PDA

View Full Version : Hey n00b! Pidgey can't learn Extreme Speed!

Orion
28th October 2004, 01:34 PM
OK, since I'm seeing an unussual amount of inactivity in the Writer's Lounge, I've brought you an almost interesting topic to discuss. It came to my attention after I used such in my fic, and I wanted to know your opinion on it.

It's about custom moves on Pokémon at Fics. No, not made-up Moves. I mean moves that Pokémon can't learn regularly in the games in any form or way. Neither through Level Up or TM or Breeding. I mean moves that a given Pokémon will never learn on its own.

I did this with one of the main character's Pokémon in my Fic, and I've seen this before in some other Fics. Like in LTL when Lisa's new Caterpie (Or Metapod.) used Smokescreen, if I can remember. Not sure if it was a typo, but this was interesting.

Now, the point is: do you like custom moves used by Pokémon? As always, I like variation, and custom moves are a form of it. They add some special feeling to certain Pokémon. Now, of course it must be done well, like with Fakemon. Don't throw in a move the Pokémon wouldn't ever learn just for the sake of it! There must be SOME kind of reason behind the Pokémon knowing such move. It's not as if it knew the move ever since it was born, because the move is not natural.

Also, the custom moves must have some logic or reason for the performing Pokémon to know it. I'd hate it if I ever saw an all-powerful Magikarp on any Fic that knew a move of every Type. That's just nonsense. It must have some back-up as of why the Pokémon knows a move that it wouldn't naturally learn.

Well, I just wanted to see what do you think of this. Hopefully this lives up the place a wee bit.

Yay! 1000 Posts... again. Bad TPM for pruning...

Iveechan
28th October 2004, 02:09 PM
Like you, I only like custom moves if they make sense and are not overused. By overused, I mean I read one fic where I swear EVERY Pokemon knew Agility, and Agility was used a ton to not only increase speed but to evade moves. But I could easily see a Pokemon like Vileplume using Vine Whip or Shiftry using Magic Leaf.

Chris 2.1
28th October 2004, 02:14 PM
Definitely! New moves like that are a strong sign of creativity. I think Pokemon whose main atribute is speed should be able to train to learn Extremespeed, as it's a beefed up quick attack/agility.

I like reasonable ones, but things like Koffing learning sacred fire, or Spearow learning aeroblast are a little silly.

Dragonfree
28th October 2004, 02:35 PM
*blushes* Well, I not only keep to moves that the Pokémon can naturally learn, but also the levels at which they learn them. I'm just too much of a gamer to completely break their rules.

On the other hand, I do make Pokémon use techniques that aren't actual Pokémon attacks with a name. Take Charmander in The Quest for the Legends... he didn't know Ember at the start, but he could attack with fire all the same, just by slamming his tail flame into the opponent.

Of course, if this were the R/B/Y days where Lickitung couldn't learn Lick, I would look past that because not being able to use it is just illogical. It's more like that with me, really - only if it's illogical for a Pokémon not to be able to use a move, I'll tweak the games. Otherwise not.

Whisper in the Wind
28th October 2004, 04:05 PM
I like to allow stuff like that. If it's got teeth, it can bite, if it's got vines/whips/tentacools, it can use vine whip, stuff like that. So yes to the stuff that makes sense, no to the illogical stuff.

Just curiousity, shouldn't this be in Poll format?

Orion
28th October 2004, 04:48 PM
Just curiousity, shouldn't this be in Poll format?

Yep, but I forgot to add the poll before pressing the "Post new thread" button. My bad.

Great opinions everyone. Keep'em coming.

mr_pikachu
28th October 2004, 11:04 PM
Usually I don't even notice it in other fics, because I don't check a Pokedex with every move to make sure the Pokemon can learn it. I'm not quite that obsessed, people. ;)

However, whenever I want a Pokemon to use a move that is an actual move in the games and anime, I look up an online Pokedex to make sure it can learn it in at least one of the games in some way. I'm a perfectionist in that way, though I don't necessarily expect others to follow the same rules as I do.

If I did bother to check, though, I would probably prefer that the Pokemon be able to learn the move, so that the writer could show an ability to adapt to each Pokemon's individual capabilities rather than adding new ones. I could see some leniency though for some examples. I honestly wouldn't mind a Mew with any move, just because of the legend behind it. You know, it's the root of the family tree of all Pokemon, therefore it has the characteristics and moves of all of them... Because of that, I wouldn't even mind it knowing Sacred Fire, or something. Well, maybe that's over the top, but you get the idea. ;) And Smeargle's a given when it comes to exceptions. If the trainer's ever even seen Lugia, Smeargle could know Aeroblast.

