PDA

View Full Version : Where is Orre anyway?

rinku
30th September 2004, 07:06 PM
As many people will know, the previous pokémon games are all set in geography that equates to parts of Japan:

Kanto is the area around Tokyo and the Kanto plain

Johto is the area around Osaka

Hoenn is the island of Kyushu

Has anyone figured out an equivalent for Orre? I haven't played Colloseum yet (game purchased, saving up for Gamecube), and all the map screenshots I've been able to find online are a bit pokey. It appears to be inland, so maybe it's set in foreign parts (USA? China? Australia?)?

RattataGuy
1st October 2004, 10:25 AM
Has anyone figured out an equivalent for Orre? I haven't played Colloseum yet (game purchased, saving up for Gamecube), and all the map screenshots I've been able to find online are a bit pokey. It appears to be inland, so maybe it's set in foreign parts (USA? China? Australia?)?
To me it looks like a (mainly) desert plain on some unspecified continent. Even so, Orre always reminded me of the Outback in some weird way.

Xenesis
1st October 2004, 10:51 AM
I have to say, Orre certainly reminds me of the Aussie outback. Scraggly, bare, flat with lots of rocks and stuff.

Razola
2nd October 2004, 03:38 AM
It's must be a horrible, horrible place if absolutely no wild pokemon can be find there.

And that was meant with the fullest of sarcasm.

andyizcool
2nd October 2004, 03:44 AM
I haven't played Colloseum yet (game purchased, saving up for Gamecube), and all the map screenshots I've been able to find online are a bit pokey. It appears to be inland, so maybe it's set in foreign parts (USA? China? Australia?)?
You don't know what you're in for buying Pokemon Colosseum and waiting to get a Gamecube. You should have somehow tested Pokemon Colosseum somewhere because I think it's one of those games you either love or hate.

I always thought Orre was based off Arizona.

PKMN Master
2nd October 2004, 01:58 PM
As many people will know, the previous pokémon games are all set in geography that equates to parts of Japan:

Kanto is the area around Tokyo and the Kanto plain

Johto is the area around Osaka

Hoenn is the island of Kyushu

I would have done it all the way around: save up for the GC, and then RENT colosseum... it's not that great. From what I can tell it's a continent. There isn't any sea or water around. In fact, as everyone has stated, it's a desert, which does remind me Australia or Arizona; there's only two spots where water can be seen, Phenac City and the green town, where there's also a forest... hmmm, could this be another clue? I'm beggining to think that the original creators of the game weren't that involved in its creation. Since all regions are actually based on true japan regions, and no one can find the relationship between Orre and Japan... that would also explain why this game is so... sucky...

Razola
2nd October 2004, 03:53 PM
I haven't played Colloseum yet (game purchased, saving up for Gamecube)
Like everyone else, I also wanted to point our your stupidity. If you buy the Gamecube first, and save up for Colosseum, that means you'll at least have one game to play (the FAR FAR FAR superior Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 demo that come bundled with it). All you got now is a fifty dollar coaster.

rinku
4th October 2004, 12:52 AM
Showing your parochialism Raz. Nothing's bundled with the Gamecube much here in Australia at the moment, and there are no 'cube games for rental here in Hobart.

As it happens, Collosseum came up at 15% off while I was saving up, so that is why I went with it. Hopefully while I'm saving up for the cube a second hand one will pop up or there'll be another price drop.

I want the game so that I can play pokémon battles in 3D with my son between my Sapphire and his Ruby cart. Anything else is gravy.

Perhaps you could suggest another way of doing that Raz? Thought not.

Razola
4th October 2004, 01:15 AM
I can almost gurantee that you could find a bundle on EBay. Even make your own bundle. There's also various freeloader discs that enable you to play imports without modding the Cube. Given non-US and Japanese release dates, that's a must in my book.

So yeah, I guess I can suggest another way of doing it (besides the obvious detail of not buying Colosseum to begin with).

Rudoku
4th October 2004, 01:30 PM
It's must be a horrible, horrible place if absolutely no wild pokemon can be find there.

Arizona
Now that almost makes sense. If only there were nothing but wild Ekans and Gligar in Orre.

rinku
4th October 2004, 04:30 PM
I can almost gurantee that you could find a bundle on EBay. Even make your own bundle. There's also various freeloader discs that enable you to play imports without modding the Cube. Given non-US and Japanese release dates, that's a must in my book.

I appreciate that, but I neither use nor trust ebay. Nor am I worried about having to have the game prior to Australian release date.

