PDA

View Full Version : Gengar?

CAMountainSnake
29th October 2004, 02:48 PM
I want a moveset for Gengar that stays away from Substitute. Any ideas for a Gengar with Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt?

rinku
31st October 2004, 05:50 PM
Gengar's Special Attack is heaps more than its Attack, though a STAB Shadow Ball is still worth it. Dream Eater is a sneaky option for use vs Rest types (as is Nightmare), or in 2v2 with a team-mate who can put people to sleep... or if you really want to go with Hypnosis. Gengar's immunities can make this work better than usual. However, it really is a great Special Sweeper; I'd go with:

Thunderbolt
Psychic/Giga Drain
Shadow Ball/Night Shade
Confuse Ray/Destiny Bond/Spite/Taunt/Double Team

Taunt can be great for preventing them using Foresight or Odor Sleuth to allow tham to tag you with Normal moves (Gengar doesn't have to worry too much about Fighting & Foresight as its Poison type makes it resistant. But immune is better than resistant).

GirlRepellant
31st October 2004, 08:51 PM
After Thunderbolt and Shadowball, it's really personal preferance. I enjoy Focus Punch, since it's unexpected. But really, whatever. Your call.

rinku
31st October 2004, 09:55 PM
It's worth pointing out that Psychic & Thunderbolt will do much more damage than Focus Punch on Gengar, other things being equal. Mind you, things are rarely equal... FP would be better against a Grass/Dark, for example.

Comparison:

Psychic/T-Bolt: Base 95 power, 130 base SA = 12350
Focus Punch: Base 150 power, 65 base Att = 9750
Shadow Ball: Base 80 Power, 65 base Att, STAB = 7800

Iveechan
1st November 2004, 09:00 AM
Focus Punch is used soley for Blissey, who laughs at special attacks.

rinku
1st November 2004, 04:05 PM
Fair point, though it still takes Gengar two hits to KO Blissey. And if Blissey has Psychic (and let's face it, if not, why not?) Gengar won't even get one Focus Punch in, even if it survives the hit. The best move Gengar has in this situation is Destiny Bond, IMHO.

GirlRepellant
1st November 2004, 04:17 PM
How does one get Substitute onto Gengar?

andyizcool
1st November 2004, 04:30 PM
How does one get Substitute onto Gengar?
One of the Pokemon FR/LG Move Tutors.

WaterTrainer
2nd November 2004, 12:25 AM
Here's an evil moveset for Gengar...
Curse
Hypnosis
Nightmare
Dream Eater

Basically this moveset depends on hypnotizing the foe, so Pokemon with Vital Spirit and Insomnia might be able to K.O. Gengar

Xenesis
2nd November 2004, 12:55 AM
The only problem with that set is that not only does hypnosis have crap accuracy, you've got nothing to trap them with to make either curse, nightmare or dream eater to be useful.

rinku
2nd November 2004, 04:03 PM
Mind you, you don't really need to trap for the Hypnosis/Dream Eater/Nightmare set to be useful unless they have a Aromatherapist/Heal Beller to bring out.

I'd suggest replacing Curse with an offensive move - Psychic or Thunderbolt are popular. Probably the latter if you have Dream Eater.