PDA

View Full Version : Urgh...EV Training in Fire Red...

Poryhedron
2nd October 2004, 11:25 PM
I'm training a Spore Swiper Paras (soon to be Parasect, of course.) The problem is, I only know the EP values for pokémon who were in Ruby/Sapphire. For Defense I fought Geodude and Graveler, and Tentacool gave me Special Defense. HP is proving annoying, though. The only pokémon I can meet in the wild in Fire Red that I know give HP EP because they were in Ruby are Jigglypuff, Wobbuffet, Grimer and Phanpy, all of whom are rarer than I want to deal with in EV training.
So, has anyone determined the EP values for the other 186 pokémon?

Xenesis
3rd October 2004, 12:23 AM
Well, here's a decent list:

HP:
1-Wooper (Fire Red)
1-Dunsparce
1-Caterpie
1-Nido Female
1-Slowpoke (Leaf Green)
2-Marill (Leaf Green)
2-Quagsire (Fire Red)

Attack:
1-Ekans (FR)
1-Nidoran Male
1-Paras
1-Mankey
1-Growlithe (FR)
1-Machop

Defence
1-Sandshrew (LG)
1-Geodude
1-Shellder (FR)
1-Onix
1-Exeggute
1-Koffing
2-Metapod
2-Kakuna
2-Graveller
2-Slowbro (LG)
2-Weezing (FR)

Special Attack
1-Gastly
2-Haunter (Easiest EV training location, it seems)
1-Oddish (FR)
1-Magnemite
2-Gloom (FR)
2-Magneton

Special Defence
1-Tentacool
1-Venonat
1-Seel
1-Drowzee
1-Hoppip
2-Mantine (LG)
2-Hypno
2-Tentacruel

If you can't find special defence, I'd be impressed.

Speed:
1-Rattata
1-Spearow
1-Vulpix (LG)
1-Zubat
1-Diglett
1-Meowth
1-Magikarp
2-Pidgeotto
2-Raticate
2-Fearow
2-Golbat
2-Dugtrio
2-Persian

Those are the EV of common pokemon. I'm sure you can find some nice training spots with that.

Aarkan
3rd October 2004, 12:57 AM
I'm pretty sure there's a complete list on Serebii also.

PKMN Master
5th October 2004, 01:02 AM
I'm training a Spore Swiper Paras (soon to be Parasect, of course.) The problem is, I only know the EP values for pokémon who were in Ruby/Sapphire. For Defense I fought Geodude and Graveler, and Tentacool gave me Special Defense. HP is proving annoying, though. The only pokémon I can meet in the wild in Fire Red that I know give HP EP because they were in Ruby are Jigglypuff, Wobbuffet, Grimer and Phanpy, all of whom are rarer than I want to deal with in EV training.
So, has anyone determined the EP values for the other 186 pokémon?
ugh, I'm having a hard time ev training here... the zones I've identified so far are:

the ghost tower for SA, just run away from the occasional cubone... I
've found a really good spot for Attack, where you get the super rod, fish around there, and lots of krabbys and gyarados appear at levels 15-27...
for speed, digglet cave is perfect..
SD, fight drowzees east of vermilion...
defense, either onix or geodude in Rock Tunnel...
and HP is the hardest, I haven't found anything yet...

Xenesis
5th October 2004, 01:14 AM
For HP, why not use the patch on (I think) Three island that only has Dunsparce? The encounter rate is a little low, but a white flute from RS would probably help.

Rudoku
5th October 2004, 10:20 AM
Screw fighting rare wild pokemon, just keep battling the twins on that Route to the left of Lavender Town. They have a Jigglypuff and a Clefairy. There's also a Lass with two Clefairy in her party. They made the VS. Seeker for a reason.

For Speed, I use the Twins on 6 Island, because they carry two Pikachu.

drgntamer
5th October 2004, 02:29 PM
There are some good places with common pokemon also, though. For instance, Route 1 is very good for speed, and the route between fuschia and seafoam islands for special defence. Although your advice on HP is pretty good.... those stupid Dunsparce take forever to find....

Of course, I was happy when I found a shiny one!!!

rinku
5th October 2004, 04:51 PM
For low encounter rate areas, try Sweet Scent/Odor Sleuth.

PKMN Master
5th October 2004, 06:04 PM
Screw fighting rare wild pokemon, just keep battling the twins on that Route to the left of Lavender Town. They have a Jigglypuff and a Clefairy. There's also a Lass with two Clefairy in her party. They made the VS. Seeker for a reason.

