PDA

View Full Version : PSP information...

RedStarWarrior
27th October 2004, 07:32 PM
According to a recent CNN report, Sony will release the Playstation Portable or PSP for short at a much lower price than original estimates. The current estimated release price: $186. Initial estimates were around $300 and this is much lower. Is it still worth it? I may still buy it, but I still favor the Nintendo DS, especially after Sony tried to pass the blame for the poor battery life to game developers. Also, the screen remains unprotected and the only solution Sony has come up with is some (ugly) carrying case. This is a good thing, though, as I was going to buy both anyway. Atleast it will cost me a lot less.

Here is a link to another source: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20041027-4353.html

When released in Japan this December, the PSP will be accompanied by 21 games, including Metal Gear Acid and a Need for Speed Underground title. The majority of games, including three Mahjong ones, will probably not be released in March, 2005, along side the PSP in its North American debut.

The official Sony release for the game titles is here: http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/rel...df/041027ce.pdf
You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to see the release.

Razola
27th October 2004, 09:52 PM
I'm still going with the DS right now. I'm not in it for the MP3s and movies, and I can always count on Nintendo to deliver.

RedStarWarrior
27th October 2004, 10:34 PM
I agree completely. I just figured that people might want to know this shit.

Red Angel
27th October 2004, 11:54 PM
4-6 hours for games? And I have to buy a Memory Stick on top of all that? And no demo? Yep, going for DS. I might wait 'till we get some worthwhile games, though. The launch is looking weak now. And yes, I know Mario is there, and no, I don't like Mario.

Adz44
31st October 2004, 02:39 PM
I was pondering over getting both of them for a while, but I probably won't now. I've realised it probably wouldn't be worthwhile. I spend more time on my PC and consoles than on my GBA SP (well, my sister's...I sold mine before the price-drop) . I don't even find the time at college these days, because me and some of my classmates play Doom over three computers at break times. So yeah, I'm a bit of a stranger to handheld gaming at the moment.

Greyfox
28th November 2004, 01:00 PM
The only thing keeping me from purchasing the DS is the lack of fundings. I guess quitting my job was a pretty bad idea, eh?

fat man with a monkey
15th December 2004, 10:35 PM
I don't see a post about this, so: The psp nearly sold out on its first day in japan. On cnn, when they had the bit about this, they showed the PSP's graphics. They amazed me. All that I'd seen in magazines, internet, and such were muddy, dark graphics. Not what I saw on CNN. The graphics were clean, sharp, and crisp. Link to cnn story. (http://www.cnn.com/2004/BUSINESS/12/13/japan.sonypsp.reut/index.html) Any responses?

Razola
15th December 2004, 11:09 PM
Hardware-wise, the only problem I had was battery life, game medium (mini-discs), and layout (no screen cover and analog stick placement seems a bit funky).

My real problem is that this is a portable PS2, and I'm not sure what's going to really make this a must buy in terms of games. The GBA is already a dumping ground for 3rd parties, and you can bet that for the remainder of the PS2's life you'll be seeing a fair amount of dual releases for the PS2 and PSP. The SNES ports on the GBA were a fair amount, and it's way too easy and tempting to make a few bucks with ports of old PS2 titles.

Why be creative when a GTA3 remake will make just as much cash?

youdontknowme
16th December 2004, 01:13 AM
I don't know much about the PSP so... how's it supposed to play movies? Through the memory stick? If not, then a UMD? If so, what are the odds of movie producers making UMD movies just for the PSP?

Razola
16th December 2004, 02:17 AM
Movies are played through the UMD, and I've heard that very few, if any, distributers are producing UMD versions of their movies.

I knew from the start that no one was going to buy a second, portable version of their movies. They would have to be really cheap. Not to mention the problem with storage size and battery life. Movie greater than X minutes? Sorry, no can do.

Simply put, Sony is going to have to put out some sort of burner for the PSP and just make money off the blank discs. I mean, if movies are bad, music is even worse. With downloading becoming more and more rampant, who the hell is going to buy "special" versions of their music that can only be played on one device?

