PDA

View Full Version : Not sure...

starjake
4th November 2004, 09:09 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I couldn't find a better place...
Why is it that I can't connect to any servers no matter what I use (Java or mIRC)? Is there some kind of setting on my comp that I need to fiddle with, and (if so), is there a computer guru available who can tell me how to do it?

Chris
5th November 2004, 12:02 PM
This should go in the main forum. This forum is for TPM-related discussion only. :)

I'm assuming you're talking about IRC. If both Java clients and mIRC don't work, it's bound to be a firewall problem. Try opening traffic on UDP and TCP ports 6600-7000 in your firewall or disable it completely, and try again.

starjake
5th November 2004, 12:54 PM
Sorry about putting it in the wrong place...I'm good like that...
Anyways, how do I get to those ports? Keep in mind that I'm not incredibly computer literate.

Aipom Of Doom
5th November 2004, 02:23 PM
Sorry about putting it in the wrong place...I'm good like that...
Anyways, how do I get to those ports? Keep in mind that I'm not incredibly computer literate.
That depends on what firewall you have... Do you know which one and how to get to the settings for it? If you don't, look at the things in the system tray (next to the clock)... One of them probably would have to do with the firewall.

starjake
5th November 2004, 07:14 PM
I have three things in my system tray
AIM
InterCheck
HP Deskjet

As for the kind of Firewall, all I see in the Control Panel is Windows Firewall. I can certainly turn it off, but I did that once and within ten minutes my comp got a virus.

RedStarWarrior
6th November 2004, 04:59 AM
You need some anti-virus software and to stop doing things that compromise the security of your system, such as downloading certain files or going to certain sites.

Moonlight Espeon
6th November 2004, 08:37 AM
It's probably some kind of mistaken blocking problem, your firewall probably think it's malicious because it tries to take certain measures that your firewall would normally pick up on as a virus.
And Raven, if you want to say THAT, then we'd probably lose a whole bunch of members - I visited this site for one second and immediately closed it while I was accidentally connecting from IE, and it gave me a virus that fast.

RedStarWarrior
6th November 2004, 10:39 AM
You wouldn't hear me complaining if we did, ME.

Moonlight Espeon
6th November 2004, 11:08 AM
You wouldn't hear me complaining if we did, ME.

We won't though because people are smart enough to use Firefox, sometimes.

Another suggestion- uninstall and reinstall mIRC. sometimes if the install is glitched it won't work, that happened to me before.

youdontknowme
7th November 2004, 05:34 PM
We won't though because people are smart enough to use Firefox, sometimes.It's not that people are smart or not. It's just that people don't know much about Firefox. They'd rather stick with IE 'cause that's what Windows comes with. They trust MS, therefore they trust IE. (although, they shouldn't be trusting MS)