PDA

View Full Version : Signups for a new Pokemon RPG! "Trainer's Redemption"

Operaphantom
2nd December 2002, 10:29 PM
Hey guys, I'm starting a pokemon RPG based on this story, and played either co-operatively with a large or small group or by yourself. I'm going to use simplified D&D rules, which if you don't know anything about them I'll explain a little later. :D

Trainer's Redemption

They used to be loved. They used to be admired. They used to be famous... Tossed out like garbage, the Pokemon trainers of Johto and Kanto found their fame wiped away as training pokemon declined as a decade long fad. They now found themselves scorned, and the pokemon kept as wild savage animals. But after an accident in a secret lab north of Johto in the woods, dangerous creatures of darkness and grossly mutated pokemon emerged as not only a threat to the ecosystem but as a threat to all of mankind and the race of pokemon. Modern weapons are useless against them, and the time for our world grows short. They call for their last hope, the pokemon trainers of Johto and Kanto... Succeed, and honor and glory will be yours. Fail, and the forces of evil will reign supreme... for eternity...

If you're interested, reply back or send me an email.
AquilaEagle87@aol.com
When I get some players we can start the battle for Johto and Kanto!

Reptilius Pyrus
3rd December 2002, 03:57 PM
Hello. Your RPG sounds extremely interesting! I am aquainted with D&D, but I am not very good. Anyways, I would like to be in it as soon as you get enough people! Thanks!

Mew Master
3rd December 2002, 04:34 PM
Sounds okay, but what about the sign-up info that's needed.

Operaphantom
3rd December 2002, 06:08 PM
okay, I'll need from you:

Name
Age (how about 15+)

I'm thinking you guys are going to play by yourselves (each person has an individual quest for glory) but if you want to have another person on your team, have them sign up here and say "I want to be in the same group as Soandso."

okay, I was hoping for four groups, so two more and then we'll get into stats and classes.

Mew Master
3rd December 2002, 06:40 PM
Okay, next question: What about Pokémon, and can we have Legendaries? ^_^U

Mew Master
3rd December 2002, 06:46 PM
Name: Denny Roth
Sex: Male
Personality: Easy going and tends to think a lot. Likes to draw and have fun.
Description: 6'3"1/2. Dark Brown Hair, and Hazel eyes. Wears black slacks, a blue T with dragons (not PKMN based Dragons), a black/white/red jacket, and a jade green hat.
Pokémon: Jolteon(Jager), Flareon(Liger), Vaporeon(Tsunami), Scyther(Blade), Aerodactyl(Aero), Mew

does that work?

Totodile Lover
3rd December 2002, 06:51 PM
I like this rpg, but. I really don't think legendaries should be aloud. There TO powerful.
Also can you have an evil cahcratcer, what really has no quest for helping. But eventaully turns good? Anything like that?

Mew Master
3rd December 2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Totodile Lover
I like this rpg, but. I really don't think legendaries should be aloud. There TO powerful.
Also can you have an evil cahcratcer, what really has no quest for helping. But eventaully turns good? Anything like that?

Well he did say that the mutated Pokémon are a threat to mankind. In other words I assume that they can destroy a city in one blow. Now tell me honestly if you would or wouldn't want a legendary on your side.

Just a thought.

100FangCroconaw
3rd December 2002, 07:03 PM
Name:Brian Wolfman

Pokemon Team

Charizard lv. 69 Moveset:Fire Blast, Slash, Fire Spin, Hyper Beam
Feraligatr lv. 58 Moveset:Hydro Pump, Slash, Earthquake, Bite
Pikachu lv 67 Moveset:Thunder, Thunderbolt, Agility, Quick Attack
Alakazam lv 68 Moveset:Psybeam, Dig, Thief, Thunderpunch
Gengar lv. 66 Moveset:Night Shade, Nightmare, Hypnosis, Spite
Gloom lv. 61 Moveset:Solarbeam, Sludge Bomb, Petal Dance, Sunny Day

I Just thought we needed a team of pokemon, That's all.....