GreenShirT
17th December 2004, 08:40 PM
A new problem with the PSP is that certain games drain the battery more than others. Ridge Racer limits you to 2 and a half hours battery time. Did the same people design this as designed the N-Gage, I think they might have... :P

Roy Karrde
17th December 2004, 09:06 PM
A new problem with the PSP is that certain games drain the battery more than others. Ridge Racer limits you to 2 and a half hours battery time. Did the same people design this as designed the N-Gage, I think they might have... :P

I just wanted to point out that so far from what I have seen this is not true, Gamespot did say that they believe that Ridge Racers would cut the battery power in half. Yet testers and numerous other websites have said that Ridge Racers with regular sound, medium lighting * High hurts the eyes * and no WiFi has atleast 6 hours of battery power which is just two hours under the DS battery life. So far the Battery life hasnt been a problem, the only real problem has been defects with some PSPs but that should be corrected by the US release date.

The Muffin Man
17th December 2004, 10:38 PM
I just wanted to point out that so far from what I have seen this is not true, Gamespot did say that they believe that Ridge Racers would cut the battery power in half. Yet testers and numerous other websites have said that Ridge Racers with regular sound, medium lighting * High hurts the eyes * and no WiFi has atleast 6 hours of battery power which is just two hours under the DS battery life. So far the Battery life hasnt been a problem, the only real problem has been defects with some PSPs but that should be corrected by the US release date.

Wasn't it already brought up that the testers who found the battery life INCREDIBLY short(about 6 hours max) had zero light, zero sound, no wi-fi, and were playing card games?

Something tells me you're putting too much belief in Official Playstation Magazine :P

Roy Karrde
17th December 2004, 10:41 PM
Wasn't it already brought up that the testers who found the battery life INCREDIBLY short(about 6 hours max) had zero light, zero sound, no wi-fi, and were playing card games?

Something tells me you're putting too much belief in Official Playstation Magazine :P

Lol nah I'm just reading the stuff from Gamespy and the Gamespot board from people that have it. The games do seem to have a max life of 6 hours but the light was on medium and the sound up. If you wish I could show you some links if you want. Anyway I would focus on loading times man if you want to go after the PSP since the reviews have come out about the battery life and have shown that it is pretty good. On the other hand the load times can range from 8 seconds * Card games * to 30 seconds * Vampire fighter * when the game is first loaded.

PNT510
18th December 2004, 12:05 AM
6 hour battery life is still shitty. And according to IGN it was only 6 hours for the card game.1 1/2 hours to 3 hours for ridge racer, depending on your settings I am assuming.

Razola
18th December 2004, 03:09 AM
Six hours is only tolerable if the battery is the same as the SP and DS. I would be giving Nintendo grief too about the DS's battery life, but since I'm saving tons on batteries I'll let them off the hook.

I forgot about load times. Bah, I much prefer my handheld games to be pick up and play.

phaedrus
18th December 2004, 12:15 PM
I thought Nintendo had put the time to put some Lithium Ion battery in the DS like the SP.

Hm.

PSP still blows.

Razola
18th December 2004, 01:48 PM
Uh, the DS does have the Lithium Ion Battery.

.hacker
18th December 2004, 02:18 PM
I want the PSP because the graphics appear to be superior to the DS. Screenshots for the PSP's Ridge Racer appear to have better graphics than the screenshots for the DS's Ridge Racer. Also, I am much more into movies and music than a lot of people.

I know that the PSP is bad for three main reasons:
1. The screen is unprotected.
2. Battery life is awful.
3. Nintendo has always dominated the handheld market.

However, IMO, the DS's two screens feel gimicky... I am not sure why I feel that way...

youdontknowme
19th December 2004, 01:03 AM
Also, I am much more into movies and music than a lot of people.Are you willing to buy UMD's for your movies and music?

Which leads me to this question:
If the PSP can play music, how will it play it? Memory stick? UMD?

Razola
19th December 2004, 01:30 AM
My guess is that the PSP will use memory sticks for music, since no one is going to buy mini-CDs for music.

Heald
19th December 2004, 04:27 AM
A bit off-topic, but I've noticed from lurking in forums that all the Nintendo fanboys are going 'The PSP sucks' and all the Playstation fanboys are going 'The DS sucks'.

Are both systems even out yet?

Crazy
19th December 2004, 08:49 AM
The DS is out now. I am getting three games for it for Christmas.

