PDA

View Full Version : Fire Reddish Team.

Xenesis
2nd October 2004, 11:35 AM
Hurrah. I'm building my Fire Red team, and I've decided on Pokemon and stuff, but I still need some advice, mostly for EV and whatnot. Also, a bit of other help will be needed.

In no particular Order:

Tauros - Adamant 252 Attack, ?
Return
Earthquake
Rock Tomb
Swords Dance/Iron Tail/Something

Dragonite
Dragon Dance
Aerial Ace
Earthquake
Flame/Ice Beam/T-Bolt

Banette - Jolly/Adamant 252 Attack 252 Speed 6Hp
Shadow Ball
Will o Wisp
Return
Knock Off/Substitute (If I don't give it to Scizor)

Ampharos - Quiet 252 Special Attack, ?
Thunderbolt
Thunderwave
Hp(Whatever I can get)/Focus Punch/Brick Break/Seismic Toss
Filler

Lapras - ? , 252 Special attack, 128ish Special Defence.
Surf
Ice Beam
Rest
Roar (Need a Pseudohazer...)

Weezing - ?, ?
Sludge Bomb
Fire Blast
Will o Wisp
Explosion/Thunderbolt

Well, that's it.

I don't have many type weaknesses at the moment. The only real problem with this team potentially is the rather physical heavy offence of the team. And the fact that you can only use the substitute move tutor once...

Frikking Ninty...

Oh well. Any help?

Edit:Subbed Draggy for Scizor.
Edit:Found out Tauros can't get Rock Slide ;_;

Xenesis
3rd October 2004, 11:24 PM
Over 20 people have looked at this topic, and none have given any help?

Cmon guys! I want to get onto building this please! :D

PKMN Master
4th October 2004, 01:35 AM
I'm not that good at rating, but you could try some of these suggestions:

Tauros: 252 Att, 252 Speed, 6 Hp

Scizor: If it's physical sweeper, then go the same as tauros... but it's a great baton passer, which would mean 252 HP, 129 Def/SD...

Bannete works great as physical, so you might consider giving it an appropriate Hidden Power...

Amphy: If you go with the mixed sweeper go like 252 Att/SA, but I remember it doesn't have a very good Att, so you might wanna focus on HP or defenses...

Lapras: I would go 252 HP, 129 SA/SD, it has incredibly high HP... and pls, always look for water absorb...

Weezing... Adamant, go with Explosion... the EV split should be 252, 129, 129, but I'm not sure wheter to max out attack or any of the defenses... haven't tried weezy in a while...

and if you haven't started building it, then I would suggest to try it out on NetBattle first...

hope this helps :)

Xenesis
4th October 2004, 03:13 AM
Cheers. It's nice to get some feedback. :D

It's getting there. I've bred some pokemon with various natures and so forth. And Scyther's ready to be trained. As much as he is a good baton passer, I don't really like them.

I guess I should give it a shot on NB. Fun fun fun.

Although, my in game teams tend to be less metagame related, and NB is really metagame heavy, I'll give it a shot. At least Tafop has an 00ber ban now.

I'd go for hidden power on Banette, but getting a good one in game is really not worth it when the pokemon actually has some moveset flexibility. I got a HP-Water magenton with magnet pull at power 66 and a +special attack personality, but that took frikking forever. >.>; I'm not going through that again....

I was actually thinking HP fighting, and my current Jolly Banette has it, but it's too weak to be useful (35 I think). Not going to hurt any darks or normals any time soon.

Yes, I will take Water Absorb Lapras. Much more useful than Shell Armour.

Also, any ideas on the movesets? They're still up in the air, a bit. But I will take Splode on Weezing.

PKMN Master
5th October 2004, 12:30 AM
I know NB is highly standarized, but it might be good to try it out first. It's almost impossible to get the right IVs, personality, Hidden power, so it mighy be more advisable to try some other attacks.

Also, you might wanna consider changing one of your physical sweepers... balance special and physical attackers...

for movesets, I think they're fine. Just add another physical attack to Dragonite... I don't know if it learns taunt, I don't think so, but if it does it'd be great. Also, save up that filler space in amphy for emerald, I believe it'll learn Ice Punch...

