PDA

View Full Version : Need help upgrading my GSA!

Jeikobu
1st October 2004, 10:17 PM
I have a GSA v1.2. I installed the program this page (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=444876&postcount=7) gave me the link to (www.datelversions.co.uk/upgrades/ActionReplayGBX_3_3_US.exe). I should have the necessary INF file as there is a "gbalink" file where the page says it should be (except it's drive F, not C). I restarted my PC. My batteries are fresh enough that they should have plenty of juice left to get the job done. I put a USB cable into my GSA, put the GSA in my GBA, and put my Pokemon FireRed game in my GSA. I opened the AR program I just installed, and turned on my GBA. I clicked the "Upgrade" button in the upper right of the screen. It for a couple seconds gives me a message saying it's searching online for updates, but then the message disappears and it acts likes nothing happened. I tried this a few times, and one of the times it said there was an error connecting. What could be the problem?

Jeikobu
2nd October 2004, 04:17 PM
Please, can anyone help me here?

Gagome
3rd October 2004, 05:49 AM
I believe maybe the gbalink.sys driver is not installed into Windows. When you connect the USB cable to your PC and to the GSA and turn on the GBA didn't Windows tell you it found a new USB HW and asked for a directory from which it can install the necessary drivers? You should have then pointed it to the directory where the INF file is located.
You may try to right click on the gbalink.inf file and select install and try again. When the drivers are correctly installed into Windows a gbalink.sys file must be in the directory c:\winnt\system32\drivers or c:\windows\system32\drivers.
Of course, I am assuming you are using Win2000 or WinXP.

Jeikobu
3rd October 2004, 03:21 PM
Ok, I did what you said and the gbalink system file is in the directory (except it's drive F not C). However, when I try to upgrade, the same thing happens.

Gagome
4th October 2004, 05:11 AM
What do you mean by drive F? Is your boot drive F:? Is the gbalink.sys file in directory f:\winnt\system32\drivers?
When you connected your GSA via USB to your PC did Windows ask you for the drivers?

Jeikobu
4th October 2004, 10:29 AM
No, C is. F is the backup hard drive. Yes, the file is in there. No, it did not ask. I connected it, turned on the GBA, and open the Action Replay GBX program. But it didn't pop anything up. I clicked upgrade, it showed a thing saying it was looking for updates online, but only for a couple seconds, then it disappeared and the thing acted like nothing ever happened. Could my firewall and router be blocking it?

Gagome
5th October 2004, 03:45 AM
OK, I have done the upgrade now on my GSA to 3.3 and it works fine. I did upgrade from 3.1 to 3.3. The original upgrade from GSA 1.2 to 3.1 I did several months ago and it worked fine without any problem.

Here are some things you can check:

When you connect the GSA to the PC via USB and switch the GBA on (a game cartridge must be present otherwise it wont work) and the GSA switch is to the left (from the corner to the center) position then some GSA screens should be visible on the GBA. I mean the game doesn't start. You see a menu from the Gameshark.
At this stage start the AR program on the PC.
Then open the Control Panel in Windows and click on System and select Hardware -> Device Manager. Scroll down to the bottom of the device list. There should be an entry "USBIO controlled devices". When you click on the plus symbol of this entry it should display "GBA Link".
If the above is present it proves that Windows has correctly recognized the USB link to the GSA and has loaded the gbalink.sys driver.

If you don't see the above entry than the gbalink.sys driver is not correctly installed into Windows. But I am afraid I am not sure how to solve this. You might select in the Device Manager "View" and activate "Show hidden devices". If you then find a "GBA Link" entry you can right click on it and select uninstall. Then install the whole AR 3.3 program again and try again.

If you see the "GBA Link" entry and it doesn't have an exclamation mark and looks good you can try to upgrade:

Now, in the AR program don't click Upgrade. I think this is only needed if you want to upgrade from the Datel Web Site to a newer version.
Click on the "AR GBX" on the lower left side. The AR program should now start a connection to the GSA and display a message like "Your AR is out of date. Do you want to upgrade it?". Follow the messages and upgrade your GSA to AR 3.3.
It worked for me without any problem.

Jeikobu
6th October 2004, 06:51 PM
Woo-hoo! It upgraded! Thank you so much for your help. I REALLY appreciate it. Now I just need codes for sharking vitamins and making there be like 99 of each. BTW, how do I save my game data on the computer, if you don't mind?

Gagome
7th October 2004, 05:34 AM
For codes you may look at GameFAQ. For example: http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/game/32745.html

For capturing and storing a game save to copy it over to the PC using the AR I don't think it works. Unfortunately the AR only copies 64Kb of the game save. But all GBA Pokemon games use 128Kb save data. So, the save file from the AR doesn't work on the PC in VBA.

You may try yourself. Get an AR snapshot file and import it into VBA. It never worked for me.

ozhater1
11th October 2004, 09:02 AM
I dont mean to get off topic but since you have a gameshark advance v1.2 might you have v1.2 codes for fire red? or are you using it for ruby, sappire, etc.?

edit i realeised that its ruby ur talking about sorry for the inconveinience

CrazyDavidthe1st
5th February 2005, 03:01 AM
I bought the latest action replay gba about half a year ago but my computer wont let me install it as it is on a min cd so i dont have the right drivers aaarghh :mad2: i dont no what to do if anyone has the driver can they please help me by posting it sending me it or someting pleeeeez i need to cheat

Gagome
5th February 2005, 04:22 AM
If I have understood you correctly you are not able to install the drivers because they are on a mini CD? Is your CDROM drive not able to read mini CDs?

Anyway, all you need is the SW posted in the first post of this thread. Download it and install it and you have everything which is on the CD.

Mr.E
10th February 2005, 11:10 PM
1 Lum Rune + 1 Pul Rune + 1 Perfect Emerald + Exceptional Unique Weapon = Elite Version of Weapon (Ladder Only)
This formula changes the base item type from the exceptional to elite version. For example a Cleaver is turned into a Small Crescent. This does NOT convert the item to the Elite Unique version of the Exceptional Unique Item. Unique item bonuses remain the same; only the item it's based on is upgraded. This can be used to upgrade Ethereal Items also. They will continue to be Ethereal after they are upgraded. You cannot do this formula unless you are using a Ladder Character. Also if the item is socketed, then jewels or runes and their mods will also remain.

Try this.

phaedrus
11th February 2005, 03:08 PM
1 Lum Rune + 1 Pul Rune + 1 Perfect Emerald + Exceptional Unique Weapon = Elite Version of Weapon (Ladder Only)
This formula changes the base item type from the exceptional to elite version. For example a Cleaver is turned into a Small Crescent. This does NOT convert the item to the Elite Unique version of the Exceptional Unique Item. Unique item bonuses remain the same; only the item it's based on is upgraded. This can be used to upgrade Ethereal Items also. They will continue to be Ethereal after they are upgraded. You cannot do this formula unless you are using a Ladder Character. Also if the item is socketed, then jewels or runes and their mods will also remain.

Try this.
i think this formula works. the runes are quite expensive though so you might run into a few problems