PDA

View Full Version : A small trick: the Exp. Share Trick.

Orion
13th November 2004, 09:41 PM
OK. I haven't ever seen a Topic regarding this, em, trick. My cousin showed it to me, and I found out it worked. Surprisingly, it works in both GSC and RS. You might know about it, you might not, but for everyone to know, I'll tell you what it's about.

I'll call this trick the Exp. Share Trick. OK, you all know the basics. Exp. Share gives the attached Pokémon half the Experience from a battle, and also gives it the proper EVs. However, there's a small trick that will make the attached Pokémon win about 3/4 the Experience, or even more. Yep, this reduces the amount of Exp. the non-attached Pokémon would get by a lot! And the one attached with the Item will get many Exp. Points.

This trick is nothing of the other world. Actually, it's pretty simple, and I can't believe I never thought of it until my cousin told me the trick. You know that before you get Exp. Share, you can put the weaker Pokémon in the first slot, and when the Battle starts you switch it with a stronger Pokémon and both win half the Experience. Right?

Well. That's what this trick is about. Attach Exp. Share to any Pokémon you'd like to Train AND put it in the first place of the Team (The left side.). When the Battle starts, switch it with your stronger Pokémon, and when you win, you'll see the Pokémon that was attached will win a lot more Exp. Points than the other. It can come in handy when you feel the attached Pokémon wins a pitiful amount of Exp. However, this leads to some constant Switches, which can put you in a bad situation. Still, this trick works.

That's about it. The trick is simple, but it makes the Pokémon you want to train win LOTS of Experience. Try it out, and you'll see.

greensam88
14th November 2004, 01:37 AM
Yeah, thanks for the tip, but I already knew that!

Also, I guess I should add, if you want to EV (effort point) train a lot of pokemon at once (say you need speed EV's for all the pokemon in your party, fight in Diglett's Cave) just attach Exp. Share to every pokemon except the first one, and attach Macho Brace to the first pokemon in your team, you will have really quick EV training!

P0RYG0N
14th November 2004, 01:46 AM
:D I actually just realized this earlier today when I was trying to level-up a Dratini. Pretty effective stuff indeed.

andyizcool
14th November 2004, 04:42 AM
I've been using this trick since Pokemon GSC but funnily I forgot to tell other people about it. Good job for pointing it out to everyone else Orion.

IAmCharlyBrown
14th November 2004, 09:00 AM
This is just, finally, occurring to people? Not trying to be rude or anything, but duh

phaedrus
14th November 2004, 01:34 PM
it's not a trick...

it's how the exp points are divided...

they take the .5 of total exp from being in battle then they add on the exp.share, then the rest of the total exp goes to the actual/additional pokemon that fought.

Sceptile_Master
14th November 2004, 03:43 PM
I'm not trying to flame but it is really obvious.

Orion
14th November 2004, 07:27 PM
Man... when did this place became so rough? A reason I oftenly never start a Thread...

I'm not going "OMG! Best.Trick.Evah!". I actually knew some poeple had found this out casually or something. Only Andy understood what I wanted to do with this thread. This place has changed too much. Now I can't post a Trick some know, but others don't know only because it's obvious? Unlike most of you, some people thinks of others, and I felt this trick could help someone that didn't know.

Whatever... some of you should try to be nicer. And thanks for the info, phaedrus. I felt it was like the Exp. All back in RBY, where the first Poké won most experience, and the rest won a small number. Well, last time I try to inform people about something. I never claimed that this Trick was new, the biggest discovery, or anything of that sort. Maybe I went a bit overboard, but that's how I am... whatever. I advice to some people that if you don't have anything good to say, don't say it.

IAmCharlyBrown
14th November 2004, 11:42 PM
Dude. I didnt mean to set things off on the wrong foot. I just thought that this bit of information was common knowledge. I had figured it out back in GSC when the ExpShare was first given. I didnt mean to offend or anything. I guess the "well, duh" comment was a little harsh though.

phaedrus
15th November 2004, 03:29 PM
i hope my comment wasn't insulting in any manner, and i can't see any....:confused:

i've used it too, but the problem with it is the EV spread if you want to EV train. unless you have some way to coordinate those kinds of things.