Point being Raz, I had my reasons and my eyes are wide open about the game. The fact that you don't like the game (which I respect) doesn't give you the right to call others stupid for buying or liking it (this I most definitely do not respect). You might also want to consider that many of us are not US residents when asserting as to what we should or should not do (my country of origin has always been clear on my profile).

Razola
4th October 2004, 04:32 PM
Life if far, far, more diverse than that.

The following pokemon could probably live in arizona:

-Gligar
-Ekans
-Geodude
-Sandshrew
-That Cactus who's name I forget.
-A bunch of ground and rock types.

Simply put, the "no wild pokemon live here!" claim is just Nintendo's bullshit reasoning as to why the game doesn't have a full-fledged capturing system.

mr_pikachu
6th October 2004, 05:59 AM
Hmm. I'm thinking Death Valley, but there are some areas in the Middle East that could also fit... if they actually had modern buildings and towns... the fact that the ones I'm thinking of are essentially miles and miles of hot sand kinda throws a wrench into that theory. :P

Perhaps the reason that no wild Pokemon live there is that they haven't migrated to that area? Maybe they are fine in their current habitat, so no Pokemon need to move there. I dunno. :sweat:

PKMN Master
7th October 2004, 11:43 PM
I want the game so that I can play pokémon battles in 3D with my son between my Sapphire and his Ruby cart. Anything else is gravy.

:scared: your son? do u have children? :what: you must be a pretty cool dad :D... I'd love to teach how to play pokemon to my children :yes:

Cyber Dragon
8th October 2004, 06:32 PM
Orre reminds me of Australia and the deserts of Nevada and Arizona.

Aarkan
8th October 2004, 09:23 PM
It's a nuclear waste in Russia.
NUKE-YOU-LAR!

Animelee
9th October 2004, 12:16 AM
As Colosseum is more of a side-game, and not really one of the main games that GAME FREAK has anything to do with, I'd say Orre is the only region that doesn't follow the rules of representing one of Japan's regions.

rinku
10th October 2004, 05:38 PM
:scared: your son? do u have children? :what: you must be a pretty cool dad :D... I'd love to teach how to play pokemon to my children :yes:

Yeah, my boy's 8 and we pretty much got into pokémon together over the last 4 years or so. My 4-yo daughter is getting interested at the moment.

One of the things that makes pokémon a genuinely great game is that it has enough depth and complexity to hold an adult interest, while being easy enough to play (and visually attractive enough) for very young kids.

@Animelee: Could be. Still, it might be a fun idea to try and match up town locations with a real world map - the Japanese analogues do tend to have the main cities in the right spots (i.e. Celedon is Tokyo). The Australian deserts don't have any population centres worth mentioning.

There isn't always a direct equivalent for terrain type though - AFAIK there's no desert in the middle of Kyushu, yet there is in Hoenn.

For what it's worth, my money is on Diamond/Pearl to have an Icy theme (i.e. both are white coloured) and be set in an Hokkaido analogue - though I reckon they'll do a Gold/Silver and have more areas opened up after beating the elite 4. I'd also put money on Glacia being involved - she says she comes from a long way away from Hoenn after all.

Sceptile_Master
18th October 2004, 10:39 AM
Everyone should stop dissing of colloseum its a good game.
*Hugs game case 'some day ho-oh you will be mine*

Despite that on a side note: I played it to death the first time through traded some things to ruby, started again. @_@ stupid game can't you just put me back to where I was I can't be bothered. The reason I traded some to ruby was to get poke's back on to ruby when I started a new game on ruby. After that my colloseum save was haggardly bad. And now you know.

Krystalline Kabutops
1st November 2004, 09:22 PM
No, If Orre was AZ, it'd have:
Ekans - Rattlesnakes
Pidgey - Miscellaneous birds
Spearow - Annoying Miscellaneous birds
Sandshrew - Armadillos
Zubat - Bats
Diglett - Moles
Geodude - Rocks
Onix - Big... rocks...
Grimer - Pollution
Cubone - I dunno, shrews or summat.
Koffing - More pollution!
Hoothoot - Owls
Spinarak - Tarnatulas
Hoppip - Tumbleweeds
Murkrow - Crows
Pineco - Pinecones, ESPECIALLY IN THE NORTH!
Gligar - Scorpions
Stantler - Deer
Poochenya - Coyotes
Zigzagoon - Racoons
Dustox - Moths
Nincada - Cicadas
Cacnea -Cacti
Seviper - Miscellaneous snakes
Solrock - Er... I dunno, they're sun pokemon and it's a desert :P make the connection yourself.