Totodile Lover
3rd December 2002, 07:04 PM
No.
I honestly think they still to powerful. A normal pokemon could beat them too. Plus a bigger challenge. I mean, if you want the pokemon fine. I just think it's better if legendaries were.. Out. Then again most rpgs keep them out.
And snice you really like mew. And mew is actually not the strongest.(Mewtwo being the weakest) note this is my brothers observations. Anyway I still stick with my opinion.

Operaphantom
3rd December 2002, 07:04 PM
we'll get to pokemon after we get you a class. So actually I'll post your stats (your character's stats, not your pokemons)
Legendaries, most likely no. But if people play well they can earn themselves one...

Okay, stats are RANDOM.
the way I find your stats is by rolling 3 6-sided dice (di6s) this will give me a number from 3-18. anything from 9-12 is average. you will be working alongside your pokemon, and stats give me a list of possible opportunities and pokemon for you.
The attributes are:

Strength: how strong you are, how much damage you can do etc.
Dexterity: agilty in short, affects accuracy and speed
Stamina: how much damage you can take, how far you can run etc.
Charisma: how people are drawn to you, higher charisma people tend to be popular and charming
Perception: how well you notice things
Intelligence: understanding, IQ etc.
Wit: how fast you react

100FangCroconaw
3rd December 2002, 07:12 PM
Sorry, Didn't mean to double post but.....

Personality:Can get hot-headed in a battle, friendly and kind.
Description:Wears green shirt, blue vest, black jeans.Brown hair, gray eyes, about 5 ft. 3 in.

Continent:Johto

and I checked my pokemons moves on my pstadium2 and they were all legal.

Operaphantom
3rd December 2002, 07:17 PM
I should have mentioned this slightly earlier, but you will receive a pokemon depending on what class you are.
Ex. Juggler (sounds slightly familar I hope) will get a Voltorb
Medium (will get a ghastly)
Hiker (a rock pokemon)
Bird Lover (bird pokemon) etc.

I'm sorry if that makes you a little sad, but you can catch new pokemon to help you so you can go for the pokemon you want.

Mew Master
3rd December 2002, 07:20 PM
Okay, so this is completely random? Hmm. Okay, let's go then!

Totodile Lover
3rd December 2002, 07:26 PM
Name: Jennifer
Sex: Female
Personality: Dark, Evil, not kind. Rarely shows kindness for others.
Description: yeah I'm going to be lazy like always ;o http://www.absolutely.net/lopez/pic168.htm

100FangCroconaw
3rd December 2002, 07:27 PM
Wahhhhhhhh, that's so unfair!Why do you have to choose our pokemon?

Mew Master
3rd December 2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by 100FangCroconaw
Wahhhhhhhh, that's so unfair!Why do you have to choose our pokemon?

Because he created this RPG and therefore he makes the rules...

Operaphantom
3rd December 2002, 07:58 PM
because a straight team is not necessarily effective. You'll want to experiment with different abilities of pokemon and your own abilities as a trainer.

However you want to make your characters is up to you. Evil or not (evil tending to be more for personal glory than helping the rest of the world). After I post your stats, I'll give a list of classes you can pick from and the type of pokemon they'll get randomly.

A little more about stats. Stats higher than 13 and lower than 8 will have a number after them. it's a modifier for dice rolls. For a lot of actions you'll take in the game it will require a dice roll that I'll post the result of. Ex:
Bob tries to push a rock out of the way. It's a big rock. He'll have to roll less than his strength(12) on a 20-sided dice to move the rock.
He rolls a 9, so he succeeds in moving the rock. Good job Bob.
There's a twist in dice rolling. Depending on whether you're trying to roll high or low a 1 or a 20 on a 20-sided dice (di20) can be a blessing or a curse.
If you're aiming for low (like in the example) a 20 is very very bad, but a 1 is awesome. A bad roll is called a botch. Botches make bad things happen. A good roll is called a Critical. Criticals are very very good. I hope this makes sense with all the dice, I'll explain a roll before you roll it when we start out. *if you have questions give me an email please and I'll help out*

remember you are rolling 3 di6 and in this case, you want high numbers (in most cases you want high numbers, only when rolling directly to a stat, like the strength example, do you want a low number)