PercyPichu24
16th November 2004, 08:11 PM
yea i pretty much new that for like ever, but its a good tip for those that dont know it

u know wuts cool too, i mean its hard to do, but like i remember i had an Abrah at like lv. 5 or so and i put him first with exp. share and then switched to battle a koffing at like lv. 20 or so and i gez my regular pokemon i was battling was like 20 or so, sumthin like that, i dont really remember but the koffing used self destruct and it killed himself and my pokemon and the abrah got all the experience and like gained 6 or more levels, it was pretty cool.

Number1ChanseyFan
17th November 2004, 08:45 PM
Yeah, that trick was called "piggybacking" back in the GSC days when people first discovered it. Another thing that works well is using the Lucky Egg instead of the Exp. Share while piggy-backing. This is especially useful if your stronger Pokémon is not at Level 100 yet, and would benefit from more experience points. If you did the same trick using a Lucky Egg, both Pokémon would get half of the total experience points, however, the weaker Pokémon would get a 50% bonus from the Lucky Egg, which would give it the same amount of experience points as if it got 3/4 of the total experience points. Plus, the stronger Pokémon would still get half of the experience points, instead of the 1/4 that it would get with the Exp. Share trick. Of course, getting a Lucky Egg is incredibly difficult.

rinku
17th November 2004, 09:48 PM
Considering the sheer pain it took me to get my Chansey... uugh... no, too much... can't... face... another... Safari... zone...

Cedrico Ikari
18th November 2004, 01:05 PM
Call me ignorant or anything you want, but I didn't know that and I'm very glad that orion posted it... thanks a lot man!

Poryhedron
18th November 2004, 06:33 PM
u know wuts cool too, i mean its hard to do, but like i remember i had an Abrah at like lv. 5 or so and i put him first with exp. share and then switched to battle a koffing at like lv. 20 or so and i gez my regular pokemon i was battling was like 20 or so, sumthin like that, i dont really remember but the koffing used self destruct and it killed himself and my pokemon and the abrah got all the experience and like gained 6 or more levels, it was pretty cool.
Yeah, some people do that intentionally. They put the pokémon they want to raise in front (you don't need EXP. Share for this) and then fill their party with pokémon who know either of the exploding moves. So they get into a battle, send out the wee tyke first, then switch to an exploder and go BOOM! If that doesn't kill the enemy, they send out another exploder and go BOOMTWO! and eventually the enemy faints. Meanwhile, every pokémon you sent out except the one you're raising also fainted, so it gets all of the EXP...you kinda have to rush to a pokémon center between every battle and it does horrible things to happiness (I think this was mainly used in Red/Blue where that wasn't an issue,) but it sure did get the job done.

rinku
18th November 2004, 07:08 PM
...and it does horrible things to happiness ...

I was under the impression Selfdestruct & Explosion faints didn't give the usual -1 happiness for fainting.

Orion
19th November 2004, 07:51 PM
Well, at least people are now contributing. I also found this trick useful. If only I had known of it back in the GSC times. It would've made the painful path of this Generation less... eh... painful.

Glad this helped you, Cedrico. That was my main intention when posting it. And don't worry, I never knew about it until recently either. Piggybacking? Quite a weird name for this. And I agree the Lucky Egg bit would work better. I've never had a legal Lucky Egg, though.

But now with the Lucky Egg issue, I thought the EXP was only doubled when you had the three raising factors with you. I had the notion that 1 factor raised the earned Exp. by 1/3 the original. FYI, the factors are Wild/Trained, Caught/Traded and No Lucky Egg/Lucky Egg. Oh well, who knows.

PercyPichu24
25th November 2004, 07:17 PM
(I think this was mainly used in Red/Blue where that wasn't an issue,) but it sure did get the job done.

yea, i believe that happened to me in red/blue, maybe gold/silver, but none of the new games.

Deviou$
28th November 2004, 12:46 AM
Yeah...I discovered the first slot/exp. share trick a long time ago, and the explosion trick before that. They're neat tricks, and they're the type that seem to divide people into two groups - the ones that find it obvious the first time and the ones that discover it later and apparently derive joy from it ;)