(1)Super Mario 64 DS
(2)Madden NFL 2K5
(3)Asphalt Urban GT

All are quite cool. Plus if the DS has a rehcragable battery then I'm in heaven.

Jeff
19th December 2004, 09:44 AM
In Japan: DS and PSP
US: DS
everywhere else: neither

and yes, the DS is rechargable :D

MetalScyther
19th December 2004, 07:43 PM
I'm leaning towards the PSP because GT4:Mobile looks freakin awesome. And I also hear the battery life is now up to 6 hours, which isn't good but not as bad as I thought it would be.

DS so far looks interesting, but not worth the $150 yet. The only game I'd play for it is Super Mario 64x4(or whatever its called), and I'm not willing to spend $150 on top of what the game costs to play it.

How much do DS games retail for? $40?

PNT510
19th December 2004, 09:49 PM
DS games cost as much as GBA game $30-40

Razola
20th December 2004, 12:24 AM
Are both systems even out yet?
The DS hit the States the week of Thanksgiving (the last week of November), and while the PSP recently launched in Japan, it keeps getting delayed for a US release. Last date I heard was March 2005.

Coolest possible DS game I can think of is an FPS where the top screen is First Person, and the bottom is a 3rd person view. It would control exactly like a platformer shooter while offering the accuracy of the first person, making for the perfect blend of both genres.

The top three DS games I'm looking forwards to are Mario 64 DS, Metroid Prime Hunters, and Advance Wars DS.

Crazy
20th December 2004, 09:57 AM
Advance Wars DS? I have the other two games and I like them both. When will this game come out?

phaedrus
20th December 2004, 10:46 AM
The DS hit the States the week of Thanksgiving (the last week of November), and while the PSP recently launched in Japan, it keeps getting delayed for a US release. Last date I heard was March 2005.

Coolest possible DS game I can think of is an FPS where the top screen is First Person, and the bottom is a 3rd person view. It would control exactly like a platformer shooter while offering the accuracy of the first person, making for the perfect blend of both genres.

The top three DS games I'm looking forwards to are Mario 64 DS, Metroid Prime Hunters, and Advance Wars DS.
i have the ultimate idea for that:

JET FORCE GEMINI DS

that's right. great game resurrected. oh wait...did Nintendo sell them too? :(

PNT510
20th December 2004, 05:54 PM
Jet Force Gemini DS still has a chance of coming out even though I do belive rare still owns the rights to the franchise, because rare still makes GBA games.

phaedrus
20th December 2004, 07:05 PM
Jet Force Gemini DS still has a chance of coming out even though I do belive rare still owns the rights to the franchise, because rare still makes GBA games.
sweet 8)

Razola
20th December 2004, 09:49 PM
Since THQ is publishing Rare games for the GBA, I don't see why they couldn't do it for the DS.

Roy Karrde
21st December 2004, 09:21 AM
IGN did a hard battery life test of the PSP here are the results.

Ridge Racer: Full Brightness, Full Sound, no WiFi
3 Hours 32 Minutes
Add a extra hour to a hour and a half for medium Brightness and Sound which would bring the time up to around 5 hours

Heavy UMD Gameplay test: Full Brightness, Full Sound, no WiFi
5 Hours 9 Minutes
Add a extra hour to a hour and a half for medium Brightness and Sound which would bring the time up to 6 to 6 and a half hours.

Sleep Mode: Screen Off, Audio Off, WiFi Off
24 Hours +
Sleep mode is the nifty little feature which activates when your battery runs out or you can activate it when ever you want, what it does is pause the game your playing or movie your watching and you can continue the game or movie from that point when ever you turn sleep mode off.

WiFi Local, Ridge Racers: Full Brightness, Full Sound, WiFi on
2 Hours, 46 Minutes
Add a extra hour to a hour and a half for medium brightness and sound which would bring the time up to 3 hours to 4 hours.

MP3 Playback: No Screen, Full Sound, WiFi Off
10 Hours, 39 Minutes
I would add a extra thirty minutes when brought down to medium sound, yet still almost 11 hours for a MP3 player is pretty good.