Denny's stats:
STR: 9
DEX: 11
STA: 10
CHA: 12
PER: 14 +1
INT: 14 +1
WIT: 10
Possible classes for Denny:
Bird Lover (bird type)
Medium (ghost type)
Juggler (voltorb)
Electrician (electric type)
Channeler (psychic type)
Junior Trainer (normal type)
Bug Catcher (bug type)
Snowboarder (ice type)

Brian's stats:
STR: 10
DEX: 14+1
STA: 12
CHA: 11
PER: 13+1
INT: 10
WIT: 11
Possible classes:
bird lover (flight)
gardener (grass)
pyromaniac (fire)
bug catcher (bug)
biker (poison)
electrician (electric)
swimmer (water)
snowboarder (ice)
Junior trainer (normal)

Jennifer's stats:
STR: 15+1
DEX: 9
CHA: 8
PER: 12
INT: 14+1
WIT: 7-1
possible classes:
electrician (electric)
medium(channeler)
rocket (dark)
Snowboarder (ice)
Junior Trainer (normal)
hiker(rock)
Channeler(psychic)
miner(steel)

Totodile Lover
3rd December 2002, 08:03 PM
gracias amigo for doing th stats, I was worrying we had to do them. Truthfully I'm not anygood with stats. *winches at the memory* anyway.. Heck I'll be a channeler(psychic)*dances* umm anyway, gracias again!

~TL

Mew Master
3rd December 2002, 08:04 PM
ALLLL RIGHT! I'll be a Channeler(Psychic). Uh, do we get to pick what type of Pokémon we get or is that up to the all mighty dice as well?

Totodile Lover
3rd December 2002, 08:05 PM
lol mighty dice, I fear them! Anyway, I have the same question as MM here.

Mew Master
3rd December 2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Totodile Lover
lol mighty dice, I fear them!

Fear the Mighty Dice, For they control your DESTINY!!!!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *cogh* *hack*

I need a losange....... U¬_¬)

Totodile Lover
3rd December 2002, 08:11 PM
LMAO. I must run... For the mice of the future!! and control you destiny.
Jennifer: Mice?
*smacks head* err Dice I mean dice.

~TL

Mystic_clown
3rd December 2002, 09:02 PM
Name: Seperoth
Looks: Looks like Seperoth from Kingdom Hearts (without the wings)
Personality: Evil, Ruthless but a true believer in chivlery.

Operaphantom
3rd December 2002, 10:16 PM
just for future reference, MM... I'm a girl, not a guy. :P :D
But anyway...

Channelers get these special abilites, you might want to write them down, cause I won't write them up again. You are going to be fighting the evil mutant pokemon alongside your own pokemon so you'd better be able to help yourself too. The downside to channelers is they can't wear a lot of armor or carry good weapons.
Special Abilities for the Channeler:

*Foresight (lowers enemy's dexterity temporarily, physical attacks can hit ghosts) RTC 2 (I'll explain RTC at the bottom of the post)
*Future Sight (attack opponent two turns later) damage: di8(eight-sided dice) psychic damage. RTC 2
*Gimmix (ability to move items with telekinesis, it will grow stronger as your character gains levels)

Channeler HP: (for both of you, cause the next few numbers will be the same) 6
Character Level: 1
EXP: 0
THAC0=20 (I'll explain this in a sec)
AC=9

Yes, pokemon are random, I'll roll a di20 to see what type of pokemon you get, then I'll pick one (I'm not that familiar with the pokemon 152-251 or whatever it is now, so most of them will be the original 151)
Denny gets the water pokemon Staryu!
Staryu: level 10
STR 14+1
DEX 11
STA 14+1
CHA 8
PER 6-1
INT 12
WIT 9
*note* stats do not increase with level, only HP does, don't freak out, cause you'll realize the point of that when you level up
Hit Points (HP): 40
THAC0=19
AC=8
Special Abilities for Staryu:
*Bubble (water attack) damage: di6 water RTC 2
*Harden (increases friendly's armor) RTC 3

