PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye Kanto and Jouto? *Spoilers*

Hanada Tattsu
13th February 2003, 11:08 PM
Due to the sudden changes in format for the anime in the past few month, I have stumbled upon a hypothesis.

The end of the Jouto League. Ash defeats Gary. Knowing Gary, he would just say "You won by luck" and continue on to Houen. But, he becomes friends with Ash, and quits training. A couple of eppies later. Misty and Brock both leave. Kind of fast, two well-known characters leaving in one episode.

That's not all. Ash deposits all his Pokemon except for Pikachu to Oak. He heads off for Houen. Even in the Hoso specials, Brock gives all his Pokemon except Forretress to his brother.

Then, Ash meets Haruka, and later Masato. Followed by a reunion with Brock, who only has 1 Pokemon.

Then, Jessie and James leave Arbok and Weezing.

My point? Does it not seem that the producers are kind of ditching all of the Kanto and Jouto Pokemon and characters. I mean, look, the only "old" Pokemo remaining are Pikachu, Meowth, and Wobuffet, and even those are like trademark Pokemon.

Even Brock's Forretress might hit the road soon.

I dunno, if you disagree please say so.

ryandude713
13th February 2003, 11:20 PM
they are most likely trying to give the show new "flavor"

after so much stuff, they probably want to make it interesting, and not bring up the same thing.

i know that some people didnt like misty, so they made hakura as her replacement.

brock came back, because i assume they like brock.

team rocket nedded new pokemon, so they probably ditched arbok and weezing to do so

im not sure why ash left his other pokes. probably the writers not wanting to keep them around because they want to give the new pokemon exposure.

meowth and wobbufett stay, because there is no comedy without them.

and pikachu stays, becaus he is ash's hetero-life-partner, and the pokemon mascot

thats my 50 cents on the subject

Ashi-chan
14th February 2003, 12:38 AM
The writers brought back Takeshi 'cuz they're not gonna make the same mistake twice and replace him w/ a character they thought everyone would like but...didn't (cough)Kenji(cough).

As for Kasumi, it'd be interesting to see what happens. Haruka seems like a pretty cool character, but I don't know about her fan popularity factor. If enough peeps like her, they might actually keep her for the rest of the show.

AKA Pokemon Fan
14th February 2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by ryandude713

im not sure why ash left his other pokes. probably the writers not wanting to keep them around because they want to give the new pokemon exposure.
That's more than likely the main reason but in the anime the reason was (as far as I understand it) that Ash felt he needed to sort of "start over" and in doing so become a better trainer than ever by not making the same mistakes he did in the beginning and not allowing the great amount of experience and power of most of his Pokemon stand in the way of his own personal growth as a trainer. He was inspired to do this by Gary (who from my understanding hasn't quit training permanently), and also probably due to Ash not really believing he's become nearly as good as he could be. From what I recall he admits outright to Gary that their match was extremely close and it could have gone either way (not to mention he'd of only taken down half of Gary's Pokemon if he hadn't had Charizard).

Then there is the fact that Ash is beaten by a more experienced trainer who started his journey in Hoenn. Perhaps Ash wants to go through the same struggles Hazuki did during his first journey and in so doing help his Pokemon all become as durable as Hazuki's. Keeping around with him a bunch of his originals would make that task too easy to do and not give as much real benefit to Ash as having to go through more hardships like he had when he first began training.

and pikachu stays, becaus he is ash's hetero-life-partner,
:D :P

Powarun
14th February 2003, 07:37 PM
4Kids main mistake was all the fillers and this might just be an excuse to show more fillers.

Hanada Tattsu
14th February 2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Powarun
4Kids main mistake was all the fillers and this might just be an excuse to show more fillers.

What do you mean? It's not 4Kids who animates the episodes, it's the Japanese producers. They're the ones in charge.

T M Pikachu
15th February 2003, 12:51 AM
I agree they ditched Kanto and Johto. They probably wanted to start fresh for all the new viewers. Hasn't Pokemon been runing for like seven or six years in Japan already? They probably thought all the old fans were too old to watch Pokemon. But if they continued the show as its been going the new fans won't get it. I think ditching everyone was for publicity and stuff.

I'm curious is who would be Ash's new rival since Gary obviously isn't anymore. He's gone to something new. I still want Misty back. They can ditch Masato or Haruka and bring back Misty.

