PDA

View Full Version : You ever notice...

Dark Sage
23rd September 2004, 07:41 PM
You ever notice...

That sometimes in the anime, powerful pokemon have more than four attacks available.

Case in point:

I was watching the Orange Island episode "Enter Dragonite" on Cartoon Network tonight; Drake's Dragonite had a total of eight attacks in its arsenal!

I counted them, in the order it used them: Water Gun, Ice Beam, Slam, Thunderbolt, Dragon Rage, Body Slam, Thunder, and Hyper Beam.

It also used its tail as a weapon several times.

(To make things worse, Water Gun isn't a move that the Dratini family can learn, and while they can learn Body Slam now - in Fr/Lg from a move tutor - they could not do so at the time this episode first premiered.)

Even if you argue that Slam and Body Slam weren't actual learned moves and were just forceful assaults, that's two attacks too many. Drake must be one helluva trainer!

This wasn't the first time that I remember this rule was broken. I remember that when Ash fought the Amazing Mandy in the Indigo League championship, when Krabby evolved into Kingler, it suddenly knew five moves - Water Gun, Vicegrip, Bubble, Crabhammer, and Hyper Beam

I don't like to nitpick, and know that it's the anime, not the game, but the anime exists in juxtaposition with the game, and it really should show more loyalty to it's source.

I get into this too much...

- Venusaur

The_Missing_Link
23rd September 2004, 08:49 PM
Pikachu also has more than 4 attacks: Thundershock, Thunderbolt, Thunder, Quick Attack, Iron Tail and Thunder Wave (not exactly sure about that, but I don't know what other attack Pikachu used against Lt. Surge's Raichu at the end of the battle)

Personally, I think it's great if a Pokemon has more than 4 moves in the anime. Battles would be more entertaining then

Dark Sage
23rd September 2004, 08:56 PM
You forgot Agility.

If you've only seen him use Thunder Wave once, against Lt. Surge (which was early in the series), he may have forgotten that move by now.

But you have a point. Still, Pikachu isn't you average pokemon.

And while he knows more than four moves, I'm guessing that Pikachu must be about Level 80 (or more) by now, and he has never learned a few of the moves on a Pikachu's list - Double Team, Slam, Light Screen.

Well, maybe Light Screen would be hard to animate, but you get the point.

- Venusaur

Pichu
24th September 2004, 12:46 PM
I believe Pikachu can use Helping Hand too... In the fifth movie, Pokémon Heroes, when Kabutops attacked "our hero", Politoed and friends came to help. If I still remember correctly, pikachu jumped on top of Corsola (or was it Politoed?) and used its "pi ka chuuu~!" ... but no lightning came out. So my guess is that Helping Hand? :O

homeofmew
24th September 2004, 09:59 PM
yes this does happen a lot in the anime, maybe dragonite learned attack through breading, like how a zigzagoom can get a fire attack thrugh breeding.
I think it is ok to have more than 4 attacks in the anime. I mean in the game they limity to four cause they can only store so many info on the pokemon.

mr_pikachu
25th September 2004, 09:21 PM
I actually prefer the way moves are done in the anime. In fact, an entire forum (ASB) is devoted to this type of battling, and I believe you can have more than four moves there. Plus, adopted/captured Pokemon in that sub-forum of PCG can have as many moves as they can learn. I like the idea of having a potentially unlimited number of moves. It adds to the fun, methinks. :yes:

P.S. Light Screen actually has been done on the anime. Remember during the Orange Islands episodes with the Lugia, how Ash and Richie battled that scientist's Electabuzz in a 2-on-1 match? Well, the Electabuzz frequently used Light Screen to block their double Thunder attacks.

ryandude713
28th September 2004, 01:59 AM
and did u ever notice. that no matter how many attacks they have, ash wins by some hige stroke of luck, or the guy hes fighting declares him the winner for some good deed he did, or because hes proven himself

The_Missing_Link
28th September 2004, 05:20 PM
and did u ever notice. that no matter how many attacks they have, ash wins by some hige stroke of luck, or the guy hes fighting declares him the winner for some good deed he did, or because hes proven himself

In those situations, that hasn't happened a lot. Most of his opponents' Pokemon knows at least up to 4 attacks and Ash basically used his whole team against Dragonite so it really wasn't a stroke of luck, just teamwork and a lot of health whittling

Charizard is also another example: Ember, Flamethrower, Fire Spin, Seismic Toss and Skull Bash (could be missing something else, dunno). A lot of Pokemon on Ash's team has 4 or 5 moves so it's not that much out of the ordinary

Charizard04621
28th September 2004, 06:01 PM
(To make things worse, Water Gun isn't a move that the Dratini family can learn, and while they can learn Body Slam now - in Fr/Lg from a move tutor - they could not do so at the time this episode first premiered.)

...Body Slam and Water Gun are TMs that Dratini could learn legally since RBY...

Plus you really can't expect the Animé to remain faithful to in-game stuff... Half the people who write it probably haven't picked up the game before. Night Shade affected Noctowl with no explanation, and Pikachu's Thunderbolt caused Steelix a whole lot of pain. *shrug* It's annoying, but there's nothing anyone can do about it, really.

Pichu
29th September 2004, 01:12 PM
Thunderwave seems to be pretty destructive and do a lot of pain to Cyndaquil, Pikachu too.

