PDA

View Full Version : Need something to replace the electric type.

CAMountainSnake
26th October 2004, 11:10 PM
As you can tell by my sig, I have a Manectric on my Ruby team. My proposed Jolteon will have almost the exact same moveset, and they even LOOK similar. Can anyone suggest a replaacement Pokemon, not necessarily an Electric, but anything.

andyizcool
27th October 2004, 05:24 AM
You need to get rid of your 3x Ground weakness so it's a good idea replacing Manectric. What are the Jobs of your other Pokemon and maybe their Movesets? Knowing this will help us decide what kind of Pokemon you need adding onto your Team.

CAMountainSnake
27th October 2004, 07:24 PM
I may not have made myself clear enough, but I wish to replace the Jolteon.

Charizard@???
Flamethrower
Fly(for STAB)
Sunny Day
Earthquake

Exeggutor@Left Overs
Psychic
Leech Seed
Solar Beam/ Giga Drain
Sleep Powder/Explosion

Primeape@Scope Lens
Cross Chop
Rock Slide
Focus Energy
Seismic Toss

Marowak@Thick Club
Bonemarang
Swords Dance
Double-Edge
???

Lapras@???
Ice Beam
Surf
Confuse Ray
Body Slam

rinku
27th October 2004, 08:04 PM
Perhaps Brick Break as the 4th move on Marowak?

As to the 6th member...

What about Magneton? Not as speedy as Jolteon, but a lot more durable (both are hopeless against Ground attacks anyway). In terms of the FRLG Elite 4, it's resistant to Ice, Ghost, Normal, Psychic and Dragon, while being immune to Poison and practically immune to Flying. Your team covers Bruno nicely already, so it sits that stage out. T-wave takes care of its Speed problems in any case.

Thunderbolt
Metal Sound
Thunder Wave
Tri Attack/HP special/Return/Hyper Beam (i.e. something to cover Electrical resistance)

CAMountainSnake
28th October 2004, 03:03 PM
I like your suggestion, and I appreciate your comments. However, I really do not want an Electric type at all. Anything else that would work as well?

rinku
28th October 2004, 04:58 PM
Well, I can't really see any major holes in your 5-team. What about Gyarados? I just defeated the E4 and rival with an understrength, underoptimised team* and the one pokémon that pulled my butt out of the fire every time was my in-game, travelling Gyarados with:

Strength
Surf
Rock Smash
Dragon Dance

It practically took the rival's team apart single handed (at L53 even).

It's a hell of tough customer (except against Electric of course. It should always have a Ground type as a team-mate). The above moveset can easily be improved, but I didn't want to waste TMs at the time. Something like:

Return
Surf
Earthquake
Dragon Dance

Is very solid. If you can get it, HP-Flying is an OK swap for Return.

(*The team was: L46 Mr. Mime, L53 Gyarados, L52 Venusaur, L47 Dragonair, L47 Graveller, L43 Raichu. Yeah, I know.)

CAMountainSnake
29th October 2004, 12:30 AM
I'm thinking of slapping Thunderbolt on a Tauros or Persian. Any thoughts?

rinku
29th October 2004, 01:08 AM
Tauros has a lousy Special Attack, so I'd not bother. Persian is more viable, but still only has a modest SA. If a T-bolt wielding Normal is your aim, go with Clefable or Wigglytuff as they have the SA to make it work, as well as very useful movesets. Clefable would be my pick - Cosmic Power is hard to pass up...

CAMountainSnake
29th October 2004, 01:34 AM
I don't know, I really wouldn't feel comfortable using either of those. Clefable and Wigglytuff are just too...cute. Would a :094: work with the right moveset? I've never used one before, what moves would be good. I would definitely want Shadow Ball for its STAB of 120.

andyizcool
29th October 2004, 05:12 AM
I don't know, I really wouldn't feel comfortable using either of those. Clefable and Wigglytuff are just too...cute. Would a :094: work with the right moveset? I've never used one before, what moves would be good. I would definitely want Shadow Ball for its STAB of 120.
Gengar@Leftovers
Substitute
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Focus Punch

This is the McGar and makes a great Skarmbliss counter. Credit to McGraw for inventing this great Moveset.

CAMountainSnake
29th October 2004, 02:47 PM
Thanks for everybody's help, I think I found my replacement.

rinku
31st October 2004, 05:29 PM
Yep. Gengar is definitely a good one for non-STAB electric since it has such a high SA and speed. Triple immunity (Normal, Fighting, Ground) does not hurt a bit...

And not cute. At all.