Overall no one will use Full Brightness and Sound unless your in a extremly loud area like the Mall while in a Pitch black area becuase every tester has said that Full Brightness usually hurts the eyes when in a lit area. So the only thing that I would think you would use it for is when your riding in a car during the night, or when your in your room late at night with all the lights in the house off.

As for the link to the test here you go: http://psp.ign.com/articles/574/574557p1.html

Edit: The DS runs on what would be considered minimum brightness on the PSP which is the third and lowest brightness setting out of the three that can be used on the PSP, so to run it with the same brightness as the DS you could add around 2 hours to all those numbers.

.hacker
21st December 2004, 08:19 PM
Edit: The DS runs on what would be considered minimum brightness on the PSP which is the third and lowest brightness setting out of the three that can be used on the PSP, so to run it with the same brightness as the DS you could add around 2 hours to all those numbers.

Nintendo seems to have a reputation of building handhelds with low brightness these days (remember the first GBA?). I thought Nintendo would have increased the brightness. Or could this indicate a redesign for the DS? With Nintendo, I wouldn't be surprised...

The Muffin Man
21st December 2004, 08:44 PM
Nintendo seems to have a reputation of building handhelds with low brightness these days (remember the first GBA?). I thought Nintendo would have increased the brightness. Or could this indicate a redesign for the DS? With Nintendo, I wouldn't be surprised...

...Do you honestly listen to yourself? The GBA SP didn't have crappy lightning and I've spoken to people who tell me the lights about the same strength.

Also, I've been hearing 9 different things all over the net. From the PSP having crap battery life on everything but lowest lighting, sound off, no wi-fi with a card game to the battery life not being so bad at max brightness, full sound, no wi-fi.

.hacker
21st December 2004, 09:05 PM
...Do you honestly listen to yourself? The GBA SP didn't have crappy lightning and I've spoken to people who tell me the lights about the same strength.

I was talking about the first GBA, which I had clearly stated in my previous post.

The Muffin Man
21st December 2004, 09:10 PM
I was talking about the first GBA, which I had clearly stated in my previous post.

My point is the DS and the GBA SP have the same light strength, so your point about it sucking is pointless.

Roy Karrde
21st December 2004, 09:54 PM
Also, I've been hearing 9 different things all over the net. From the PSP having crap battery life on everything but lowest lighting, sound off, no wi-fi with a card game to the battery life not being so bad at max brightness, full sound, no wi-fi.

Well you can put the rumors to rest, I really know of no other more reputable gaming website than IGN, possibly Gamestop but all they did was make assumptions on the battery life while IGN actually tested it until the system was dead. I believe the reason why there are so many rumors floating around is becuase the system did come with some "Test Power" where the battery was only partially charged, you could play the system for about a hour out of the box, and then you would have to charge it. After charging it this time you would get the full battery power.

Edit: No the system was a non stop full run, basically they were seeing how long you could play it if say you were on a long trip with no battery adapter. I would assume that as you said turning the system on and off would take a few minutes off those numbers.

Powarun
21st December 2004, 09:57 PM
Muffin Man, if I am not mistaken isn't teh GBASP front lit and the DS back lit, or something like that. I notice that graphics on teh DS for GBA games is much better than for GBA games on the SP, and I was told that the light flushed out some of the sharpness. The PSP's battery life may seem a bit long, but did the survey count when you turn the system on and off, that can drain the battery life too.

PNT510
21st December 2004, 10:41 PM
It's true that GBA games look better on the DS, I don't the graphics look any sharper, the colors just don't look washed out like games on do on the SP

Razola
22nd December 2004, 03:11 AM
Well you can put the rumors to rest, I really know of no other more reputable gaming website than IGN,
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

*whew*

...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The Muffin Man
22nd December 2004, 12:58 PM
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

*whew*

...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yeah I had a good laugh too.

Hey, at least he didn't say EA is one of the best developers. I think you'd laugh yourself to death.

Roy Karrde
22nd December 2004, 01:07 PM
Well I appologise for not saying something with Nintendo in it's name, or maybe Spooge, since it always seems to report Pro Nintendo news like the "Megaton" but in reality IGN and Gamestop or two of the top gaming websites on the net and usually are the first to get information and news. If you dont believe the numbers that is fine, go back and read the pro nintendo websites info that the PSP will fail horribly and that it isnt out selling DS when it comes to games. Yet anyway the numbers speak for themselves no matter where they came from.

