PDA

View Full Version : Poll | Cheesey

Chikoo
16th November 2004, 10:02 PM
Poll dedicated to our favorite pollster, Cheesey.

1. Have people ever made fun of your name?
2. How did your parents come up with your name?
3. How common is your name where you live?

1. Not made fun of, just mispelled.
2. From a character in a mexican soap opera. :oh:
3. Not too common. I've always been the only Jonathan. :o

Agent Elrond
16th November 2004, 11:18 PM

Nope. (Of course, I believe this has more to do with having an imposing physical structure rather than an un-funny name.)

My parents? What do you mean? I came up with this name, I --- oh, you mean my real one? Well, the moment I was born my mom asked if it was a boy or a girl; they told her (truthfully, I might add) that it was a girl, and she said; "Then her name is [CENSORED]!"*

Not exactly dime a dozen, but not unheard of either.

*Sorry, if you want to know my real name you're gonna have to get on AIM and ask me personally with gifts of chocolate and jasmine flowers. And god forbid if you give me dark chocolate!

shazza
16th November 2004, 11:23 PM
he isn't our favourite pollster.

-yes because in shitty america it is mostly a chicks name
-i dunno.
-not that common, but a few people have it.

Zak
16th November 2004, 11:37 PM
1. Yes, because it sounds funny to Israelis.

2. Um... from the bible maybe (my real name is Zechariah, and although that wouldnt have applied to 1, I went by Zak everywhere). I think it was a name of my ancestor as well.

3. Fairly common in terms of names, but absolutes no one I know spells it ZAK. All the ones I know spell it Zach, Zack, or even Zac. Although I'm probably the only Zechariah, the others are probably Zachary.

~Zak

mr_pikachu
16th November 2004, 11:38 PM
Sort of... back then, it was hard to distinguish between praise and mocking. Especially when switching two of the letters in your name sort of describes what you're known for at the time... ("Brian" becomes "Brain".)

They used some baby names book. I have a feeling the decision also involved liquor, a makeshift dartboard, and possibly other instruments, but let's not go there.

Pretty common, especially for people my age. All through elementary school I was known by my last initial. (Seriously, it's true.)

Jay
17th November 2004, 12:23 AM
I'm sure if I spammed 1,000 polls every month I'd be the favourite pollster too. No matter if I were original or unoriginal. :confused:

1. Yes, particularly with words that rhyme with it. :mad: Not for my real name though.
2. I don't know.
3. Not very common.

Toxicity
17th November 2004, 07:16 AM

1. Classmates harass me for both my first and middle name. My first name because it's not one of those "trendy" names, and my middle name because it's pronounced like its initial (my middle name is Kay, short for nothing). They sometimes call me by the masculine Finnish variant of my name(Lauri), too.

2. They gave it to me thinking I'll end up at least somewhat successful in life. She knew a few people who had that name that were doctors and college professers and such, thus Laura was given. My parents claim that if they knew it I would've had the Irish variant.

3. From what I've seen, I'm the only Laura my age. While everybody in my area has common, trendy names like Tara, Brandon, Alyssa, etc. I'm the only one with a name that seems traditional.

en0miz
17th November 2004, 09:52 AM
Yes. I've been called "Simoney Baloney", "Simian", "Simon", etc. It's all in good fun though. :>

My story is kind of.. odd. Throughout the pregnancy, my mom swore I was going to be a boy, so my name was supposed to be Marcus. Well like a week before my birth, my mom was thinking "Hmm, I should think of a girl name just in case". She was watching the old Arsenio Hall talk show, and LL Cool J was being interviewed. LL gave a shoutout to his girlfriend "Simone", and my mom thought it was a nice girl name. Rest is history..

I know quite a few Simone's here, plus I even know of one with the same birthday as me.

Cheesey
17th November 2004, 10:21 AM
No, they haven't, since pretty much every single group at school has the name Chris. So they can't make fun of it without making fun of their mates (and a lot of the rest of the population, actually). I've never heard anybody make fun of my name and I'm assuming that's the reason, but they might say stuff behind my back, I dunno.

They just liked the name... There wasn't any other reason I don't think.

Very. I know of about 8 Chris's and that's just in my year. There's a bunch I know of in all the other years, and of course there's going to be a lot of people called Chris who don't go to school. I'm sure it's a common name in a lot of the UK anyway.

Kris
17th November 2004, 01:57 PM
1. I get a lot of "Isnt that a boys name???" But no one takes the piss.

2. My parents always loved the name Kristina, but when I grew up I was non girly. So it got shortened.

3. Ive never met another female Kris spelt that way

Tainted
17th November 2004, 03:39 PM
1. Yes, because it sounds funny to Israelis.

2. Um... from the bible maybe (my real name is Zechariah, and although that wouldnt have applied to 1, I went by Zak everywhere). I think it was a name of my ancestor as well.

3. Fairly common in terms of names, but absolutes no one I know spells it ZAK. All the ones I know spell it Zach, Zack, or even Zac. Although I'm probably the only Zechariah, the others are probably Zachary.