Xenesis
5th October 2004, 01:11 AM
I know it's damn near impossible to get the right IV and HP, so I generally just avoid it. Personality isn't too hard, however.

As for Netbattle standards, I do well with non standards and UU. Fear Torkoal and Sharpedo. ;) I'm no stranger to that kind of stuff.

Well, I think I might keep the elements on Draggy, as I do need some more elemental power, and considering that it used to be Scizor, I've gone to more special stuff. :)

I suppose an Elemental Dragonite is an option, but it kinda wastes his good attack, so I'm kinda going for a happy medium with it. Which do you reckon gets more coverage, Flamethrower , Icebeam or Thunderbolt?

As for Amphy, Emerald won't be out here for ages and even when it does, I'm probably not getting it (I only bought sapphire in April). I suppose I could AR it, but nah. And I think it only learns Fire Punch.

I'm considering Subpunch Amphy, but I'm not quite convinced yet. I need to give it a test.

Poryhedron
6th October 2004, 12:27 AM
I suppose an Elemental Dragonite is an option, but it kinda wastes his good attack, so I'm kinda going for a happy medium with it. Which do you reckon gets more coverage, Flamethrower , Icebeam or Thunderbolt?

Since Dragonite does have such a godly attack, I'm going to start with a look at its physical attacks. Earthquake is amazing stuff, so let's focus specifically on what Earthquake doesn't work so well on. Ground-type attacks are resisted by Bug-types and Grass-types, and they're completely ignored by Flying-types and pokémon with Levitate. These, then, are the pokémon we must worry about.

In addition to Earthquake, your Dragonite is packing Aerial Ace (a nice choice since it works off Attack and gets STAB.) Flying-type attacks should cover the Bug-types and Grass-types nicely. That just leaves Flying-type enemies...more specifically, Flying-type enemies who are dual-types able to resist Aerial Ace. Those would be:
Zapdos (ELC/FLY)
Aerodactyl (RCK/FLY)
Skarmory (STL/FLY)
It also leaves pokémon with Levitate who can resist Aerial Ace, who are:
Lunatone (RCK/PSY)
Solrock (RCK/PSY)

Now we can compare the effectiveness of the three special attacks against these five troublesome opponents.

Flamethrower is super-effective against:
Skarmory
Flamethrower is ineffective against:
Aerodactyl
Lunatone
Solrock

Ice Beam is super-effective against:
Zapdos
Aerodactyl
Ice Beam is ineffective against:
...well, none of them.

Thunderbolt is super-effective against:
Aerodactyl
Skarmory
Thunderbolt is ineffective against:
[THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK]

...so, Flamethrower is out of the picture, and the choice between Ice Beam and Thunderbolt seems to come down to the question of who is a greater threat: Zapdos or Skarmory?

Xenesis
6th October 2004, 01:55 AM
My god, I couldn't have hoped for a more in depth answer. You are a legend! :D

While Skarmory in undeniably an incredibly annoying son of a submariner, It's terribly underused in game. I'll only ever see skarmory if I used this on netbattle. Zapdos I would have a much better chance of actually having to battle, so I would say that Ice beam is a better option in game. Also, it gives me the chance to potentially OHKO both Salamence, Flygon and various other dragons which I'm sure I'll run into somehow.

Thanks Poryhedron, that was an awesome post.

Now, one final question, as I think I have a decent idea about the IV...what's a good personality for the dragonite? Admant would be okay, but it would probably hamper the use of Ice beam. Brave would be another option, as I would think that I would be faster than most opponents after a single dragon dance anyhow and definitely after two.

Naughty might be a good choice, as Dragonite is going down after an ice beam, special defence or not...Although, if It was Lonely, considering the many physical resistances, and only one weakness.

Any ideas?

PKMN Master
6th October 2004, 03:34 PM
Since Dragonite does have such a godly attack, I'm going to start with a look at its physical attacks. Earthquake is amazing stuff, so let's focus specifically on what Earthquake doesn't work so well on. Ground-type attacks are resisted by Bug-types and Grass-types, and they're completely ignored by Flying-types and pokémon with Levitate. These, then, are the pokémon we must worry about.

