PDA

View Full Version : Best HM Slave

GirlRepellant
3rd November 2004, 02:05 PM
Who do you think the best HM slave is? In Ru/Sa I used Tentacool with Surf, Waterfall, Dive and Cut, then Tropius with Flash, Strength, Fly and Rock Smash. But now I'm in FireRed, who should I use?

Rudoku
3rd November 2004, 03:56 PM
Marril/Gyarados: Strength/Waterfall/Surf/Rock Smash
Farfetch'd: Cut/Fly

Screw Flash.

rinku
3rd November 2004, 04:02 PM
IMHO Gyarados and Meowth. Since Gyarados does not learn any Flying moves except HP Flying, you'll usually give it a strong Normal attack - Strength is adequate for in-game use. Surf is a good move for it anyway, and Rock Smash is best paired with Strength since boulders tend to occur with smashable rocks.

Meowth is the only Pickup pokémon you get until you beat the Elite 4 and have access to to National Dex. Fortunately it learns both Cut and Flash, so is very handy to complete the HM set you need until you get Fly.

Note that Dive is not obtainable in FRLG and there is nowhere to dive anyway(though imports who know it can still use it in combat) and Waterfall is only available in the second part of the game after you beat the Elite 4. Surf, Fly Cut & Strength are the only HMs needed most of the time. Dragonite can learn all four, if you want a single utility HM slave which is still useful in combat (but it really takes AGES to level one up. On the other hand, it can be useful when training later on if you're trying to hatch a lot of eggs).

Pichu
3rd November 2004, 07:10 PM
I use two ... Oddish: Flash cut. Poliwhirl: Surf, Rock smash, Waterfall, strength.

And I always carry a bird around, so I'm okay with fly

Poryhedron
3rd November 2004, 07:38 PM
I use:

MEOWTH (Pickup)
Dig
Cut
Flash
Pay Day (learns naturally. Great to use during Pickup runs!)

LAPRAS
Surf
Strength
Rock Smash
Waterfall

I use Lapras because you get one automatically anyway. Somebody else suggested that you could replace Meowth's Dig or Pay Day with Thief. Note that Fly is not here either, but I'm in the same position as Pichu on that score. Also, if you're willing to take on a third HMer (such as for a Single-Fighter Challenge,) most Flying-types can learn Thief, so you can stick Fly and Thief on #3.

WaterTrainer
3rd November 2004, 08:02 PM
I don't really fancy flying, as I've a lot of eggs to hatch, I don't really use HM moves that much either. It's mainly Surf I use, and occasionally Waterfall if I'm training in Icefall Cave. In Ru/Sa though, the best HM slaves would be Linoone, Sharpedo and Wailmer. Linoone can learn Surf, Strength, Cut and Rock Smash, while Sharpedo and Wailmer can learn Dive, Strength, Surf and Rock Smash (useful for the undersea cave)