PDA

View Full Version : Favourite gaming villains

Last Exile
26th September 2004, 11:04 PM
Here's mine:

5. Nightmare, Soul Calibur II. Like him or hate him, he was one mean psycho. Plus he had a really big sword. ;)

4. Raphael, Soul Calibur II - Okay, his intentions were half good, but they were half bad as well! What he was prepared to do in order to save Ami was pretty insane. Plus he looks cool in battle.

3. Pico, F-Zero GX. He's not the most notorious or the most evil, but he's not a schemer or a conqueror either. He simply does what he has to do in order to live and he doesn't care what anyone thinks of him. Lord knows how many people he killed in the war and as an assassin. His theme music is way cool and his special clip is cool with a delicious twist at the end.

2. Rouge, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. Scheming and a classy chick. She was able to wind even her parteners in crime around her little finger and make them explode. Plus she could bust a move pretty easily.

1. Shadow, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. Shadow...what a guy. Frankly, one can easily grow to like him more than Sonic. He has more style and class.

Green_Pikachu
26th September 2004, 11:42 PM
the best villain ever has to be king koopa from mario brothers. or however it's spelled. old school nintendo forever

Razola
27th September 2004, 01:48 AM
Here's mine:

2. Rouge, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. Scheming and a classy chick. She was able to wind even her parteners in crime around her little finger and make them explode. Plus she could bust a move pretty easily.
I actually find her to be amongst the most wretched in character design. Whereas Shadow was great in his simple design (an evil sonic), Rogue is just fugly and seems that the developers were really stretching for a Knuckles clone as opposed to an engaging character. And her gameplay sucked. Period. Subtract her and Kunckles from SA2 and the game was a great deal better.

Blackjack Gabbiani
27th September 2004, 02:09 AM
You can't get any great a villian than Kefka Palazzo from Final Fantasy VI. Style, flair, and the best laugh *EVER*, combined with a sense of humor and a mindbending bloodlust.

See, most 'funny' villians aren't that funny at all, but Kefka manages to be fearsome and hilarious at the same time.

Last Exile
27th September 2004, 02:42 AM
I actually find her to be amongst the most wretched in character design. Whereas Shadow was great in his simple design (an evil sonic), Rogue is just fugly and seems that the developers were really stretching for a Knuckles clone as opposed to an engaging character. And her gameplay sucked. Period. Subtract her and Kunckles from SA2 and the game was a great deal better.

Matter of opinion. I excelled with Rouge and Knuckles. For me Tails and Eggman were the annoying ones, and Sonic ticked me off at times too. I've enver played a game where I actually liked Tails.

PNT510
27th September 2004, 03:36 AM
Calapso from the Twisted Metal series is a pretty memeroable villian. Sephiroth is the very definition of cool. And Dracula from Castlevania is always a blast to fight. Other than that I don't really care about any villians. I tend to find most video games extreme boring and lame.

fat man with a monkey
27th September 2004, 12:00 PM
More often than not, the villain is just there to beat, and there's nothing cool about them.
Char Aznable and Anavel Gato would probably be the coolest villains in any game I've played. Playing from the zeonic side, though, Kou Uraki would be the coolest antagonist (considering them to be the protagonists). (MSG: Encounters in Space pwnz). In most games, I just tend not to care about the villain. Being able to play as the villains, though, really lets you appreciate their coolness more.
Or else the invading fleet from Space Invaders.

Razola
27th September 2004, 12:56 PM
Matter of opinion. I excelled with Rouge and Knuckles. For me Tails and Eggman were the annoying ones, and Sonic ticked me off at times too. I've enver played a game where I actually liked Tails.
I hate it when people say "matter of opinion". Forums are supposed to be topics of discourse and debate, not just "state you opinion, but don't go any further than that". It's woefully lacking in interaction, and it's mind-numbingly boring. Besides, debate is good exercise for the brain.

Their levels were nothing more than aimlessly running around, hoping your emerald meter is leading you the right way. Very dull, frustrating, and only challenging if a timer as given.

.hacker
27th September 2004, 12:57 PM
Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII is the greatest villian ever. When more people know who the villian is than the hero in the story, that tells you something.

Yoh Asakura
27th September 2004, 01:17 PM
Indeed, black leather, silver hair and a such skill with a sword. The villians started to decline from then on.

ryandude713
27th September 2004, 02:08 PM
i dont know if he was a villan, but Zangief from the street fighter series was the best for these reasons:

1. hes the token wrestler
2. he was on the cover of street fighter alpha 3
3. hes the last commie fighting game character
4. he bites stuff
5. the FINAL ATOMIC BUSTER, the single most horrifying and glorious move that ever existed.

Rudoku
27th September 2004, 03:13 PM
i dont know if he was a villan, but Zangief from the street fighter series was the best for these reasons:

If anything, Zangief was a hero. Play Street Fighter Alpha 3 with R. Mika. He was only a villian in the shitty live-action Street Fighter Movie, and the USA network cartoon based on it.

Strider
27th September 2004, 07:49 PM
One favorite bad guy of mine would have to be Pyramid Head of Silent Hill 2. No other villian really instilled a sense of dread at the mere sight, and would really make one want to stay away at all costs, especially since he's pretty much invincible. Playing the game the first time around, I would almost jump at the sudden sound of him walking around with heavy steps and dragging his huge knife along the ground, ready to cleave anything that comes close. Not only that, his character design is very cool.