In addition to Earthquake, your Dragonite is packing Aerial Ace (a nice choice since it works off Attack and gets STAB.) Flying-type attacks should cover the Bug-types and Grass-types nicely. That just leaves Flying-type enemies...more specifically, Flying-type enemies who are dual-types able to resist Aerial Ace. Those would be:
Zapdos (ELC/FLY)
Aerodactyl (RCK/FLY)
Skarmory (STL/FLY)
Lunatone (RCK/PSY)
Solrock (RCK/PSY)

Now we can compare the effectiveness of the three special attacks against these five troublesome opponents.

Skarmory
Aerodactyl
Lunatone
Solrock

Zapdos
Aerodactyl
...well, none of them.

Aerodactyl
Skarmory

...so, Flamethrower is out of the picture, and the choice between Ice Beam and Thunderbolt seems to come down to the question of who is a greater threat: Zapdos or Skarmory?
o.0, that's a real post...

Adamant would be the best, but since you're using Ice Beam, that would bring its SA down. I'd go with one of the neutral personalities, but I don't know if you want that 403 attack power... it'll go through the roof after a few DDances anyway, so, it's ok. And that way, you don't get to hurt any other stats, such as SA and SD, or even speed, which would give you an advantage in battle.

:D it's so good to see that someone is using Draggy

Xenesis
9th October 2004, 11:39 AM
Yeah...I've been breeding dratini, for personality, and so far the only +attack one I've had has been brave. I've got TONS of neutral ones though. I think I might have a look at them. Hmm...

Although I normally don't like Neutral personalities, it's a decent Idea in this case.

Cromat
9th October 2004, 02:31 PM

Zapdos (ELC/FLY)
Aerodactyl (RCK/FLY)
Skarmory (STL/FLY)
Lunatone (RCK/PSY)
Solrock (RCK/PSY)

Skarmory
Aerodactyl
Lunatone
Solrock

Zapdos
Aerodactyl
...well, none of them.

Aerodactyl
Skarmory

Great post. I would personally go with Thunderbolt, because Skarmory is one of most used pokemon in the game, and Choice Band Aerodactyl is very common (and dangerous) too. And yes, Dragonite is awesome, and it can take an Ice Beam from Swampert, unlike Salamence. But Gyarados is my favourite DDancer, cuz of Taunt.

Aarkan
9th October 2004, 10:56 PM
But Gyarados is my favourite DDancer, cuz of Taunt.

What about Tyranitar? He can get both of those too.

Xenesis
10th October 2004, 05:44 AM
CB Aerodactyl and Skarmory are only common if you play online. Otherwise, both of them are really quite unpopular pokemon. Thus, why I don't fear Skarmory.

Cromat
10th October 2004, 03:58 PM
What about Tyranitar? He can get both of those too.

Yes, but he's 1) Weak to Earthquake, the commonest move. 2) Needs 2 Dragon Dances to get decent speed. 3) Doesn't have intimidate.

And most importantly my experience with him has been less successful than with Gyarados.

Aarkan
10th October 2004, 04:44 PM
Ahhhh, good to know.
The saving grace on Tyranitar is Sand Stream though. I sure do love that.

PKMN Master
11th October 2004, 01:59 AM
Yes, but he's 1) Weak to Earthquake, the commonest move. 2) Needs 2 Dragon Dances to get decent speed. 3) Doesn't have intimidate.

And most importantly my experience with him has been less successful than with Gyarados.
Hmm, it gets like 330 or so speed w/ one DDance and w/o Jolly, that's decent to me. T-tar gets like 30 extra attack points with one DDance than gyarados... and just as Ttar is weak to e-quake, Gyarados is X4 weak to thunderbolt, another quite common move... and it has STAB for rock attacks... both have pros and cons, and both have worked great for me...

c ya

Aarkan
11th October 2004, 10:56 AM
I guess we need to have a showdown! First turn dragon dance, second turn eq/rockslide WHO WILL GO DOWN FIRST?! Come find out only this SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!