PDA

View Full Version : Was hit with a trojan virus...

.hacker
15th November 2004, 08:28 AM
This morning, when I entered TPM's homepage, my computer detected a trojan virus and eliminated it. My reason to bring it up is to let others know about this incident and to check their computers for any problems.

Note: Of all the times I have come here, this is the first time to be hit. But, I might as well notify everyone about it.

kainashi
15th November 2004, 10:35 AM
i haven't seen one of those from here in over a year. god bless firefox. :)

Moonlight Espeon
15th November 2004, 03:56 PM
EVERYONE using Internet Explorer has been hit by a virus. Some even Firefox.
I got a trojan from this site too. It's full of viruses, popups, spyware, adware, you name it.
That is why you use Firefox.
I picked up VBS/Psyme and some JS scripting virus from this site. It's not uncommon.

Chris
15th November 2004, 04:40 PM
EVERYONE using Internet Explorer has been hit by a virus. Some even Firefox.

That's slightly inaccurate. Idiots are generally the ones who get infected (not that i'm calling .hacker here an idiot), and on the whole, they use IE. Even Firefox can't stop dumbasses installing malware on their own computers, though it does try incredibly hard.

Cheesey
15th November 2004, 04:47 PM
EVERYONE using Internet Explorer has been hit by a virus.

Like Chris said, that isn't entirely true. I used IE for about a year and a half and I was never hit by any sort of virus. I use Firefox now though; since everyone was like "IE sucks!! Get Firefox!!" I gave in even though I've never had any problems with IE before. Apparently it's very succeptible to virus's and stuff though so yeah... get Firefox just to be safe.

homeofmew
15th November 2004, 04:49 PM
use fire fox some unwanted stuff gets filtered :)
try using a removal thingy for it!

Moonlight Espeon
16th November 2004, 03:06 PM
True. Be that as it may, Internet Explorer users have a higher likeliness to get infected without knowing about it.
Yes, installing viruses, I had a virus that I installed by accident because it told me it was a game (this was like two years ago) and it installed W32/Aplore, that virus that sends out an IP address and when it gets clicked it infects the user, on AIM and such.
Anyway, regardless, get Firefox. XD

mr_pikachu
17th November 2004, 06:02 AM
Um, I think his point in posting the thread wasn't to ask what he should do, but just to let you guys know that there's a trojan virus on TPM. I know him pretty well, and I know he knows how to handle getting rid of a trojan (unless it happened to be a really, really complex or obscure one). The point is, I think he was just trying to help.

Jeff
17th November 2004, 10:24 PM
To keep from getting malware from the Internet, I'd recomend Firefox and a decent firewall, you're bound to find one for free, just Google away.

That along with whatever anti-virus program you have should be good enough protection.

Also I'd recomend doing adware/spyware scans regularly with ad-aware and/or spybot

That's all I do to keep my computer safe and it generally stays malware free. In fact I actually rely on the sp2 built-in firewall (I got tired of 3rd party firewalls blocking everything under the sun) and my computer stays safe.

Thunderchu
18th November 2004, 01:29 PM
OMG what trojan is it?? :s