PDA

View Full Version : [Preview] Episode 376 (AG 100) – Tokusane Gym! Lunatone & Solrock!

Dogasu
28th October 2004, 07:47 AM
I didn't see a thread for this episode anywhere, so I decided to make one. Hope I'm not overstepping any boundaries here or anything...

This is the first Gym Leader battle I've been able to see since I came to Japan in March. It'll also be the last one I'll get to see here. Anyways, here's the bullet points:

-Rei, Fuu and Ran's mother, is acting as the referee for the match. She explains the rules of the double battle, explaining about the special field that they're in. The field has mock-ups of all the planets floating freely in the air, creating obstacles that wouldn't be there ordinarily. Fuu and Ran start by choosing Solrock and Lunatone. Satoshi instantly chooses Pikachu and, after thinking about how it would be good to have an aerial fighter against these particular foes and in this particular field, he chooses Ohsubame.

-Outside, Team Rocket plots to steal Lunatone and Solrock. They launch into a Boss Fantasy, in which they imagine him being sad in the dark. Suddenly, Solrock and Lunatone arrive, filling the room with light. An ecstatic Sakaki, donning a top hat and suit, begins to dance happily as the two pokemon continue shining light on the Team Rocket boss. After the fantasy concludes, Musashi and Nyasu happily rush off to the Gym to begin, but Kojirou stops them. He explains that both Solrock and Lunatone are psychic types, so they'll be more difficult than usual to capture. Nyasu says not to worry as he tells them his plan...

-Back at the gym, the battle begins. Solrock uses Tackle on Pikachu, hitting the mouse pokemon. Lunatone uses Tackle as well, hitting Ohsubame. Now it's Satoshi's turn. He orders Pikachu to use Quick Attack on Solrock and tells Ohsubame to use Peck on Lunatone. As Pikachu charges into its attack, Solrock floats out of the way, causing Pikachu to crash into one of the floating planets. The same thing happens with Ohsubame--it charges toward Lunatone, Lunatone dodges, and Ohsubame crashes right into a floating planet. Pikachu falls down, and soon after Ohsubame lands on it. Things aren't looking too good for Satoshi.

-Fuu and Ran are now ready for the next attack. Solrock is told to use Solar Beam while Lunatone is told to use Ice Beam. The two attacks combine and are headed right for Pikachu and Ohsubame, who are still reeling from their last defeat. Suddenly, the two beams stop in midair! Satoshi wonders what happens, and soon he sees Fuu and Ran arguing amongst themselves! They’re blaming each other for their mistakes, which is keeping them from continuing the battle. Satoshi sees this as his chance, so he orders Ohsubame to use Aerial Ace on Lunatone. The attack hits! Pikachu is also ordered to attack, so it hits Solrock with an Iron Tail attack. Fuu and Ran notice that their pokemon are getting beaten while they quarrel, so they both rejoin the battle and order their pokemon to use Tackle attack on Pikachu. Pikachu is about to be sandwiched by the two psychic pokemon, but it is rescued when Ohsubame swoops in and scoops it up. Lunatone and Solrock crash into each other, which causes Fuu and Ran to begin arguing again.

-As the twin Gym Leaders blame each other for their constant blunders, the ground starts to rumble. Suddenly, a hole is blown into the roof, and Musashi and Kojirou appear! The two Team Rocket members ride in on a flying sun and moon, and they perform their motto like some weird opera duo (I loved it when they said their names..."Musashiiiiiiii~~~~~~~! Kojirooooou~~~~~~!") The motto ends with the roof caving in even more, and we see a giant robot, piloted by Nyasu! Nyasu tells the group that this mecha has been designed specifically to capture Lunatone and Solrock! Ran complains about the battle field being ruined, so Fuu and Ran send out their pokemon to attack. The Team Rocket mecha fires two round cages (think of the cages used to catch the three legendary birds in the second movie) at the pokemon, capturing them both. Lunatone and Solrock are ordered to use Psychokinesis, but the attacks are being absorbed by their cages! Team Rocket laughs at their futile efforts as the mecha makes its escape.

