PDA

View Full Version : Bonemarang vs. Earthquake

CAMountainSnake
12th November 2004, 07:45 PM
I am thinking of giving Earthquake to my Charizrd through a TM. However, I want a strong ground attack on my Marowak. Is Bonemarang, coupled with a Thick Club, comparable to Earthquake on my Marowak?

Poryhedron
12th November 2004, 08:06 PM
Well, actually, Thick Club would apply to Earthquake as well as Bonemerang. Thick Club simply boosts the Attack Stat; it just happens to work only for Cubone and Marowak.
That said, though, Bonemerang is prized by some Marowak trainers because it hits twice. That means it can destroy a Substitute and deal damage to the true enemy in the same turn.

Don't Run With Scizors
13th November 2004, 01:52 AM
Benefits of Bonemerang:

- Hits twice at 50 power per hit, and is thus just as strong as Earthquake
- Breaks Subs and deals damage
- Higher chance for a critical hit on an individual blow (because it hits twice)

Benefits of Earthquake

- 100% accuracy vs. uh... 85%? I forget the exact number.

SecretSmeargle
13th November 2004, 02:29 AM
Also, but not as important as what's already been stated:

Earthquake hit's pokemone who have used dig
Earthquake hits every pokemon in 2VS2 battles
Bonemerand is SLIGHTLY stronger, when damage is calculated. only by 1 or 2 damage most of the time, but sometimes that's what loses you a battle. Then against, missing makes you lose battles too. :P

rinku
14th November 2004, 05:05 PM
While EQ hits all other pokémon in 2v2, the power is split between them. That actually advantages Bonemarang in many 2v2 situations (i.e. if one of the opponents is immune to Ground). Accuracy is an acceptable 90% for the record.

The biggest point of difference is the double hits vs accuracy. Go with whichever suits, though personally I'd stick with Bonemarang because it is one of the very best sub-killers (most other multiple hit attacks need 2 or 3 hits to break the sub, meaning they often do no extra damage.

Since your question was about who to put your only EQ TM on, the answer is easy - leave Bonemarang on Marowak and use the EQ elsewhere. If you really want an EQ Marowak, you can always breed it onto one (which you can't with Charizard). On the other hand, in terms of long-term planning, would you rather breed Dragon Dance onto 'Zard and then use the EQ TM?

Silent Dragonfly
14th November 2004, 05:40 PM
While EQ hits all other pokémon in 2v2, the power is split between them. That actually advantages Bonemarang in many 2v2 situations (i.e. if one of the opponents is immune to Ground).

Actually moves that hit the 3 other Pokémon (like EQ and Explosion) are not reduced in power, but moves that hit both opponents only (like Surf and Icy Wind) ARE halved.

Iveechan
14th November 2004, 05:50 PM
You could always breed a female Cubone with... Rhydon? I'm 99.99% sure Rhydon learns Earthquake on its own. Only bad thing about breeding is that it takes forever to get the right nature.

rinku
14th November 2004, 07:06 PM
Actually moves that hit the 3 other Pokémon (like EQ and Explosion) are not reduced in power, but moves that hit both opponents only (like Surf and Icy Wind) ARE halved.

Oops. My apologies - I was sure I'd read that one somewhere, but checking the usual sources, it seems I was wrong.

@Iveechan: You are correct. It can also be directly bred on from the Mudkip and Larvitar lines, though Rhyhorn is usually the most convenient way in FRLG since RS trading is needed for Mudkip and Larvitar takes a long time to find and level up to where it learns EQ.

HavoX
14th November 2004, 07:59 PM
The HavoX® Institute of Terminology (or H.I.T.)

Lesson #1 -- The Uses/Effects of Bonemerang & Earthquake And Their "Pros and Cons"

Bonemerang
-------------------
Uses/Effects : Attacks twice, duh
Pros : Works best if Cubone/Marowak is holding a Thick Club; First hit can destroy the opposing Pokémon's Subsitute, the second doing damage to that Pokémon
Cons : Only Cubone and Marowak can learn that move; Useless against a Flying-Type (or any Pokémon with the Levitate ability)
Final opinion : Good if you're bad to the bone (or just obsessed with bones), but dont rely on it

Earthquake
-------------------
Uses/Effects : If opposing Pokémon is underground, damage is doubled
Pros : Powerful; Perfect for a Pokémon that has a dangerously high attack power
Cons : Useless against a Flying-Type (or any Pokémon with the Levitate ability)
Final opinion : Recommended http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

P0RYG0N
14th November 2004, 08:45 PM
I really like the fact that Bonemerang can break a sub and then damage the opponent, seeing my bad luck with subs in the past. Could prove to be quite useful against those that use the Subfail/reversal trick. :D 90% accuracy looks good enough to me.

phaedrus
15th November 2004, 03:33 PM
bonemerang's greatest thing is that it is pretty much the only anti-sub. i dun remember if it still hits the subs of flyers.

eq is just your old-school overused-overabused move, but it's worth it.

Rudoku
15th November 2004, 05:16 PM
i dun remember if it still hits the subs of flyers.

If an Earthquake can't touch a flyer/levitator's sub, Boner-rang can't.

rinku
15th November 2004, 05:21 PM
Like all Ground moves, Bonemarang does not affect flyers.

Double Kick is similar, though weaker (depending on type). Rock Blast is a 2-5 hit move powerful enough to do the job as well (though inaccurate). Any of the many 2-5 hit moves can manage the trick, especially if backed up by a strong offensive stat, STAB and/or improved critical hit chances, but Bonemarang is the best one in general.