The Muffin Man
22nd December 2004, 01:16 PM
You're STILL claiming that IGN is a top gaming site?

Well look at it this way, Roy. EA makes Madden games every year. Literally. Since like 1995 or something. Does that mean Madden games are the best games ever? I mean, the numbers don't lie do they?

No. They do lie. Because braindamaged ****twits(not you specifically) are all over IGN. The only site worse than IGN for game related news is probably gameinformer.com...

BTW - Before you ask I get links from numerous members on the Penny Arcade forums. There's such a huge gathering of different interests that I can weed the false crap from the truth.

Roy Karrde
22nd December 2004, 01:20 PM
You're STILL claiming that IGN is a top gaming site?

Well look at it this way, Roy. EA makes Madden games every year. Literally. Since like 1995 or something. Does that mean Madden games are the best games ever? I mean, the numbers don't lie do they?

No. They do lie. Because braindamaged ****twits(not you specifically) are all over IGN. The only site worse than IGN for game related news is probably gameinformer.com...

BTW - Before you ask I get links from numerous members on the Penny Arcade forums. There's such a huge gathering of different interests that I can weed the false crap from the truth.

Well we could continue this stupid fight if you want, and I could go on and post the site numbers for Penny Arcade vs IGN or Gamespot and we could see which one gains a higher number of traffic. But in reality this topic is supposed to be about the PSP and how good it is actually selling in Japan along with a myrid of other things, so why not lets keep the gaming site argument out of it okay?

PNT510
22nd December 2004, 06:49 PM
Well we could continue this stupid fight if you want, and I could go on and post the site numbers for Penny Arcade vs IGN or Gamespot and we could see which one gains a higher number of traffic. But in reality this topic is supposed to be about the PSP and how good it is actually selling in Japan along with a myrid of other things, so why not lets keep the gaming site argument out of it okay?
What the ****, seriously dude, are you retarded? Just because ign is more popular than penny-arcade doesn't make them right and penny-arcade wrong.

Roy Karrde
22nd December 2004, 06:57 PM
What the ****, seriously dude, are you retarded? Just because ign is more popular than penny-arcade doesn't make them right and penny-arcade wrong.

Nor did I say that Penny Arcade was right and IGN is wrong, all I am saying is that IGN has time and time again proven themselves as a top gaming website no matter how many idiots they have on their message board. I mean hell if they werent a top gaming website then they wouldnt be popular correct? Damn guys is it that bad that the PSP may possibly have a medium to okay battery life that you have to put down the website that tested it? Hell I could put up another website that says the PSP has even better battery life.

PNT510
22nd December 2004, 07:52 PM
Nor did I say that Penny Arcade was right and IGN is wrong, all I am saying is that IGN has time and time again proven themselves as a top gaming website no matter how many idiots they have on their message board. I mean hell if they werent a top gaming website then they wouldnt be popular correct? Damn guys is it that bad that the PSP may possibly have a medium to okay battery life that you have to put down the website that tested it? Hell I could put up another website that says the PSP has even better battery life.
Couple of things here, They do not have to be a top gaming site to be popular. Like mentioned before thats like saying EA makes great games because they are the #1 publisher in the world.

Second off. The specs you posted weren't medium to okay battery life to me. They were pretty bad. Medium to okay is the DS. Great is the original gameboy(20-25 hours).

And finally I am not even trying to put down IGN. I like IGN, I have an insider account. You just sound like an idiot in the way you were defending it.

Roy Karrde
22nd December 2004, 08:03 PM
Couple of things here, They do not have to be a top gaming site to be popular. Like mentioned before thats like saying EA makes great games because they are the #1 publisher in the world.
Well if EA had the largest sells numbers and sold 3 - 4 million per game then yes they would be the #1 Publisher in the world when it comes to Video Games. Yet to compare a website's traffic and information to a Game Company is insane seeing how there is almost no real connection you can make.

Second off. The specs you posted weren't medium to okay battery life to me. They were pretty bad. Medium to okay is the DS. Great is the original gameboy(20-25 hours).