-Satoshi and the others start chasing after, and they are able to keep up until they get to the cliff where Team Rocket has parked their giant Nyasu balloon. Team Rocket attaches the mecha to the blimp, and soon the robot is seen dangling from the hot air balloon as Satoshi and the others arrive on the scene. Satoshi orders Pikachu to use Thunderbolt, but the mouse pokemon's attack isn't able to reach. So, Satoshi has Pikachu jump on Ohsubame and has them chase Team Rocket that way. Musashi and Kojirou look worried, but Nyasu tells them not to worry as he presses a button, causing the robot to fire yellow globs at the two pokemon. Ohsubame presses through as Pikachu uses Thunderbolt on the mecha, causing it to release the two pokemon (they're alright, though, because they're both rock-types). The newly-freed pokemon are told to use Psychokinesis on the robot, crushing it into a small cube. The mecha explodes, and Team Rocket is sent blasting off again.

-Now that everyone's safe, Ran complains about the gym field being destroyed. Rei suggests that they just have the battle there, on the cliff that Team Rocket took off from, and everyone agrees that this is a good idea.

---commercial break---

-Rei announces the start of the battle! Pikachu uses Thunderbolt on Solrock, but Lunatone slides in front of it and guards it with Reflect. The attack hits Pikachu, smashing it into a rocky cliff. Takeshi comments on how much better their combination has gotten since the Team Rocket battle.

-After Pikachu recovers, it is ordered to hop on Ohsubame's back. The now-airborne Pikachu uses Thunderbolt on Solrock, but the same thing that happened before happens again--Lunatone reflects the attack right back at it. However, this time both Pikachu and Ohsubame are hit. Fuu and Ran know that Pikachu will be alright, but they're surprised to see that Ohsubame doesn't seem to be affected as well, considering that it's a flying type and all.

-Next, Ohsubame is ordered to use Double Team, surrounding Solrock and Lunatone. The two psychic types fly back to back as Fuu and Ran gauge the situation. Solrock uses Solar Beam while Lunatone uses Ice Beam as the two pokemon spin around, sweeping the air and taking out all the shadow Ohsubame and Pikachu. Soon they're all disposed of, and Fuu and Ran are confused about the whereabouts of the real Ohsubame and Pikachu. Suddenly, they see the two pokemon flying from above, ready to strike! Solrock and Lunatone are ordered to quickly whip up a Solar Beam and Ice Beam combination, hitting Satoshi's pokemon! The pokemon start plummeting toward the earth, but Ohsubame is able to recover quickly enough and swoops up to safety in the knick of time.

-Ran tells Satoshi that he'll never break through their combination as the young trainer wonders how he'll win. He notices some clouds forming overhead, and suddenly he has an idea. He tells Pikachu to use Thunderbolt on the clouds, confusing the Gym Leaders. Soon, the clouds spit back a streak of lightning, directly hitting Pikachu and Ohsubame. Pikachu is being supercharged by the lightning, but what about Ohsubame? It's doing fine as well, and after the shock of electricity the two pokemon appear to be covered in a golden coat. Satoshi is ready to attack.

-The now super-powered Ohsubame uses Quick Attack, so Solrock fires a Solar Beam attack on it. Ohsubame and Pikachu are hit, but they just ignore it and power on through. Lunatone tries an Ice Beam, but its attack is just as futile. Golden-Pikachu uses Iron Tail on Solrock while Golden-Ohsubame uses Aerial Ace on Lunatone. Both super-powered attacks hit, and as the pokemon’s golden power-ups fade the two rock-type pokemon faint! Rei announces that Pikachu and Ohsubame have won the battle! Satoshi goes to hug his two pokemon and receives a shock from the two. Guess they're still a little supercharged from their battle...

-After the battle, Fuu and Ran do the standard "give Satoshi a Gym Badge during a sunset" scene. As Satoshi proudly holds the Mind Badge up, the narrator announces that he only has one badge left before the Houen League!

The golden-type power-up at the end of the battle seemed too deux ex machina-ish for my tastes, but otherwise it was a nice battle episode. I hope the eighth Gym Battle (whoever it's against) doesn't pull this "a bird type is somehow superpowered by a shock of electricity" type of nonsense.

Characters (in order of appearance):
Rei=Tate & Liza’s mother
Fuu=Tate
Ran=Liza
Satoshi=Ash
Ohsubame=Swellow
Sakaki=Giovanni
Musashi=Jessie
Nyasu=Meowth
Kojirou=James

AKA Pokemon Fan
28th October 2004, 10:12 AM
Wow... a bit of an unusual gym battle.