For Speed, I use the Twins on 6 Island, because they carry two Pikachu.
It ok with HP... that girl with two clefairys is outside Rock Tunnel's main entrance... also, there's a guy with grimer and muk bewteen lavender and saffron... but for everything else, it's faster to do it in the wild... after you battle them, you have to walk at least 100 steps, and in the appropriate zone, that would mean more battles :p

rinku
5th October 2004, 06:45 PM
Speed is only one consideration - wild training also allows you to capture any shinies you may come across and generally means you generate more steps (i.e. for Daycare experience, happiness and breeding). You also may want to have a brake on experience gained if the trainee is to be trained for a lower level of experience (i.e. L50), which may make repeat Trainers not suitable.

Everyone should choose the method that suits them best at the time.

Cyber Dragon
8th October 2004, 06:44 PM
I've fully EV trained my Articuno in HP by just battling Caterpies. They give only 1 EV, but with macho brace doubling EV's, a bit of patience, and remember how many Caterpies I actually killed, I eventually maxed it out.

I hate EV training, I always lose track of how much I've accomplished. o_O

Mag Launcher
9th October 2004, 01:57 AM
Well, here are some of the places I've seen suggested over at IGN. They work pretty good actually. :)

HP- Dunsparce[1] (Island 3, 100%)

Attack- Paras[1] (B2F of Mt. Moon, 100%)

Defense- Tangela[1] (Route 21(South of Pallet Town) kinda rare though)

Special Attack- Gastly[1]/Haunter[2] (Pokemon Tower)

Special Defense- Tentacool[1]/Tentacruel[2] (Almost anywhere :P)

Speed- Pidgey[1]/Rattata[1] (Route 1)

Poryhedron
9th October 2004, 06:34 PM
Attack- Paras[1] (B2F of Mt. Moon, 100%)
Excuse me? Paras are 100% of the encounters in Mt. Moon's sub-basement? I have no idea who suggested that, but it's about as wrong as calling Caterpie powerful.
For Attack, there are two places I've used. The pond in the back yard of the Fishing Guru's older brother in Fucshia; fish using the Super Rod that you got from the Fishing Guru's younger brother, and you'll catch Goldeen (ATK1), Seaking (ATK2), and Gyarados (ATK2). I also caught Psyduck extremely rarely, and I suppose Leaf Green players would rarely find Slowpoke instead, so if you come across one, run from it. I also had some success in the grass at the north end of Route 23; battle the Ekans and Mankey (ATK1 each) and Arbok and Primeape (ATK2 each) while running from Spearow and Fearow. That area wouldn't work in Leaf Green, though, because instead of Ekans and Arbok you'd be finding Sandshrew and Sandslash.

EngiMatikul
9th October 2004, 06:40 PM
That's not true. THere IS an area where paras is 100% encounterable in Mt. Moon. It's in the pathway between the first floor and third floor, usually with nothing much but maybe like an L shaped map...

Watch out for Effect Spore. :P

EDIT: Sidetrack. "Spore Swiper" sounds intriguing, what ever do you mean by it? :P I really want a good moveset for Paras as I like training bug pokemon.

Poryhedron
9th October 2004, 06:48 PM
That's not true. THere IS an area where paras is 100% encounterable in Mt. Moon. It's in the pathway between the first floor and third floor, usually with nothing much but maybe like an L shaped map...

Watch out for Effect Spore. :P
Okay, that's not B2F. That's B1F. And this would surprise me very much.../Flies to Mt. Moon to check it out/ Wow, it's true. There's nothing but Paras in the small connecting passages. That's insane...why on Earth would they do that? There's no good reason...

EngiMatikul
9th October 2004, 06:50 PM
For all us EV trainers to have an easy way of training evs, of course!

Now kindly tell me what a spore swiper is. :P

Poryhedron
9th October 2004, 06:57 PM
For all us EV trainers to have an easy way of training evs, of course!

Now kindly tell me what a spore swiper is. :P

A Spore Swiper is a pokémon that can use both Spore (Enemy SLP, 100% accuracy) and False Swipe (which is like Scratch except that it can't possibly faint the target; hits that would cause fainting instead leave the target with one HP, even if that was all it had before.) This is a godly combination for catching pokémon, and its value in filling the pokédex should not be underestimated.
There are currently three pokémon who can be Spore Swipers. One of them is Paras/Parasect, and another is Shroomish/Breloom; each learns Spore naturally and can inherit False Swipe from the right father. The problem is that both have Effect Spore; there is a danger of the sleeping pokémon that you just reduced to 1 HP waking up, smacking you, poisoning itself and promptly fainting. It's something you'll just have to live with, though, because the only other Spore Swiper is Smeargle; aside from the difficulty in Sketching Spore (possible but not in any way easy,) Smeargle has very bad stats that make it less effective in catching pokémon.