Seeing how the system is measuring 6 Hours+ when most of the time it is streaming from a CD while all the DS and Gameboy had to do was pull information from a cartrage I would say that that is pretty good battery life. In reality the PSP has around a hour or less battery time than the DS, and yet the battery is the main thing people use in a argument against the PSP. If anything both systems are recharagable and there is no real situation where you would be playing the system for 6 - 7 hours straight. Hell most people sleep and work as much or less than that.

And finally I am not even trying to put down IGN. I like IGN, I have an insider account. You just sound like an idiot in the way you were defending it.

Again I am not defending the website I am defending the numbers, if you have any information to disprove those numbers than show it. If you have another website that is as popular and repurtable amoung the gaming public as Gamespot and IGN that has a different battery life test than IGN's than put it up. Until then saying that I sound like a idiot for saying that the two websites have provided us a long history of gaming information and that they shouldnt just be disproven is retarted.

PNT510
22nd December 2004, 08:23 PM
Well if EA had the largest sells numbers and sold 3 - 4 million per game then yes they would be the #1 Publisher in the world when it comes to Video Games. Yet to compare a website's traffic and information to a Game Company is insane seeing how there is almost no real connection you can make.

The connect is EA is the #1 publisher in the world sales wise, but it doesn't mean they have the best games. They just sell the best.

Seeing how the system is measuring 6 Hours+ when most of the time it is streaming from a CD while all the DS and Gameboy had to do was pull information from a cartrage I would say that that is pretty good battery life. In reality the PSP has around a hour or less battery time than the DS, and yet the battery is the main thing people use in a argument against the PSP. If anything both systems are recharagable and there is no real situation where you would be playing the system for 6 - 7 hours straight. Hell most people sleep and work as much or less than that.

From the tests IGN showed PSP doesn't have 6 plus hours. It has 3 plus hours. It looks like most games will run between 4-6 hours. Seeing as how they DS runs at about TWICE that. It has a much better battery life. And I play games 6-7 hours. Not all the time, but I do it often enough to where a 4-6 hour battery life would bug me.

Again I am not defending the website I am defending the numbers, if you have any information to disprove those numbers than show it. If you have another website that is as popular and repurtable amoung the gaming public as Gamespot and IGN that has a different battery life test than IGN's than put it up. Until then saying that I sound like a idiot for saying that the two websites have provided us a long history of gaming information and that they shouldnt just be disproven is retarted.
IGN and Gamespot also have a long history of posting thing that aren't always true. THe only example I can think of off the top of my head is Gamespot played a MMORPG for a couple of hours. And then gave the game a shitty review. There is no way they can give a proper review on a game that size after a few hours.

Roy Karrde
22nd December 2004, 08:59 PM
From the tests IGN showed PSP doesn't have 6 plus hours. It has 3 plus hours. It looks like most games will run between 4-6 hours. Seeing as how they DS runs at about TWICE that. It has a much better battery life. And I play games 6-7 hours. Not all the time, but I do it often enough to where a 4-6 hour battery life would bug me.

~To correct you the game that was 3 Plus, was Ridge Racers running at full power, even you should know that when you have brightness up to maximum with the sound blaring it will take a larger drain on the battery. Looks at the GBA SP it has a larger drain on the battery life when the sound is up to full and the brightness is on compared to when you have no brightness on and low to no sound. Hell I wouldnt be surprised if DS' power level droped to the four hour range if the system has any other setting than what on PSP would be labeled as "Dim" and be the lowest setting out of all of them. Now is there a way to prove that? No becuase Nintendo only placed one lighting setting on the DS while the PSP has three, each of which would cause a variation of battery power. Now on the other hand the DS runs on average 8 hours, that is two hours more than the PSP with most of the PSP's games so do say that the system has bad battery life, when there is at most a two hour difference and maybe less if you bring the PSP down to DS' low brightness level and sound. By the way, you shouldnt really have a problem with battery life if you play the PSP at 6-7 hours * You would probley have to recharge it *, you would only have a problem with the battery if say you were playing a game in the dark with the brightness on high.

IGN and Gamespot also have a long history of posting thing that aren't always true. THe only example I can think of off the top of my head is Gamespot played a MMORPG for a couple of hours. And then gave the game a shitty review. There is no way they can give a proper review on a game that size after a few hours.

