PDA

View Full Version : Burnout 3: Takedown

Razola
29th September 2004, 01:35 AM
This is one of the best games I have played this year. And I don't even like racing games that don't feature turtle shells.

Perhaps it's because the game focuses on crashing. At the start of most races you have a fairly short boost bar (about an inch long). By ramming your opponents until they crash, you achieve a "Takedown" and your boost bar is increased by it's normal sized (so basically it's double the normal size for one takedown, triple for two, and quadruple for four). It also pumps your boost bar to full.

Getting in a wreck, however, it a different story. You're boost bar, if it has increased at all in size, it will go down a level (so if it's triple the size it normally is, it'll go down to double). However, crashing does give you the option of aftertouch. Hold the proper button and everything will slow down, Matrix-style. Besides getting a spectacular show, you can also influence the direction your flying wreckage will go. Thus enters "Aftertouch Takedowns": wrecks caused by your flying heap. Takedowns such as these will negate the normal penalty caused by gettiing a crash.

Single player rocks the house. Over 150 events to do:

Race: Race six cars to get first. Simple enough.
Face-Off: A one-on-one race. As with the above, be first.
Grand Prix: Several consecutive races. Each position gets you a certain number of points. Have the highest number of points to win. Thus you technically could be able to win without being first, but it helps.
Time Trial: There is a target time to finish the lap. Beat that time.
Road Rage: Achieve as many takedowns as possible before time runs out. There isn't a set number of opponents, as a group always spawns in front of you. Unlike other modes, your car will take damage as you crash. Wreck too much, and you'll total the card and the round will end.
Crash Event: Pick up some speed, and then head into traffic. Create as much chaos and destruction as possible. Enough cards pile-up and you'll be able to detonate your car, which can send it flying to another lane of busy traffic or towards bonus pick-ups.

Throw in off and online multiplayer modes (including the online mode where Red Team has to wreck Blue Team before Blue Team reaches the finish line) and this is easily the best racer of the year. The last non-Mario racing game I played was F-Zero GX, and this beats even that. When boosting, the sense of speed can be amazing. Not to mention the awesomely detailed crashes.

The fact that this game has been out for weeks and yet there is no recent thread on it is criminal. Buy it, heathens.

PNT510
29th September 2004, 07:41 AM
I have the game, but I stopped playing it once Fable came out, then I was gonna start playing it again, but then X-Men Legends came out.

ryandude713
29th September 2004, 02:51 PM
A racing game for people with ADD
gotsta love it

btw raz, dont u think that post should go in the game rating thread?

PNT510
29th September 2004, 05:02 PM
He wasn't really giving a review about the game, he was posting this topic so people can discuss it.

ryandude713
29th September 2004, 09:02 PM
kinda looked like a review to me
anyways, if everythign raz said wasnt enough, the game is challenging, making it fun to no end. when u loose a race (and u will), going back and playing it is still fun, even after 10 times.
plus there are tons of cars that range from buses and trucks to sports cars and mini's. my psersonal favorite is the B-Team van, a blatant rip off of the A-Team van, but still just as classy. just no Mr. T :swear:
and watching slow motion crashes are just too beautiful
if you dont have this game, you should just die

Razola
29th September 2004, 10:42 PM
Crash Events are very easy (my roommate got gold on them all only a day after we got it), but races are hard because the AI rubberbands like a son of a bitch. You have be aggressive but also be wary at the same time.

Road Rage is fun as hell, but so far simple. Though getting my 40 takedowns in one Road Rage requirement will require some skill.

PNT510
5th October 2004, 05:44 PM
I wish they designed a better A.I. I hate how you can take down all the computer guys and you're 3 seconds ahead, they take you down and you're 10 seconds back.

ryandude713
5th October 2004, 05:51 PM
i was once in a race where the 1st place guy was 36 seconds ahead of the rest of us
i still got second but it wasnt much of a victory
i hate when the AI does a perfect race

Razola
5th October 2004, 06:55 PM
The AI rubberbands like a son of a bitch. When I hit the first checkpoint, it says I'm 16 seconds behinds. I boost from there to the next checkpoint the ENTIRE TIME. No wrecks either. Then it tells me I'm nearly 30 seconds behind. BS.