~Zak

1) No.
2) My parents wanted their first kid to have a name with a shortform, so they chose "Zachary."
3) Nobody around where I live has my name, which is quite odd-- and if they do, it isn't spelt how I spell mine.

And Zak, nice try... Odd that the only two "Zach's" that sign their name at the bottom of their posts both spell it "Zak," which in my opinion is the uniquest way of spelling it. I remember when people kept asking me why I was hunting Zak (you)... It's my name.

Adieu,
Zak Hunter

phaedrus
17th November 2004, 04:03 PM
1. Have people ever made fun of your name? erica -_-"
2. How did your parents come up with your name? i think it was namedrawn :confused:
3. How common is your name where you live? 1 out of 4 in our high school i think

Moonlight Espeon
17th November 2004, 04:08 PM
1. Oh yes. Very many times. People say it's a girl's name. Bah. I didn't pick it and if I did my name certainly wouldn't be what it is >_>

2. It means "warrior beloved" in some stupid name book. I dunno. I don't get that. But that's what they told me.

3. No. The only other people who have my name that I know are female. >_>

Pichu
17th November 2004, 08:40 PM
CHEESE4EAT!!! j/k

1. Yes
2. My dad's name is Thomas... so ... =P
3. Too common

Lady Vulpix
18th November 2004, 08:43 AM
1. No, I don't think anyone has found my name funny or strange in any way, so no one has.
2. It was the only name they managed to agree upon. No special reason.
3. It's quite a common name here. And timeless too, I've known Gabrielas of all ages.

Jeff
18th November 2004, 09:09 AM
In case you didn't know, my name is Jeffrey, or Jeff for short, I usually go by Jeff

No, It's a pretty common name, no one really makes fun of a common name, unless it's Peter or something.

Named after my dad

Fairly common, I know alot of Jeffs, including my dad and my sister's ex boyfriend, things got quite interesting whenever he came over...

homeofmew
18th November 2004, 06:21 PM
1. Have people ever made fun of your name? I don't think so they made fun of my last name before.
2. How did your parents come up with your name? A damn over used Christian Religous name.
3. How common is your name where you live? I donno I only know a few other people where i live anyway.

Yukitsukai
19th November 2004, 06:37 PM

1) Not really.

2) According to my mom, she just liked it. *shrug*

3) There's 2 other people named Kimberly in my school, but one spells it Kimberlee.

nightcrow
19th November 2004, 08:14 PM
1. Yeah, I get all kinds of good nicknames with my name (Ashley) including but not limited to: Ashtray, Trashley, Ass, Ashole, etc. call me any of those and i will kill you.
2. It was my mom's attempt to be original that my dad would agree with. In england Ashley was still a boy's name then.
3. Pretty common. Mom regrets naming me it now, since it's so overused here in the US :(

Thy
20th November 2004, 02:36 PM
1. My name is Si (short of Silas) and all thime in kindergarten the other kids whould sit there trying to se what would rhyme with my name. That and people misspelling it and mispronouncing it (Cy, Sy, Ci, and people saying sí). It gets annoying.

2. I'm named after my great-grandfather who was a Greek canedyman who lived in New York.

3. No one else I know has my exact name. I have met a few Si's and Cy's but never another Silas. Isn't there another Si here too?

Chris
21st November 2004, 02:09 PM
I've been tolerating bullshit like "Piss-topher" since Day One but it's never been particularly funny or original. 8)

It took them 4 weeks to decide on a name they both liked. It was a kind of spontaneous decision...

Relatively common.

midnightangel
25th November 2004, 03:13 AM
No one except for my mom...has called me "Donna Duck" for quite awhile now. Whatever :sweat:

My mom was going to call me Dawn Janene...one of my grandparents said "Why not call her 'morning' instead??" My mom then came up with the name I have now from two friends she knew and my sister got Janene as her middle name

It's pretty common now. There's always someone named Donna where I go, but it was not that common when I was growing up. Perhaps I started a trend?? :yes:

Crystal Mew
25th November 2004, 10:42 PM
1. No, because its not really a name to make fun of o0;

2. I dunno, it was the name of one of my dad's "friends" but my mom knew a Samantha, and didn't like her, my mom lost the coin toss :(

3. argh, too common. and thats why I hate my name :mad2: I wish I had a more uncommon name, because when someone yells my name, I always look, and no one is talking to me, but to another girl named Samantha, but then people yell my name and I ignore them, cause I don't think they are talking to me. its a mess really..

woz
26th November 2004, 01:55 AM
1. i think everyone has been made fun of for their name when they were young. i received the usual and unoriginal "pisstian" or "christina".
2. i've never asked. i'm not that interested.
3. i haven't met anyone else with the same name.

abunaidesu
27th November 2004, 09:50 PM
No, but they have called me "Triple S" jokingly because my first, middle, and last name all start with a "s". I also have many nicknames but I'm not going to list them :(

My name means "Crown" and I am obviously royalty. 8)

There are about 7 other people I know with my name, so pretty common.