I'm sure there's a few more villians I'm partial to, but my mind is in a blank state at the moment..

Gengachu
27th September 2004, 08:03 PM
I think Liquid Snake from Metal Gear Solid was cool. The Windfish from Zelda 4 was cool because of his mysteriousness. Tyrant and Nemesis from the Resident Evil games are cool, but they aren't so much villians as they are killing machines.

And Sephiroth is overrated. He's just well designed. Besides in the flashbacks his character was never developed, much.

Blackjack Gabbiani
27th September 2004, 10:47 PM
If anything, Zangief was a hero. Play Street Fighter Alpha 3 with R. Mika. He was only a villian in the shitty live-action Street Fighter Movie, and the USA network cartoon based on it.

And he works for the bad guys in the anime Street Fighter II V, but it's fairly well established that they tricked him into it because he's rather dimwitted.

Salvester2
28th September 2004, 07:34 PM
Gannondorf is the best reaccuring villian. They should make a game just about him

Last Exile
29th September 2004, 03:55 AM
Arthas from Warcraft 3 was a damn good one.

The guy forsakes humanity, turns undead, murders his father, his entire nation, then the high/blood elves, the naga and then Illidan, then fuses with the Lich King!

Now that's evil! ;)

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
29th September 2004, 06:11 AM
IMO Castlevania has the greatest baddie with Death. Death is always one of the most vicious fights in the game and he usually has a great original character design - though his 2nd, transformed, form usually is kinda bad. I'm always looking forward to meeting Death in a Castlevania game.

Legends-Kuja
1st October 2004, 10:07 PM
Kuja is the greatest villain, hands down!

Kuja is a wonderful psycho, and can survive direct hits from Bahamut (an FMV showed that), as well as have both a dignified manner AND totally lose it!
Contrary to popular belief, Kuja is actually a homophobe (homophobia also means fear of sameness/monotony, which Kuja had all up the wazoo).

Blackjack Gabbiani
2nd October 2004, 02:29 AM
Contrary to popular belief, Kuja is actually a homophobe (homophobia also means fear of sameness/monotony, which Kuja had all up the wazoo).

There's another word for it when you're talking about that regard, though. I can't remember it, but I know there is one.

Djinn
2nd October 2004, 09:02 PM
Hmm...

5. Darth Revan (Well he was a villian for me at least)
4. Jack of Blades (Just plain EVIL Fable villian)
3. Tom Nook and Redd (This fox and raccoon from Animal Crossing have some shifty dealings in merchandise going on, I just know it)
2. Arthas (Last Exile got it exactly right)
1. Alex (My favorITE character in Golden Sun 1 & 2 and a definite take-over-the-world type)

That about sums it up.

Chrono Storm
4th October 2004, 05:17 PM
I'm personally fond of Kefka, Bowser, Metal Sonic and Eggman. Kefka's just plain psycho, Bowser's awesome in SSB:M and he's like, the first big recurring villian ever, Metal Sonic looks awesome and has a lot of potential, and Eggman because I'm a biased Sonic fangirl. Seriously, though, he's been at the villian business in almost as many games as Bowser, and experience counts.

Also, Fawful owns you all, even if he wasn't a final boss.

Yoh Asakura
4th October 2004, 05:49 PM
Gannondorf is the best reaccuring villian. They should make a game just about him

I've often wondered why they show Gannondof with a sword in SSB:M yet you can't use it... sadly..

Evil Pig Gannon from the Early Zelda games and the Zelda cartoon > Gannondorf

Nace
4th October 2004, 11:13 PM
My fave villain of all time is Fawful from M&L. He's just so nutty! Way better than Cackletta IMO.

Craig
5th October 2004, 04:31 PM
I always thought that Kerrigan from Starcraft: Brood Wars was a pretty cool villain... After you found out she was corrupting Razhagal you were like "Wow, what a bitch." :)

Gengachu
5th October 2004, 07:31 PM
I've often wondered why they show Gannondof with a sword in SSB:M yet you can't use it... sadly..

Because they didn't have time to make a new character and a sword would be useless for most of Captain Falcon's moves. Hopefully Ganon/Gannondorf will get his own character in the next game with the ability to transform like Zelda/Sheik.

Drago
7th October 2004, 02:27 AM
Obviously the clone aspect is the proper reason behind Ganondorf's lack of swordplay, but from a logic standpoint, I always just assumed that he preferred the black arts as a suitable method of attack. The sword is just there to look cool. Though it's doubtful Ganondorf's that image-conscious... meh.

Favourite villains go through the basics, mostly. Bowser, Sephiroth, etc...
I always thought Knuckles was a pretty kickass villain, even if it only lasted a couple games. He was strong, scheming and loyal to his duty. In fact, nowadays, Knux seems more like a pansy. Just some of his dialogue from Sonic Heroes shows that he's not as wild as he once was.
Wolf from Star Fox was a pretty spiffy character. He wasn't exactly developed enough in the history department to become too interesting, but his general attitude made up for that.

Ridley sits head and shoulders above all others, though. A giant purple Space Pirate...really makes you think.

Sceptile_Master
21st October 2004, 05:10 PM
Sephiroth is really cool (a bit easy on kingdom hearts though, very predictable). So was shadow from SA2:battle (although his levels were two easy). Someone said alex from golden sun. I hated him (although I love both golden sun's). Ivan forever, although he isn't a villain @_@.

Powarun
21st October 2004, 05:51 PM
That fat shy guy from Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's island, just because it is fatter than Mario.