*note* all pokemon have a physical move, we'll call it strike or whatever, but it's implied, damage is: di6 (you add a STR modifier to whatever is rolled)

Jennifer's pokemon is Gastly!
Gastly: Level 10
STR: 7-1
CHA: 13+1
INT: 15+1
HP: 26
THAC0=20
AC=8
Special:
*immunity to physical...*
*Lick (chance of paralysis) damage: di4 +1(means roll the 4 sided dice then add 1 to the number)
*Acid (chance of poison) damage: di6+1 poison RTC 2
*Hypnosis (chance of sleep) RTC 2

Okay, here's an explanation of all of those things:
THAC0 and AC... (you want these numbers LOW)
THAC0 stands for To Hit Armor Class 0. When you're attacking something with a weapon or trying to hit it with your fists etc. you need to pull out this number. It tells you how likely you are to hit the target. I'll explain what that means in a second.
AC stands for Armor Class. Hmm... could these be related?
Armor Class is the durability of your armor, or how likely you are to be hit. You want these numbers LOW. Cause you want to be less likely to be hit right? And less likely to miss too.
To figure out how likely you are to hit something you need to know your THAC0 number and the enemy's AC number (I'll calculate these for you, so don't worry abou it) but I use this formula:

Your THAC0 - Enemy's AC = To Hit number.

EX: Goldeen is fighting Horsea. Goldeen has a THAC0 of 15 and an AC of 5. Horsea has a THAC0 of 14 and an AC of 6.
Goldeen attacks Horsea. 15-6=9. On a di20 (20 sided dice) Goldeen needs to roll a 9 or higher to hit Horsea. Inversely Horsea needs to roll a 9 or higher to hit Goldeen. (14-5=9)

As you gain levels, your THAC0 will go down. AC also goes down on pokemon, humans have to find armor...

okay, RTC. RTC means Rounds to Cast. Yeah, I know you're not really casting anything... but it's either this or PP. For a RTC 2 skill, you'll cast it the first turn (1), then next turn you attack with it (2) simple enough? Same with RTC3. Cast (1), Cast (2), attack (3).

Okay, I know this is a little odd at first, and a bit to remember, but it's a smooth system when you know how it works. (this is the system they use in D&D and some other pen-and-paper games)
If you have questions email me or reply with them.

Operaphantom
3rd December 2002, 10:21 PM
okay, Seperoth... you might want to check out some of the technical stuff too :-D

Your stats are:
DEX: 12
STA: 15+1
PER: 11
INT: 11
WIT: 9
Your options for classes are:
Miner (steel)
Hiker (rock)
Athlete (fighting)
Junior Trainer (normal)
Rocket (dark)
Electrician (electric)
Gardener (Grass)

Reptilius Pyrus
3rd December 2002, 10:26 PM
Sorry I haven't posted...

Name: Cora
Personality: True Neutral. Heh.

Operaphantom
4th December 2002, 06:37 AM
Cora's stats:
STR: 11
CHA: 9
PER: 11
INT: 12
WIT: 16+2

OKay, your options for classes:
Junior Trainer (normal)
Electrician (electric)
Gardener (grass)
Rocket (dark)
Snowboarder (ice)
Juggler (voltorb)
Medium (ghost)
Bug Catcher (bug)

Operaphantom
4th December 2002, 06:39 AM
I can take one more.

Mew Master
4th December 2002, 08:16 AM
Mmmm THACO Yummy. Opps! Taco.

Oh, BTW: Telekenesis is the ability to communicate with others using your mind. PSYCHOKENESIS is the word you are looking for. Big difference.

I get.... STARYU?! Man, that's a jip. Oh well.....