But I personally don't agree that Thunderwave just do paralyzes, and I don't agree that ground types are absolutely immune to electric attacks. =p

Dark Sage
29th September 2004, 02:33 PM
True.

I remember the classic episode where Ash challenged Brock for the Boulder Badge. Pikachu was able to seriously hurt Onyx, and would have defeated it if Brock's siblings hadn't interferred.

Then there was that episode after Ash had gotten all of his Indigo Badges, where Ash teamed up with a trainer who had a Marrowak. (Jesse had stolen the trainer's Badges). Before they paled up, Pikachu fought Marrowak, and Pikachu won.

So I guess in the anime, Electric types CAN harm Ground.

- Venusaur

Pichu
29th September 2004, 08:27 PM
Pikachu also destroyed Brock's geodude with a thundershock.

Furthermore, Onix was hurt by the electricity... not by the water at first... I kept discussing that with Zak before, and he said 'no, it was the sprinklers that hurt him'. xP

(furthermore, and bit off topic, I remember when I played Diablo II Expansion, my sorceress killed a fire immune monster by repeatedly casting Hydra at it, and it kept doing 1 damage to it, but soon, after a long while, it was killed by me. :P)

(Furthermore, again off topic, if you touch a leather purse. The purse will not be affected by your touch. But over time, if you keep touching it, the purse will have a hole in that spot.) (same analogy, the purse is immune to touch attacks, but overtime, it'll have a hole.)

And in ASB, Becca said 'no, thunderwave only paralyzes, not do damage'. >_<

ryandude713
29th September 2004, 10:07 PM
also pikachu beat down piloswine, but the writers actualy did something right anf had pilo use rest, and pikachu was screwed over. and then price gave ash the match. way to go writers

Zak
29th September 2004, 11:01 PM
Pikachu also destroyed Brock's geodude with a thundershock.

Furthermore, Onix was hurt by the electricity... not by the water at first... I kept discussing that with Zak before, and he said 'no, it was the sprinklers that hurt him'. xP

(furthermore, and bit off topic, I remember when I played Diablo II Expansion, my sorceress killed a fire immune monster by repeatedly casting Hydra at it, and it kept doing 1 damage to it, but soon, after a long while, it was killed by me. :P)

(Furthermore, again off topic, if you touch a leather purse. The purse will not be affected by your touch. But over time, if you keep touching it, the purse will have a hole in that spot.) (same analogy, the purse is immune to touch attacks, but overtime, it'll have a hole.)

And in ASB, Becca said 'no, thunderwave only paralyzes, not do damage'. >_<

I never said the electricity didn't hurt it, I said it was blatantly obvious that the majority of the damage came from the sprinklers, as Onix is weak to water. The electricity only helped because it was conducted by the water. Electricity doesn't stand a chance against Onix, but electricity conducted by water would sure drive it insane.
Thunder Wave, AFAIK, doesn't do damage. I think you're confusing it with ThunderSHOCK. Thunder Wave is a blue bolt, and IIRC Jasmine's Magnemite did no more than paralyze. And... Same with Wattson's Electrike/Manectric.

also pikachu beat down piloswine, but the writers actualy did something right anf had pilo use rest, and pikachu was screwed over. and then price gave ash the match. way to go writers

Several things to back this up:
a) Pikachu's electricity had only affected Piloswine when it was all wet after the ice had melted.
b) Actually, if I remember correctly, Piloswine was about to be damaged anyway after using Rest, having still been wet. Technically, Ash had beaten Piloswine already, because Pryce knew what was coming and that there was absolutely NO chance of avoiding losing the match. Even if Pryce had not thrown in the towel, Pikachu would have knocked it out a few seconds after. The reason he had thrown in the towel, was because if you saw the episode before that where they just meet Pryce and find his long lost Piloswine, you'd understand why he wouldn't want to let Piloswine faint on his first battle since. Like I said, Pryce knew he had already lost the match fair and square and there was no way to avoid it, but to avoid Piloswine's fainting, the RIGHT thing to do would be to throw in the towel and give Ash the Glacier Badge.

As for the Electric-Ground thing... well, not sure about Marowak, but I think Pikachu aimed at a certain part of it like the bone alone which might have not been made of Ground element. *Shrug* or maybe just a certain part where the electricity hit happened to be weaker. The reason for this is the only other times I remember this happening are Onix, as explained above, and Rhydon twice. The first time the rat shocked the horn, which is made of metal, or at least a different alloy than the rest of its body. The second time the electricity was shot into its mouth, and it hitting is self explanatory. It's clear that Rhydon is one loopholey Pokemon in the anime, hence the above.

Now... the surfing Rhydon, now that's a whole 'nother matter... let's just say that one is 'unique'.

~Zak

Pichu
29th September 2004, 11:51 PM
I'm not confusing with anything. ;_;
And electric attacks don't cause confusion. ^^;

Gnight
5th October 2004, 05:36 AM
Well, of course pokemon can use more than 4 moves in "real" life. In fact, I think it's messed up that they're limited to 4 moves in-game. Quote from the pokedex about alakazam "...it never forgets what it learns..." :rolleyes:

Jeikobu
6th October 2004, 06:33 PM
Gnight, I LOVE that sig you have about 4Kids. It's excellent.

I think the Water Gun thing could just be bad dubbing. As for the many attacks, I think it's just a case of how some things differ from the show and game.