It mostly sounds great, but my criticisms include:

I don't particularly like it when Ash gains an advantage in battle because the previous arena was destroyed (i.e he couldn't have gotten Pikachu and Swellow super-charged on the original field). However, given that Fuu and Ran were losing the match in the original field due to lack of cooperation, it evens things up a bit (i.e they would have lost in the first field if they hadn't struggled to get their Pokemon back from TR).

And I kind of wish that the whole Double Team scene had been what led up to the victory instead of the clever but failed attempt that it was. Usually when one of the group's pokemon is shown using a move for the first time it is successful, even if it is shown as one they didn't just now learn (what that true here?)

Question: Was Pikachu using Double Team as well or did Swellow simply somehow drape Pikachu in its own Double Team? Or was that not addressed?

<><><>

And actually Dogasu, in a way it makes sense that Swellow could get powered-up from electricity. It's ability is Guts, which causes its attack power to rise by 50% if it suffers a status ailment. If that lightning strike partially paralyzed it then it would get a power boost. Pikachu of course would get the boost from absorbing a lot of the lightning, probably helping to keep Swellow from being knocked out (though since it learns moves like Endure, Swellow wouldn't have needed it necessarily) since even Ash's Swellow takes damage from electricity, it just is able to resist and push through the effects more than most Flying types. :yes:

Not to mention that Swellow are so fast that even when under the paralysis status they can often move faster than Pokemon like Solrock and Lunatone.

Dogasu
28th October 2004, 10:44 AM
Question: Was Pikachu using Double Team as well or did Swellow simply somehow drape Pikachu in its own Double Team? Or was that not addressed?

I don't think the dialogue addressed it, but you do see Pikachu get cloned just like Ohsubame, so I think you're supposed to figure that it's draped in the Double Team. Remember, at this point, Pikachu is riding on its back, so any attacks that would physically move Ohsubame from one place to another (like Double Team, or Quick Attack) would take Pikachu right along with it.

And actually Dogasu, in a way it makes sense that Swellow could get powered-up from electricity. It's ability is Guts, which causes its attack power to rise by 50% if it suffers a status ailment. If that lightning strike partially paralyzed it then it would get a power boost. Pikachu of course would get the boost from absorbing a lot of the lightning, probably helping to keep Swellow from being knocked out (though since it learns moves like Endure, Swellow wouldn't have needed it necessarily) since even Ash's Swellow takes damage from electricity, it just is able to resist and push through the effects more than most Flying types. :yes:

I guess so, but I don't think they addressed that in the dialogue. I could be completely wrong, but I doubt the anime producers would have something like that go by without explaining it on-screen. I think most kids' first reactions would be "Pikachu getting super-charged I can understand, but Ohsubame!?", necessitating the explanation you just gave.

Animelee
31st October 2004, 10:01 PM
I finally saw it. I hate being sick/tired...

I was groaning at the Team Rocket mecha part, because I was hoping the entire episode would be dedicated to Satoshi's Gym battle, but whatever. Other than that, it was kickass. The writers semi-acknowledging O'osubame's Guts was a nice touch, and when they came out of the clouds "golden", I gasped. It was pretty badass.

Glad that this episode had no flaws in the animation. I hope that the terrible animators from AG 093 and AG 098 are being re-trained.

Hanada Tattsu
8th November 2004, 10:54 PM
Finally - Pikachu and Swellow - Pokemon that don't do anything. Finally he put Grovyle, Corphish, and Torkoal away and used different Pokemon - this goes for Pikachu more so than for Swellow. Pikachu has only blasted off tr lately.. no major gyms.

V Faction
9th November 2004, 06:47 PM
Finally - Pikachu and Swellow - Pokemon that don't do anything. Finally he put Grovyle, Corphish, and Torkoal away and used different Pokemon - this goes for Pikachu more so than for Swellow. Pikachu has only blasted off tr lately.. no major gyms.

Swellow had its time back at Fortree and when it was learning Aerial Ace. I love the bird dearly, but even I thought this was a bit much. And Pikachu... well, I don't think it doesn't do anything, that's for sure. I'm also shocked that you think Torkoal and Corphish are overused.

Hanada Tattsu
12th November 2004, 06:30 PM
I didn't say that they were overused - I just said that in comparsion to Swellow and Pikachu - they are used more than them.

V Faction
12th November 2004, 07:49 PM
But.. They aren't. Corphish perhaps lately, but definitely not Torkoal. That thing is lucky to get out once in a while.

Hanada Tattsu
13th November 2004, 11:29 AM
Well, I stand corrected. At least about Torkoal. Thanks VFaction.