Denny Roth

Denny's stats:
DEX: 11
PER: 14 +1
INT: 14 +1

Class: Channeler (psychic type)

*Foresight (lowers enemy's dexterity temporarily, physical attacks can hit ghosts) RTC 2 (I'll explain RTC at the bottom of the post)
*Future Sight (attack opponent two turns later) damage: di8(eight-sided dice) psychic damage. RTC 2
*Psychokenesis (ability to move items with mind power, it will grow stronger as your character gains levels)

Channeler HP: 6
Character Level: 1
EXP: 0
THAC0=20
AC=9

Staryu: level 10
STR 14+1
DEX 11
STA 14+1
CHA 8
PER 6-1
INT 12
WIT 9
Hit Points (HP): 40
THAC0=19
AC=8
Special Abilities for Staryu:
*Bubble (water attack) damage: di6 water RTC 2
*Harden (increases friendly's armor) RTC 3

Hmmm, I thought this resembled off-line RPGs with the dice, now I know I'm right....

Reptilius Pyrus
4th December 2002, 01:33 PM
Okey Dokey. Cora's class shall be Rocket, even though she's neutral.....:rolleyes:

100FangCroconaw
4th December 2002, 02:30 PM
I'll be a pyromaniac.Or whatever the fire trainer is called.

Operaphantom
4th December 2002, 07:51 PM
yup, I play several pen-and-paper RPGs, most of which I run, and I made up 3 of them from scratch :-D that and I like this system the best and once the players understand a little of the system and the terms it's a smooth way to play.

oh well it's a technicality, but I call the moving thing gimmix (from changeling) cause it's easier to remember and spell.

Okay, since we will have 4 players ready to go I'm going to start the game tonight, good luck guys!

Special abilities for Pyromaniac:
*Ember (fire attack) Damage: di6 fire RTC 2
*Sunny Day (doubles fire damage for 7 turns) RTC 3

Brain gets a Houndour!
Houndour: Level 10
STR: 16+2
STA: 14+1
INT: 9
HP: 38
THAC0=19
AC=8
Special abilities for Houndour:
*resistance to psychic*
*Beat Up (gains power as level increases/number of healthy pokemon) damage: di4+2 dark RTC 2

Cora's special abilities:
*Faint Attack (always hits) damage: di6 dark RTC 3
*Confuse Ray (confusion) RTC 3

Cora's Pokemon is Shellder!
Shellder: Level 10
STA: 17+2
PER: 8
WIT: 6-1
HP: 49
THAC0=20
AC=6
Special:
*Withdraw (lowers Shellder's AC)
*Supersonic (chance of confusuion) RTC 2

Yu-Gi-Oh
4th December 2002, 08:17 PM
If I can still join...

Name: Cody
Personality: Indifferent about a lot of things
Description: *looks at Ash's clothes* ahem...

Operaphantom
4th December 2002, 08:46 PM
sure, why not, but you're the last one for now...

Stats:
DEX: 13
STA: 14+1
CHA: 16+2
PER: 8
Possible classes:
Pokemaniac (Dragon)
Electrician (electric)
Junior Trainer (normal)
Snowboarder (ice)
Miner (steel)
Gardener (grass)
Medium (ghost)
Bird Lover (flying)
juggler (voltorb)

100FangCroconaw
5th December 2002, 05:24 AM
Oh goody, I get a houndour and I thought that Fire trainers were called firebreathers.

Yu-Gi-Oh
5th December 2002, 02:07 PM
Hmmm, I gues I'll be a Pokemaniac *wishes for Dratini or Charmander*

Operaphantom
5th December 2002, 02:58 PM
Yeah, they are I think, but I was running a blank at the time and the first thing that popped up was pyromaniac.

Pokemaniacs have these abilities:
*Charisma (adds likelihood of a successful confuse, sleep, etc) INHERENT
*Barrier (lowers AC) RTC 3
*Agility (raises attack rate from 1/turn to 1.5/turn) RTC 3

Cody gets Dratini!
Dratini: Level 10
STR: 14+1
DEX: 10
STA: 13
CHA: 15+1
PER: 7-1
WIT: 15+1
HP: 43

*Bind (too lazy to type this) damage Di2 turn RTC Instant
*Barrier (lowers AC) RTC 3

Lion
6th December 2002, 08:22 AM
Doh too late please may I be in sometime? This looks really cool that's all!

Operaphantom
6th December 2002, 05:44 PM
how about you talk to me after the 20th or so when things quiet down in school and I get into the groove for the story and then we'll see about adding you in okay?