa's and runs across a stray AI that is the precursor to Aura.

And, besides the name, not much is known (or at least, that I know) about the second novel series. It is also unknown as to whether these 2 novel series will be released in America at all, but, for all I can tell, these 2 series will reveal many of the questions that weren't been answered in the rest of the Project (ex. the Epitaph of Twilight and its deletion, the transition from Fragment to The World, questions behind Morgana and Aura, and how Harold and Emma (definitively) relate to the entire situation).

That is all I can say for now, as I am tired and running off of the little consciousness that I have.

I hope I've helped clear up so questions and differences here....

You've got your AI Buster summary rather badly wrong. I'm sure you're just repeating what you've read (it's awfully hard to find good information on it online), but that doesn't make it accurate.

The book is set well before SIGN, but well after Fragment. It starts with Albireo, leader of the Cobalt Knights (CC Corp's debugging squad) on a routine deletion of a rogue AI. It doesn't go quite right. A few days later, he receives a bug report mentioning a strange (and to him, familiar) NPC in a dungeon....
This leads into a series of events, including a little girl (*not* Aura, no matter how much she wants to be), items with obviously buggy names ("rae.cyl"), a clueless newbie (or is she?), the event where Balmung earns his wings, and a glimpse of what's in that "black box" folder that even the programming team that ported the game into Japanese didn't get to look in. There is also a fair amount of discussion of the Epitaph of the Twilight - its origin, its translations, and how it is connected to the game.
Albireo is unable to log out for a while, but it's nothing like Tsukasa's case. Simply removing the headset lets him leave the game for as long as he wants.

I suspect the other book you referred to is .hack//ZERO, which is actually set between //SIGN and the games.

There's a third novel series you didn't mention, which doesn't cover any new time period. .hack//Another Birth tells the story of the games from BlackRose's point of view.

Roarkiller
26th November 2004, 07:05 AM
Very true, RK, but I must disagree with your saying that Dusk and LotTB are the same (as well as others who have said the same). While, yes, the characters are the same and the two start out on the same note, they both take a total 180 from each other in the episode with the Haunted Mansion. In the anime (.hack//DUSK), at this point, Rena is DDed by a monster created to destroy Shugo by a group of hackers. From that point on, throughout most of the rest of DUSK, Shugo and the rest of the team are in search of Rena and a way to get her back. But LotTB is much different.

.hack//Legend of the Twilight Bracelet (the Manga version), the monster in the Mansion is DDed by Shugo and all members of the party survive. There is also a new character (that isn't included in the anime) that is introduced. Zelfie, the daughter of Aura, becomes a big part of the story. Rather than just Rena being at the threat of deletion, all of the crew is for being in relation to a "bug," aka. Zelfie.

As you can see, there are MANY differences in the plot between the two, so can't exactly directly compare the 2 of them together.....

The manga version and the anime version of Evangelion is pretty different too. As is Midori no Hibi. And FMwS. And juz about almost every other manga<->anime i ever knew.

I dunno if it is differentiated in english, since u use the words Dusk and Twilight so freely, but i doubt it goes the same way in japan. The title's the same for both anime and manga (characters don't matter), hence it is more or less the same story. I never said there wasnt going to be any differences. In fact, id be surprised if there wasn't any differences at all, i have yet to discover any anime<->manga that follows the exact same storyline.

On a side note...

DAMN, MURGATROYD! Where the HELL have you been all this time, haven't seen you in ages, man.

Fai D. Flowright
7th December 2004, 12:50 PM
You've got your AI Buster summary rather badly wrong. I'm sure you're just repeating what you've read (it's awfully hard to find good information on it online), but that doesn't make it accurate.

I suspect the other book you referred to is .hack//ZERO, which is actually set between //SIGN and the games.

There's a third novel series you didn't mention, which doesn't cover any new time period. .hack//Another Birth tells the story of the games from BlackRose's point of view.

Yeah, just regurgitated information... Unfortunately, even now, little is know about all 3 book series and what you can find is either inconsistant or highly imaginative...

I dunno if it is differentiated in english, since u use the words Dusk and Twilight so freely, but i doubt it goes the same way in japan. The title's the same for both anime and manga (characters don't matter), hence it is more or less the same story. I never said there wasnt going to be any differences. In fact, id be surprised if there wasn't any differences at all, i have yet to discover any anime<->manga that follows the exact same storyline.

I'm not using DUSK and LotTB freely either. The Anime and Manga (due to their difference), are called by 2 different names in the US. The Manga is labeled as .hack//Legend of the Twilight Bracelet and the Anime goes by .hack//DUSK (I don't know if they are called by anything else in Japan). It is true that the stories use, for the most part, the same characters too. I don't get to read many Anime <-> Manga series, only because I really don't have the money to support getting the counterpart Manga to the Anime, and vice-versa... (and my local library doesn't have squat for Manga either...) But I try my best to read in on some of it. And I do realize that a Manga's plot is slightly different from the Anime's, just like anything else that is turned into a movie/series. I was just saying that the difference between them gives the whole Project 2 completely different finality sensations.