Err... poor Forrestress. I can see it leaving some odd way soon. Oh well. ;o I didn't get really attached to it some it doesn't matter. Anyways Misty's coming back. Whenever the one year is up. They haven't forgotten about her. Obviously with Hoso showing Misty. They haven't forgotter her or Ash'r remaining Pokemon is Oaks. Meaning the writers haven't totally ditched Kanto and Johto permenatly.

BenRG
15th February 2003, 09:25 AM
I've said this before, but I wonder if the Powers That Be are trying to set up a two-stream parallel show. Haruka, Masato and the Ru/Sa Pokémon in AG, Ash, Misty, Brock and the Kanto and Johto Pokémon in Hoso.

Yes, some people were tired of Misty, but some people were tired of Brock. I know a lot of people are tired with Team Rocket. I don't think that Medianet wrote Misty out of the main show in response to any market forces. I just think that they decided to replace one of the main characters with one from the new games. If they had replaced Brock, then the show would have risked becoming a Shoju, which I don't think anyone wanted. :D

I find myself wondering if Misty will 'return', or if Ash and Brock will 'leave'. A lot depends on the overall response to the first season of AG, I suppose. :confused:

Light_Togetic
15th February 2003, 09:51 AM
Well, to me it seems as if not only are they starting fresh, but are trying to do what the Ruby and Sappire games are. A lot of the old pokemon in Ru/Sa you can't catch, and you don't go to Kanto or Johto. So one reason for them ditching Kanto and Johto could be that. On the other hand, the Pokemon show was way overdue for some changes, and as much as I don't like drastic changes in the shows I like, Pokemon needed them badly. Johto was getting just plain boring until about the Silver Convention (I think that's what it's called) or the eppies with gym leaders.

And actually, I think it was a good idea for them to take Misty away... but only for a while. I think the writers realize that it would be a great episode story opportunity to have Misty return (Hopefully an opportunity that they take). And I personally don't want to see Misty and Haruka fight over Ash or anything, I'd rather see them become friends (just a side-note from me). As for them ever bringing old pokemon back... well, one can only hope.

Hanada Tattsu
15th February 2003, 10:34 AM
I dunno, Misty's return is pretty impossible now. Even though I wanted them to bring Misty back, I think Media Net does not really want the show to be like it was before. Yet, I still hope that Misty comes back.

AKA Pokemon Fan
15th February 2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu
I dunno, Misty's return is pretty impossible now. Even though I wanted them to bring Misty back, I think Media Net does not really want the show to be like it was before. Yet, I still hope that Misty comes back.
What makes you think it's impossible?:confused: Misty lives a day or two's journey from Pallet, it'd be easy to have her return when the Hoenn League is over, and given how often Professor Oak and Delia showed up with the gang in Johto it's possible she may have a guest appearance in an episode or two. After all, it's the Gym Leader's decision to have the gym open or not (i.e Whitney taking "days off."

kyogretrainer
17th February 2003, 09:51 PM
I hope that if ash and co are starting over his new pokemon r a lot better and evolve more. I hate it when his pokemon battle and u think they should evolve and they don't it's disappointing. So i hope his pokemon evolve more especially if he gets treecko~ his last stage Jucain is da bomb:)

T M Pikachu
18th February 2003, 04:56 PM
Spoiler

In case you didn't know. Ash does have Treecko (Kimori). He caught it along time ago already.

End Spoiler

I think that the writers are doing many changes. First they may only give Ash three Pokemon. Pikachu, Taillow, and Treecko for the first Advance Generation season. As many people said, in the opening you see Ash, Brock, and Haruka with their Pokemon. I haven't seen it, but many say that Ash only has those three. So yeah the writers have decided to take a while to give Ash the six that he needs. That could take a while since they also have to give Haruka and Brock and maybe Masato Pokemon.

You guys think they might ditch Team Rocket soon and replace them with Team Aqua and Magmar? I say these changes are getting over my head. I liked the anime the way things were. That's probably why I didn't like Orange Islands very much. Heck I didn't even watch that season till they partically started the Johto League. I started to watch Pokemon again after Brock returned. i made up the Orange league through reruns.