EngiMatikul
9th October 2004, 07:01 PM
Awww, it's just a pokemon for catching pokemon... :( O well, at least Parasect has some use. XP

*still hasn't finished pokemon FR yet... heck he isn't even halfway done, still just got to Celadon XD XD XD*

Poryhedron
9th October 2004, 07:09 PM
Awww, it's just a pokemon for catching pokemon... :( O well, at least Parasect has some use. XP
/shrug/ Parasect was hailed as the Mewtwo-Killer back in RBY when we didn't have Steel-types and Dark-types. Just raise a Parasect with Leech Life, Spore and TM 03: Swords Dance...use Spore to put Mewtwo to sleep, dance up your Attack and then Leech away. Super Effective + STAB + maxed-out Attack on a pokémon that already has high attack + HP restore to the user = Wow, suddenly Leech Life is actually useful!

EngiMatikul
9th October 2004, 07:12 PM
But with 22.5 attack power it's still pretty damn weak... even with a boosted swords dance :P And who's too say Mewtwo with high Special wouldn't just blow it off in one attack? Eh well, looks like I'm just spamming this place now. >.> Have fun with EVs everyone!

Silent Dragonfly
10th October 2004, 07:52 AM
Defense- Tangela[1] (Route 21(South of Pallet Town) kinda rare though)

Actually Tangela are 100% there now, they were rare in RBY.

Nace
10th October 2004, 09:10 AM
There's nothing but Paras in the small connecting passages. That's insane...why on Earth would they do that? There's no good reason...

I'm guessing for EV training and mushroom stealing purposes. Rather useful IMO

Poryhedron
10th October 2004, 12:13 PM
I'm guessing for EV training and mushroom stealing purposes. Rather useful IMO
Ah, yes. Mushrooms for the Move Maniac. Forgot about those. I don't consider EV Training a reason for Nintendo to put 100% Paras there because their target audience doesn't know EVs from TVs.

Aarkan
10th October 2004, 02:01 PM
When I was there I remember rooms with only clefairies as well. No more insane rarity for those two in Mt. Moon anymore...

Silent Dragonfly
10th October 2004, 03:44 PM
When I was there I remember rooms with only clefairies as well. No more insane rarity for those two in Mt. Moon anymore...

What? Clefairy are extremely rare. 1% of 1F encounters and 6% of B2 encounters. You must have been really lucky to only run into clefairy.

andyizcool
10th October 2004, 03:47 PM
You must have been really lucky to only run into clefairy.
Or hack the game like someone who kept running into Shiny Chansey holding a Lucky Egg in the Safari Zone.

Aarkan
10th October 2004, 04:43 PM
/shrug, I remember one room with real low encounter rate but all I got was clefairy. I've never even touched a GBA Gameshark or Action Replay.

rinku
10th October 2004, 05:31 PM
Okay, that's not B2F. That's B1F. And this would surprise me very much.../Flies to Mt. Moon to check it out/ Wow, it's true. There's nothing but Paras in the small connecting passages. That's insane...why on Earth would they do that? There's no good reason...

Yes there is - effort training, just like we've been discussing.

Poryhedron
10th October 2004, 07:34 PM
That's insane...why on Earth would they do that? There's no good reason...Yes there is - effort training, just like we've been discussing.
I direct you to my last post here:

I don't consider EV Training a reason for Nintendo to put 100% Paras there because their target audience doesn't know EVs from TVs.

rinku
10th October 2004, 08:37 PM
I direct you to my last post here:

Sorry, update lag was to blame. When I replied the post I quoted was the most recent one showing. Had the following half-dozen messages come through I'd not have bothered to post.

However, I'd disagree that they would not stock mono-effort routes for the reason you give. A core feature of the Advance effort system is to reward those players who *do* know how it works. Might only be a significant minority, but that significant minority do appreciate routes where only one type of effort is obtained.

Sceptile_Master
19th October 2004, 10:35 AM
What rinku said ^_^

Also it seems like I will have to trade a few kecleons over to fire red, for theifing puposes mwaha, saves you the TM. hahahahahahaha