But that's beside the point, since I usually don't even check that sort of thing. It's not a big point for the fic, IMO.

dratinihaunter13
29th October 2004, 03:37 AM
I usually, just about always, make an effort to keep to moves the pokemon can learn. I don't mess with levels because I just can't be meticulous enough with it and refrain from errors. I like to keep to some rules just so things don't get out of control. a world needs rules or else it can start to get cheap. as for common sense moves, like the bite thing onimusha mentioned, of course i'd make exception for those :sweat4:

Gavin Luper
29th October 2004, 04:15 AM
Normally I like to generally follow the moves that you would expect those pokémon to know logically. Of course sometimes it's fun to create new moves or give different pokémon some new powers, even though I do this rarely. Bugs are an example ... I feel so sorry for Caterpie and Weedle that I give them a lot more power than they probably deserve (see the level 81 Weedle in LTL for more detail; he did Pin Missile, Reflect, Mirror Coat and Safeguard, among his acrobatic displays).

Personally, I enjoy the kind of creativity that different moves involve.

Captain Pringle
29th October 2004, 05:40 AM
I actually did check a pokedex while writing my fics, and always made sure that the pokemon in my fics were only using moves that they were able to learn. I agree with mr_pikachu that writers should "adapt to each Pokemon's individual capabilities rather than adding new ones." For me, sticking to a pokemon's defined set of moves forces me to be creative and makes my battle writing better. There have been several times where I've just gotten kind of stuck while writing a battle... but rather than be just adding a move in to make the battle easier to think up and write, I sit there and thing (like a trainer would) how the pokemon can use its current moveset to accomplish what it needs to.

In fact, with my two first person POV fics, Michael's Pokemon Journey and The Emerald League, a lot of those mid-battle paragraphs that described Michael's/Bryce's train of thought were basically my thought process put down on paper. And that's actually what a lot of readers have said they enjoyed about both fics, so it seems to work nicely. And as dh said, "a world needs rules or else it can start to get cheap." Very true.

PancaKe
31st October 2004, 02:21 AM
"a world needs rules or else it can start to get cheap."

(i kno dh said that but i quoted from ceep's post so yeah deal with it lol.)

^ agreed.

I tend not to actually state specific moves when I write. Altho its been ages since I wrote, and although LVH (my actual last proper fic) had like, not that many pokemon battle scences, I tend just to describe the moves, and what they're doing, rather than have the trainer yelling out at the pokemon. I tend to make pokemon more independant when using them. In lvh, one bit where fury is fighting, sal just lets her fight, without instructing her, yet the other pokemon full needs tellin what to do *shrugs* I think it's just my writing style however.

but it's kinda stupid and doesnt really fit in if a fire pokemon suddenly sprays water. If it's logical then it works. *shrugs*

Gavin Luper
31st October 2004, 03:09 AM
If it's logical then it works.

^seconded :D

I want LVH back! Lol ... are you still working on your new stuff or are you drifting like me still?

Ahhhh the memories....Sal was awesome....

Cheers! [/random]

PancaKe
31st October 2004, 03:39 AM
I'm trying to come out of major writers block. fifty half first chapters lie across the folders of my computer, as I struggle iwth it lol :) I'm trying to do a fic, but I can get the plot lined out on paper and that is all.

mistysakura
31st October 2004, 04:24 AM
When I write Pokemon battles (believe it or not, I do), I try to stick to what the games have given me. No apparent reason. But I don't mind if writers give Pokemon attacks they wouldn't be able to learn normally. Learnable attacks, unlearnable attacks, they're all the same to me. As long as they add to the battle, don't make a Pokemon super-powerful and are logical (no fire-breathing Weedles, thank you very much), I think they're fine. But I think that sticking to the game's Pokemon's attacks differentiates a Pokemon from others of its type, if you get what I mean (chances of that are slim, considering I don't get it myself). Kinda like what mr_pika and CP said.

Gavin Luper
31st October 2004, 06:45 AM
I'm trying to come out of major writers block. fifty half first chapters lie across the folders of my computer, as I struggle iwth it lol :) I'm trying to do a fic, but I can get the plot lined out on paper and that is all.

Oh my God. You're not a Pancake! You're ME!