Okay IGN and Gamespot graded a MMORPG after a couple of hours of play, that is one reviewer out of a team of what 12? Besides that has nothing to do with the information I posted. I posted information pretaining to a full run battery test that they did, something most websites have not done yet. Now as I said if you can find any information at all from another full run battery test of a PSP that contredicts the informations then please post it. Until then you have no real counter argument to the numbers.

Edit: Btw this will be the last time I post reguadring this issue until some one can do something to disprove these numbers other than posting pointless "IGN Suxorz" posts that have nothing to do with the numbers.

The Muffin Man
22nd December 2004, 11:42 PM
Okay IGN and Gamespot graded a MMORPG after a couple of hours of play, that is one reviewer out of a team of what 12? Besides that has nothing to do with the information I posted. I posted information pretaining to a full run battery test that they did, something most websites have not done yet. Now as I said if you can find any information at all from another full run battery test of a PSP that contredicts the informations then please post it. Until then you have no real counter argument to the numbers.
So you're just ignoring the dozens of sites pooring in info that the PSP had a poor battery life? From what I can tell, IGN said "Nope the PSP is amazing!". Yet about 9 other sites said "Nope, PSP has shitty battery life" and THEY'RE the liars? Please. And don't even try to tell me a seperate biased site is a good way to do reviews. Because obviously an IGN Cube reviewer will say Metroid Prime 2 is better than Halo 2, but the IGN Box reviewer will probably say the exact opposite. Just because you have an equal bias doesn't make you UNbiased.

Edit: Btw this will be the last time I post reguadring this issue until some one can do something to disprove these numbers other than posting pointless "IGN Suxorz" posts that have nothing to do with the numbers.

So lemme see. "Until someone can disprove my opinion, I will just assume I'm right and pretend I won the argument."

Popular opinion is that IGN sucks because they post biased news and rumors to get hits. It's just like Serebii.net...

Roy Karrde
23rd December 2004, 12:07 AM
So you're just ignoring the dozens of sites pooring in info that the PSP had a poor battery life? From what I can tell, IGN said "Nope the PSP is amazing!". Yet about 9 other sites said "Nope, PSP has shitty battery life" and THEY'RE the liars? Please. And don't even try to tell me a seperate biased site is a good way to do reviews. Because obviously an IGN Cube reviewer will say Metroid Prime 2 is better than Halo 2, but the IGN Box reviewer will probably say the exact opposite. Just because you have an equal bias doesn't make you UNbiased.

No I am saying that IGN is right becuase they are the only ones at the moment that have actually ran the PSP on a full test, I have yet to see another website that has done that yet. The only thing close to this that has been published is Gamespot saying that they assume that the PSP would only have around 90 minutes of power while running Ridge Racers. Now people can assume things for as long as they like, just like many websites around assume things about the PSP battery life, but until they back it up with numbers as IGN has then all that is is a assumption and should only be taken with a grain of salt. Now what I cant get is how reviews even got into this argument, the original statement was about battery life? Anyway I said I wasnt going to get into this again but TMM's stupidity some how brought me in, anyway I'm off to bed.

Razola
23rd December 2004, 02:46 AM
First off: Numbers only prove advertising strength. Penny-Arcade forums have so much less bullshit than the corporate sites I just stick with them for news these days. I do go to IGN and Gamespy, but I can smell their bullshit and only rely on them for some news. I c an go on about things like how IGN will praise the design of the battle courses in Mario Kart and then, the very next week, bash the hell out of the same damn course for being uncreative. Their reviews have no consistency, and their reviewers are faceless and generic. I can discuss how in their PSP vs. DS they gave the PSP the win despite the fact that DS won the really important areas like games. Then there's Gamespy, which has its half-assed reviews that bounce between positive and negative you'd think the reviewers are bipolar. Not to mention both are trying to be commercial shills by not only trying to charge us for news and early reviews, but making the rest of us endure a mountain of ads in each page.

And don't play the damn fanboy card: I'm tired of it. I have a Gamecube and an X-Box, and if I was made of money I'd get a PS2. But there currently IS a bias against the Gamecube, since Nintendo dares to go against the EA philosophy of image over substance. I can't say style because, damn it, the new Prince of Persia certainly isn't what I would call "style." If the same would happen to the other consoles I'd be there to defend them.