So I do't like new starts and stuff. Everything started over. ERRR!!! Me don't like. But oh well I'll still watch it and pray that things will go back to the way they were. Ash with his famous league hat. Team Rocket with they original Pokemon meaning with Arbok, Lickingtung, Weezing and Victreebell. Brock in his orginal clothes. Misty back and Ash reunited with the Pokemon he has at Oak's. I'm already starting to miss Bayleef's overly affection for Ash, Cyndaquil's laziness, and Totodile's cute dances. Oh yeah and that adorable Phanpy and the smart, shiny Noctowl. They can keep Haruka and Masato but bring the old stuff back TOOO!!

Hanada Tattsu
18th February 2003, 06:48 PM
I miss the old stuff a lot. The writers really created personalities of gold for the Pokemon. Especially in Indigo and Orange. Bulbasaur's quietness and toughness. Squirtle's coolness. Charizard's cockiness. Somehow, I don't think they can copy that in Houen.

And yeah, Ash does get Treecko, kyogretrainer. I read that it has the personality of a rebel. Still, it does not match up to Bulbasaur's toughness and Bayleef's affection for Ash.

AKA Pokemon Fan
18th February 2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu I miss the old stuff a lot. The writers really created personalities of gold for the Pokemon. Especially in Indigo and Orange. Bulbasaur's quietness and toughness. Squirtle's coolness. Charizard's cockiness. Somehow, I don't think they can copy that in Houen.
I miss them as well but anime is about change. The introduction of new Pokemon leads to Ash developing new fighting strategies, opens the window for new personalities (I doubt there has ever been a Pokemon in the series that matches the ditz level of Haruka's Torchic), and makes it all the more exciting and happy when the old ones make guest or (hopefully someday) permanent returns.

And yeah, Ash does get Treecko, kyogretrainer. I read that it has the personality of a rebel. Still, it does not match up to Bulbasaur's toughness and Bayleef's affection for Ash. [/B]
But would we really want a copy of a previous Pokemon's personality? Treeko has a character that resembles Charizard and Bulbasaur's to an extent but is still unique, and that's a good thing.

And let's not start missing Misty, Bayleef, Totodile etc. now when it may be half a year before the dub gets to that point. Cherish the moments people, cherish the moments...:yes:

MikeNBulbasaur
18th February 2003, 11:51 PM
AKA Pkmn Fan is right it'll be a a long time til they get to AG (and even longer in australia :mad: ) so dont sweat it so until then get Ruby & Sapphire & SM Sunshine! :yes: :D

Light_Togetic
19th February 2003, 10:01 AM
Yeah, good point. Why worry about what is to come, when there are still so many episodes left before the dub versions get there? I'll just have to save my tears for when the dub gets to Hoenn.;)

And about Misty coming back or not: well, one can dream can't they?:)

Mew2Too
20th February 2003, 04:10 PM
Guys, there's something you don't get. Terra and Landon (I think that will be the dub names for Haruka and Masato) are not replacements for Misty. In fact, I could see where Misty would make Terra, at least, a little more useful. Right now, she's totally inexperienced. Ash knew more about Pokemon in the beginning than Terra did. She's totally off-base with the Pokemon world. She needs some one to teach her, and Ash isn't a very good candidate.

There is a wide-open space for Misty. If she doesn't return, things might get just as boring after a fashion. I personally feel Misty will return for Season 2, giving that season a little kick.

Hanada Tattsu
20th February 2003, 04:45 PM
Good point, Mew2Too.

But what about this? What if Haruka and Masato are playing the role that Tracey played during the Orange League? What if they stay for a season, and then leave to pave the way for Misty to return in Season 2.

However, if Misty does come and tutor Haruka, that would be trivial too.

AKA Pokemon Fan
20th February 2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Mew2Too
She's totally off-base with the Pokemon world. She needs some one to teach her, and Ash isn't a very good candidate.

There is a wide-open space for Misty. If she doesn't return, things might get just as boring after a fashion. I personally feel Misty will return for Season 2, giving that season a little kick.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Misty isn't the best teacher, especially with her limited patience, trying to teach Haruka might drive her insane.:D Brock is a much better teacher.

In any event, Misty would need a pretty good reason to rejoin Ash, as well as an opportunity. That world cruise her sisters are on is going to take several months at least and Misty can't just abandon the gym without good reason. I personally am not expecting Ash and Misty to see each other again (aside from possible phonecalls, letters, movie appearences) until after, or at the end of, Hoenn.