PDA

View Full Version : A bit of confusion...

starjake
2nd November 2004, 04:38 PM
OK, I had a question about EV's. To ask it correctly, I'll use an example.

On a certain site (more than one probably), it says that Charizard's max HP is 360. Does this number include a full 252 EV's? In other words, does someone EV train in order to reach that 360, or are those EV's added onto that 360 (this is assuming that Charizard has max genes for HP)?

*re-reads question*

*head spins*

*looks for easier way to pose question*

*fails*

Oh well, hopefully someone will understand what I'm trying to ask.

Aarkan
2nd November 2004, 04:46 PM
When a site says the maximum of a stat it means with a +nature (where applicable) 252 ev's in it and IV of 31.

It means the maximum possible stat on that pokemon ever period.

starjake
2nd November 2004, 04:55 PM
OK. So Charizard's HP will NEVER be anything more than 360, no matter how many EV's I pump down it's poor throat (at least according to what I read online).

Rudoku
2nd November 2004, 05:05 PM
OK. So Charizard's HP will NEVER be anything more than 360, no matter how many EV's I pump down it's poor throat (at least according to what I read online).
Yeah, and FR Deoxys' Defense and Special Defense will never reach 160, ever.

andyizcool
2nd November 2004, 05:11 PM
Yeah, and FR Deoxys' Defense and Special Defense will never reach 160, ever.
With Max IVs, 252 EVs, and a +Defence/Special Defence Nature Deoxys on Pokemon FR could reach 152 Defence/Special Defence so close to 160 but not exactly.

starjake
2nd November 2004, 05:46 PM
Hmmm......ok.....

Changing the topic a bit...

What if I were to somehow miraculously get two pokes with max genes and breed them (assuming they can be bred)...what are the chances that the baby would have max genes?

Aarkan
2nd November 2004, 05:48 PM
Completely
Random

starjake
2nd November 2004, 05:58 PM
Dang it.

Why couldn't Nintendo make it exactly the way I wanted it? They never even asked me...such a shame...

P0RYG0N
2nd November 2004, 06:30 PM
Hmmm......ok.....

Changing the topic a bit...

What if I were to somehow miraculously get two pokes with max genes and breed them (assuming they can be bred)...what are the chances that the baby would have max genes?

But the baby could have a much better chance of inheriting two or three max IVs. Although the stats that gets inherited are random, so you'd either NEED two all-max Pokemon for this, or be VERY lucky with two Pokemon that have 1 or 2 max IVs each.

...And you'd have a slightly better chance at more max IVs on a Baby with two all-max Pokemon in Emerald. Yeah. You'd get three or so max IVs right off the bat, but the rest are random. Yeah.

Aarkan
2nd November 2004, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they fixed all the breeding and nature randomness issues with Emerald.
It's like they just forgot to put pants on that day when they were programming Ru/Sa.

P0RYG0N
2nd November 2004, 07:12 PM
Yeah, Pokemon Forever had an update awhile ago about how the IVs can't over-write each other anymore when breeding in Emerald.

starjake
2nd November 2004, 07:17 PM
OK, I'm not going to hog up the board by asking for a breeding explanation...can someone PM me a reliable breeding guide (since telling me on this thread would end up with the person being shot or, worse, warned)?

Aarkan
2nd November 2004, 07:19 PM
uhh... just go on websites like http://www.pokemasters.net/ or google search for websites or gamefaqs and find one of the dozens of excellent guides there.

rinku
2nd November 2004, 07:37 PM
*Breeding hat on*

Emerald has fixed things so that you always get 3 IVs inherited (yay!), instead of "most of the time". It also allows you to somewhat control the inheritance of Nature (which, depending on what the mechanism actually is, might allow some control over gender and shinyness).

Babies with both parents whose IVs are all superior will usually end up with lesser stats (just as babies whose parents have all inferior IVs will on average end up with better stats than their parents). Everything tends to the average. However, you still want the parents to have as good stats as possible, as half of the IVs are still inherited.

starjake
2nd November 2004, 07:58 PM
So...wait...

When I breed two pokes with all max genes in emerald and I get an egg, the stats of the baby will run as follows.

3 genes WILL be max
3 genes will be whatever (proly crappy)

Did I get that right?

rinku
2nd November 2004, 11:21 PM
You got it. On the bright side, there's a 1 in 32 chance of getting a max result randomly, so about 1 in 10 of their babies will have 4 IVs at 31, which is not bad. Heck, any pokémon with *three* IVs at 31 is a prime one.