Oh, and IGN does constantly resort to yellow journalism for hits. Megaton announcment from Nintendo, anybody?

EDIT: Other gaming sites I go to are PlanetGamecube, Eurogamer, and Evil Avatar. PGC is just a nice source of consolidated Nintendo information, as is Evil Avatar (only on a broader scale). Eurogamer has some very well written reviews.

EDIT2: If this conversation continues, I'm going to split the topic. Posts are getting big, and that'll dilute the PSP talk.

PNT510
23rd December 2004, 05:46 PM
No I am saying that IGN is right becuase they are the only ones at the moment that have actually ran the PSP on a full test, I have yet to see another website that has done that yet. The only thing close to this that has been published is Gamespot saying that they assume that the PSP would only have around 90 minutes of power while running Ridge Racers. Now people can assume things for as long as they like, just like many websites around assume things about the PSP battery life, but until they back it up with numbers as IGN has then all that is is a assumption and should only be taken with a grain of salt. Now what I cant get is how reviews even got into this argument, the original statement was about battery life? Anyway I said I wasnt going to get into this again but TMM's stupidity some how brought me in, anyway I'm off to bed.
Reviews were brought into it because you were talking about the sites reputation, and you have to look no further than IGNs reviews to see their word isn't very good.

Powarun
23rd December 2004, 08:08 PM
Um, with all due respect to the guy who said the Orginal Gameboy had a good battery life, wouldn't you expect that from a system holding 4 batteries.

What were the ratings for the opening gmaes for the PSP? And how much are teh games, anyway, I heard around $50, which is a bit pricey.

PNT510
23rd December 2004, 08:21 PM
So what if the original gameboy had 4 batteries, they shoulda made the PSP a little bit bigger than so its battery life could be 24 hours then.

The Blue Avenger
23rd December 2004, 08:41 PM
I want to point out that a handheld should have a decent battery life, otherwise the constant charging will limit its portability. What's the point of watching movies on a PSP if you have to stay at home, watching them while the system is plugged in?

Crazy
23rd December 2004, 09:50 PM
I have owned(sold the PS2 for a Xbox) all three of the game consoles. So don't say I am biased when I say this. Sony has always had a large problem with not focusing on games and instead throws in all of this extra useless stuff. Handhelds don't need a DVD player built in it. Especially when it affects the battery life. I think that they do this to draw you away from the fact that the games really aren't as impressive as the brag about. I think the PSP will suck due to the horrible battery life caused by an uneccessary attatchment. Smoke and mirrors is Sony's way,and because of that people will buy it.

youdontknowme
24th December 2004, 12:20 PM
Looks at the GBA SP it has a larger drain on the battery life when the sound is up to full and the brightness is on compared to when you have no brightness on and low to no sound.It isn't exactly "fair" to compare a GBA SP to a PSP since the SP uses 2 AA's and the PSP uses a lithium-ion...

youdontknowme
24th December 2004, 12:30 PM
Um, with all due respect to the guy who said the Orginal Gameboy had a good battery life, wouldn't you expect that from a system holding 4 batteries.Note that way back then, technology was not as great as today's. It drains more battery power than today's technologies.

I have owned(sold the PS2 for a Xbox) all three of the game consoles. So don't say I am biased when I say this. Sony has always had a large problem with not focusing on games and instead throws in all of this extra useless stuff. Handhelds don't need a DVD player built in it. Especially when it affects the battery life. I think that they do this to draw you away from the fact that the games really aren't as impressive as the brag about. I think the PSP will suck due to the horrible battery life caused by an uneccessary attatchment. Smoke and mirrors is Sony's way,and because of that people will buy it.
Amen to that.

Razola
28th December 2004, 12:53 AM
So what if the original gameboy had 4 batteries, they shoulda made the PSP a little bit bigger than so its battery life could be 24 hours then.
The problem isn't size, it's the fact that it uses a disc drive to play games and whatnot. To keep the disc spinning takes up a lot more juice than a cartridge.

PNT510
28th December 2004, 10:12 AM
I meant if you make the system a bit bigger, you could make a bigger battery.